Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

the git book would be better if the first chapter included "here's how we want you to do everything and here are the socialized expectations of contributors to a project"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Share Bear posted:

i'm on team "always merge" so if i can avoid doing rebases (unless the project owner wants me to) i go there

oh I thought we were talking about a local branch

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Share Bear posted:

i'm on team "always merge" so if i can avoid doing rebases (unless the project owner wants me to) i go there

this is probably better

I've never had an issue with it and you get the added bonus of having to look at your changes one more time before committing.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

My workflow:

- Create new branch called "doomtrainphd-work" based off of develop
- Do the work
- copy the stock repo to repo-pr
- Create a new branched with the ticket name based off of develop
- Copy the changes over
- Make a nice commit message and make a new PR.

It's worked great for years and gets rid of 99% of the rebase problems.

that’s just squash-merge with extra steps

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's more of a local squash with a bunch of extra steps. i am continually impressed by the amount of effort people put in to avoiding learning how to use git.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Plorkyeran posted:

it's more of a local squash with a bunch of extra steps. i am continually impressed by the amount of effort people put in to avoiding learning how to use git.

i use git, it works, i branch, i merge

what you're talking about the expectations of contributing to a project in git

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

I know how to use rebase, merge, and squash from the CLI. I just find that I like breaking up my commits into smaller, easier to manage multiple commits for code review, and the few extra steps allow me to do so. :shrug:

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

DoomTrainPhD posted:

26 files changed, 4637 insertions(+), 3970 deletions(-)

hopefully it was worth that 1 story point

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Plorkyeran posted:

To be fair, I can do multi remote workflows and still don't feel like I know how to git.

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i don't understand. what is "copy the stock repo to repo-pr"?

are you running the command "cp" for this?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

DoomTrainPhD posted:

I know how to use rebase, merge, and squash from the CLI. I just find that I like breaking up my commits into smaller, easier to manage multiple commits for code review, and the few extra steps allow me to do so. :shrug:

you can do so without those extra steps.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
yes but the git ux is so terrible that many people are inclined to work around it. the whole point of the system is to track all the changes and never lose them, but you can easily lose your changes by loving up in git

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DELETE CASCADE posted:

yes but the git ux is so terrible that many people are inclined to work around it. the whole point of the system is to track all the changes and never lose them, but you can easily lose your changes by loving up in git

it should really be an apache foundation project

mystes
May 31, 2006

cinci zoo sniper posted:

it should really be an apache foundation project
Only if people lose track of git itself as well

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

it is very difficult to actually lose something you committed to git unless you are in the habit of deleting .git directories or something

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

the only time i've ever lost data in git was when i was turning an existing folder into a new repo, while distracted, and ended up doing a hard reset to the tip of main before i committed anything to it

if you are interacting with a steady state git repository it's basically impossible to lose work

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

git reflog

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
ok but keep in mind that "actually lost the work, permanently" is functionally the same as "must go hat-in-hand to the git wizard at the company who knows the magical incantation to fix my repo", at least for the purpose of making the decision to just cp the dir and avoid doing anything in git beyond the 5 commands you understand

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
git reflog

Now yer the git wizzard

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Xarn posted:

git reflog

Now yer the git wizzard

yeah, fixing the commit graph can be a giant pain in the rear end but you can put the instructions for retrieving stuff from the reflog on a post-it

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
git re-flog --harder --with-gag

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

DELETE CASCADE posted:

ok but keep in mind that "actually lost the work, permanently" is functionally the same as "must go hat-in-hand to the git wizard at the company who knows the magical incantation to fix my repo", at least for the purpose of making the decision to just cp the dir and avoid doing anything in git beyond the 5 commands you understand

or you can take the opportunity to learn how to solve your problem yourself and get better at using the tool you use every day. being able to incrementally learn things as needed is one of the most important skills for a software developer, and that applies to languages, libraries, and tools.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Plorkyeran posted:

or you can take the opportunity to learn how to solve your problem yourself and get better at using the tool you use every day. being able to incrementally learn things as needed is one of the most important skills for a software developer, and that applies to languages, libraries, and tools.

Learn? git outta here

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

i agree with him.

it's crazy that i did the dumbest thing possible to an empty repository and passed all the --yes-really-gently caress-my-poo poo-up flags that exist and i could still have apparently reverted my blunder with the reflog

i am begging you, with tears in my eyes, to please learn how to use your tools

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
TI sucks and their compilers are worse. Why yes, Windows and Linux builds are producing different hex files due to alignment issues and TI's response is :shrug:

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

DoomTrainPhD posted:

TI sucks and their compilers are worse. Why yes, Windows and Linux builds are producing different hex files due to alignment issues and TI's response is :shrug:

all embedded compiler vendors are both dishonest and incompetent in my experience

ask me why I don’t do embedded dev anymore

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

our "it transformation project leadership team" asked me to manually fill out a confluence page to mark how many points I think we should aspire to achieve as part of our 'agile transformation'. This is in addition to the 3 sperate jira projects, approximately 1000 actual jiras, three jira dashboards and one kibana dashboard they've already created to track this.

will we hire people to do the work needed to use the new deploy tools? lol of course not what were you thinking

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

our "it transformation project leadership team" asked me to manually fill out a confluence page to mark how many points I think we should aspire to achieve as part of our 'agile transformation'. This is in addition to the 3 sperate jira projects, approximately 1000 actual jiras, three jira dashboards and one kibana dashboard they've already created to track this.

will we hire people to do the work needed to use the new deploy tools? lol of course not what were you thinking

points as in story points?

answer:
idk, all of them?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

sounds like they want a random number. I recommend random.org

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

12 rats tied together posted:

i agree with him.

it's crazy that i did the dumbest thing possible to an empty repository and passed all the --yes-really-gently caress-my-poo poo-up flags that exist and i could still have apparently reverted my blunder with the reflog

i am begging you, with tears in my eyes, to please learn how to use your tools

if its any consolation, youd have an empty reflog because there arent any commits so it wouldnt have saved you anyway

code:
# setup:
$ mkdir gittest && cd gittest
$ touch testfile
$ git init
$ ls
testfile

# add the file without committing and do a hard reset:
$ git add testfile
$ git reset --hard
$ ls
# file is gone...

# nothing in reflog:
$ git reflog
fatal: your current branch 'master' does not have any commits yet

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
idk what’s so hard, git is just a monad on the blockchain

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
That would actually be easier to understand.

Joe Chip
Jan 4, 2014
maybe i'm the terrible programmer but about 3/4 of my current team thinks nosql is more 'scalable' than our current postgres and anytime i ask when the last time the db went down because it couldn't scale they stop talking to me for a bit lol

based on the number of PRs i've had to reject recently because they tried to add jsonb columns to our tables i suspect the real purpose of nosql is for devs too lazy to properly understand their data model who just want to dump whatever garbage data structure they have into the db without thinking about how to query it, what the performance impact is, or what kind of ugly hack code we'll have to write if the (de)serialization has to be done manually. i suspect i'm going to lose this fight anyway :sigh:

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Joe Chip posted:

based on the number of PRs i've had to reject recently because they tried to add jsonb columns to our tables i suspect the real purpose of nosql is for devs too lazy to properly understand their data model who just want to dump whatever garbage data structure they have into the db without thinking about how to query it, what the performance impact is, or what kind of ugly hack code we'll have to write if the (de)serialization has to be done manually. i suspect i'm going to lose this fight anyway :sigh:

its always this

this is the larger extreme of "never learning your tools"

i have read past the 2nd chapter in the git book now and still don't really care about clean commit histories but hey, i know how they work now

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

Carthag Tuek posted:

if its any consolation, youd have an empty reflog because there arent any commits so it wouldnt have saved you anyway

thanks, i kind of had a hunch that this was the case but i was too lazy to check.

fortunately for me, i had an old folder with all of the pyc files, which i turned back into normal python and restored like 90% of my work. just needed to spend like 20 minutes fixing formatting stuff

normally i would never speak of this but we are in the terrible programming thread

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Joe Chip posted:

maybe i'm the terrible programmer but about 3/4 of my current team thinks nosql is more 'scalable' than our current postgres and anytime i ask when the last time the db went down because it couldn't scale they stop talking to me for a bit lol

No, they're talking out of their rear end and don't want to think about their schemas.

That said with jsonb there is literally no reason to switch DBs if you do just need to serialize a json blob.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
JsonB is good and cool and makes me not have to think about how I store my data.

Then again, I work in embedded and the most data I have to store in a db is at most a few hundred rows lol.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I use jsonb somewhat liberally because it's super easy to take stuff out of it and put it into a real column / table if it becomes useful. alter table add skidmark text not nullable default poop->>'touch'

my rule of thumb is: the moment it needs to appear in a WHERE or JOIN, it comes out of the semi-structured jsonb limbo and gets put into a proper relational structure

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

my rule of thumb there is the same, if you only want the entire thing at once, you can put it in hstore/jsonb, and it's probably faster that way too

if you ever need just a single thing from it, it's time for a real schema

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

does anyone ever pick json instead of jsonb to encourage extraction into proper columns? if you just want to store/retrieve the whole thing, jsonb sounds like not what you want