Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
That suicidal guy had a poison capsule in his mouth, I thought there was dialogue about that but maybe not.

Mooncrash is 100% awesome and will let you play around with Typhon mods if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I really want to do another run but Deathloop's out on Tuesday. Prey captured my imagination and led me to poopsock the game twice back-to-back; I don't know if Deathloop will do the same, but Arkane's record is loving incredible and I don't doubt DL will be great.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
Just blitzed this game in time for Deathloop. Game was loving good. First playthrough I went heavy into security and just played it like the Doom Slayer. Started a second playthrough as Morgan the psychic cavewoman: no guns, no survivors. Fighting the big floating Typhon enemies is a pain in this rear end but watching Phantoms ragdoll around a flurry of wrench blows never stopped being funny.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010

Serephina posted:

That suicidal guy had a poison capsule in his mouth, I thought there was dialogue about that but maybe not.

That's some bullshit someone made up and put on the wiki. I think the implication was he ran into a Typhon on the way to the pod and was severely injured.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

gently caress, Deathloop comes out on Tuesday? I still haven't had a chance to play Death of the Outsider

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Super excited for Deathloop. I loved Mooncrash and it looks like it was something of a prototype for what DL is. Also Arkane are one of the last great single player dev houses, so I'd be excited for what they put out anyway.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

The Vile Stuff posted:

Also Arkane are one of the last great single player dev houses, so I'd be excited for what they put out anyway.

Hard agree here. When Looking Glass cratered it felt like a gut-punch to 17-year-old me, but Arkane rose up to become a great successor studio, and a me 20 years later grinned ear to ear hearing Stephen Russell voice Corvo. They can't do any wrong. (And even though Colantonio left Arkane and is developing Wild West, I don't have any doubt in either his old company or his new project.)

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Phigs posted:

It's an interesting problem. I loved Nethack conducts and thought they should come to more video games. But now that we've seen it in achievement form it definitely feels like a net negative.

Nethack conducts are a good example because they come on top of a roguelike game that's systems based, not a story based game.

If you think about it, "conducts" would make a lot more sense in Mooncrash, where you're really just applying modifiers to a systemic immersive sim. Just like that one goon's card drawing minigame to add modifiers or restrictions.

But because the main game is a long, story driven playthrough, the achievements aren't adding anything to the experience, just taking away from it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Eason the Fifth posted:

I really want to do another run but Deathloop's out on Tuesday. Prey captured my imagination and led me to poopsock the game twice back-to-back; I don't know if Deathloop will do the same, but Arkane's record is loving incredible and I don't doubt DL will be great.

Oh poo poo thanks for the heads up I'd forgotten it was coming out that soon.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Ugh, Deathloop is PS and PC only, no Xbox. Totally unfair.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Remulak posted:

Dead platform

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Remulak posted:

It's technically published by Microsoft, but Bethesda locked in Playstation exclusivity before the MS buyout went through

awkward

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Buller posted:

Dead platform

They get stalker 2

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It’ll be out in ‘22

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

i must compose posted:

They get stalker 2

RIP

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

I'm playing through Prey for the first time currently and I just got all of the clues for Abigail's Treasure Hunt. I was trying to figure out what order to put them in but nothing worked. I tried order of names in email, order in the objective list, and even ordered by dexterity of their characters (thinking maybe it was turn based). After none of these worked I looked around online and none of the places I looked could make sense of the order and had just brute forced it by checking all of the combinations.

The game has been out for 4 years now.... Did anyone ever figure out the trick to the order?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

Btw I just brute forced mine too but working backwards from the answer I still couldn't make sense of why that one was the "correct" one.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

I totally loved this game. They really nailed creating player choices that are thought provoking. In the end, I made the choice that felt right to me, but it didn't feel like the objective "correct" choice.

While I loved it.... I kinda burned out on the combat and roaming about the station by the end. I'm partially to blame because I tried to complete every available side objective. I'm sure if I'd ignored half of them my playtime would've been closer to 20hrs instead of just over 30. I also didn't think the [enemy type] Nightmare was all that interesting. It'd show up and either kill me instantly or I'd wait a few minutes for it to leave. I only ended up using the satellite once because it was so easy to stand in a spot and wait 3 minutes.

Despite doing so much in the station I still feel like I left a lot unseen. Spoilers for everything within: I didn't find the scary chair with a data tower nearby. I never found any info on the murderous cook who had a name listed in the achievement popup but I didn't find him in the security directory. I figure he's one of the prisoner "volunteers". I also just realized that I never found the technopath mind controlling the guy imprisoned early in the game. I was also bummed for Mikhaila to die to a random mimic late in the game when I ran into my office to fabricate something. I'd gone through several story beats with her so losing her to a common enemy was lame. She literally disappeared after the attack and then wasn't present on the shuttle at the end.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The Nightmare is supposed to be there as a fun enemy to fight, not something to just hide from (unless you like hiding I suppose)! Also a good source of materials for more neuromods. There's a reason the satellite can be used to call it as well as dismiss it, and the second use case is mostly for a "I really don't want to deal with this right now, I'm busy" sort of situation. I was always excited when he showed up to get a chance to try out whatever my newest powers were or to figure out the best way to fight him in a new location.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

In my Shotgun Psycho playthrough, the first time the Nightmare spawned I ran screaming towards it with my shotgun out and blasted it to bits. I swear that there were times during that playthrough where the Nightmare ran away from me.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

GlyphGryph posted:

The Nightmare is supposed to be there as a fun enemy to fight, not something to just hide from (unless you like hiding I suppose)! Also a good source of materials for more neuromods. There's a reason the satellite can be used to call it as well as dismiss it, and the second use case is mostly for a "I really don't want to deal with this right now, I'm busy" sort of situation. I was always excited when he showed up to get a chance to try out whatever my newest powers were or to figure out the best way to fight him in a new location.

it's certainly an enemy to fight, anyway

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It was scary for exactly twice, the first time obviously being when it first appears when you don’t know a thing and the objective just pops up going “Hide or Kill.”

The second one as me entering the bridge and it just wandering out the second the loading finished.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's certainly an enemy to fight, anyway

Haha, yeah later in the game I would just light it up. I agree with this sentiment, it didn't really add anything to the game for me. The one time I dismissed it was before I realized I could actually kill it and it was in between me and where I wanted to go. First couple of times it showed up I died before even seeing it so I thought maybe it was invincible or would kill me if I looked at it like the glowing light in that area in Bloodborne.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
I completely avoided it in my first gun-heavy playthrough but I find that I'm quite starved for neuromods as the psychic caveman so fighting it is something of an obligation. It has never been fun.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The whole rest of Prey is built around being a puzzle game - lure the phantoms into the environmental trap, clamber around the environmental hazard and find a way to shut it down, isolate the technopath from all its operators and poo poo; spamming recycle grenades and consumables is basically just a plan B for when you've already hosed up. So a enemy that's just a fat pile of HP that ignores most of the fun gimmicks in the game and either instakills you, gets trapped on some geometry while you dump a shitload of ammo into it, or goes away if you stop playing and hide in a closet for three minutes is a bafflingly awful design choice. Reminds me a lot of a more obnoxious and pointless version of the DXHR bosses

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Sep 15, 2021

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
I was hoping the nightmare would have been more dynamic, in that it became more common if you were jacked up on Typhon mods, almost like a way to balance the higher-powered Typhon abilities, and that the encounters would be closer to something like the big daddy, but it ended up just being an overgrown phantom that had no real plot significance, so that feels like a missed opportunity. I hid the first couple times as I was playing on nightmare and low on resources, but once I had combat focus I was able to take them out with the shotgun in like 5 shots with the nightmare having no recourse. A bit underwhelming tbh.

I'm nearly done with Mooncrash now, and that has been pretty good, the time management aspect reminds me a bit of Dead Rising, with a bit of a Lost Vikings vibe in opening different paths with different characters. I've finished the objective to escape with all 5 crewmates sooner than I thought I would, with just a couple story missions left to go.

I've settled on a strategy that honestly makes the time-management aspect a non-issue that is, start the run with the engineer and clear out every area with your turrets while crafting up as many time delay doodads as you can. At that point you'll have all the control modules you need to get all the areas and tram terminals working, and fixed any blocked doors, gravshafts, and the portal, and from there you can dump all the best loot on the operator for the remainder of your crew; who can just beeline for their objectives with plenty of time to spare. I was able to complete the full evacuation without hitting corruption level 2, kinda killed the tension tbh, but it's a nice feeling to finally have the entire run go so smoothly when you've been panicking and getting killed repeatedly up to that point.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

While this is technically the Prey thread I'm gonna go ahead and toss out a big recommend for Deathloop. Having a blast so far.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Deathloop is good but I don't think liking prey guarantees you'll like it

Full disclosure I rank deathloop over prey already

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I never got into Mooncrash so I'm afraid I won't like Deathloop.

Stockwell
Mar 29, 2005
Ask me about personal watercraft.
From my understanding, Deathloop does have the repeating mechanic, but there's no timer you have to worry about, if that's your main concern. Sounds like you mess around in a level and advance to the next area/time period at your leisure.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Entropic posted:

I never got into Mooncrash so I'm afraid I won't like Deathloop.

Having played Mooncrash and now Deathloop, they are only similar on an extremely surface level. The underlying systems are entirely different, and the actual gameplay is much better developed for the type of game it is.

If you aren't sold for a $60 game (which is totally fair) feel free to watch someone else play it first to see if you'd get into it. It is still however a game I would recommend at full price.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Ok yeah execution-wise its a pretty garbage enemy that's basically just "throw all your damage on it, keep it suppressed, get neuromod mats as reward", but I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be an actual enjoyable challenge?

It's still quicker to kill it than to hide from it once you have a decent amount of power output.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
There's one thing I took advantage of in my last Preythrough that might be worth sharing:

When you're spacewalking outside of the station, you can find exactly one turret with the technopath in the executive suites. If you hack/repair/upgrade it and keep it with you, that makes clearing the outside areas of weavers, cystoids and corrupted operators a breeze.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Wait, you can use turrets in space? Wouldn't the recoil send it flying the gently caress away?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Wafflecopper posted:

Wait, you can use turrets in space? Wouldn't the recoil send it flying the gently caress away?

They stick to surfaces because science (I never used turrets in space thinking that too).

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deathloop plays literally like Dishonored in a new universe and with a few conceptual twists. It even uses a lot of Dishonored's assets and powers. The only thing it has in common with Prey is that you get an arsenal of guns and that it has an overarching storytelling concept.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXLxaKrcFZ0 prey doc just dropped by noclip!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Deathloop has two features that feel very much in reaction to Prey: 1) There are very few physics objects, far fewer than Dishonored or Prey; 2) Portable turrets kick unholy amounts of rear end

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Palpek posted:

Deathloop plays literally like Dishonored in a new universe and with a few conceptual twists. It even uses a lot of Dishonored's assets and powers. The only thing it has in common with Prey is that you get an arsenal of guns and that it has an overarching storytelling concept.

Prey Mooncrash is a bit of an influence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Meanwhile, back where Prey’s creative director landed: https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1422072364750172160?s=21