Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

I started feeling confident about my hand forming skills somewhere between 50-75 pounds of flour consumed just by pizza dough. Im probably at 250 or 300 pounds of flour consumed and I'm still confident, but way way better. And in fact I just started working on a new technique about 25 pounds ago.

But like many things, pizza is beautiful and delicious in all its forms. If a rolling pin works for you then that's what you should use!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
Lately I've been flattening the dough ball with my fingertips until it's about 1/2 the final diameter, working out the thicker areas as much as possible. Then I'll pick it up with the backs of my hands near the edge and work my way around letting gravity do the final stretching.

The biggest things that helped consistency was balling the dough and storing it in a round container for a day or two before shaping.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

Lately I've been flattening the dough ball with my fingertips until it's about 1/2 the final diameter, working out the thicker areas as much as possible. Then I'll pick it up with the backs of my hands near the edge and work my way around letting gravity do the final stretching.

The biggest things that helped consistency was balling the dough and storing it in a round container for a day or two before shaping.

No joke. The biggest thing is putting it cold and bringing it back out. I’ve had good shaping from even just a 6 hour cycle in the fridge. Really so much difference compared to just rising at ambient temp or a proofing contraption. That time spent mostly round with a taught skin has made so much difference in my pizza being round.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Is there a way to do the higher hydration doughs without them ending up needing to be caked in flour on the bottom to move on the peel?

I did like a 68-70% somewhere around there one today and I had to really have like a thin layer of actual noticeable flour on there to get it to move at all and while it's not super unpleasant I guess it just feels weird to have a noticeable dusting of flour on it when you eat it, is that normal for the higher hydration ones or are people using Super Peel kinda stuff to avoid that?

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Stefan Prodan posted:

Is there a way to do the higher hydration doughs without them ending up needing to be caked in flour on the bottom to move on the peel?

I use the peel that came with my roccbox and a little bit of semolina

What round containers is everyone using for dough?

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Brain Curry posted:

For me, same round containers as I use for everything else, which is the plastic containers they give me soup in from chinese places

We accumulated like 20 of them with accompanying lids during lockdown and we just use that for all leftovers now

edit:

basically these

https://epackagesupply.com/1-4-gallon-32-oz-bpa-free-food-grade-round-container-with-lid-t41032-starting-quantity-25-count-free-shipping/

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I haven't tried the shaping, when I do a cold rise I just have everything in one big bowl. I'll give it a shot.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Brain Curry posted:

48 oz tupperwares like these.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
1qt/1L containers have worked best for my ~270g portion dough balls. Gives plenty of room to expand. I bought some nice Cambro brand ones, but cheap deli cup style works well too.

I like the Cambro style because it's shorter and larger diameter, so easier to get into.

sirbeefalot fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Sep 8, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I learned how to make pizza at my dad's restaurant and I'm pretty good at making them circular if the dough is room temperature... if it's cold from the fridge, gently caress that. Also, spinning it in the air is the easiest way to stretch it when you get the hang of it.

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

I made this pizza a while back. Then I made dozens more. It was a moment of goodness in a world of sorrow.

I make them rectangular because I use a cutting board as a peel and a cookie sheet as a stone.

That is all. Here is the recipe:

400g AP Flour (~11% protein); 400g Bread Flour (~14% protein)
500g Water
10g Sugar
15g Salt
5g yeast (doesn't really matter; add more if you feel the need)
13g (1 tbsp) Olive Oil

Optional:
3g Oregano
2g Thyme
50g sourdough starter (if you like)

In stand mixer bowl or regular bowl, add flour and water and autolyse for 20-30 minutes while you contemplate mortality and the truth within pizza.
Add salt, sugar, yeast, and sourdough starter (if using), and kneed or mix until incorporated and shaggy.
Add in garlic/thyme (if using). Mix for a couple more minutes.
Add in oil. If using a mixer, mix on 2 for 6-8 minutes, or until you begin to feel the strength of the dough coming together and a smooth texture develops, with no oil remaining distinct form the dough. If you are kneading by hand, I found the oil incorporates more quickly if you laminate the dough and pain on the oil when you have it all spread out on your surface. Fold it back in and continue kneading until the oil seems to be well incorporated. Dough should have a light spring to touch and seem to taunt you with its youthful buoyancy.

Cut dough into 4 equal (~350g) portions, and store in an appropriate container overnight in the fridge. Best results after 48 hours. Spread on a prepped peel or parchment paper, brush with olive oil/balsamic along the crust. Top it with all your hopes and dreams, then throw it in a 500 degree oven on the top rack for 6-9 minutes, depending upon how distracted you are by the implications of the metaphor.

Repeat 3 more times for 4 pizzas. Eat them exclusively for several meals straight. Embrace nirvana.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've been meaning to try making pizza in teglia. My in-laws in milan love spontini so I'm trying to match their style. The general approach is pan pizza baked without cheese, with a good bit of oil to crisp the base, and then a second bake with stupid amounts of mozzarella on an oregano and anchovy topping:

This looks interesting and as I'm going to be on holiday next week just 1.5 hours from Milan I will try to check it out when I'm there.

As your in-laws are from Milan, do you happen to have any recommendations for (neapolitan) Pizza and/or a good ristorante or osteria to check out?
Finding neapolitan style Pizza in northern Italy is not easy.

bees x1000 posted:

Confession: i've been doing this for ~5 years, made somewhere around a thousand pizzas, and I've never really figured out hand stretching. I just use a rolling pin like a neanderthal. It gets the job done

In my opinion using a rolling pin is fine if you don't particularly want to have a huge airy cornicione.
Nothing to be ashamed of.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Malefitz posted:

As your in-laws are from Milan, do you happen to have any recommendations for (neapolitan) Pizza and/or a good ristorante or osteria to check out?
Finding neapolitan style Pizza in northern Italy is not easy.

Agree on it being hard to find good neapolitan pizza in the north... Milan is kinda hard to make recs for because it's a huge city and swings more heavily towards 'modern' italian dining. I don't think I've ever eaten a neapolitan pizza while there.

Not pizza but I can highly recommend 'Da Giannino l'Angolo d'Abruzzo' which is an abruzzese restaurant in the northeast of the city center.

e: Gino Sorbillo has a restaurant in milan- I've not eaten there but that will for sure be as close to the real deal as you can get this far north.

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Sep 8, 2021

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Not pizza but I can highly recommend 'Da Giannino l'Angolo d'Abruzzo' which is an abruzzese restaurant in the northeast of the city center.

e: Gino Sorbillo has a restaurant in milan

Thanks for the recommendations. First glance both look good. I'll try one of these or maybe the Spontini depending on how long and where we'll stay.
Will report back!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
We’re catering some VIP cabanas for a big music festival in Vegas this weekend, and Ooni was kind enough to donate a few ovens for us to use while we pump out 850 pizzas this weekend (on the books so far).
Works a treat! Far better than when I funded his V1 Kickstarter oven, super slick and easy to use.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ogopogo posted:

We’re catering some VIP cabanas for a big music festival in Vegas this weekend, and Ooni was kind enough to donate a few ovens for us to use while we pump out 850 pizzas this weekend (on the books so far).
Works a treat! Far better than when I funded his V1 Kickstarter oven, super slick and easy to use.

Nice! How many pies per oven per hour are you putting out? I've often wondered if there's a limit with these smaller ovens since they don't have the thermal mass but I guess that works both ways: the burners being so close to the base and the mass being so low they probably bounce back to temp fast.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Any suggestions for reasonably priced ovens that could fit on a small porch and be good for pizza and possibly other things? $100-$200 range? Trying to fill out a Christmas list.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

bees x1000 posted:

Any suggestions for reasonably priced ovens that could fit on a small porch and be good for pizza and possibly other things? $100-$200 range? Trying to fill out a Christmas list.

you could build a clay oven for pretty cheap:

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

Clay ovens are more expensive than you think unless you happen to have a pile of clay in your backyard. (I built one - about $1500).

Edit: also if you want to build an oven, I'd recommend getting a premade refactory interior instead of going cob/clay.

unknown fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 16, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

unknown posted:

Clay ovens are more expensive than you think unless you happen to have a pile of clay in your backyard. (I built one - about $1500).

oh drat. in college I helped my buddy build one and we were broth pretty broke so I don't think it cost very much then. Took a shitload of work though. That summer I made a ton of pizza and it was really fun, and it's the ultimate party food cause they cook so fast in there, love it.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Looking around i guess specialized ovens, even small ones, cost $$$. Guess i'll be content with my stone.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
The $100-$200 range is where you use dirt from the ground and possibly dried lawn clippings, but you'd have to cover it from the rain. That still leaves the floor material as a question.

I'd also look at kits for at least part of any future build I might do because they've improved in quality and price, but nothing for $200.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Made a sheet pan

Fasdar
Sep 1, 2001

Everybody loves dancing!

Dacap posted:

Made a sheet pan

I look at aerial imagery of center-pivot irrigation farms a lot and this short circuited my brain.

Nice job.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Dacap posted:

Made a sheet pan

Sheet pan more like Sheet drat that looks good

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Sesame seed crust.

Sesame seed crust.

I'm intrigued.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

pepperoni crops looking excellent this year

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

Sesame seed crust.

Sesame seed crust.

I'm intrigued.

There’s a local chain here in Toronto called Maker Pizza that does it (as well as everything bagel seasoning crust) and I stole the idea from there

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgxbizhd1b/?utm_medium=copy_link

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Fasdar posted:

I look at aerial imagery of center-pivot irrigation farms a lot and this short circuited my brain.

Nice job.

Center-pivot pepperoni farms.

That thing looks magnificent. :allears:

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Dacap posted:

There’s a local chain here in Toronto called Maker Pizza that does it (as well as everything bagel seasoning crust) and I stole the idea from there

https://www.instagram.com/p/CPgxbizhd1b/?utm_medium=copy_link

When I was a kid I remember Little Caesar's had what they called Crazy Crust, where you could add flavors to the crust. The obvious being there Garlic butter and Parm they put on the breadsticks, but they also had poppy seeds and sesame seeds. I loved the poppy seeds.

I do love how those pepperoni are all lined up in nice little rows, like they are ready to march right into my mouth!

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Dacap posted:

Made a sheet pan

I want to try making one, suddenly. Got a go-to recipe?

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

large hands posted:

I want to try making one, suddenly. Got a go-to recipe?

I followed this for the most part. Only real change was doing standard crust->sauce->cheese structure instead of a layer of cheese before sauce like he does

https://youtu.be/OHX9gOMfrK4

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been making a lot of sheet pan pizzas as I waffle with whether or not I want to buy a baking steel.

I'm boned if I need to make more than one, but it's great for an easy weeknight dinner.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Sep 18, 2021

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Lester Shy posted:

I've been making a lot of sheet pan pizzas as I waffle with whether or not I want to buy a baking steel.

I'm boned if I need to make more than one, but it's great for an easy weeknight dinner.

oh wow, this is what I'm talking about!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I've been meaning to try making pizza in teglia. My in-laws in milan love spontini so I'm trying to match their style. The general approach is pan pizza baked without cheese, with a good bit of oil to crisp the base, and then a second bake with stupid amounts of mozzarella on an oregano and anchovy topping:

StarkingBarfish posted:

e: Gino Sorbillo has a restaurant in milan- I've not eaten there but that will for sure be as close to the real deal as you can get this far north.

I checked out the Spontini and I actually loved it! I had the traditional one with anchovis and my gf had Vegana with capers and olives.
I obviously prefer Pizza Napoletana but the Spontinis were a very nice change to mix things up.

I also checked out Gino Sorbillo's Pizzeria and while it wasn't the best Pizza Napoletana I ever had it was certainly solid.
I found it funny that the 'Margherita Bufala' was a normal fior di latte Margherita with a smudge of mozzarella di bufala in the middle for 4€ more.

I didn't get a chance to visit 'Da Giannino l'Angolo d'Abruzzo' because the walk would have been a bit too long and we were tired so I went to a place nearer to the Hotel we were staying at, called 'Viaggi Nel Gusto', and it was awesome!

And as Pizza thread tax, here one of my latest own Pizzas:

Mozzarella, pecorino, ham, mushrooms, black pepper, basil

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Oh nice! Pity Sorbillo was only so-so, but glad spontini checked out ok. Good choice on the ichnusa to wash it down.

Your own pizza looks amazing- it's telling that it's the best of the three!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Your own pizza looks amazing- it's telling that it's the best of the three!

Thanks, that means a lot from you!

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
Well, I've gone and done a thing - signed on a lease for a commercial space for my own brick and mortar pizzeria and restaurant. We have a complete build out to get through but aiming for a spring 2022 opening! This thread has seen most of my journey over the last 8-10 years making pizzas, so it felt natural to share the news. Thanks y'all.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ogopogo posted:

Well, I've gone and done a thing - signed on a lease for a commercial space for my own brick and mortar pizzeria and restaurant. We have a complete build out to get through but aiming for a spring 2022 opening! This thread has seen most of my journey over the last 8-10 years making pizzas, so it felt natural to share the news. Thanks y'all.

Congrats and good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
Congrats. Keep posting pics of pizza. Wanna see the first pie you sell.