Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Lacrosse posted:

I got J&J in early April and lied my way into a Pfizer shot in August. I was due for shot 2 last week but didn't want to mess up my weekend plans so I didn't go. Now I'm getting cold feet after reading about how myocarditis is something that crops up on the second mRNA dose for some people. Should I go back for shot 2 or just stick with what I've got?

do we have any numbers on myocarditis frequency or outcomes with this

i mean of course not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Lacrosse posted:

I got J&J in early April and lied my way into a Pfizer shot in August. I was due for shot 2 last week but didn't want to mess up my weekend plans so I didn't go. Now I'm getting cold feet after reading about how myocarditis is something that crops up on the second mRNA dose for some people. Should I go back for shot 2 or just stick with what I've got?
You basically have the equivalent of one Pfizer dose so it's up to you whether you want covid or not.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Lacrosse posted:

you should not take medical advice from posters, hth

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the goalposts moving to "well after two shots you almost certainly won't get severe Covid" is so loving ridiculous and deceptive since they define "severe" Covid as requiring hospitalization. it can still totally gently caress you up but as long as your O2 saturation stays over 93 or whatever that's a "mild" case.

what other things can we say are "safe" since the injuries won't put you in the hospital overnight? most urgent care places can handle a broken bone after all.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
Today

Yesterday (fixed?)

Tennessee is healing :unsmith:
Those NW states :stare:

covidactnow.org

Bruce Hussein Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Sep 15, 2021

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Today

Yesterday

covidactnow.org

:laugh: montana and Utah

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/crulge/status/1438163774393962498?s=20

Not sure I'm understanding Tim's argument? I can see how masking could change efficiency in a positive way but wouldn't the placebo group also have lower incidents of infection to offset it and basically even things out?

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

Wouldn't worry about the myocarditis too much as it's rare.

Non-US places, like Canada, did the whole single AZ (adenovirus) + single mRNA dose spaced months apart due to vaccine supply problems. This is what my own parents received for example. Apparently it leads to very good antibody levels, comparable or even better than levels achieved just after a second mRNA shot using the normal 2-dose schedule spaced weeks apart. You're probably as well protected as anyone, getting a Pfizer shot now would either be ineffective or would push your antibody levels above what was demonstrated to already achieve 95% (against wild-type).

In your shoes I wouldn't bother about the second dose right now, maybe consider an early booster if and when they're legitimately allowed.

Also:

Dren posted:

edit:

Shifty Pony posted:

the goalposts moving to "well after two shots you almost certainly won't get severe Covid" is so loving ridiculous and deceptive since they define "severe" Covid as requiring hospitalization. it can still totally gently caress you up but as long as your O2 saturation stays over 93 or whatever that's a "mild" case.

what other things can we say are "safe" since the injuries won't put you in the hospital overnight? most urgent care places can handle a broken bone after all.

Exactly, esp as a non-severe case still runs the (small) risk of preventing you from working a normal job for who knows how long. It's completely absurd the CDC is only tracking "severe" cases requiring hospitalizations, even posters itt have reported significant breakthrough case symptoms that would be considered severe by any sane metric.

Nocturtle fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 15, 2021

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Shifty Pony posted:

at least one of my heart surgeries was outpatient and didn't require an overnight stay. I think it was either an ablation, some other catheter procedure for a stent, or a cardioversion. So I guess mild covid cases have the same level of severity!

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Today

Yesterday

covidactnow.org

Looks like you went back an extra day when looking for yesterday's. Yesterday you posted this one for the daily.

Today

Yesterday

oof.

covidactnow.org

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

Have we confirmed that Ivermectin is good? Please help me posters.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Dren posted:

I got my PHD is advising people to shove horse paste up their asses as folk cure that Big Pharma hates.

It's a living!

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

Become horse. Eat paste.

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Can i get the internet to throw the horse paste through my window. I'm too scared of chuds to go in a Tractor Supply

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

get with the times grandpa, it's coconut oil now we're all plugging coconut oil up our assholes

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zeriel posted:

Become horse. Eat paste.

Get vaxxed *and* eat the horse paste for max protection

Mr. Ed Balls

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Nocturtle posted:

Wouldn't worry about the myocarditis too much as it's rare.

Non-US places, like Canada, did the whole single AZ (adenovirus) + single mRNA dose spaced months apart due to vaccine supply problems. This is what my own parents received for example. Apparently it leads to very good antibody levels, comparable or even better than levels achieved just after a second mRNA shot using the normal 2-dose schedule spaced weeks apart. You're probably as well protected as anyone, getting a Pfizer shot now would either be ineffective or would push your antibody levels above what was demonstrated to already achieve 95% (against wild-type).

In your shoes I wouldn't bother about the second dose right now, maybe consider an early booster if and when they're legitimately allowed.

My aunt lives in Canada and got one AZ and one Moderna which is why I felt comfortable getting one shot of Pfizer. I upgraded to a KN95 (or respirator mask depending on the situation) and I'm not doing stupid poo poo like flying down to Disney World so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances at avoiding Covid.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Homocow posted:

open biden

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Not sure I'm understanding Tim's argument? I can see how masking could change efficiency in a positive way but wouldn't the placebo group also have lower incidents of infection to offset it and basically even things out?

Tim needs to realize that more infections is the strategy. There seems to be an assumption that more spread will lead to the evolution of variants that are less severe.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Fix posted:

Looks like you went back an extra day when looking for yesterday's. Yesterday you posted this one for the daily.

Thank you. loving imgur. I think I fixed it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Thread, I never imagined this would happen to me.

I was afraid of COVID. 1 in 5 Americans dead. Scary stuff. I got a vaccine as soon as possibile. Now, that isn't enough. I needed boosters. But the FDA refused. The cowards.

I knew a guy who knew a gut who knew a guy. Now I have a box of vaccines. Moderna. Good poo poo.

It was a mistake, of course. I only wanted one. A booster. But, this, this was worth the money. True endless immunity. Like a God. Like a Billionaire. Real Healthcare, so rare

At first, I just took one shot and let it sit a week. Then, I got tired. Worse, worried. What if they expired before I used them all. I did them more frequently. Constantly. I got into an ever accelerating routine.

Now, it's the same. Every day, at 12pm, I inject it in the same spot. It has to be the same spot. It must be to work right. The arm has turned black and necortic. It was a slow process, at first. First, my finger nails fell off. Then the thumbs. Then the fingers. Then the hand. It's more a tentacle than an arm. My other arm has begun bigger. The muscles more pronunced. I feel stronger. Bolder. Angier.

I am no longer a womanlet. Once 5'6, I am now an Amazon at 6'7. My height never stops. I feel I may become a giant. My skin has trouble accounting for this growth. My head split. The blood was oozing green. Green. The color of health. With my three remaining teeth, I smiled at the sign.

I feel different. Mentally. I have slowed. Speaking is harder. My tongue can't stay in my mouth. It is now as long as my arm once was.

Words are hard to process more and more.

I feel so itchy. And tasty.

Itchy. Tasty.

I am immune. I am COVID. I am American.

I am safe.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
Kentucky looking like on its way to looking like Tennessee!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

One thing that we don't have much info on as far as I know is how much viral load impacts whether you'll get sick if exposed post vaccination. I think the implication the author is trying to make is that during the Phase 3 trials most of the time someone got exposed it was a low viral load because NPIs limited the exposure. But now that we are full Open Biden people are more likely to spend hours bathed in COVID and that's enough to overwhelm the vaccines. Since the unvaccinated people get COVID either way they don't see a big change but vaccinated people see lower vaccine effectiveness because they are getting exposed to, on average, much higher amounts of COVID.

That's my guess anyway, I dunno if I explained that very well.

Reapermort
Feb 25, 2006

cr0y posted:

Moderna is probably better but we aren't totally sure and I do know that the third full size moderna shot is wrecking people whereas #3 Pfizer seems to be pretty dang mild. A third of either should keep your comfortably out of harm's way for some time while we figure out if we want to start trying to scam variant targeted boosters.

Good broad immunity is great, but I don't know if we want to train the immune system to have a giant debilitating response for a virus that causes some major problems because of the bodies natural response in the first place (cytokine storm).

I'm happy with 3x team P for the time being.

3xM here. Third Moderna we received was half the initial two doses. Had less side effects with shorter duration.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

he's not looking at the placebo group though, he's just looking at during trial we saw 10% breakthrough or whatever but now many months post trial we see 20% breakthrough. something changed

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

neigh

McNugget Buddy
Aug 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/NaphiSoc/status/1438141445429346306

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I think the people in charge of running things are attempting to avoid mass panic/civil unrest and have been afraid that being honest at any point during the pandemic would make everyone lose their cool.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Dren posted:

probably get better advice than you will from the cdc

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Shifty Nipples posted:

I think the people in charge of running things are attempting to avoid mass panic/civil unrest and have been afraid that being honest at any point during the pandemic would make everyone lose their cool.

this is like a conspiracy mindset
thinking anyone is running things

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

so it doesnt do poo poo basically to boost with the OG vaccines

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

mod sassinator posted:

he's not looking at the placebo group though, he's just looking at during trial we saw 10% breakthrough or whatever but now many months post trial we see 20% breakthrough. something changed

yes, and I'm wondering why he isn't attributing that to delta and waning instead of masking

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Israel will start giving booster shots daily before they give Palestinians a first dose

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

quote:

By Cara Murez, HealthDay Reporter
COVAX Cuts Global COVID Vaccine Supply Estimates By a Quarter

(HEALTHDAY)

MONDAY, Sept. 13, 2021 (HealthDay News) -- Fewer COVID-19 vaccine doses than expected will be available through the global COVAX program, affecting many less-affluent nations waiting on these doses.

The United Nations forecast last week that it would have about 25% fewer vaccines to distribute through COVAX this year — 1.4 billion compared to an earlier projection for 1.9 billion doses, The New York Times reported. Both numbers are far smaller than the 11 billion doses experts have recommended to slow COVID's spread.

While COVAX had planned to deliver 785 million doses by now, it has actually delivered 245 million. Most were free to poorer nations, with the rest to countries like Canada that paid for their doses.

The setback was attributed, in part, to uncertainty about when a major vaccine manufacturing site in India would resume exports, the Times reported. Other contributors include problems stepping up production of AstraZeneca and Johnson & Johnson vaccines, as well as delayed approval of one from Novavax.

"COVAX is making strenuous efforts to address and mitigate these risks," the program said.

The Times said those efforts included talks with the Indian government, which halted vaccine exports in the spring, and urging manufacturers to not prioritize individual countries over COVAX.

Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) asked wealthy nations to hold off until year's end on giving booster shots to healthy individuals.

"I will not stay silent when the companies and countries that control the global supply of vaccines think the world's poor should be satisfied with leftovers," WHO Director General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Wednesday.

The Times reported that Tedros called on ministers of wealthy nations to divert their short-term vaccine deliveries to COVAX and fulfill donation pledges by the end of September.

Last year, rich nations paid premiums to secure their own shots and were slow to pledge aid to COVAX.

An estimated 0.4% of COVID vaccine doses have been administered in low-income countries so far. About 81% of doses have been given in high- and upper-middle-income countries, according to the University of Oxford's Our World in Data project.

While the White House has pledged hundreds of millions of doses, it said last week it would invest $2.7 billion to ramp up production of vaccine components, according to the Times.

The United States has already donated or shared 140 million vaccine doses with more than 90 countries, more than all other countries combined, according to White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki.

"Our view is we can do both," she said, according to the Times.
https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2021-09-13/covax-cuts-global-covid-vaccine-supply-estimates-by-a-quarter

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

oh wonderful

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Lacrosse posted:

My aunt lives in Canada and got one AZ and one Moderna which is why I felt comfortable getting one shot of Pfizer. I upgraded to a KN95 (or respirator mask depending on the situation) and I'm not doing stupid poo poo like flying down to Disney World so I'm feeling pretty good about my chances at avoiding Covid.

Exactly, you've just replicated the vaccine schedule that millions of people in Canada, the UK, Australia (other places?) have undergone with very favorable results. It's criminal the US govt isn't providing any guidance for people who received a single JJ dose or just endorsed the mRNA booster already, given how similar it is to the AZ vaccine. They can claim there's no data but they're not seriously tracking breakthroughs and the number of people that received JJ is so small anyway.

You just had the mRNA dose so you should be good for a while given measurements of how well the vaccines have generally held up for the first 6 months, at least for <60 year old people. Really trying not to give specific suggestions because I'm a dumb idiot, but sounds like you're in a pretty enviable situation wrt COVID right now. Do you have kids? If not, why are you even reading this thread? You're already wearing the respirator, there's nothing more for you to learn here.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

yes, and I'm wondering why he isn't attributing that to delta and waning instead of masking

Because delta is a thing that we can just :shrug: its a mutation masking is more inconvenient for capital

OK baizuo
Mar 19, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Freedumb!

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Like poetry it is. Deadly, deadly poetry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002