Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Huh and I thought apple said app developers could decide to disable True Tone while viewing certain things. guess my mind likes to make up useful things apple could implement

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Just a little notice that if you have an out-of-warranty Apple Pencil with a crap battery then Apple will swap if out for a $29 charge.

Wife was looking at replacement pencils until I realized they do "repairs" on these with bad batteries for not much money.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

hatty posted:

Huh and I thought apple said app developers could decide to disable True Tone while viewing certain things. guess my mind likes to make up useful things apple could implement
I've seen apps override night shift on my Mac, so wouldn't be surprised if it and True Tone could be overridden on iOS too. Or perhaps you heard it as something coming with iOS 15 :iiam:

The issue with doing it per app vs switching it off globally is that things can be a bit of an adventure if you're working with multiple apps, like the screen colors can change around every time you switch depending on the apps. It's better to just turn it all off for overall consistency in that scenario.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
New Purp iPad mini looks nice as hell

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

hatty posted:

New Purp iPad mini looks nice as hell

I knowwwww

That starting price tho

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The lack of M1 tho.

M1 in all the things!!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

xzzy posted:

The lack of M1 tho.

M1 in all the things!!

have the courage to fix the operating system first!!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Why does it say that the ipad mini has "all-screen design"? The image below that blurb clearly has bezels...

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

tuyop posted:

Why does it say that the ipad mini has "all-screen design"? The image below that blurb clearly has bezels...

Marketing, mostly.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

I had a good chuckle earlier at the "new edge-to-edge screen" (with narrow borders).

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

tuyop posted:

Just means they got rid of the home button

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

have the courage to fix the operating system first!!

Woa buddy let's try to keep our wishes in the realm of possibility.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Protocol7 posted:

Marketing, mostly.

"Mostly" lol

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lmfao USB-C on the mini

The only devices still using lightning connectors on the planet are the increasingly ghetto iphone, mighty mouse, and I guess, the airpods charging case at this point? Rapidly shrinking lightning cable universe

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Mini looks nice, and for a hot minute it had me tempted, but hell no if it doesn’t have the M1.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Hadlock posted:

increasingly ghetto iphone
:raise:

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Am I weird for vastly preferring lightning to USB-C? Maybe it’s just been bad luck with cheap USB-C cables.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Lightning is fine but USB-C is on my MacBook, iPad, switch, and my Headphones. iPhone is the odd duck out and I’d like the option of just bringing one type of cable for everything. Not enough to get an android but enough to buy the next iPhone that has it

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Well Played Mauer posted:

Am I weird for vastly preferring lightning to USB-C? Maybe it’s just been bad luck with cheap USB-C cables.

Yes and yup probably

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
lmao if you aren't using Qi or Magsafe to charge your phone

Qi pucks are like $5

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

lmao if you aren't using Qi or Magsafe to charge your phone

Qi pucks are like $5

*eyes $800 FreePower charging base covered in blue Ferrari leather

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

once you set your phone on a charging pad and don’t have to gently caress with the port, it’s really hard to go back

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

I use my old rear end Android tablet daily (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 2014) for reading ebooks, browsing/wasting my life watching youtube, playing some light games like Star Traders, etc. Looking to upgrade though as I'm still stuck on Android 7 Nougat and it's slow as hell, honestly, battery life is very bad.

What's the general feel of the community on the new iPad Mini? From what I'm reading on the reddit bulletin boards, people seem to like it and the form factor (yes!! love that it's more square than the Galaxy Tab I've got as that height makes it kind of hard to one-hand sometimes, and I don't want a full size tablet so stepping up to the Air isn't in the cards, despite being a better value proposition) but the consensus seems to be that it's pretty overpriced and that the 64-->256gb jump is a shameful way to take your money, which I can definitely see.

Personally, I like the look of it, though the bezels look a bit out of proportion with the screen, but I understand it's to make the ergonomics actually work so you're not palm-inputting constantly. Shame it's got no M1 but I didn't really expect that, but as I understand it the A15 Bionic is pretty much expected to be the bees knees that isn't M1? I'm hoping to get the same lifespan (6+ years) as my old tablet. This would become my portable gaming device as well and replace my aging Galaxy S9 for that use case; I'll be picking up XCOM2 for it (the rare game triple purchase!) and whatever other premium games like Titan Quest, Star Traders etc.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Show me any other consumer device being released in 2021 that has a proprietary charging cable, it's really really hard to find an iphone cable in 2021 without having to buy a spare

At least, as the other guy pointed out, iPhones at least support qi charging standard. Having your own special cable used to be cute but with literally every other device on the planet having USB-C now, even consumer ipads, it's just... Sad

You've not known convenience until you charge your phone with your laptop charger... Or vice versa on a trip somewhere

I only buy Anker cables, haven't had any issues yet

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I don't have any USB-C devices but I would happily make the switch on iPhone and iPad Pro to USB-C if it meant I could just charge my stuff at an Android-using friend's house without having to bring my own cables.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Question Mark Mound posted:

I don't have any USB-C devices but I would happily make the switch on iPhone and iPad Pro to USB-C if it meant I could just charge my stuff at an Android-using friend's house without having to bring my own cables.

good news about iPad Pro

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ok Comboomer posted:

good news about iPad Pro
Ain’t upgrading my 10.5” Pro until I can get an iPhone with a matching cable.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

See you in two to three years

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I use my old rear end Android tablet daily (Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 2014) for reading ebooks, browsing/wasting my life watching youtube, playing some light games like Star Traders, etc. Looking to upgrade though as I'm still stuck on Android 7 Nougat and it's slow as hell, honestly, battery life is very bad.

What's the general feel of the community on the new iPad Mini? From what I'm reading on the reddit bulletin boards, people seem to like it and the form factor (yes!! love that it's more square than the Galaxy Tab I've got as that height makes it kind of hard to one-hand sometimes, and I don't want a full size tablet so stepping up to the Air isn't in the cards, despite being a better value proposition) but the consensus seems to be that it's pretty overpriced and that the 64-->256gb jump is a shameful way to take your money, which I can definitely see.

Personally, I like the look of it, though the bezels look a bit out of proportion with the screen, but I understand it's to make the ergonomics actually work so you're not palm-inputting constantly. Shame it's got no M1 but I didn't really expect that, but as I understand it the A15 Bionic is pretty much expected to be the bees knees that isn't M1? I'm hoping to get the same lifespan (6+ years) as my old tablet. This would become my portable gaming device as well and replace my aging Galaxy S9 for that use case; I'll be picking up XCOM2 for it (the rare game triple purchase!) and whatever other premium games like Titan Quest, Star Traders etc.

New iPad mini should be fine for 6 years. If it’s the form factor you want go for it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hadlock posted:

it's really really hard to find an iphone cable in 2021 without having to buy a spare
lol what? How are they "really really hard to find"? They literally sell them in gas stations.

I don't really care either way, but that's a ridiculous statement.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Trying to argue anything that contradicts the convenience of being able to charge your phone off your laptop charger is ridiculous :colbert:

People are going to look back in 5 years and say "I can't believe apple managed to hold out on USB-C for iphones for so long. Can you believe people white knighted that poo poo?"

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I think it is pretty dumb they're still clinging onto Lightning on the iPhones, but also I just buy wireless chargers and cannot genuinely remember the last time I actually plugged in my phone.

So just make it a USB-C already, you cowards.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

they are clearly headed that way, I would guess that the rumored new design of the iPhone for next year will be usb c

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I plug in my iphone at work but I use one of those 15w charging bricks and a multi-cable because some of my clients are going to have USB Mini or USB-C phones and will need to charge their phone while I work on them.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Hadlock posted:

You've not known convenience until you charge your phone with your laptop charger... Or vice versa on a trip somewhere

My Razer laptop also has a proprietary charger, so it's just as easy for me to plug a USB cable into the laptop.

I think the only devices I have that take a USB-C charger are my Switch (which is pretty much permanently docked), my Oculus Quest 2, and a couple of 8Bitdo controllers. Even my PCs are old enough that they don't have USB-C anywhere on them, except for the laptop.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Hadlock posted:

Trying to argue anything that contradicts the convenience of being able to charge your phone off your laptop charger is ridiculous :colbert:

People are going to look back in 5 years and say "I can't believe apple managed to hold out on USB-C for iphones for so long. Can you believe people white knighted that poo poo?"

lol white knighting apple products?! :monocle:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I don't think people are white knighting Apple products so much as pointing out that not having USB-C isn't a "deal breaker" for a lot of people.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

FCKGW posted:

I don't think people are white knighting Apple products so much as pointing out that not having USB-C isn't a "deal breaker" for a lot of people.

Yeah, that's basically my take. I'd prefer USB-C if I had a choice but like I said, I don't ever plug in my phone so it's a moot point anyway.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
External storage support would be pretty cool too. lightning adapters are pretty spotty in my experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Referring to it as proprietary cable is correct but also misleading in this context because it's so popular that it's absolutely not hard to find a lightning cable if you ever need one and it's not like people are not buying lightning devices anymore.

I'd rather everything I have be usb-c but honestly, with multi-port usb-c gan chargers being a thing and being pretty cheap it's not a big deal having to bring one extra cable with me in any situation where I actually have to bring a charger somewhere.

Non-garbage usb-c to usb-c cables do seem to be cheaper than usb-c to lightning cables though. That irks me more than having to carry two different types of cables with me.