Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

tagesschau posted:

I thought that it served to keep the promotional materials separate, so you don't have people printing off American coupons and demanding to get five hamburgers for a dollar because the American chain is offering it. Also, where the maple leaf replaces an apostrophe (Wendy's), you have plausible deniability that it's an apostrophe when the OQLF comes knocking.

something tells me the tiny little maple leaf at the center of the mcdonald's M is not accomplishing this

it's 100% just pandering, and really only possible because the maple leaf is so insanely iconic in all meanings of the word. it's not like French and German mcdonalds locations have such an easy shorthand for reminding you that they're in THIS country now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
New Brunswick is introducing their Vaccine Passports Proof Of Vaccination system next week.

The absolute terror the word passport instills in politicians is amusing. They'll call their passport system literally anything else to avoid the connotation.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

flakeloaf posted:

The Apostrophe SS disagreed, which is how Eaton's became Eaton-great-big-fuckoff-maple-leaf

Tim Hortons just knuckled under rather than pick the fight

That only lasted a couple years. After the involvement of the supreme court and the following government, the law was tweaked to explicitely allow trademarked names in any language, which is why we have Best Buy, Toys R Us, Wal Mart, Apple and Canadian Tire all over the place. There was an attempt to change that at some point in the 00's I think but it was struck down in cour supérieure.

So to the person I was replying to, there is no point as of today to "hide" the apostrophe with a maple leaf. It would be perfectly legal as it stands.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

My vaccine is my passport, vilify me

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gros Tarla posted:

That only lasted a couple years. After the involvement of the supreme court and the following government, the law was tweaked to explicitely allow trademarked names in any language, which is why we have Best Buy, Toys R Us, Wal Mart, Apple and Canadian Tire all over the place. There was an attempt to change that at some point in the 00's I think but it was struck down in cour supérieure.

So to the person I was replying to, there is no point as of today to "hide" the apostrophe with a maple leaf. It would be perfectly legal as it stands.

why did quebec hate apostrophes in the first place

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

No possessive S in French, so a sign that has one is Obviously English, which is a problem because etc.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

why did quebec hate apostrophes in the first place

It was never about apostrophes specifically, the whole signage had to be in French. And if there was ambiguity with a name and then you add an apostrophe, then it made it clear it was english. That was initially, at least. Now, all trademarks are allowed in whatever language (including apostrophes), as long as there's french signage too. So for example, Best Buy has "magasin électronique et électroménagers" or stuff like that near it.

As for Eaton's specifically, they were famously hated here because they would refuse to hire/serve french people altogether. Which is probably why they went after them first lol.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

As for Eaton's specifically, they were famously hated here because they would refuse to hire/serve french people altogether. Which is probably why they went after them first lol.

Yup, and they got what they deserved for it.

Federally, we insist on cancon requirements in media to protect our culture. Insisting on French signage in Quebec is no different it's totally fine. If you can't be bothered to at least make it look like you're willing to try speaking to people in their language, don't address them.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mila kunis posted:

I thought the ppc was just facebook brainrotted boomers but it's got chan morons as well. Very diverse party.

oh lol this guy's a fuckin teacher

Apparently he's a computer lab teacher, which apparently is something that basically anyone can just walk in and become, no questions asked. My high school computer sciences teacher was some self-made tech millionaire who just walked into the principal's office and said "Hi, I'm a self-made tech millionaire, I want to teach computers", and then he just never bothered to teach us anything for entire semester. Glad to see that practice is still in place across Canada.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gros Tarla posted:

It was never about apostrophes specifically, the whole signage had to be in French. And if there was ambiguity with a name and then you add an apostrophe, then it made it clear it was english. That was initially, at least. Now, all trademarks are allowed in whatever language (including apostrophes), as long as there's french signage too. So for example, Best Buy has "magasin électronique et électroménagers" or stuff like that near it.

Wow I never knew that about Eaton's, that's intensely lovely.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller

Gros Tarla posted:

Best Buy is a common example but it's weird to me because there's nothing about the English words to suggest they're a consumer electronics store. But a store named "Meilleur Achat" wouldn't legally need to have prominent signage describing what they sell.

Now I'm imagining stores like Vieille Marine and La Cible popping up.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Here's how you can tell you've run a successful campaign and your tenure as a party leader was a prosperous one: CBC: Annamie Paul says she's considered stepping down as Green party leader with five days to go before the election even happens.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
I didn't know the UCP was selling these last summer

:chud:

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

Wow I never knew that about Eaton's, that's intensely lovely.

In the case of Eaton's specifically, it was because it was trying to be a classy place for classy people and for them it de facto excluded the quebecois that were viewed as working class trash. Otherwise, Eaton was a big name but it was pretty common back then for many businesses, for various reasons, which is why the pendulum swung heavily the other way with bill 101.

You may or may not agree with it, that's fine, not here to argue that. Just giving some historical context.

Petanque posted:

Best Buy is a common example but it's weird to me because there's nothing about the English words to suggest they're a consumer electronics store. But a store named "Meilleur Achat" wouldn't legally need to have prominent signage describing what they sell.

Now I'm imagining stores like Vieille Marine and La Cible popping up.

Yeah, for sure. I think the main intentent was to make it welcoming to french speaking people. Pictures of Montreal in the 60's are pretty jarring, you wouldn't know people spoke french there looking at the streets, it's indistinguishable from Toronto. For someone that couldn't speak english at all (the vast majority), it seems it would have been hard to navigate, which in the end was probably why it was all in english. They knew who had all the capital to spend and it kept the undesirables away :)

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE SPEECH SUPPRESSOR

Remember: it's "antisemitic" to protest genocide as long as the targets are brown.

Gros Tarla posted:

Trademarks don't have to be translated.

That may be true now, but it wasn't for more than a decade after Bill 101 was passed, so it naturally would have influenced branding decisions.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

nine-gear crow posted:

Apparently he's a computer lab teacher, which apparently is something that basically anyone can just walk in and become, no questions asked.

The teacher's union in Ontario is cool with somebody walking in off the street who doesn't have a teacher's certificate being a full-time teacher?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

:lol: The PPC are straight up just filled with bigots. Why the gently caress are these assholes allowed to run??

Goddamn what were they thinking doing a Reddit AMA.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Given how many braying chuds there are on Canadian subreddits they probably figured it would go well for them.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Gros Tarla posted:

In the case of Eaton's specifically, it was because it was trying to be a classy place for classy people and for them it de facto excluded the quebecois that were viewed as working class trash. Otherwise, Eaton was a big name but it was pretty common back then for many businesses, for various reasons, which is why the pendulum swung heavily the other way with bill 101.

You may or may not agree with it, that's fine, not here to argue that. Just giving some historical context.

Yeah, for sure. I think the main intentent was to make it welcoming to french speaking people. Pictures of Montreal in the 60's are pretty jarring, you wouldn't know people spoke french there looking at the streets, it's indistinguishable from Toronto. For someone that couldn't speak english at all (the vast majority), it seems it would have been hard to navigate, which in the end was probably why it was all in english. They knew who had all the capital to spend and it kept the undesirables away :)

I was genuinely aware there was actual anti-Francophone bigotry like that in Quebec! Bill 101 makes a lot more sense now, thank you very much for informing me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I didn't know the UCP was selling these last summer

:chud:

drat, I really want one of those now

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

Arivia posted:

I was genuinely aware there was actual anti-Francophone bigotry like that in Quebec! Bill 101 makes a lot more sense now, thank you very much for informing me.

Sure! I just find it unfortunate that politicians are now instrumentalising the fear of this not so distant past to justify being bigots ourselves. I also think bill 101 did the trick just fine to make it easier to live in french here, I don't see a need for stronger laws right now. But Legault is not gonna pass up on this I guess.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Would conservative ridings be the ones most at risk from PPC votes? Or is there potential vote splitting in competitive ridings where PPC snatches Con votes away and Libs or Dippers end up taking it?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

Given how many braying chuds there are on Canadian subreddits they probably figured it would go well for them.

Doesn't r/canada STILL has an out and proud Neo Nazi moderator? Or was finally dealt with?

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 28 days!
E: n/m

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 15, 2021

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Sorry to post nonsense from Michael Geller, who will be familiar to anyone who follows Vancouver real estate as a notorious boomer moron, but I just wanted to talk a bit about the whole "jurisdiction" issue and how it seems to play so badly for the NDP and Singh.

https://twitter.com/michaelgeller/status/1438225903599841283?s=20

Taking this condescending tweet at face value for a moment: Is there any actual difference between how the Liberal Party has been working with the provinces to build childcare, versus the NDP's plans to create pharmacare/dentalcare etc?

I feel like I'm being completely gaslit by the media here when they completely ignore that the Liberal Party has been deeply involved in provincial jurisdiction with medicare and oh so recently childcare, while at the same time they are admonishing Jagmeet Singh for "not understanding" jurisdiction, and his apparently wild and crazy plans to "meddle" in provincial areas of concern by working to create universal pharmacare.

As I see it there's really only one move the feds are ever capable of making here, which is to dangle a giant pile of money in front of the provinces in exchange for creating a program that meets some national standards. Seems to me that this is what the Liberals are doing with childcare and what the NDP would be doing with pharmacare. The Libs/NDP are doing the same thing, with the only difference being their priorities and drive in when they would be doing this.

Where's the difference? Is there any difference?

Are these people hearing something in what Singh is saying that I'm not hearing?

I feel like I'm going crazy when I am constantly reading poo poo like what Geller tweeted here that implies there is some massive insane thing Singh is suggesting. What I'm hearing from Singh sounds entirely reasonable and exactly akin to what the Feds are currently doing with childcare.

Of course it's not just morons like Geller implying there's some difference. Geller is referencing the interview on the CBC National that Rosie Barton did with Singh, where she was heavily suggesting there was something majorly off with Singh's approach to pursuing deals with the provinces and aggressively interrogating him on this.

Femtosecond fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Sep 15, 2021

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Arc Hammer posted:

Would conservative ridings be the ones most at risk from PPC votes? Or is there potential vote splitting in competitive ridings where PPC snatches Con votes away and Libs or Dippers end up taking it?

My feeling is they'll get a lot of votes all over from previously non voting people who have been whipped into a frenzy, but not enough to win anything.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

https://twitter.com/Happy_Belmore/status/1438136060811386882

Secondhand embarrassment

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Jason Kenney is up tonight. Tune in at 6pm MDT or 8pm EDT to watch a train wreck.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

ZeeBoi posted:

Secondhand embarrassment

Nah, shoot it straight into my veins.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Femtosecond posted:

I feel like I'm being completely gaslit by the media

That's pretty much it, yea

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Incredible answer but what’s wrong with a purple tie?

Love the pronunciation of Maxime lol

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Don't make me watch a loving video.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

half cocaine posted:

Don't make me watch a loving video.

He literally cannot answer the question “what’s the difference between the CPC and the PPC” because it’s too hard for him, by his own admission

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

nine-gear crow posted:

Doesn't r/canada STILL has an out and proud Neo Nazi moderator? Or was finally dealt with?

They sure do! I even private chatted with him once recently after he expressed remorse for his opinions. He was like, what can I do to show people that's not me? I advised him to stop being a moderator and he blocked me, haha.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
That should be the easiest question on earth for a CPC candidate to answer. Here's one version that I feel would cover the main differences:

"The People's Party has a track record of being the party of grievance, of anger without focus, and no actual solution to the problems facing Canada and Canadians. Obviously, they are conservative in a sense, but in contrast to campaign that relies on veiled and not-so-veiled bigotry and strange conspiracy theories, the Conservative Party of Canada stands for thoughtful, traditionally conservative policy that provides real solutions."

Of course it's bullshit because the CPC is really drat dumb, but that's how I would phrase it if I were representing them.

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021
Have you ever had a party that that you um you had you'd you would you could you'd do you wi you wants you you could do so you you'd do you could you you want you want Maxime to do you so much you could do anything?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

PT6A posted:

That should be the easiest question on earth for a CPC candidate to answer. Here's one version that I feel would cover the main differences:

"The People's Party has a track record of being the party of grievance, of anger without focus, and no actual solution to the problems facing Canada and Canadians. Obviously, they are conservative in a sense, but in contrast to campaign that relies on veiled and not-so-veiled bigotry and strange conspiracy theories, the Conservative Party of Canada stands for thoughtful, traditionally conservative policy that provides real solutions."

Of course it's bullshit because the CPC is really drat dumb, but that's how I would phrase it if I were representing them.

That's a fine answer, but also the answer that doesn't let you win back those sweet sweet CPC / PPC swing voters. You can't say your party isn't racist, that will make the racists not want to vote for you!

It's like THE NDP stronghold anyway, so it's not like the CPC candidate has a chance to win anyway.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Starks posted:

He literally cannot answer the question “what’s the difference between the CPC and the PPC” because it’s too hard for him, by his own admission

... and then he takes a "pass" as if he's on a game show, which is also hilarious.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I voted a few days ago, I also convinced my mom to vote NDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What an absolute buffoon, lmao.