Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Dr Christmas posted:

I guess those flying cavalry are Ki-rin or Qilin or however they want to render it. Not much fluff about them, but they were presented as fancy mounts for Cathayan heroes. It looks quite different than the “official” White Dwarf conversion that appears in the wiki, which didn’t have wings.
https://warhammerfantasy.fandom.com/wiki/Ki-rin

According to the Gamewatcher article those are actually Longma which do have wings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I am sure that all of Cathay will be on the map, there will be at least a corner of Nippon and Ind. I think it’s pretty funny, but also totally logical, that at least one Cathayan unit (jezzails) is “reverse engineered” Skaven. I bet we will eventually see some kind of human ninjas that work like gutter runners.
Jezzails are a central-Asian thing, not a Chinese one, so wouldn't they be a better fit for the Hung or something?

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Zephro posted:

Jezzails are a central-Asian thing, not a Chinese one, so wouldn't they be a better fit for the Hung or something?

Central Asia is a part of China. Boom, solved that one. Anyways you can see Cathayan jezzail units in the promo screenshots. so it’s just shielded arquebusiers which we call jezzails because that’s what the Skaven call them. Probably they’ll be called jezzails here too even if they aren’t strictly speaking exactly the same thing as weird afghani one-off weapons used to slaughter redcoats outside Kabul 170 years ago

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 15, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Like Kislev is just an Empire copy in W1 and W2 until they release 3 with its own unique faction, I bet Nippon and Ind will be Cathay expys until they get some DLC love. I can definitely see Nippon getting a DLC since you already got Shogun doing a lot of the work for a base game.

Ind's kind of like Araby though, I can see them skipping it or making it a part of Cathay. Just think of the plethora of factions they have to consider for W3. For W2 they eventually released what, 6 or 7 factions that were playable?

With W3 release, we are already at 4 guaranteed factions (Kislev, Khorne, Tzeentzch, Cathay), but we know Slannesh and Nurgle, and probably Ogres will be there. Chaos Dwarfs are most likely, so we already are at 8 factions for 3 almost from release. Nippon and Ind would put them at 10.

That's a lot of work.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

What? Why do you think this? Where would new Cathay LLs go, then? Unless the map is extremely long east to west yet short north-to-south it makes no sense for half of Cathay to not be there.

Other games have launched with 4 factions; this one is launching with at least 6. As someone else said, there are 9 LLs on launch; two each for Kislev and Cathay plus one each for the four Chaos factions, plus one more semi-unknown. Didnt WH2 launch with 4 factions and 3 LLs each?

No, WH2 launched with only 2 LLs per faction. 8 total, versus WH3's 9.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I think Ind specifically is going to be written out, Lokhir’s dialogue suggests that he “slaughtered the tigers of Ind” and “burned the temple of Gilgadresh.” So probably it will get treated like Araby as a territory occupied by foreigners. Nippon strikes me as likely to get kind of a Skarsnik treatment as a specialized Cathayan roster.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

There's two things I'm interested in, in terms of the WH3 map:

1. How far East does the map extend? Do we get the coastline of Cathay, or does it cut off at some arbitrary point?

2. What do we get South and Southeast of Cathay?

If the map either starts with the areas of Ind and Khuresh, or at least has enough space to flesh them out later (a la the Darklands extensions of the ME map), then I'd start guessing that the ME-equivalent map would probably be generous.

I'm really hoping they just drop the entire loving globe on us for the ME-style map. I want them to go big.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
If Cathay becomes popular then there's no reason they won't eventually introduce other nations like Ind or Araby

No one thought Cathay would become a thing anyway. They had like 5 lines of text in the lore

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Torrannor posted:

I for one hope new Cathay LLs don't go to Cathay. Perhaps there can be another one in Eastern Cathay or so, but I hope the other three (going by WH2 release races) LLs start somewhere far away so that you have more variety in enemies.

As for why the map perhaps/probably excludes southern Cathay, the focus is clearly the fight with the Chaos forces in the north, you don't need to extend your map too far south for that. Not to mention that this would force CA to put like the dawi, Drycha, Vampire Counts, etc. on the WH3 map, which I think they will try to avoid. There would be no/little reason to not have them playable in that case, and I think they want people to focus on the new WH3 races.
Thats a fair point about different starting locations, I just think it would be super weird to cut out half of the new big announcement empire. I was so confused because of how much they warped the WH2 map to fit the Southlands on without having Estalia or Bwettonia. Grabbing the map from Reddit, I could easily see them warping the mountains to fit Kislev without having any of the empire, or just one little vestige like how we got Savage Orcs in the northeast corner of Not-Africa:

I would expect the box to be bigger north-to-south so they include the southern bits where like Clan Rictus-Nest and Snikch are in ME.

Torrannor posted:

I would instantly preorder WH3 if they announced a globe-shaped map for Immortal Empires, even though my general policy is "never preorder games anymore".
Same.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

The thought of being able to raid the coasts of Cathay as the Dark Elves by sailing WEST is just too good to loving pass up. I want to sail Black Arks across the Not-Pacific and poo poo.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

If Cathay becomes popular then there's no reason they won't eventually introduce other nations like Ind or Araby

No one thought Cathay would become a thing anyway. They had like 5 lines of text in the lore
Despite CA saying that their main source is still WFB 8th edition, it's pretty clear by now that they are drawing from The Old World that GW is actively developing. And at this point we have no idea what GW's plans for that are. The only thing we do know for sure is that GW is writing lots of new lore and is creating new factions.

So yeah, Ind, Araby and even Amazons are possible again.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
A globe shaped map would be amazing and make this the best Total War game they'd ever produced. It would also help them with the map dimensions, as certain areas are way too big, others are too small, making it spherical could solve some of those dimension problems.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Not gonna hold out hope for a globe, I don't see them changing it that much. But even being to scroll all the way around Civilisation style is good enough for me.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

DaysBefore posted:

Not gonna hold out hope for a globe, I don't see them changing it that much. But even being to scroll all the way around Civilisation style is good enough for me.

I want a globe specifically so you can spin i wildly with a flick as if spinning a real life globe and then stopping it to find your invasion goal.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Since this is the last of the Total War Warhammer Fantasy titles I can see them putting out more DLC than they did for the previous ones as long as people keep paying for it.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Giggle Goose posted:

Since this is the last of the Total War Warhammer Fantasy titles I can see them putting out more DLC than they did for the previous ones as long as people keep paying for it.

They have already said that we shouldn't see WHIII as the end of the franchise, but rather as the beginning of continuing long-term support for the series, so yeah

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Raygereio posted:

Despite CA saying that their main source is still WFB 8th edition

My takeaway from their more recent phrasing is that they are using WFB 8th ed as guidance on stating out new units and then converting that to the game, not that they are using it as a guide anymore on what lore/factions are "legitimate" so to speak.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
They could add Ind and Nippon like how Ogres are now, as mercenaries. Then they don’t have to make a whole faction, they can add a few cool units. They could do that for any faction not currently in (I’m looking at you halflings).

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do anyone actually use Ogres after the novelty wore off?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
any of the more specialized factions get a boost from having one of their holes shored up. Dwarves, for example, get a nice tactical boost from having the cavalry ogres

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Getting ogres to shore up my holes. They have a lot of experience cramming meat into holes.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Ralepozozaxe posted:

They could add Ind and Nippon like how Ogres are now, as mercenaries. Then they don’t have to make a whole faction, they can add a few cool units. They could do that for any faction not currently in (I’m looking at you halflings).

Amazons would also be a good choice as a merc faction.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Broken Cog posted:

Do anyone actually use Ogres after the novelty wore off?

The red line is so powerful that any units that aren't being buffed seem like a waste of upkeep compared to just taking another unit that is being improved.

I don't know what the fix would be but I don't enjoy the system as it is right now.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
They’re mercenaries. Because they can be recruited instantly they have a good amount of campaign utility in responding to unexpected attacks. They’re expensive and expendable.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Ogres are useful overall for flexibility, like mercs, not long term full campaign army regulars, like your faction core. They're great for what they do and I use them all the time 1-2 times a campaign. I expect their full faction to have good synergy and red line support from their Lords. Until then..

Need emergency defense ala RoR spam? Ogres.

Need to fill a stack faster than recruiting can do it? Ogres.

Want to fill a faction gap with cavalry, guns or monstrous infantry anti-infantry/large? Ogres.

Want an early game power spike? Want to fill gaps with money instead of time and replenishment in foreign territory? Just want some brutal but sloppy dudes to die for you and inflict pain while everybody else in the stack does tactical smart guy stuff? Yeah.

They're mercs, treat them as such or let them waddle away. If you outgrow them then give them the boot, their upkeep can be brutal. Bags and bags of brownies..

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

So someone on reddit noticed this, and this is exactly why I was thinking Cathay was a real possibility last year: CA is recycling animations/skeletons from 3K with some units for Cathay. So, congrats, the terracotta colossus is basically Lu Bu and/or Guan Yu.

I mean given that the Mythos units in Troy clearly used a lot of skeletons and animations from the Warhammer games, it's not like this is a new thing. It's smart of them, and it works, so gently caress it. Give me more crazy poo poo.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

A giant terracotta statue of Guan Yu would be the best thing ever so I eagerly await the mod that ports his model over.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
I wonder if that’s why they had to stop dead the development of 3K, if there was some kind of rights conflict.

Arghy
Nov 15, 2012

Broken Cog posted:

You'll always find someone mad about something, better to just let them seethe in peace and not worry about them imo

Did someone say my name?

I doubt you'll notice chosen being slightly less cool in a huge loving demon army where you're just looking at your soulgrinder the entire time.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Eimi posted:

A giant terracotta statue of Guan Yu would be the best thing ever so I eagerly await the mod that ports his model over.

Imagine this thing coming to life and trying to kill you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Guan_Yu_(Jingzhou)

Electronico6
Feb 25, 2011

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

I wonder if that’s why they had to stop dead the development of 3K, if there was some kind of rights conflict.

Rights conflicts with whom? Luo Guanzhong? History?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

William Bear posted:

Imagine this thing coming to life and trying to kill you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statue_of_Guan_Yu_(Jingzhou)

:black101:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

They already said why they stopped, although the base game sold very well its DLC did not. Whereas warhammer DLC gets vacuumed up.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
Sometimes the memes and fanart this community produces is dumb. At other times it's dumb and amazing.:allears:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I think the possibility of further human nations depends mostly on what GW has planned for the Old World, if that ever actually comes out. I could see Ind and Nippon getting rosters if they plan on fleshing out the rest of the world, but I can also definitely see GW just adding Cathay and rejiggering the rest of the roster. Khuresh is the biggest reach of course, but I don't think GW has done snake people besides the odd Slaaneshi demon prince, even if lamias are Greek and not southeast Asian.

There's also the Antarctica expy with the southern gate. But that's apparently filled with beastmen so by tradition, who cares.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Raygereio posted:

Sometimes the memes and fanart this community produces is dumb. At other times it's dumb and amazing.:allears:

:hmmyes:

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Raygereio posted:

Trying to come up with a joke where there's an achievement referencing the Sino-Soviet split

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Interesting, this hints at chaos corruption going on in Cathay? It would be interesting if Zhao Ming spreads chaos corruption like Morathi does for DEs.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Torrannor posted:

Interesting, this hints at chaos corruption going on in Cathay? It would be interesting if Zhao Ming spreads chaos corruption like Morathi does for DEs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Siblings! So maybe the npc Cathay factions will have other dragon leaders, or have non-dragons get replaced by additional siblings with dlc