Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I must say I regret my brief flirtation with collecting graded cards since it's devolved into a poo poo hole. My collection is primarily worthless junk slabs anyways because I decided to be all lol irony and make the dumbest possible PSA collection. This was back when you could pick up people's order fillers at or below the cost of grading off of Ebay and they weren't very common. Stupid poo poo like a reverse holo sun and moon base quagsire or hidden fates Erika's hospitality. Not the valuable full art of it mind you the common regular rear end trainer card.

I believe the poketuber Twicebakedjake is right: once the grading services catch up on the backlog there's gonna be a massive pile of graded cards nobody wants. Which kills the fun of having an ironic collection. I bet many won't even be worth the plastic they're encased in. I've since learned to just sleeve/top load the cards I super like and keep them in a safe place and enjoy them while I got them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Yeah I think I'm going sleeve and dumo the cool cards I like into my mtg binder and have them kicking around. Maybe build a base set/jungle/fossil deck out of them

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
These worth anything?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

These worth anything?

Not really. The Charizard (Lower Left) would be if it was foil, the Mew (next to Blaine's Charizard) is thirty maybe.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

HootTheOwl posted:

Not really. The Charizard (Lower Left) would be if it was foil, the Mew (next to Blaine's Charizard) is thirty maybe.

They are all foils.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

What is / is there a price difference between English and Japanese cards (stateside)?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

They are all foils.

Oh well depending on condition over 60 last I checked.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Oh well depending on condition over 60 last I checked.

Who can i sell it to?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

mcmagic posted:

Who can i sell it to?

Ebay.
If it was English maybe your LGS

E: The cards are named after the pokemon dipicted on them:
Bellosom, Dark Vileplume, Scizor, Butterfree
Blane's Charizard, Mew, Haunter, Kabutops

In pokemon foils are called "holo"s, short for holographic.

The sets are
Neo Genesis (the two stars)
Rocket (The R)
Neo Discovery (the temple)
Gym....Heroes? Challange? (It's the pokeball on the charizard. In japan this was only one set but in America they split it into two releases)
Fossil (the bone claw)
So the listing will be "[Card Name] [set] Holo Japaneese" and you should find one you can copy. You post in the MTG thread so you know what LP and NM are, I'm assuming.

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 15, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

HootTheOwl posted:

Ebay.
If it was English maybe your LGS

E: The cards are named after the pokemon dipicted on them:
Bellosom, Dark Vileplume, Scizor, Butterfree
Blane's Charizard, Mew, Haunter, Kabutops

In pokemon foils are called "holo"s, short for holographic.

The sets are
Neo Genesis (the two stars)
Rocket (The R)
Neo Discovery (the temple)
Gym....Heroes? Challange? (It's the pokeball on the charizard. In japan this was only one set but in America they split it into two releases)
Fossil (the bone claw)
So the listing will be "[Card Name] [set] Holo Japaneese" and you should find one you can copy. You post in the MTG thread so you know what LP and NM are, I'm assuming.

thx

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Speaking of the difficulty of selling Japanese cards in the English world does anyone think they'll start catching on a little more now in the West? Because it seems like I see tons of people online swearing they're gonna collect Japanese only from now on because the print quality is better or they hate the yellow border on English cards etc.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

So is the tcg mostly about trying to draw your whole deck to set up one haymaker the opponent can't answer? It seems like there are loads of tutors and card draw here relative to mtg. Even with these theme decks in the online client i feel like i'm playing an mtg storm deck but with no idea what my ultimate goal is. Often times it comes down to who evolves a big pokemon first that rolls over the other side

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

So is the tcg mostly about trying to draw your whole deck to set up one haymaker the opponent can't answer? It seems like there are loads of tutors and card draw here relative to mtg. Even with these theme decks in the online client i feel like i'm playing an mtg storm deck but with no idea what my ultimate goal is. Often times it comes down to who evolves a big pokemon first that rolls over the other side

Imagine MTG but there are no instants, Sorceries and Artifacts cost zero mana ,and you can combo off every turn except you don't go infinite and you're still limited to one attacker.
Lands are played attached to creatures.
And then you have to pass the turn and your opponent gets to do the same to you, because your one attacker can only kill one blocker and it's first to kill 6 blockers.
They also fixed a few things, because day 1 pokemon you could play a Wheel of Fortune (Professor Oak) for zero, have 4 copies in your deck, and also it was one sided. Now these incredibly powerful supporter cards are limited to 1 per turn.

It's a lot of fun, but IMO the power creep is too strong for me to stay interested in it. I just like the art and the attack names are awesome. (There's an Eevee except it's huge and it's attacks are either Ancestral Recall or "Brave Buddies" and I want to be it's buddy too)

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Sep 17, 2021

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Yeah when I played base/fossil era professor oaks and bills were great cards. The pokemon were a lot weaker it seems. The op has a pokemon with 300+ HP o_O

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

ilmucche posted:

Yeah when I played base/fossil era professor oaks and bills were great cards. The pokemon were a lot weaker it seems. The op has a pokemon with 300+ HP o_O

Early Pokemon had an early magic vibe (and since they're both WOTC products, the mechanics are not dissimilar) where you could do all this powerful stuff but then you just flip trails attacking an elekid The stage two mcmagic posted (so a card that's literally unplayable without two others) only had 60 hp.
It was very much lotus into sera angel type stuff.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

HootTheOwl posted:

It's a lot of fun, but IMO the power creep is too strong for me to stay interested in it. I just like the art and the attack names are awesome. (There's an Eevee except it's huge and it's attacks are either Ancestral Recall or "Brave Buddies" and I want to be it's buddy too)

:same: Everyone post cards with fun attack names itt:

And of course there's a couple of the cat mons that have Caturday as an attack too. Good ol' internet memes. And since we're also discussing power creep, I'm sure I've probably bitched about it before, but I do wish there was a format with out the op EX/GX/V/Tag Team cards. There's still a lot of basic pokemon with like 100 or 120 HP though but at least you'd have to devise some kind of different strategy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Being a massive casual I just can't help but look at the meta and think that whoever thought that adding pokemon with power far in excess of a fully evolved 3 step pokemon and then making them basic pokemon was a big mistake that they really should've seen coming.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

HootTheOwl posted:

Early Pokemon had an early magic vibe (and since they're both WOTC products, the mechanics are not dissimilar) where you could do all this powerful stuff but then you just flip trails attacking an elekid The stage two mcmagic posted (so a card that's literally unplayable without two others) only had 60 hp.
It was very much lotus into sera angel type stuff.

Just to be a pedant, WotC mostly just distributed the cards (they made a few exclusive cards but that was part of them having problems with the vision of the game that TPC had which led to them losing the license). Pokémon absolutely has MtG DNA, seen most obviously in the energy system, but that’s because one of the designers was a huge Magic fan, not because WotC had any hand in the game’s creation.

As for the current meta… well, yeah. It’s largely setting up one or two extremely powerful V-Max cards and trying to plow over the opponent. There tends to be six-ish Pokémon cards you actually plan to attack with and the rest of your deck is a draw engine and support.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I recently heard about https://gymleaderchallenge.com/ which is basically singleton / highlander Pokemon. Has anyone tried it? Sounds like a laugh, as an observer.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Magnetic North posted:

I recently heard about https://gymleaderchallenge.com/ which is basically singleton / highlander Pokemon. Has anyone tried it? Sounds like a laugh, as an observer.

PokeDH

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Alright, time to find out what's happening in the new meta. Let me just check out my favourite Youtube channel, ok, cool this Jolteon deck hoses the Inteleon engine that every other deck runs, sounds good. And I have a Lightning type challenge, so alright, I'll make this one. Let me just buy some codes and import the deck... cool, all I need is the Jolteon Vs and VMAXes. Time to do some trades :

Uh, maybe I'll put this one on the backburner for now.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

drat everyone caught on to my boy Inteleon? No loving wonder

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?
I just started on this game, and was trying out the online tcg program. Am I doing something wrong, because the new user experience seems miserable? The tutorial learning games are absolute slogs where you have only one or two Pokemon in your deck that can reliably do 30 or more damage. If you can't get it out before your opponent's one good pokemon, you just lose.

Should I just skip this and go for theme deck dueling?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

TacoNight posted:

I just started on this game, and was trying out the online tcg program. Am I doing something wrong, because the new user experience seems miserable? The tutorial learning games are absolute slogs where you have only one or two Pokemon in your deck that can reliably do 30 or more damage. If you can't get it out before your opponent's one good pokemon, you just lose.

yeah it's been really grindy. I haven't been enjoying it much

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

TacoNight posted:

Well, looks like they announced the new o line game today so don't worry about it! It's called pokemon tcg live.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Is the OP still up to date with regards to starter deck suggestions? I played for the first time had fun, and want to keep a few decent decks around. Not looking to play comp, just play something fun and cohesive on a casual level. My buddy had two decks that were adapted from precons, one with V Sobble evolution and the other with a bunch of Legendaries that used a G max skill and then Zacian.

Also, is this worth buying at all or is it a honey pot like the Magic equivalents? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08B44G363/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_K3Y65HFMDP8ZYKC6PRJ2

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I think the VV Charizard deck is still the best but maybe not by a huge margin. I haven't really touched theme decks since I started playing so I'm happy to be corrected on this and I'll update the OP accordingly when I add the Evolving Skies stuff.

This PTCG Live looks good because the current client is a bit of a relic, but the most I will say for the addition of a battle pass and presumably more microtransactions is that it's unsurprising because this is now the industry norm. One interesting thing from glancing at the page is that you will now be able to craft cards with an in-game currency. Another interesting thing is that apparently you can't play this on the Switch!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Yeah I skimmed through the FAQ myself to see what the hubub was about. It make sense that they would just make a new program instead of trying to update the old since as the previous posters have noted the tutorials and single player battles are woefully out of date among other things. Hopefully it won't be too aggressively P2W. Perhaps the card limit is meant to mitigate that? keep people to one or two high power decks instead of a billion.

Edit: Any word of a worthwhile friend system/can earn points from battling your friends? Then we could get some goon on goon action in here. iirc in current ptcgo you don't get in game coins from playing friends right?

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 21, 2021

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Somehow I missed the biggest change, which is that you can no longer trade cards. I guess that explains why they're moving to a crafting system.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Nails the ebay scalpers to the wall, though.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Awesome thanks. Second question, do the types have identities like the Magic Color Wheel?

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I found this from a Reddit post :

quote:

For Magic: The Gathering players:

- Pokemon is an easier/less complex game, but new players coming from MtG tend to underestimate the complexity of the game. Since you and your opponent see so many cards during a game, the decision trees are much bigger
- Standard and Expanded (the equivalent of Modern) are the only formats that are commonly played. Hall of Fame, past Standard formats, and Unlimited are sometimes played casually.
- Pokemon is poorly suited for drafting/sealed tournaments due to the evolution mechanic, greater number of energy types, and relative scarcity of Trainers in packs compared to Pokemon (while a good constructed deck will contain much more Trainers than Pokemon)
- Colour identity is much weaker in Pokemon. Pokemon are paired together in decks based on some synergy that often has little to do with their type. It can be advantageous to include a few off-colour tech cards to improve specific match-ups. When adding alternate attackers, the energy cost of the attack is usually more important than the Pokemon's type.
- Physical packs and products include codes for the online game, making playing online relatively cheap. There is an extensive free-to-play side to Pokemon online. The online game client also looks more polished
- Pokemon is a much smaller game than MtG, and there aren't many sources of free articles

Type identity is a bit different in the card game because it's consolidating a much broader range of types from the video games, and any type-related design elements or themes are pretty loosely defined in any case. Like, Fire types often feature energy acceleration but also discard energy to attack, Grass types have a lot of healing effects, and Lightning has a gotta-go-fast theme, but there are plenty of exceptions within and between types.

The Pokemon themselves generally maintain their individual identity across all of their versions, though, for example Wailord always has massive HP, Ninetales has gust or copy abilities, Gengar puts damage counters on your opponent's Pokemon or interacts with their hand in some way, etc.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
Awesome thanks!

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Kalko posted:

Somehow I missed the biggest change, which is that you can no longer trade cards. I guess that explains why they're moving to a crafting system.

I refuse to believe this lol

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

IG-88 posted:

All you need is to do is collect 20 bear asses for an Bewear.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

IG-88 posted:

Arena wins in the end.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

HootTheOwl posted:

Arena Hearthstone wins in the end.

Biscats n Gravy
Jun 13, 2018

Smile.

Turbinosamente posted:

:same: Everyone post cards with fun attack names itt:

And of course there's a couple of the cat mons that have Caturday as an attack too. Good ol' internet memes. And since we're also discussing power creep, I'm sure I've probably bitched about it before, but I do wish there was a format with out the op EX/GX/V/Tag Team cards. There's still a lot of basic pokemon with like 100 or 120 HP though but at least you'd have to devise some kind of different strategy.

That's a real charm spot for the card game. Like in the video games the attacks generally are quite simple "Explosion" "Thunder Bolt", etc

Then in the TCG some cards look like this
https://imgur.com/a/fG34K3P

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Biscats n Gravy posted:

That's a real charm spot for the card game. Like in the video games the attacks generally are quite simple "Explosion" "Thunder Bolt", etc

Then in the TCG some cards look like this
https://imgur.com/a/fG34K3P

Why is that a stage 2 and not a basic pokemon ability

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Because it is a decade old bad joke card.