Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

I love those EQ posts but I agree, maybe a generalized "wonky MMO mechanics" thread so the FFXI dudes can chime in or whatever, i'm pretty sure that game was also weird

edit: not a good snipe, if you skipped to this page go back a couple and read the effortposts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Six AM
Nov 30, 2008
I'll make the website, let's start raising money to buy the old out of commission battleship

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

In a genre and specifically game with lots of dumb or not well thought out mechanics "slow makes the mob hasted" is the dumbest I've seen.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

blatman posted:

I love those EQ posts but I agree, maybe a generalized "wonky MMO mechanics" thread so the FFXI dudes can chime in or whatever, i'm pretty sure that game was also weird

edit: not a good snipe, if you skipped to this page go back a couple and read the effortposts

That would be very cool.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Groovelord Neato posted:

In a genre and specifically game with lots of dumb or not well thought out mechanics "slow makes the mob hasted" is the dumbest I've seen.

sounds like the ol' "number gets reduced so much it turns negative and the game freaks out" that we see in games all the time

hilarious every single time

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Eve Online had a great case like that in wormholes with debuffs. Allies could debuff each other even more to make it flip to a super buff. Long video but worth a watch: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XrYe_4vHzgE

Mechanics stuff starts around 5:25

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Ad by Khad posted:

sounds like the ol' "number gets reduced so much it turns negative and the game freaks out" that we see in games all the time

Integers, you love to see it. Wow had it too with invisible zone lines and stat totems, could wrap agility to max integer value etc.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
I might make a MMO mechanics thread sometime later when I write up the other missing PoP content post.

Ad by Khad posted:

The wild thing was the slow reverse mechanic was 100% intentional. Like the devs initially added the notification message before removing it. My guess is the internal discussions are where they realized that most people were probably slowing these mobs and oblivious of the mechanic, so what was the point in keeping it when it got such negative feedback?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Yeah I assumed it was on purpose when I made my post because it was on specific mobs.

Hic Sunt Dracones
Apr 3, 2004
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Vinestalk posted:

I might make a MMO mechanics thread sometime later when I write up the other missing PoP content post.

The wild thing was the slow reverse mechanic was 100% intentional. Like the devs initially added the notification message before removing it. My guess is the internal discussions are where they realized that most people were probably slowing these mobs and oblivious of the mechanic, so what was the point in keeping it when it got such negative feedback?

One thing I always kinda admired about the EQ devs was that many of their decisions seemed to emerge from the idea that EQ was a world first and a game second. I played a shaman in PoP era, myself, and so even though of course I hated the slow-reversal mechanic, there was also a level on which I respected it. The logic wasn't "this is a balanced and enjoyable game mechanic," it was "the gods know the tactics the mortals use against them and are prepared for them."

I can remember similar arguments coming out of the devs in other situations. For example, they greatly increased healing aggro at one point, with the explicit rationale of, "don't you hate it when a monster complete heals? they feel the same way." And when players objected to the fact that sometimes the "flurry drakes," trash mob guards in the Temple of Veeshan, would randomly spawn in such a configuration that they were nearly impossible to kill (I forget the exact details on this, but there was something about the color of the drakes determining their class and damage output, and getting two of a specific color together was a nightmare), the devs responded by asking whether the players expected Veeshan to leave her temple poorly guarded.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
i think its cool when you have to use other things to mitigate e.g., veeshan's complete heal requiring enchanters to drain her mana

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Hic Sunt Dracones posted:

One thing I always kinda admired about the EQ devs was that many of their decisions seemed to emerge from the idea that EQ was a world first and a game second.

yeah, this is absolutely my feeling as well. I think it has to be that the designers of EQ took their inspiration from MUDs, where implementors were often a very tangible presence in the world. and to me it feels like today's games have the abstractions all wrong. they're trying to riff of EQ or WoW, not trying to emulate MUDs with graphics added on. i'm like a broken record on this, but i just feel like all modern games have really stilted mechanics because they're, as you say, trying to be a game first and world second.

could you imagine a modern game doing... GM events? and i mean ad-hoc poo poo, not like "its halloween uhh.. Skele-Hallows Eve and whoaaaaa everything got spooky after Tuesday's patch! :ghost::ghost:"

poo poo, is a GM having an avatar even a thing? guides? are there even GMs anymore? or just CSRs grinding through Jira tickets?

And logically, yeah, we knew they were just SOE employees doing a job and could disappear any time, but in EQ they really felt like stewards of the world rather than a 1800 number to fix a problem with your electric meter. I feel like that really helped servers develop their own flavor. And maybe it was that way because I guess the world was janky and complex enough that a human was needed to make judgement calls when people argued over who gets to loot a dragon's balls.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Also early EQ's willingness to just let weird player strategies happen. Imagine bard swarming or shakerpaging persisting for any length of time in any other MMO, Pantheon included, or even just all the crazy things you can do with charm, fear, snares, and so on. Hell, even something like quadding is nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

Sachant posted:

Also early EQ's willingness to just let weird player strategies happen. Imagine bard swarming or shakerpaging persisting for any length of time in any other MMO, Pantheon included, or even just all the crazy things you can do with charm, fear, snares, and so on. Hell, even something like quadding is nearly impossible to find elsewhere.

This is something I really miss from MMOs. Everything is so normalized now that there is no room for a class that can do spectacular things if played skillfully (EQ Bard and Enchanters). It really makes the experiences bland and boring.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

Vomik posted:

i think its cool when you have to use other things to mitigate e.g., veeshan's complete heal requiring enchanters to drain her mana

I loved doing single group phinny kills like this. Have a bard and enc drain him and he’s barely a threat to any appropriately geared tank. Loses his nukes entirely when OOM.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

cmdrk posted:

yeah, this is absolutely my feeling as well. I think it has to be that the designers of EQ took their inspiration from MUDs, where implementors were often a very tangible presence in the world. and to me it feels like today's games have the abstractions all wrong. they're trying to riff of EQ or WoW, not trying to emulate MUDs with graphics added on. i'm like a broken record on this, but i just feel like all modern games have really stilted mechanics because they're, as you say, trying to be a game first and world second.

That's literally what it is, lots of them came from TorilMUD which also split into Duris. They were both some larger mud before the fracture then came EQ. Freeport was something Brad modeled off a TM city even.

I also remember they at one point were doing a super premium hands on eq server or were planning on it, nearly triple the sub cost to play there.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013

Sintor posted:

I also remember they at one point were doing a super premium hands on eq server or were planning on it, nearly triple the sub cost to play there.

yeah, Legends aka Stormhammer! Around 40 buckers a month.

It even had an exclusive zone, Maurader's Mire

https://www.giantbomb.com/marauders-mire/3035-4711/

some other fun and random stuff:
https://afkgamer.com/archives/2005/12/12/legends/

apparently people would xfer to Stormhammer for name changes and stuff, and then xfer back to their normal server. fun times

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Sachant posted:

They left AON clipping through doors alone for 20 years until progression server babbies cried :smith:

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

cmdrk posted:

poo poo, is a GM having an avatar even a thing? guides? are there even GMs anymore? or just CSRs grinding through Jira tickets?

atlas has a couple but they are a very rare sighting. i lived on a really buggy island when the game was new and we'd see GMs flying around occasionally trying to figure out zone geometry and mesh issues because that island had a loving shitload of them.

there was another instance where my bf's bear got stuck underneath the world and we did the equivalent of a petition (through a website) but in the 2 hours we waited the bear got killed underneath the world. A little later some player i'd never seen before just appeared near my house and, having figured out that the bear was dead, tried to pretend to just be some random guy and engage me in an RP conversation about where to find resources. As he was leaving he did a quick dig for water and the water spout had way way way more water than any made by an actual player which proved he was not just a regular player.

Cithen
Mar 6, 2002

Pillbug
GMs and guides were great. You would kinda get to know them sometimes just chatting while they were working on revolving something for you. And you'd get to say what's up in /ooc to the ones you knew when they dropped by a zone. It made it feel like a community.

I feel like I have a memory of one of them transporting me to their little GM home when I had an issue with the druid epic spawn in dreadlands or whatever. But, when I looked up images of the gm zone it looks way fancier and post luclin or pop than what I remember.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I was an EQ guide for a short time - way too young and stupid for the job. The GM zone was called Sunset Home (cshome). I thought you had to download it from a special zip that was distributed via email or some other way.

I got into the guide program from some connections I made in the help chat, which btw is a feature I don't hear people talking about too often. As I recall, it accessible from the server select and where people would end up when servers were down or they had issues logging in or whatever. I spent way too much time in there as a teenager answering easy questions for no compensation, and eventually I was invited to apply to be a guide. so I applied, lied about my age, and got into the program to be a guide on.... Bertoxxulous maybe?

The guide application process was basically an interview on IRC (Dalnet as I recall?), where they asked you about some game knowledge, gave you some scenarios, basically a job interview. They then gave you an account and you were under probation for a while - 30 days maybe? As a junior guide you couldn't really do much except escalate issues to senior guides or the GM staff. My memory is pretty faulty but I seem to recall being able to /zone as a junior guide while when I graduated to a full guide, I was able to summon people to me and so on. My guide avatar was an Ogre in green plate and I spent a lot of time guiding it up from EC tunnel - all of the guides had a favorite spot if not cshome itself. I have no idea what my guide character name was.

I almost got caught as being underaged when a senior guide made casual chat about her "hubby" and I had no idea what the term meant at the time. She was pretty sus of me from that point on.

Well, her suspicions were right because shortly thereafter I clowned myself by visiting Sleeper's Tomb way, way before it was finished and ready for the public. I chilled there next to some mob, maybe even Kerafrym himself, while the mobs there were just generic Human male NPC models. I remember a dome I could click on it and it uselessly spun. I've actually never been to ST in Live or EQEmu or otherwise so I have no idea, lol. Got another guide to come with me and we hung out there and answered questions. Couple days later I got interrogated by the GM - apparently going to unfinished zones was a HUGE no-no, much less end-game dungeons like VP and ST. I didn't even realize the significance of Kerafrym or ST for a long time after that, maybe 5 years or more.

So that was the end of that adventure and my sweet free subscription to EQ.

One of the strange things about my non-guide station account since those days - my "/claim" says I have something like 40 years of entitlement on my account. I figured they'd fix that eventually, but when I popped on a few months ago for the new TLP, my claim status was the same.

cmdrk fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Sep 15, 2021

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nvm

sharknado slashfic fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Sep 15, 2021

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
I had a lot of good experiences with guides / GMs back in the day. I was part of a few GM events by pure luck of the draw, and the guides were always fun.

I definitely went through the guide application process as well, but didn't ever get selected for an interview. I was 11 when I started playing though, so it's probably a good thing I didn't get invited to try out for real, I would've definitely broken the rules and gone exploring just as you had.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Sep 15, 2021

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Random memory triggered from this thread...

Hugging the wall for the buff line then logging out to the chat room to preserve those buffs for your lovely Vox PUG attempt. Wiping, falling asleep during the CR, and having to find a Necro with a coffin days later because you died in the pit.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

napster of meat posted:

Random memory triggered from this thread...

Hugging the wall for the buff line then logging out to the chat room to preserve those buffs for your lovely Vox PUG attempt. Wiping, falling asleep during the CR, and having to find a Necro with a coffin days later because you died in the pit.

i'll see your corpse run and raise you several hours of buffing and rebuffing, waiting for ???, then the raid leader announces that the runed bolster belt (the one with 31% melee haste on it that was worth a literal fortune) is claimed by said raid leader and virtually everyone just immediately bails

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Lots of cool old/classic EQ discussion in here. Shame Pantheon doesn't really resemble that game much at all anymore.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Long hours without a group and ending up in groups that only got me killed a bunch were frequent enough that I never got beyond like level 20.

When I quit, I gave all my stuff to my little brother. The stuff wasn't like expensive but it was good enough for some of his alts. He logged in on a lowbie wizard(?) alt and used summoned bags to hold some of the good stuff. He couldn't find someone to sotw/invis to freeport that day and logged off. Woke up the next morning with half the good stuff gone because he forgot summoned bags disappear on logout.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Long hours without a group and ending up in groups that only got me killed a bunch were frequent enough that I never got beyond like level 20.

When I quit, I gave all my stuff to my little brother. The stuff wasn't like expensive but it was good enough for some of his alts. He logged in on a lowbie wizard(?) alt and used summoned bags to hold some of the good stuff. He couldn't find someone to sotw/invis to freeport that day and logged off. Woke up the next morning with half the good stuff gone because he forgot summoned bags disappear on logout.

Truly, the peak of gaming, I don't understand why more devs don't make games like this anymore. They should take it to the next level and send a professional Muay Thai boxer to kick you in the junk when you die

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i had a friend who managed to save enough money in high school to buy a level 60 bard with top of the line gear in velious. But his parents grounded him from the computer right after he died in WW and before he did his corpse run. By the time he got back online corpse was poofed lol

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

They saved a lot of groups from a bad bard.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

FrostyPox posted:

They should take it to the next level and send a professional Muay Thai boxer to kick you in the junk when you die

Only if it's like the Gaki no Tsukai thai kicks

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
https://www.pantheonmmo.com/newsletter/_2021/september/

quote:

• Work is beginning on bringing our current art assets into the new HDRP project, making sure there are no shader conflicts or visual issues with each asset and fixing any that we find.

So looks like in regards to the question before about is Faerthale done, looks like they're going to be able to transfer it to the new HDRP/Terrain Streaming Project

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
As promised, I made that thread with my EQ rants collected with a final PoP era addition. Here's a link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3979819

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I was in a stream on twitch talking about how the MMO genre seems to be in decline, there's only like three new MMOs coming out (New World, Ashes of Creation and maybe Riot's MMO) and someone in the chat said "Don't forget about Pantheon!"

lol

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

FrostyPox posted:

I was in a stream on twitch talking about how the MMO genre seems to be in decline, there's only like three new MMOs coming out (New World, Ashes of Creation and maybe Riot's MMO) and someone in the chat said "Don't forget about Pantheon!"

lol

lol

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

Top post on Reddit for this game:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Sachant posted:

Top post on Reddit for this game:

On the bright side, for Star Citizen those numbers are like 40 and 49.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
There’s something dreadful about a 19 year old excited for a game made for 40 year olds to relive college

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
Its the MMO equivalent of teenagers who are really into dad rock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Its the MMO equivalent of teenagers who are really into dad rock.

To be fair kids that listen to Queen and ACDC are better than the ones that listen to [Insert Youtube Trending Music]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7WMqns_k4w

Monthly update. And we're back to texturing zones again. Well at least they say there's a part 2

hobocrunch fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Oct 15, 2021