Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Sickening posted:

At my gig with the crazy CISO, the Ceo has mandated from today to next tuesday as a company mandated PTO/Refresh and for everyone to take a holiday. This is an unlimited pto company.

At no time has my CISO said that "we" aren't taking the time off and I not being a giant idiot, didn't ask permission to take off when the mandate comes from the CEO.

Despite my out of office message and being offline, she is still emailing and teams messaging me as if she is pretending the company isn't shut down. This is where she can fire me, because I am taking the week off.

Update , my CISO is actively losing her poo poo and has left me 8 voicemails.

Paychecks might stop coming folks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Sickening posted:

narrator: "they didnt"

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
plot twist: he becomes the CISO on wednesday

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

Do not stop updating us. This is the best IT thread saga since the methanar meltdowns.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

She is literally screaming into my voicemaiiiiiiiiiiil.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

post the voicemails, coward

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

lament.cfg posted:

Her voice would dox her, full stop.

But I am typing this as I talk to her finally. She has some very spicy takes on what she expects of her infosec department (me). I will post them when she finishes her rambling.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Can you post anything corroborating which will not dox her/you? No obligation to do so of course but would make this more fun. If your phone transcribes voicemails, a screenshot of some snippets?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Feed them through a transcriber we NEED CONTENT

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
I'm so invested in this story

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

oh my god he works for Elizabeth Holmes

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
What are your thoughts on applying for non entry level jobs that you think you could reasonably do, but have no actual professional experience in the career field? I've been contacted by a recruiter for a level 2 Lead SOC Analyst position, but I'm a career changer that managed a restaurant previously with no real IT or security work experience. I've got CompTIA security certs out the rear end (A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, Pentest+) and am completing a WGU degree this month, but it really just makes me look like a paper tiger. The guy is definitely just using a shotgun approach to get the position filled, right?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Any way you can parlay the screaming voicemails after the CEO-mandated time off into a fat severance package?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Most people you meet in IT are not competent and/or lazy. Just go for it.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Just go for it

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Yep just do it, job listings are wishlists and I mean everybody does side projects/homelabs

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Always apply.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

How do y'all deal with the whole impostor syndrome thing of being in IT? I just started this helpdesk thing 3 weeks ago and I feel incredibly out of my element when it comes to everything.

My background isn't in the field at all but I have been going to school for this and I mean, I like computers and all that stuff already as it is. I just feel overwhelmed since now it's not just me loving around at home with stuff, now I'm setting up labs for classrooms or dealing with people asking me constantly if I "know" my stuff (I hate this so far cause it makes me second guess myself heavy).

I do enjoy what I'm doing and yes it's great to finally get into doing stuff that I like but man I just stress myself over a lot of stuff very quickly.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

If you don't escalate everything you're doing good HD work

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Fake it until you make it really.

Also try not to let the job stress you negatively too much. Stress with a fun and interesting project is good because it keeps you on your toes, you're engaged, and you're constantly learning something. Stress from potentially being found out you're a fraud? Pish posh, begone with it and don't worry!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

George H.W. oval office posted:

Fake it until you make it really.

Also try not to let the job stress you negatively too much. Stress with a fun and interesting project is good because it keeps you on your toes, you're engaged, and you're constantly learning something. Stress from potentially being found out you're a fraud? Pish posh, begone with it and don't worry!

Fake it till you make it is how I plan on going about this for now at least.

I'm only coming off like three weeks and honestly the guy who gave me the first week crash course told me not to worry about knowing all the stuff right away. I mean they didn't hire me assuming I knew the ins and outs of the entire school already.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Skeezy posted:

How do y'all deal with the whole impostor syndrome thing of being in IT? I just started this helpdesk thing 3 weeks ago and I feel incredibly out of my element when it comes to everything.

Don't worry, this is normal even for those of us who have been around a while. When I switch to a new place I feel like I am working in molasses for 6 months, and I even used to do consulting, hopping from network to network a lot.

Lean heavily on those soft skills. If you can be friendly and helpful, even if you can't solve problems, that's still worth a lot while you get up to speed.

On my current team, one of the engineers is relatively new to IT as it's his second career. He's the one I like working with the most.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Sep 15, 2021

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Okay, here at the cliff notes.

*She has demanded that anytime I am not to be at work that I run it by her first. I argued that the CEO shutting down the company in order for people to specifically take time off isn't me taking a personally PTO day.

*She said that we are the department that will take off time the least. I asked to be specific about what she means and she rambled around the point without giving a straight answer. I asked her point blank how many days she thinks is acceptable for me to take off in a year and she also refused to give me a straight answer. I asked her if I was still eligible for company holidays off and she said "we will see". :rolleyes:

*I asked her why she left 8 voicemails. She told me I was wrong and she didn't leave 8 voicemails. I sent her a screenshot of my voicemailbox with 8 voicemails from her cell phone in it and she blew up. She said I was a no show for work and again I argued that isn't all the likely since the business is closed right now.

*she rambled on for 10 minutes about how all her previous bosses never let her take pto and she was better for it. I let her know that this isn't a healthy relationship with work and she started screaming my name over and over again.

*I let her know that I had made plans for this week off and that I wasn't going to change them. She made some vague comments about "we will see about that" but meh, she didn't give me any direct orders to stop my vacation.

*I blocked her number for now and we will see what is what by next week.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

*She has demanded that anytime I am not to be at work that I run it by her first. I argued that the CEO shutting down the company in order for people to specifically take time off isn't me taking a personally PTO day.

*She said that we are the department that will take off time the least. I asked to be specific about what she means and she rambled around the point without giving a straight answer. I asked her point blank how many days she thinks is acceptable for me to take off in a year and she also refused to give me a straight answer. I asked her if I was still eligible for company holidays off and she said "we will see". :rolleyes:

*I asked her why she left 8 voicemails. She told me I was wrong and she didn't leave 8 voicemails. I sent her a screenshot of my voicemailbox with 8 voicemails from her cell phone in it and she blew up. She said I was a no show for work and again I argued that isn't all the likely since the business is closed right now.

*she rambled on for 10 minutes about how all her previous bosses never let her take pto and she was better for it. I let her know that this isn't a healthy relationship with work and she started screaming my name over and over again.

*I let her know that I had made plans for this week off and that I wasn't going to change them. She made some vague comments about "we will see about that" but meh, she didn't give me any direct orders to stop my vacation.

Omg

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Internet Explorer posted:

Don't worry, this is normal even for those of us who have been around a while. When I switch to a new place I feel like I am working in molasses for 6 months, and I even used to do consulting, hopping from network to network a lot.

Lean heavily on those soft skills. If you can be friendly and helpful, even if you can't solve problems, that's still worth a lot while you get up to speed.

On my current team, one of the engineers is relatively new to IT as it's his second career. He's the one I like working with the most.

One of the guys who interviewed me told me that like 85% of the job is customer service anyways. The fun IT stuff is only like 15% or so.

----

I appreciate all the words on this, it makes it a bit easier :)

Sickening posted:

Incredible

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Sickening posted:

Good god man, begin running and don’t stop until your legs give out

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What are your thoughts on applying for non entry level jobs that you think you could reasonably do, but have no actual professional experience in the career field? I've been contacted by a recruiter for a level 2 Lead SOC Analyst position, but I'm a career changer that managed a restaurant previously with no real IT or security work experience. I've got CompTIA security certs out the rear end (A+, Network+, Security+, CySA+, Pentest+) and am completing a WGU degree this month, but it really just makes me look like a paper tiger. The guy is definitely just using a shotgun approach to get the position filled, right?

Always apply. What is the worst case scenario? You keep not working there? If you need a job you should be applying to everything and anything you're even remotely vaguely qualified for. Let them make the decision if you get the job or not.

People are so hard up for SOC analysts right now they will legit train you to do the job if you have any sort of basic understanding of what is going on.

If you need help, poo poo ask us, we'll help you out.

Also no one expects most employees to hit the ground running at 100%. 90 days is totally normal to just sort of figure things out, and after about 6 months you should feel like you're contributing. It often takes up to a year to get to where you're 100%. Fake it till you make it, and understand how to find the answers to the problems you have.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Sickening posted:

:f5: See you next week!

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
goonspeed

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

lament.cfg posted:

oh my god he works for Elizabeth Holmes

I was thinking Marissa Mayer because of the video remix of her laughing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I’m surprised that I haven’t worked for that person.

Unless her name is Cheryl.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

As interesting as this story is, let's respect Sickening's wishes and not try to figure out who it is. Makes for a better reveal in the end anyways. :asoiaf:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

lament.cfg posted:

At least send those voicemails to the CEO, noting when they came in during his mandated PTO.

Sickening posted:

Um, yeah - that poo poo needs to come to the attention of *her* boss. Dear God Almighty.
Or not, and keep us (and presumably yourself) entertained.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

skipdogg posted:

Always apply. What is the worst case scenario? You keep not working there? If you need a job you should be applying to everything and anything you're even remotely vaguely qualified for. Let them make the decision if you get the job or not.

People are so hard up for SOC analysts right now they will legit train you to do the job if you have any sort of basic understanding of what is going on.

If you need help, poo poo ask us, we'll help you out.

Also no one expects most employees to hit the ground running at 100%. 90 days is totally normal to just sort of figure things out, and after about 6 months you should feel like you're contributing. It often takes up to a year to get to where you're 100%. Fake it till you make it, and understand how to find the answers to the problems you have.

Yeah, that makes sense. I've just been hearing people say that security is not entry-level while others say to start out in a SOC, and it's confusing to sort things out when it's all conflicting. It's probably just something similar to Skeezy where I should be more confident.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Yeah, that makes sense. I've just been hearing people say that security is not entry-level while others say to start out in a SOC, and it's confusing to sort things out when it's all conflicting. It's probably just something similar to Skeezy where I should be more confident.

Security isn't a great entry-level gig because to understand security well, you really need to understand what you're securing. It can get super loving complicated super quickly. A lot of people who do general tech work have been burnt by security folks who run a tool and send a spreadsheet, without knowing what any of it means. A lot of times it becomes a bit of a battle, someone who doesn't know what they are doing and who is told "this test must be an A+," so they push back on the engineer saying "this is a false positive" or "this doesn't apply because XYZ," but the security person just running the tool has no idea, and it just becomes an annoyance. So general IT folks often tend to look down on those types of security folks.

But the truth of the matter is that we all have to start somewhere and just like in any other field, there's a lot of work to be done that doesn't need an expert doing it. A lot of us started in helpdesk and had no idea how the complex stuff worked and we still made it through. You'll be fine and seriously, we need the help. Tech security is a disaster and it's not going to get better anytime soon.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Sep 16, 2021

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I have quite a few friends who have switch careers into cybersecurity just doing SOC or analyst work. Pays more than what they were doing and only required a 6 month bookcamp.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Skeezy posted:

My background isn't in the field at all but I have been going to school for this and I mean, I like computers and all that stuff already as it is. I just feel overwhelmed since now it's not just me loving around at home with stuff, now I'm setting up labs for classrooms or dealing with people asking me constantly if I "know" my stuff (I hate this so far cause it makes me second guess myself heavy).

I do enjoy what I'm doing and yes it's great to finally get into doing stuff that I like but man I just stress myself over a lot of stuff very quickly.

How is the actual work you're doing going? Are you able to do the things being asked of you?

If yes: you are more than golden, absolutely nothing to worry about

If no: you are probably still fine, you aren't expected to know much when you first start. Being responsive and friendly puts you somewhere in the upper half of helpdesk work. If you don't know how to do something you're tasked with, figure it out or ask for help.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

guppy posted:

How is the actual work you're doing going? Are you able to do the things being asked of you?

If yes: you are more than golden, absolutely nothing to worry about

If no: you are probably still fine, you aren't expected to know much when you first start. Being responsive and friendly puts you somewhere in the upper half of helpdesk work. If you don't know how to do something you're tasked with, figure it out or ask for help.

It's not that I can't do the work, it's just overwhelming at first since it's a new place and I'm the only guy on campus for this stuff.

I'm sure I'll get all used to it and get better, I just need the time to get acquainted with everything.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
You will get used to it 3 weeks is nothing. Give yourself at least 6 months to feel fully capable.

What are people asking "if you know your stuff" about?

Remember most all end users know nothing about IT don't let them intimidate you.

DropsySufferer fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

At this point I'm wondering if Sickening is pulling a Turtle on us...

On the other hand, I've worked with so many folks that are completely capable of displaying the same (or worse) behaviour than their CISO it's certainly possible that it's real. The "oh we'll see about that" is a clear sign of a power hungry psychopath.

Do us a favor and mail this to your CEO asking them to confirm that the mandatory PTO is for everyone or if you misunderstood this. At this point your burning bridges with your CISO so why not fuel the fire (for our amusement).