Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My favorite use of fast travel so far was in the area five dungeon where the whole plot is that Coldsteel is throwing elite mooks at the group to wear them down before he has to fight them and the party is all "oh no we're so worn out but we have to hurry and press on to save the brainwashed!!!" but lol after each draw bridge and the giant zeugal fight I just teleported back to the hidden town on the coast to sleep at the inn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

Aurora posted:

isn't that literally a tutorial when you go to get shionne's new clothes

I must have blanked out on the map list part, just knew I could fast travel to whatever was accessible on the map I was in. Whoops.

boredsatellite posted:

Oh man you weren't using fast travel for days? Man you've been missing out

I was using it only for whatever map I was in, like a fool

FireWorksWell fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Sep 15, 2021

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh my god am I really supposed (pre area 4) to beat this fucker mysterious swordsman? This guy sucks, he can't be staggered and never stops attacking, how the hell am I supposed to beat him?

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

FireWorksWell posted:

I was using it only for whatever map I was in, like a fool

Ahhh. Well at least now you know

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Calaveron posted:

Oh my god am I really supposed (pre area 4) to beat this fucker mysterious swordsman? This guy sucks, he can't be staggered and never stops attacking, how the hell am I supposed to beat him?

Both Alphen and Dohalim's burst artes can down them. Also you don't need to "beat" him, just get him down to I think 75% health.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chaotic Flame posted:

Yeah, same thing happened to me but I hate controlling the main healer because I don't pay enough attention to other's health lol.

Rinwell is very fun but I'm still not very good with her I don't think. Funnily enough I beat Shionne and Rinwell novice arena on hard on the first try even though I'd never controlled Shionne (she learned like six aerial artes lol) and barely played Rinwell. Law and Alphen took multiple tries somehow. Knights suck
the tutorial for the arena says everything is fixed to normal

going by the rest of the thread people are mashing and not listening to explanations at all, looking at you 'secret mechanic for the second lord fight'

i caught two boss fish and then unlocked the third rod. someone on the team must be really trying to make up for berseria's fishing, still far quicker to make money with rare loot accessories and a meal though

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Sydin posted:

My favorite use of fast travel so far was in the area five dungeon where the whole plot is that Coldsteel is throwing elite mooks at the group to wear them down before he has to fight them and the party is all "oh no we're so worn out but we have to hurry and press on to save the brainwashed!!!" but lol after each draw bridge and the giant zeugal fight I just teleported back to the hidden town on the coast to sleep at the inn.

:same:

I figured they would have at least locked out fast travel just to annoy you if you had to walk out to heal, but nope

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Does the game give many outfits that recolours or are they mostly dlc?

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
On the third Lord is their trick to their gimmick do I need to be on their rear end or something?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Starsnostars posted:

Alphin and Shion get like 5 outfits each, everyone else gets a somewhat smaller amount including shared stuff like the Farmer outfits (which is the real reason to do the farm along with the joke weapons associated with them.)

Edit: This isn't counting recolors of which there are like 2-3 each of the character's 'main' outfits

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 16, 2021

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Starsnostars posted:

they're the rewards for owls so far

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Caphi posted:

Boost attacks give you back 3 AG, so they're pretty much how you extend. Boost skills seem to be the best all around.

Is there a way to control who does a boost attack? It seems random. Or does it restore that AG to everyone?

edit: I think I'm confusing boost attacks with boost strikes. Are you talking about the ones that are used against specific enemy types, or the ones that one-shot most weaker enemies?

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 16, 2021

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Ytlaya posted:

Is there a way to control who does a boost attack? It seems random. Or does it restore that AG to everyone?

edit: I think I'm confusing boost attacks with boost strikes. Are you talking about the ones that are used against specific enemy types, or the ones that one-shot most weaker enemies?

The single character attacks are boost attacks that restore AG at the same time. Strikes are the big anime ones where they yell SATAN FLAME CRY OF THE VOID, IGNITION!!!!

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Have people figured out the optimal herb usage? Is there any reason not to use them immediately like they effect a % or can be turned into better herbs?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Megasabin posted:

Have people figured out the optimal herb usage? Is there any reason not to use them immediately like they effect a % or can be turned into better herbs?

theres no reason not to dump them immediately. just use them on whoever youre playing as.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Law and Kisara's boost strike quote is so good

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Nyoro posted:

Also because of the Arena I played as Shionne for the first time just now and wow she's a ton of fun to play

e: and so is Rinwell holy poo poo

Yeah I tried her at the beginning and she sucked because she was missing tools/you would have needed to dedicate 2 out of 3 arte slotes for healing...then played her again for arena and she instantly became my favorite again. Annihilation rules, the bombs rule, Kisara can handle most of the healing.

Megasabin posted:

You just start getting higher tiers of herbs later, you can't convert so just use immediately.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ImpAtom posted:

Alphin and Shion get like 5 outfits each, everyone else gets a somewhat smaller amount including shared stuff like the Farmer outfits (which is the real reason to do the farm along with the joke weapons associated with them.)

Oh so there is a point to the farm? because I got sick of stockpiling all the meat I wasn't even using

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Zeron posted:

Yeah I tried her at the beginning and she sucked because she was missing tools/you would have needed to dedicate 2 out of 3 arte slotes for healing...then played her again for arena and she instantly became my favorite again. Annihilation rules, the bombs rule, Kisara can handle most of the healing.

You don't need to actually hotkey the healing artes - you can cast them just fine out of the menu without having them hotkeyed.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh gee Kisara you had a brother? And he taught you everything you know? Gee wilikers why haven't you brought that up in EVERY SINGLE SKIT YOU ARE A PART OF

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Calaveron posted:

Oh gee Kisara you had a brother? And he taught you everything you know? Gee wilikers why haven't you brought that up in EVERY SINGLE SKIT YOU ARE A PART OF

It's okay after you get out of that first stretch of skits right after the 3rd area she suddenly transforms into the team mom.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Only thing really to take into account with herbs is that Mystic Arts use whichever is your higher value of Attack and Magic Attack (same thing for defending against them in boss fights) so its totally fine to stick to boosting the primary attack stat per character like Rinwell.

Kisara, You're so lucky this is the best fishing game in a JRPG or your constant "Is that a fish? You saw that right" would drive me insane.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Barudak posted:

Only thing really to take into account with herbs is that Mystic Arts use whichever is your higher value of Attack and Magic Attack (same thing for defending against them in boss fights) so its totally fine to stick to boosting the primary attack stat per character like Rinwell.

Kisara, You're so lucky this is the best fishing game in a JRPG or your constant "Is that a fish? You saw that right" would drive me insane.

You have to be patient to fish.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
I am going to be in the water lord's dungeon until I die.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nyoro posted:

You have to be patient to fish.

The farm yields ok money so keep fattening those animals up for market

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

JBP posted:

The farm yields ok money so keep fattening those animals up for market

What do you use for your farm? I just want to get an idea of what to work towards.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FireWorksWell posted:

What do you use for your farm? I just want to get an idea of what to work towards.

I just do a mix of animals with fattening feed and when I notice I have loads of meat I sell a lot of it. I haven't thought too much about what makes money, but I've had a few times where I've been leery about buying life bottles or similar and realised I could sell a bunch of meat to cover it.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Kisara, I really love you but man you nag about spending money as bad as an actual mother

Look, gels are expensive and I need them for Blue Zenos

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

JBP posted:

I just do a mix of animals with fattening feed and when I notice I have loads of meat I sell a lot of it. I haven't thought too much about what makes money, but I've had a few times where I've been leery about buying life bottles or similar and realised I could sell a bunch of meat to cover it.

Thank you!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

god Dragon Swarm is by far Alphen's best arte

I recommend spamming it endlessly, stale move repetition be damned

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
Post 5th Region/Lord spoilers: man, can't say I remember a game having a second anime opening since Wild Arms 2. How much is left in the game at this point?

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

i really can't with the word "zeugle" it makes me lol every time

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MechaX posted:

Post 5th Region/Lord spoilers: man, can't say I remember a game having a second anime opening since Wild Arms 2. How much is left in the game at this point?

About a third left, maybe a little less. It's basically just a slow build to the final dungeon from here.

Just beat the game tonight. Managed to get every subquest done minus the post-game obviously. Dipped my toe into the post-game dungeon, thankfully does not look to be nearly as annoying as previous games. And I got to have a fully voiced conversation with Edna as well, which was nice. :gbsmith:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I just got Dohalin and am very happy to see that he apparently gets two upgrades to "increase the window for perfect dodges." This makes a big difference and I'm actually having fairly decent luck with dodging as him.

In the final dungeon-ish area of Area 3 I suddenly gotten a massive infusion of money from the mobs there. Just suddenly go to the shop afterwards and have like 20 tag things that, combined with the few fish I caught, sold for over 20k.

edit: One other comment on Area 3 plot events - Large-framed men in this game can't catch a break. Every time one is introduced, he dies. It also seems somewhat implausible that no one would have noticed that every single person taken to this "medical facility" never came back, but whatever; the overall plot angle for the chapter was fine. Kisara's JP voice actress is good at loudly crying/screaming.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Sep 16, 2021

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

The tags knight drops is a decent amount of money. Its stupidly easy to max chain encounters in that place too so its a good way to farm money if you are really starved

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
Is there a list for Rinwell's combo spells yet? I feel like I'm probably missing one or two and she's my go-to for chunky bosses since the AI loathes exploiting weaknesses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Finished Area 3 and on the way to 4 and I'm not sure how I feel about my party set up and how I'm allowed to play or mess around.

I feel like I'm kinda caged into having Al, Shionne and Rin because Al shits out damage but is constantly losing HP, I need Shionne to just be a healbot because the game devs thought 'players having resources is too overpowered' and Rinwell because magic is kinda strong in these games.

I have 3 other choices and they all seem cool and fun but it's like... I don't really know what to do with em as I don't think anyone can really be swapped out reasonably.

Are there two more party members? Would make sense with the character loadout diamonds but I can't imagine having to juggle even more at the same time.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Finished Area 3 and on the way to 4 and I'm not sure how I feel about my party set up and how I'm allowed to play or mess around.

I feel like I'm kinda caged into having Al, Shionne and Rin because Al shits out damage but is constantly losing HP, I need Shionne to just be a healbot because the game devs thought 'players having resources is too overpowered' and Rinwell because magic is kinda strong in these games.

I have 3 other choices and they all seem cool and fun but it's like... I don't really know what to do with em as I don't think anyone can really be swapped out reasonably.

Are there two more party members? Would make sense with the character loadout diamonds but I can't imagine having to juggle even more at the same time.

Dohalim is a healer and Kisara won't kill herself like Law. My standard team is Al, Shionne (who I generally control), Rin (who I switch to to exploit weaknesses) and Dohalim who I have heal since Shionne can also abuse weaknesses with offensive spells and her awesome grenades.

I do use Kisara a bit now though since she has a skill that increases her aggro which is really useful. Law I can't really find much a place for outside of having him boost attack something with a shield which he can do from the bench.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Both of the characters you picked up in part 3 can heal. One gets Guardian Field which is a nice off-healer spell but not enough on it's own. The other one is Arise's Natalia to Shionne's Tear: they either start off with or quickly get Heal - which is an upgraded first aid - and later get Cure, which is is an even better single target heal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rinwell's voice recording quality gets bodied in some key cutscenes after zone 5, yowch.

Also one huge QoL miss in this game is not letting you know the level difficulty of Zeugles or quests. After Zone 5 I was level 36 and able to accept a quest that culminated in dropping me off in an unfleeable encounter with a level 63 boss who wiped the floor with me in seconds