Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

1965917 posted:

What the gently caress? What did Reginald D. Hunter ever do to her?

be black at her, I assume

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

1965917 posted:

Putting on my 'dead football forum mod' hat to remind everyone of the time the FA booked him for their Christmas party and he did his usual routine and they tried to get a refund because its not funny when those types say the word back at you

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Military and security pact with United States, UK, and Australia as equal partners called USUKA.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Fire shuts one of UK’s most important power cables in midst of supply crunch

quote:

Coal plants being warmed up as market prices surge to £2,500 per MWh from a norm of £40.

:toot:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

https://twitter.com/ReutersUS/status/1438208559377002501?t=0LZ5B1Tw6h__9ZYtnGw-_Q

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

I assume they're talking about selling the Aussies sandwiches, yeah? Down with baguettes, up with hoagies and doorstops.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Jakabite posted:

Is it gauche to shill your new YouTube channel in the thread? I feel it may be but if anyone is interested drop me a PM :) mostly just me loving about for now but aiming to get into documentary film making and figure making daft but nicely shot videos (which my first assuredly isn’t) is good practice for the videography side of things.

Just post it - the thread is pretty keen on supporting each other!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

1965917 posted:

Eh its just a joke about him being handsome and charming and her being a protective parent
I'm probably giving her too much benefit of the doubt by a mile but that's how I read it

The actual best tweet is her saying leftists snowflakes are "dumbing down panto"
Which might be the funniest thing ever said

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

So this is our Culture Secretary....

I guess culture is dead now?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Communist Thoughts posted:

Eh its just a joke about him being handsome and charming and her being a protective parent
I'm probably giving her too much benefit of the doubt by a mile but that's how I read it

The actual best tweet is her saying leftists snowflakes are "dumbing down panto"
Which might be the funniest thing ever said

that might fly if it wasnt for the rest of the thread

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

fuctifino posted:

Right wing snowflakes want to kill refugees in the channel; boo those taking the knee; and create a fake culture war to push their own nasty ideals. She’s bad, but no worse than the rest. All scum.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Wasn’t it the Leamington Spa fire recently where they’ve arrested the owner on suspicion of arson?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

fuctifino posted:

“dumbing down panto” is my favourite

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
I watch panto for the plot

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

learnincurve posted:

Wasn’t it the Leamington Spa fire recently where they’ve arrested the owner on suspicion of arson?

Unless Leamington Spa has moved to Kent, I don't think so

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I remember when left wing snowflakes banned the best comedy Christmas song from getting into the charts and then had the official video pulled for bullying and harassment. loving left wing snowflakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKOo8rd6T7s

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Graun leading with “Gavin Williamson: a man too stupid even for a Boris Johnson cabinet”. Hopefully he gets that on his tombstone.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
We came across a protest today by Forgotten Veterans highlighting homelessness, PTSD etc. and got talking to one of the guys who has been homeless several times. They are living in portable toilets (like festival toilets) for 5 days.
Anyway this led to a discussion between my friend and I as to whether there is in fact sufficient housing in the UK for everyone to have a home including refugees if there was the political will.
Does anyone know if this is so?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Is it gauche to shill your new YouTube channel in the thread? I feel it may be but if anyone is interested drop me a PM :) mostly just me loving about for now but aiming to get into documentary film making and figure making daft but nicely shot videos (which my first assuredly isn’t) is good practice for the videography side of things.

:justpost:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Dunno about Leamington Spa but mentioning power infrastructure and mysterious shutdowns sets off the Enron Alarm in my head.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We came across a protest today by Forgotten Veterans highlighting homelessness, PTSD etc. and got talking to one of the guys who has been homeless several times. They are living in portable toilets (like festival toilets) for 5 days.
Anyway this led to a discussion between my friend and I as to whether there is in fact sufficient housing in the UK for everyone to have a home including refugees if there was the political will.

Yes there is, in the canary Canary Wharf alone. In a less well known level, the dukeries in Nottinghamshire had 10,000 empty houses that were built by the ministry of defence and oh look it’s all farmland again.

JoylessJester
Sep 13, 2012

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I can only find figures for England: According to the most recent Government figures released in November 2020, 268,385 homes in England had been empty for at least six months. Crisis estimated that around 200,000 people were experiencing core homelessness – the most severe and immediate forms of homelessness – in England in 2020.

Thats before you sort out the the issue of 2nd homes, air bnbs etc.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

JoylessJester posted:

I can only find figures for England: According to the most recent Government figures released in November 2020, 268,385 homes in England had been empty for at least six months. Crisis estimated that around 200,000 people were experiencing core homelessness – the most severe and immediate forms of homelessness – in England in 2020.

Thats before you sort out the the issue of 2nd homes, air bnbs etc.

how is it a home if nobody lives in it

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

A million landlords sit bolt upright and scream “it’s not your home it’s my house!”

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Home is where the heart is, but it's never specified which heart. A beating one under the floorboards that slowly drives you mad still counts.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Yes there is, in the canary Canary Wharf alone. In a less well known level, the dukeries in Nottinghamshire had 10,000 empty houses that were built by the ministry of defence and oh look it’s all farmland again.

Slightly overstated, there's something like a quarter of a million homeless people in the UK and - even if you do the estate agents trick and count everything in E14 as Canary Wharf - there's around 40,000 *complete* dwellings with another 15,000 under construction or with planning approval (plus 5k or so hotel rooms and managed apartments and about 2k dedicated student accommodation). The amount of empty dwellings is of course very tricky to judge but I can state with certainty at least 1 of them is occupied, leaving us about 209,999 short.

The actual problem isn't just the amount of homes, it's the amount of homes that are actually livable - not just in the sense of having four walls and a roof but having the right amount of bedrooms (the lion's share of those 250,000 homeless people are families in illegally overcrowded dwellings but I can't find the number right now) - slapping up bedsits and one-bedroom flats, the main thing developers like to do, is pointless there and the other big thing the love - splitting old, big houses into tiny flats or shares - makes things actively worse.

There's also the unfortunate fact that another big chunk of those empty homes are in places that are basically dead. No jobs, no shops, no anything - they would effectively be prison cells, and there's no amount of magnolia paint and throw pillows that can make people want to move there. Of course the real solution is the one I've touted over and over again - actually spend money outside of London. Even poo poo as simple as subsidising buses into the centre of town would be enough to liven up these places again; of course the New Labour solution to this was to just demolish all those perfectly serviceabe old terraces and replace them with modern shitboxes, which somehow went even worse than you'd imagine.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Thanks for the housing info. Very useful. So basically there is probably almost sufficient housing if the political will to take measures to make places more attractive as potential homes by improving transport and so forth and measures around 2nd homes etc.

Meanwhile, on an unrelated topic. I thought of this thread when I read about this new craze of "beaning".

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/what-beaning-tiktok-craze-sparks-21582135
It follows scenes of children filming themselves smearing baked beans on people’s driveways, homes, and vehicles and then uploading the videos to TikTok with the hashtag “#beanbandits”.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Delinquent youth crazes when I was younger were more like setting cans of paint or solvent on fire, making torches from rags and paraffin, throwing rocks at abandoned factory windows, entering abandoned properties, and a disturbingly popular hobby of actual arson.

Not that I'm a fan of that, but it's an interesting comparison for the amount of sheer incandescent rage in the comments on social media about "kids these days spilling a small amount of baked beans on an outside surface and taking a photo of it, Norman!"

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Thanks for the housing info. Very useful. So basically there is probably almost sufficient housing if the political will to take measures to make places more attractive as potential homes by improving transport and so forth and measures around 2nd homes etc.

Meanwhile, on an unrelated topic. I thought of this thread when I read about this new craze of "beaning".

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/what-beaning-tiktok-craze-sparks-21582135
It follows scenes of children filming themselves smearing baked beans on people’s driveways, homes, and vehicles and then uploading the videos to TikTok with the hashtag “#beanbandits”.

I think its more important that the properties are habitable, not arachnid palaces where the water only runs when it rains, you have to shuffle about in a sleepingbag because there is no heating or leccy, and the bailiffs can kick in your lovingly boarded up doors and windows.

e: Whilst Twisto is happy as Larry residing in 10 Rillington Place.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Sep 16, 2021

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We did house basically everyone homeless for a few weeks in the first lockdown didn't we? Mostly in otherwise unoccupied (because lockdown) hotels.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Blasting beans up your back door (literally)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

There's also the unfortunate fact that another big chunk of those empty homes are in places that are basically dead. No jobs, no shops, no anything

Is it not at least partially the case that these places are dead because all the homes are being held empty?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
The free bus pass that is one of the *very* few benefits of being certified visually impaired requires me to submit a photograph. God forbid someone should take a free bus journey who *wasn't* really the visually impaired person, eh.

e: I can also get someone to accompany me to the cinema and that person gets in free so let me know if anyone wants to see a film

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

HopperUK posted:

The free bus pass that is one of the *very* few benefits of being certified visually impaired requires me to submit a photograph. God forbid someone should take a free bus journey who *wasn't* really the visually impaired person, eh.

e: I can also get someone to accompany me to the cinema and that person gets in free so let me know if anyone wants to see a film

I've imposed a ban on myself from going to the cinema as I have a tendency to spend stripper money on food. But if you can make it to Chelmsford, I'll try to be good.

e: I only mention where I am as I don't know where you are. If it's Arbroath, sorry!

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Sep 16, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jedit posted:

Is it not at least partially the case that these places are dead because all the homes are being held empty?

No (well sort of) - they're mostly owned by the local authority, but a fair few are owned by banks that have repossessed them, but there's just no demand for them at any price - those that can have moved away, and most of those that are left are trapped below the bottom of the property ladder because even if they could sell their house it would barely cover a deposit somewhere else - and even then they're mostly unemployed or retired anyway so it's not like they could even get a mortgage.

Funnily enough it's not the traditional "mining village after the mines closed" areas that are worst off here - it's places like Bolton, Middlesbrough and Hull where the industry withered away more slowly under Thatcher and no attempt at all was made to replace it. Mining areas at least got token attempts at enterprise zones and light industrial development in the 80s and 90s (just check out where all the biggest logistics centres outside of the South East are, a remnant of the Thatcherite "Build a road and a big roundabout and tell the council not to look too closely at planning applications" method of exurban regeneration.

I'm typing this through gritted teeth but these are places where the "placemaking" style of gentrification in the centre of town could actually work out, by pulling young people away from London and Manchester and pulling in tertiary and quartenary industry. Sure it means that you're left with the current residents ending up just working in Starbucks serving shite to Nathan Barley wannabes but even that's better than the current options which are a) gently caress all or b) leave; that tide mark of nail salons and vape shops you get around the edge of these sort of gentrification areas are at least normally locally owned-and-run, and that's about the only way you can start to get any kind of economic activity back into these sort of places. Something like this has been going on, semi-organically, around Newcastle and the Central Belt of Scotland for a while now (there's a reason why call centres are even less intelligible than when they were all going over a 16k VoIP line to Bangalore) and seems to be sticking for now.

gently caress it, just put a giant HGV training centre and building trade college in each of these places and see what happens, it has to be better than the current plan which is "Send a journalist up in a pith helmet once every two years when we want to move the racism dial a bit".

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1438037455538696194?s=19

Eh, he's just the only one the M&S suit fitted.. sorta.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

perfection

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Trickjaw posted:

I've imposed a ban on myself from going to the cinema as I have a tendency to spend stripper money on food. But if you can make it to Chelmsford, I'll try to be good.

e: I only mention where I am as I don't know where you are. If it's Arbroath, sorry!

Hahaha I live in Hertfordshire so maybe someday!

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
This 2011 Shelter report on unused housing stock is a decade old, but still worth reading: https://england.shelter.org.uk/professional_resources/policy_and_research/policy_library/policy_briefing_-_taking_stock

the report doesn't polemically grab readers by the lapels to yell it into their faces, but one can still rather feel the writer exasperatedly responding to the expected talking points one-by-one:
  • there aren't actually that many long-term privately-held empty homes to begin with; the headline figure is nonsense and evaporates after deducting the churn that is necessarily present in a country of 60m people. and what is left is in the wrong places
  • there aren't actually a lot of second homes outside of seaside communities, and the interests of those communities diverge sharply anyway: if they don't want rich old British retirees white as the driven snow moving in, do you think they want low-income or refugees? any argument contingent on current unhappiness must recognize that such measures would increase it further
  • and the vast, vast overwhelming majority of potential housing stock comes from kicking grandma out of the family home, let's see you sell that message to the public. Well, the Tories tried their best anyway.

note that some of the measures the report recommends did become reality, e.g., councils have gained more powers to charge council taxes on empty and second homes since 2011

ronya fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
ronya! I feel like I haven't seen you posting for ages

E: omg I see that going into 1000-word sentence rehab didn't work though

EE: omg he edited in bullet points. The rehab was life changing!

Microplastics fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 16, 2021