Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Dreqqus posted:

Nope, I remember it being a big deal on MtG Twitter when it happened, can't remember which set it was though. Strixhaven maybe?

A big part of why it was a big deal was that WotC did not communicate at all that it wasn't happening anymore, so lots of people had planned around it and were left in the lurch when they were told that it wasn't happening the day of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
There was a prerelease thing for AFR, at least.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Koirhor posted:

The one guy I guess who’s job it was to prep this ahead of time left the company or something a year ago and no one wants to bother anymore

i think that was the rumor but also it seems wotc didnt think it was worth doing anymore

apparently it was huge hassle because you had to manually create thousands of vip accounts and whatnot

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I would think they'd just give it to everyone for a week as part of a promotion to get you to spend on the cards when they get locked a few days later. Seems like an easy way to generate hype for a set that costs literally nothing.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

I would think they'd just give it to everyone for a week as part of a promotion to get you to spend on the cards when they get locked a few days later. Seems like an easy way to generate hype for a set that costs literally nothing.

Lessens the chances the whales will drop :tenbux: x whatever to get the cards right away if they have a chance to try them first?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Lessens the chances the whales will drop :tenbux: x whatever to get the cards right away if they have a chance to try them first?

Yeah, it's the same reason they don't let you test out decks against Sparky if you don't own the cards. Even playing against a completely brain dead AI with bad decks might be enough for some players to sate their curiosity, so it's not worth it to Wizards. I assume that's why they seem to have quietly dropped the planned feature to let you use your friend's card pool for challenges against them too.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 16, 2021

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

It's gonna be like 4pm EST tomorrow lol we got a while

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

It's gonna be like 4pm EST tomorrow lol we got a while

Pretty hosed up to not release a set called Midnight Hunt at 12:00 am

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Pablo Nergigante posted:

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

I would like Dubai some booster packs

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

ilmucche posted:

Weird, glimmer was working this weekend when I was watching some of the legacy challenge

MTGO still managing to have new sets break seemingly unrelated cards at random, nice to see some things never change.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

goferchan posted:

I would like Dubai some booster packs

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

I'm seeing youtube videos of people already opening boxes of Midnight Hunt. Lots of chipping along the foiling and the edges... Seems like WOTC hasn't bothered improving their quality control

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Strong Sauce posted:

I'm seeing youtube videos of people already opening boxes of Midnight Hunt. Lots of chipping along the foiling and the edges... Seems like WOTC hasn't bothered improving their quality control

All Magic unboxing videos must be filmed with hygrometer clearly in frame so we can prove conclusively whether it's WOTC to blame or the user environment.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Wait, Midnight Hunt is already coming out? I feel like the D&D set literally just came out a couple weeks ago. (I know it's been a bit longer than that, but still.)

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
the Day9 midnight hunt card review was fun as hell, but since he was sleep deprived and being held aloft solely by the power of caffeine, he crashed somewhere around the red cards and by the artifacts and lands he had stopped accepting bribes to re-rate cards entirely because he was probably about to fall unconscious

still, there were lots of good bits. a good fun show, he's a hell of an improviser, I'm impressed he kept that energy up for like 4+ hours as is.
https://clips.twitch.tv/GlamorousFrigidBulgogiFUNgineer-QuDgugkw5MReTPFO

Framboise posted:

Wait, Midnight Hunt is already coming out? I feel like the D&D set literally just came out a couple weeks ago. (I know it's been a bit longer than that, but still.)
every couple months now, yeah

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Framboise posted:

The next set after that will come out on November 19th lol, it's crazy. Believe it goes back to every 3~ months after that, though.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

goferchan posted:

The next set after that will come out on November 19th lol, it's crazy. Believe it goes back to every 3~ months after that, though.

if you count the release where they combine both innistrad sets into one (double feature) there will be a release in "early 2022" while kamigawa neon dynasty is set for "Q1 2022" so double feature could come out january 2022, then kamigawa comes out maybe march? april? so it'll be two month cycle of a new product until kamigawa comes out.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
We get a bit of a double-feature this time because they want to get in a November set - rather than it being like Zendikar where one set drops in September and then nothing at all until January (which just dragged on way too long).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
https://twitter.com/TotesMcGoatsMTG/status/1438089599776079874

did this actually happen? if so that's amazing
https://twitter.com/JoINrbs/status/1438241312977797123
https://twitter.com/JoINrbs/status/1438241989208666113

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
If you were ranking cards by their complexity : strategic depth ratio (more complex is bad, more depth is good, sometimes you need to accept a little complexity to get a lot of depth), the text-changing cards would be the undisputed worst cards ever designed. Not only are they insanely complex (especially when it comes to a digital implementation which needs to account for their existence even if there never actually played), every single one of them is also unplayably poo poo. Even the one they printed in Dragon's Maze for some reason.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Hey now, hackball is a great deck!

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Oh my god that is precious

It reminds me of that one casual variant where you have to be super pedantic about the cards, based on the art. Like, if a creature has wings on the art but not Flying, then you can argue that it actually does have flying, etc.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

Does Lier, Disciple of the Drowned

Add a new flashback ability onto your already flashbackable?

For example:

Cost 6R to flashback. If Lier is in play, does that mean the card gains another Flashback cost at 4R?

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Yeah you've got it right - see this ruling on Underworld Breach.

quote:

If a card has multiple abilities giving you permission to cast it, such as two escape abilities or an escape ability and a flashback ability, you choose which one to apply. The others have no effect.
(2020-01-24)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Silhouette posted:

Oh my god that is precious

It reminds me of that one casual variant where you have to be super pedantic about the cards, based on the art. Like, if a creature has wings on the art but not Flying, then you can argue that it actually does have flying, etc.
I knew a guy who did the same thing but wrote "horsemanship" on a bunch of cards

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1438504224048832516?s=20
They really need to stop with the NPE causing legality issues with Bo1, it's such a confusing decision.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

neaden posted:

https://twitter.com/SaffronOlive/status/1438504224048832516?s=20
They really need to stop with the NPE causing legality issues with Bo1, it's such a confusing decision.

lol that is so dumb. Are there any other cards this applies to?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Every card in the intro decks that aren't actually in standard are legal in bo1 standard for some stupid reason. Arena needs a Kitchen Table format so that bo1 standard is the actual standard card pool instead of the dumb poo poo it is now. Standard 2022 was kinda ruined for me because a bunch of decks were running poo poo like Hallowed Priest or Goblin Trashmaster even though one is a fake card and one hasn't been standard legal for 2 years.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

mcmagic posted:

lol that is so dumb. Are there any other cards this applies to?

Any card in a New Player Experience deck is legal in standard Bo1, most of them aren't very good though.
Edit: Goblins might be viable in Bo1 since they have trash master and gang leader.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Goblins are viable without those, since we got some decent burn in MIH to go with Frost Bite and Roil Eruption

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

There was a fun Arena bug this morning where the daily quest wouldn't complete but it would give you the rewards as if you had each time it "thought" you completed it. So lots of people (including me) made thousands of gold for free

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Looks like midnight hunt is live on arena. That was quick

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Allstone posted:

Yeah you've got it right - see this ruling on Underworld Breach.

I kinda want to clone Lier a bunch just to make the Flashbacks pile up, but Mirror Gallery isn't a very convenient card. I could probably just blink the hell out of a snapcaster mage and get there faster

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I kinda want to clone Lier a bunch just to make the Flashbacks pile up, but Mirror Gallery isn't a very convenient card. I could probably just blink the hell out of a snapcaster mage and get there faster

I'm confused: flashback exiles, so why clone Lier? Just for redundancy?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

HootTheOwl posted:

I'm confused: flashback exiles, so why clone Lier? Just for redundancy?

It's funny. Each instance of flashback is a separate ability, so you get a card that's

Whatever

Flashback

Flashback

Flashback

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Sep 16, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I have my suspicions that people are going to enjoy this draft.

fadam fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Sep 16, 2021