Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

raminasi posted:

I don't understand why companies that do this don't just grant promotion bonuses as backpay. (I mean, I do know, it's because they don't have to and nobody thinks like that, but I can dream.)

Companies that are famous for doing this in tech will have equity grants alongside the performance reviews required to get promoted that result in you getting paid for your improved performance prior to promotion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I hear there's a Discord for jaded tech workers. I'm pretty jaded and ready to mingle. Any chance I could get in?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
You need to have around 25 jaded posts in this thread. Or get approval from someone cool, which I am certainly not at all.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
Dang. sad jaded noises

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I could stand to receive a pm with an invite to this jaded discord, maybe.

awesomeolion
Nov 5, 2007

"Hi, I'm awesomeolion."

Anyone have tips or stories about sharing or not sharing your wildly high compensation numbers with civilians?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

awesomeolion posted:

Anyone have tips or stories about sharing or not sharing your wildly high compensation numbers with civilians?

Lead or follow with how ridiculous the market is right now. If you're extremely embarrassed, do that and only talk base not total.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

awesomeolion posted:

If people are curious or giving numbers I'll be open about it and if they aren't I won't. I also won't open a conversation with it because that's ultra douchey. Like "i just got a new bmw because when you make 200k a year you can treat yourself!"

My wife is embarrassed about it so I won't talk hard numbers in front of her at all. She knows how much I make obviously but she feels like it's gauche and braggy under any circumstances.

Flail Snail
Jul 30, 2019

Collector of the Obscure
I was pretty severely underpaid ($40k in a supposedly hot midwestern job market) when I started my first industry job years ago. I didn't know it at the time, though, as redneck me had just graduated and I'd never seen numbers that big before. Even that vast underpayment elicited a "that's more than both of us make combined" from my parents. I don't talk salary anymore unless it's with my wife or a colleague.

I've been interviewing again lately and I'm apparently still underpaid, if a bit less than before. At least we're comfortable enough given our circumstances.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Talking openly about compensation among my real life programmer friends is one of the biggest mutually beneficial career topics we've discussed. A couple years ago we all motivated each other to get new jobs and everyone like doubled their comp.

The market moves fast and in my experience all the things like Glassdoor and Payscale and LinkedIn are woefully behind the times, and also focus way too solely on salary. If you believe those sites you're going to get TC like 25-50% less than market, or worse. Levels.fyi is the best one, but getting real world reports from your own locality from people you know and trust and generally have a feel for their skills and personality is even better.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

My wife is embarrassed about it so I won't talk hard numbers in front of her at all.

Hopefully you mean when other people are present. I sure hope you can discuss hard numbers about your household finances with your wife.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Sep 15, 2021

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i'm destitute by thread standards but very comfy by local standards. cost of living around here is super low.
i don't ever mention actual numbers unless i know they either make the same as me or could be making the same as me. everyone else i just say something along the lines of "i make decent money" or "enough to support my [honestly very frugal] lifestyle", else i feel like i'm bragging
i have a couple (developer) friends who were being comically underpaid and helped them get similar pay.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Guinness posted:

Talking openly about compensation among my real life programmer friends is one of the biggest mutually beneficial career topics we've discussed. A couple years ago we all motivated each other to get new jobs and everyone like doubled their comp.

It's this, yes

This is true for a lot of things, if you hang out with fat people, statistically you'll probably gain weight; if you hang out with academic nerds, chances are your grades will go up. If you hang out with people gaming their salary numbers.... Chances are your income will rise.

That said, the negotiation thread here on SA is probably worth cumulatively $100k to me over the last decade, probably more, everyone should go bookmark that thread immediately

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Hadlock posted:

That said, the negotiation thread here on SA is probably worth cumulatively $100k to me over the last decade, probably more, everyone should go bookmark that thread immediately
:emptyquote:

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I truly believe that thread alone has been cumulatively worth many millions of dollars to goons

VVVVV yeah, only with my closer friends that are also devs, not to everyone. if someone asks and really wants to know I'll share, but otherwise i don't bring it up

Guinness fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 15, 2021

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Guinness posted:

Yeah, this is my stance when talking to other devs, but if I'm talking to a friend who isn't a dev I just don't talk about concrete numbers unless directly asked because it really is an embarrassing amount of money

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

Whoops I meant to say cumulatively $100k extra salary per year lmfao

To date it's probably like $500,000-600k lifetime total earnings, so far

Best $10 I ever spent

Of course nobody talked me out of moving from Texas to California, so now I pay an extra 10% in taxes (state income) but overall it's been a huge net positive

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Hadlock posted:

Whoops I meant to say cumulatively $100k extra salary per year lmfao

To date it's probably like $500,000-600k lifetime total earnings, so far

Best $10 I ever spent

Of course nobody talked me out of moving from Texas to California, so now I pay an extra 10% in taxes (state income) but overall it's been a huge net positive

You don't live in Texas which seems pretty great

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Hadlock posted:

Highly recommend to every and anyone to read the whole thread front to back. Thread has collectively earned goons millions of dollars more than they'd otherwise have as a class.

The outcomes from that thread are insane and individually tangible.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

RC Cola posted:

I just moved here. It's hot and terrible, but the tax situation seems nice.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

leper khan posted:

I just moved here. It's hot and terrible, but the tax situation seems nice.

Don't worry, sometimes it gets cold and you don't have power anymore. That's the price to pay for freedom though :clint:

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Hopefully you mean when other people are present. I sure hope you can discuss hard numbers about your household finances with your wife.

Yes, that's what I meant. My friends and I are very open about talking about how much we make and it makes her uncomfortable, so I stopped doing it in front of her. It's probably for the best because there were a few awkward situations in mixed company with some of her friends. Like saying "I got a pretty decent bonus this year, 40k." in front of someone who makes 35k, for whom a 40k bonus would absolutely be a staggering, life-changing windfall.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

RC Cola posted:

Yeah I have a daughter now and I'm regretting leaving Texas a whole lot less now given Very Recent developments

The taxes are higher in California but there's just no way I was ever going to get to the point where I could take up hobbies like yacht racing make significant economic strides without moving so I guess you could say the higher taxes are already built in to my career plans

The food in Texas is a lot better though

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

Yeah I have a daughter now and I'm regretting leaving Texas a whole lot less now given Very Recent developments

The taxes are higher in California but there's just no way I was ever going to get to the point where I could take up hobbies like yacht racing make significant economic strides without moving so I guess you could say the higher taxes are already built in to my career plans

The food in Texas is a lot better though

My TC is still north of 200k, and I can afford to buy what would be an insanely large house in SF.

Political sit is real dumb right now. Not sure how to address that really, but if tech keeps moving here maybe that will sort itself. Probably not. :smith:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Politics in Texas largely boils down to how much of the latino vote republicans can flip before the 2030 census/redistricting

Texas almost voted Ted Cruz (R-TX) out in favor of a democratic challenger (Beto), and in the next Trumpless election, a Very Moderate democrat might actually have a shot at winning Texas in a national election but that's 4-8 years away, I'm going to change jobs three times before that happens

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Hadlock posted:

that's 4-8 years away, I'm going to change jobs three times before that happens

:yossame:

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016
Literally memorizing Kleppmann and then asking myself how I'd design a bunch of example systems should be good prep for an L5 system design interview, right?

Was also going to memorize the top 20-40% of papers cited in each chapter but if I'm not aiming for L6 then there's probably no need to shock my interviewers with technical details, so just being able to coherently present an effective solution should be good enough?

I'm like 60% through. Got the first 50% understood and memorized but getting pretty burnt out going through it so quick. Takes me like 45 minutes to walk through my memory of it at this point so about to start spacing out my repetitions.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Any competent interviewer will be able to very easily distinguish between things you've memorized and things you actually understand. You probably shouldn't count on a system design interview being incompetent.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
oliveoil have you literally never done a system design interview? You demonstrate an extremely misguided understanding of them.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
You can't memorize your way into a system design interview. You'll be expected to talk about alternatives and why you didn't use them.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
That and... studying isn't really going to help you get the experience working on something end to end at all, which is what you really need to succeed in these. Not just textbook memorization.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender
A friend at a FAANG walked me through some mock system interviews, and I completely flubbed them at first. His problem statement was something like "We want to make an Instagram clone, how would you design that?" and I immediately came up with rapidfire questions about budgets, what repurposable resources were already in place, PII requirements, etc... all the stuff that does need to get asked if you're actually designing a production system. He looked bewildered, and gently explained that really he was just after "you set up a web server with load balancers and a back end DB, and then chat about how you'd scale it up from there".

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

oliveoil posted:

Literally memorizing Kleppmann and then asking myself how I'd design a bunch of example systems should be good prep for an L5 system design interview, right?

Was also going to memorize the top 20-40% of papers cited in each chapter but if I'm not aiming for L6 then there's probably no need to shock my interviewers with technical details, so just being able to coherently present an effective solution should be good enough?

I'm like 60% through. Got the first 50% understood and memorized but getting pretty burnt out going through it so quick. Takes me like 45 minutes to walk through my memory of it at this point so about to start spacing out my repetitions.

I'll go a bit against the grain and say... maybe?

If you're actually learning and retaining Kleppmann and are able to put it all together in practice in a system design then that's going to be better than most people do.

You should also read up and practice a bit with the actual structure of a system design interview, asking the right questions is one of the most important parts of the system design interview, so if you just go in and take the problem statement and start throwing stuff on the whiteboard you're not going to do well.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

minato posted:

A friend at a FAANG walked me through some mock system interviews, and I completely flubbed them at first. His problem statement was something like "We want to make an Instagram clone, how would you design that?" and I immediately came up with rapidfire questions about budgets, what repurposable resources were already in place, PII requirements, etc... all the stuff that does need to get asked if you're actually designing a production system. He looked bewildered, and gently explained that really he was just after "you set up a web server with load balancers and a back end DB, and then chat about how you'd scale it up from there".

His question is trash and your answer is way better than what is expected though you can condense it into just asking what the requirements are.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
longtime reader first time poster: normally I want everyone to stack figgies and get paid, companies be damned

buuuuuuut the kid trying to parlay "decent L3 review" into "l6 job": lmao gently caress off

oliveoil
Apr 22, 2016

Jose Valasquez posted:

I'll go a bit against the grain and say... maybe?

If you're actually learning and retaining Kleppmann and are able to put it all together in practice in a system design then that's going to be better than most people do.

You should also read up and practice a bit with the actual structure of a system design interview, asking the right questions is one of the most important parts of the system design interview, so if you just go in and take the problem statement and start throwing stuff on the whiteboard you're not going to do well.

Yeah it seems straightforward for the most part and I think I'd be able to use most of it right now except for some stuff about replication challenges and implementing some of the serializable transaction levels which might be tricky to reason about in an interview.

Leaderless replication is also something I glazed over so I'll have to go back and understand that before I can really memorize it too.

I'll look at some examples of system design interviews and see how they're structured, that's a good idea. Thank you!

Good Will Hrunting posted:

That and... studying isn't really going to help you get the experience working on something end to end at all, which is what you really need to succeed in these. Not just textbook memorization.

If you haven't worked on a system with a graph database then will you just fail if an interviewer's favorite question is best served by one?

Ensign Expendable posted:

You can't memorize your way into a system design interview. You'll be expected to talk about alternatives and why you didn't use them.

How do you know what alternatives exist if you don't read about them and remember them somehow? Very few people would have used all the alternatives, even at big companies.

minato posted:

I immediately came up with rapidfire questions about budgets, what repurposable resources were already in place, PII requirements, etc...

These are things (plus reliability, privacy, testing, future maintenance and operational demands, etc) I've considered in real designs. Even my first job had me figuring out how to process credit card info in my first few months, which probably wasn't a great idea for a junior who barely understood GET vs POST, though my seniors reviewed it.

Actually, now that I think about it, my first job lasted six months but gave me way more room to independently gather requirements and design solutions much faster than at Google.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know
I feel nostalgic for how!! riling up the thread by saying that tech interviews should be week-long implementations of Enterprise FizzBuzz. Those were good times.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Mniot posted:

I feel nostalgic for how!! riling up the thread by saying that tech interviews should be week-long implementations of Enterprise FizzBuzz. Those were good times.

And the solution to every problem was to rewrite from scratch.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

And the solution to every problem was to rewrite from scratch.

When you're L6 it takes them a lot longer to fire you for reimplementing everything.

At higher levels you can even make up a new language to use in the rewrite.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Mniot posted:

When you're L6 it takes them a lot longer to fire you for reimplementing everything.

At higher levels you can even make up a new language to use in the rewrite.

Making a new language for a total rewrite of some product at a major tech company is a level of resume driven development that most people can only dream of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

wilderthanmild posted:

Making a new language for a total rewrite of some product at a major tech company is a level of resume driven development that most people can only dream of.

it's even better when the proprietary language comes with a 350 page long manual written by the author of that language.