Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

Or at least make it 60fps because I want to dive back in.

I am so close to just buying it on steam just for this. I know they are going charge us for it but gently caress at least give me the option to pay for it.

TBF to RDR2 though I'm not sure exactly what they could squeeze out of the series X because the game right now looks fuckin amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I loved the hell out of RDR2 and the slow action really complimented my playstyle and helped to increase my immersion, but I also understand that some people, possibly even the majority of people hate it and I'm not about to try and tell them they're wrong.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

Professor Beetus posted:

e: boilerplate disclaimer not to preorder video games though

Any reason for that?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Laserface posted:

I really want to see the new COD tank. I know it will still do well because there are swathes of smoothbrains that but it every year like its FIFA with guns, but I want so badly for it to fail.

:rolleyes:

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I Am Fish is so clumsy and unresponsive that I can't even tell if any irregular behavior I'm experiencing is a bug or not.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
In my experience preordering on Amazon can mean the game arrived at 8pm. If you're cool with that they're fine.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The skating in Skatebird feels really slow.

vv I like the fluttering

John F Bennett fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Sep 16, 2021

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

John F Bennett posted:

The skating in Skatebird feels really slow.
how does the birding feel

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

otter posted:

Any reason for that?

Dunno about that other poster, but pre-ordering is almost always a bad idea. Absolute best case scenario: you get instant access to a fantastic game and support your favourite developer. Far more likely scenario: you've just dropped $50 on a mediocre game sight unseen, will have the worst possible experience between bugs/server crashes etc, and your "support" goes into yachts and cocaine for the execs.

It's always a better idea to read a few release day reviews, see what the online consensus is between play now/play after patches/don't waste your time. If people like the game, cool, just buy it, it's not like in this digital era you'll have trouble finding a copy. If the game's half-baked don't bother, or wait to pick it up at 75% off after it's been properly patched.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Preordering on Amazon used to be like 10$ off retail, so if you were going to pick a game up anyway it was kind of silly not to. I don’t think they offer that discount anymore though.

Someone else mentioned this, but they also don’t charge your card until the product ships, so it’s not like they hold 5 dollars hostage like GameStop.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I am a smoothbrain I guess because I like Cold War a lot. MW was my first cod and imo it's kinda boring after a bit because the maps aren't great and it sorta rewards camping. I like running around shooting people in the face at hyperspeed because I am old and grew up on Doom and Quake.

It'd be nice if we could express that we dislike a game without throwing around borderline offensive terms.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Skatebird feels like if Burger King made a 4th Xbox game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Happy Hedonist posted:

It'd be nice if we could express that we dislike a game without throwing around borderline offensive terms.

You're new here aren't you.

Joking. 2 hours to go until Xbox royalty can play the beta. Any loadouts recommend yet?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You're new here aren't you.

Joking. 2 hours to go until Xbox royalty can play the beta. Any loadouts recommend yet?

Whoa. Do you have to preorder? It says exclusive pre-order and get open beta access? I mean, doesn't open beta imply it's open to everyone? lol

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy Hedonist posted:

I am a smoothbrain I guess because I like Cold War a lot. MW was my first cod and imo it's kinda boring after a bit because the maps aren't great and it sorta rewards camping. I like running around shooting people in the face at hyperspeed because I am old and grew up on Doom and Quake.

I enjoyed MW a lot more than Cold War but I still play Cold War a lot, though pretty much exclusively that Nuketown 24/7 playlist. It's not a new map to me since I've been playing the various Call of Dutys since the very first one back in like 2003, but it's a reliable time waster. And my dumb rear end pre-ordered Vanguard since CoD is the one series of games I buy every year even if they're bad :shepface:

I guess I'll see if I like it in a little while when the beta starts!

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Rageaholic posted:

I enjoyed MW a lot more than Cold War but I still play Cold War a lot, though pretty much exclusively that Nuketown 24/7 playlist. It's not a new map to me since I've been playing the various Call of Dutys since the very first one back in like 2003, but it's a reliable time waster. And my dumb rear end pre-ordered Vanguard since CoD is the one series of games I buy every year even if they're bad :shepface:

I guess I'll see if I like it in a little while when the beta starts!

Is Rush an old map too? I absolutely love nuke town and rush.

I’m going to buy vanguard but I’ve spent the little fun money I have atm on other things, so if the beta is pre-order only report back! I’m unironically excited about the MP.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Blue Raider posted:

Preordering on Amazon used to be like 10$ off retail, so if you were going to pick a game up anyway it was kind of silly not to. I don’t think they offer that discount anymore though.

I think that stopped within a week after the Best Buy game club they were competing against was discontinued.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

otter posted:

Any reason for that?

cyberpunk 2077

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
I know release day Switch games show up at Walmart for $50 in store, not sure if that applies to your various Boxes and Stations

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
TBH I stopped preordering poo poo because of game pass. I still buy games I know I'll want to keep forever, but there's little to no benefit to preordering. That said, at least on Amazon you're only charged when it ships so it's not like you're giving them 60 bucks months in advance.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

otter posted:

Any reason for that?

A history of high profile games continually ending up disappointing.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

The only games I have ever pre-ordered were Skyrim, Fallout 3, Fable 3 and GTA5. And now the sequels for 3/4 of those will be on gamepass day 1.

edit: winning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

preordering games for a console that has gamepass is crazy stuff

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Except the CoDs of Duty aren't on Game Pass! :eng101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I need someone that is not Activision to make a free to play competitive shooter that competes with Call of Duty multiplayer.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I said come in! posted:

I need someone that is not Activision to make a free to play competitive shooter that competes with Call of Duty multiplayer.

343i :hehe:

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

I'm very very excited for the Big Team Battle flight next week.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

One of my favourite things about the Yakuza games is the NPCs that accidentally walk into a cutscene and go "oh poo poo" and turn around.

I've been sick the past couple of days and stuck in bed and for various reasons the Series S, PS5 and PS4 Pro are all set up downstairs so all I've got in my bedroom is a base Xbox One. I've been playing a lot of Destiny 2 and Yakuza LAD on it after not touching it for a long time and it's actually not as bad as I remembered. The home UI isn't as slow as either it used to be or I remembered it being, and games don't look that bad at the distance I'm playing them from... I guess with just playing very recent games on it it's a credit to how far devs were able to take that lovely hardware.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

webmeister posted:

Dunno about that other poster, but pre-ordering is almost always a bad idea. Absolute best case scenario: you get instant access to a fantastic game and support your favourite developer. Far more likely scenario: you've just dropped $50 on a mediocre game sight unseen, will have the worst possible experience between bugs/server crashes etc, and your "support" goes into yachts and cocaine for the execs.

It's always a better idea to read a few release day reviews, see what the online consensus is between play now/play after patches/don't waste your time. If people like the game, cool, just buy it, it's not like in this digital era you'll have trouble finding a copy. If the game's half-baked don't bother, or wait to pick it up at 75% off after it's been properly patched.

Interesting.
I can't remember the last time I pre-ordered a game (maybe never) before 2021.
Then again, I got Diablo 2 (series x), Wario Ware (switch) and The Huntdown (switch) pre-ordered in the last month. But I guess with that, I sorta know exactly what I'm getting.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I have only pre-ordered one game in my entire life.

It was Cyberpunk 2077.

True story.

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

meat police posted:

I am guessing Pluto TV got yanked from the App Store? Wish they’d at least say why. I didn’t use it a whole lot, but more options is nicer

Uh, never mind. It’s up just a few hours later. Weird :confused:

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

I said come in! posted:

ok the games stupid rear end mohawk punk rock aesthetic is loving stupid but underneath that is blops 2 with team-based objectives (payload, koth, etc.) and throwables replaced with class abilities

honestly itll play fine when it comes out but ubisoft needs to tone down the stupid punk rock mosh pit zoomer bullshit thats screwing up this games potential

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that is maybe the most unappealing game art i've ever seen

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Happy Hedonist posted:

Whoa. Do you have to preorder? It says exclusive pre-order and get open beta access? I mean, doesn't open beta imply it's open to everyone? lol

You get the beta 24 hours earlier if you pre-order I think. I've played 4 or 5 games now and I'm wondering what the gently caress they've been doing for 4 years. It reminds me of Ghosts in its banality.

Also the graphics glitches on XSX are mental.

https://ibb.co/FxCPVKc

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 16, 2021

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

WattsvilleBlues posted:

You get the beta 24 hours earlier if you pre-order I think. I've played 4 or 5 games now and I'm wondering what the gently caress they've been doing for 4 years. It reminds me of Ghosts in its banality.

Fantastic! Hopefully it gets better, but lol

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

Splinter Cell, Metro, Dishonored, and Conan Barbarians come in with everything for a huge party

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Quantum of Phallus posted:

that is maybe the most unappealing game art i've ever seen
:xd:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So for CoD Vanguard...they're sure this thing is a beta and not an alpha? Because it neither looks nor sounds as good as Cold War :stare:

I think there were two separate beta installs, one for Xbone and one for Series X|S, and I got the Series X|S one but I sure as hell can't tell the difference. This certainly doesn't look like a Series X game to me.

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Wait, they've really been working on this for 4 years? What the gently caress lol. There's no way.

They should really delay this thing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rageaholic posted:

Because it neither looks nor sounds as good as Cold War :stare:

That’s hilarious because Cold War looked worse than MW2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Quantum of Phallus posted: