Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Elusive Samurai - Chapter 31

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Sensation Comics #3 (1942)

You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation! (2009) (reprint)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Darthemed posted:

Sensation Comics #3 (1942)

Does memory have any effect when you're supposed to be taking diction? You're typing what someone says as they say it.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
Taking notes in shorthand, then typing them up. (Your point still applies though.)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I've always wanted to learn shorthand, like, not enough to make any attempt at it, but I was looking for some other how to book in a library and saw a book about it and though, "that seems handy." and that was like 15-20 years ago and every single time the subject of shorthand comes up, I think "I really wish I'd grabbed that book."

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

If you didn't care to learn it for schooling then yeah it's never gonna happen. Before ubiquitous laptops and phone audio recording it was the best method for taking notes in lectures.

Ragle Gumm
Jun 14, 2020
I still occasionally use (a bastardised version of) Teeline in meetings.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Skwirl posted:

I've always wanted to learn shorthand, like, not enough to make any attempt at it, but I was looking for some other how to book in a library and saw a book about it and though, "that seems handy." and that was like 15-20 years ago and every single time the subject of shorthand comes up, I think "I really wish I'd grabbed that book."

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Lex’s “TT” is making me question Damien Wayne’s true parentage…

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Splint Chesthair posted:

Lex’s “TT”
what

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh okay I completely glazed over that

Probably just a Grant Morrison thing

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I imagine that given Themyscira's connection to ancient Greece that the Method of Loci is fairly standard there.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Superman #18 (1942)

Booster Gold #9 (2008)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Blue Beetle #18 (1943)

Exiles #19 (2003)

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Mandrake the Magician (2004)

Narda doesn't care about responsible gun handling.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

Darthemed posted:

Exiles #19 (2003)

I feel like I’m looking at this through the bottom of my rocks glass.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Kennel posted:

Mandrake the Magician (2004)

Narda doesn't care about responsible gun handling.

Is she threatening him with a derringer or a can opener?

If the former, fully loaded means one shot, maybe 2 if the writers are feeling generous.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Typically home invasions are not multiple men, and even if they are, putting one in the ground tends to deter the rest.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

"I'll trick her into shooting me, then she'll be all out of bullets!"

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kwyndig posted:

Typically home invasions are not multiple men, and even if they are, putting one in the ground tends to deter the rest.
I once experienced a home invasion with multiple men--2 as far I could tell. There was a whole wave of them in that town that year (2000), but the wave virtually disappeared when some of them got shot. Some people got rid of invaders just by shouting "I HAVE A GUN."

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Drakyn posted:

Hah, thought it looked familiar - that's the same artist that did Giant Days with John Allison.

edit: if your reaction to this is 'no poo poo' please I beg of don't take the tiny tiny accomplishment of me actually noticing something away from me.

I actually googled it up just to make sure before I got to your post. Goddamn I love that Max Sarin's art.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Kwyndig posted:

Eh, Madrox can always make more dupes if he needs them.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

evilmiera posted:

Is she threatening him with a derringer or a can opener?

If the former, fully loaded means one shot, maybe 2 if the writers are feeling generous.
Probably something like a Beretta Model 1935, 8+1 rounds of .32 ACP.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yeah comics artists, unless they had military experience, are not great at drawing real guns. But nobody's going to have a derringer these days, they're for serious nuts who want concealable firepower, not home defense enthusiasts like Narda here. She would want something small, but a Beretta would definitely fit her needs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's late stage mandrake. they're not good at drawing anything.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ANATOMY!

Baki-dou - Chapter 105

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Infinitum posted:

ANATOMY!

Baki-dou - Chapter 105

Dummy Thicc Kick.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's late stage mandrake. they're not good at drawing anything.

Over on the Comic Strips thread this is being told as a flashback story to an interviewer who looks like the criminal in a different haircut and I can't tell if that's intentional.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

ANATOMY!

Baki-dou - Chapter 105

baki’s art has a lot in common with tradd moore’s

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uh oh!

Incredible Hulk #345

bessantj fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Sep 16, 2021

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Bruceski posted:

Over on the Comic Strips thread this is being told as a flashback story to an interviewer who looks like the criminal in a different haircut and I can't tell if that's intentional.

American comic strips always suffer from the fact that artists, for one reason or another, keep working until their 80s or 90s. Also speaking from personal experience guns are hard to draw.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

American comic strips always suffer from the fact that artists, for one reason or another, keep working until their 80s or 90s.

It's always sad, but fascinating to see when the quality starts going down towards the end. Unfortunately I don't have the last Mandrake story by Fred Fredericks (84) at hand, but it became completely incoherent.

Here's the end of Apartment 3-G by Frank Bolle, 91

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kennel posted:

It's always sad, but fascinating to see when the quality starts going down towards the end. Unfortunately I don't have the last Mandrake story by Fred Fredericks (84) at hand, but it became completely incoherent.

Then again, I wish I could draw that well when I'm 91.

e: Wait, what the gently caress?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Oh shoot, I forgot the Sunday page.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Kennel posted:

I believe it was 3-G where the writer by the end got really frustrated that they were writing a fairly dramatic story with who they wanted to be modern young adults, but the artist just refused to draw anything other than 'bland people in 70s-esque business fashion talking at each other'.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

scary ghost dog posted:

baki’s art has a lot in common with tradd moore’s

He's usually pretty good at showing motion, but yeahhhh ~anatomy~

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Keisuke Itagaki learnt all his anatomy from Ukiyo-e

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Look, the butt cheeks are clearly a metaphor, it says so right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah comics artists, unless they had military experience, are not great at drawing real guns.

There was that Wolverine panel (trading card?) where he had been shot up, but the artist drew it as if the bullets had been jammed into his body, casings and all. I could not give less of a poo poo about off-model guns in comics, but I love it when an goof like that gets through to publication.

Does anyone remember what I’m talking about? I can’t find the artwork anywhere.