Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1314204222242484224

real psycho poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

lol at lecturing on security before prosperity given the whole covid situation rn

double lol at citing castro as an example of the potency of our august wrath

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

jesus lol

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

imagining how it’d be reported if china sent people around threatening to assassinate heads of state if they continue working with america. lol.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

its war then

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

the confluence of france, underwater stuff, and new zealand is making me remember when french intelligence agents blew up a greenpeace vessel that was docked in auckland lol

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Basically, it comes down to the fact that, French built Australian subs were designed for defense and they need nuclear propulsion to reach the SCS. The question is why should the average Australian care about spending billions on a project aimed at their largest trade partner because the Pentagon didn’t want to pay for it?

(Also, the Chinese are rapidly expanding their fleet with still really pretty limited economic effort at 1.3% of gdp. What would happen if they actually tried?)

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 07:19 on Sep 16, 2021

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

China is the largest exporter to the US, Australia, and UK(as of this Summer). I guess their plan is to freeze out China and effectively sanction themselves into privation and chaos. UK already hosed up their supply chains with Brexit, why not double down. Alienating France at a sensitive time is an unexpected bonus lol.

It's like a Voltron made out of carboard and glue pointing a gun at its own head.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China is already turning on additional screws on Australia after lobster/coal/wine/education industry, check how the iron ore price drop back to near pre covid price after China announced new iron restriction.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Wait, what clown thinks the EU should play "a key role" in security in the Indo-Pacific region? Are the French going to sing Ode to Joy next time they sink a Greenpeace ship in New Zeeland?

gradenko_2000 posted:

the Aussies had already spent some 2 billion on a nuclear sub program in collaboration with the French

apparently the AUS gov't has trashed all that after Biden offered US help with nucs

Lol. DCNS must be pissed.

Stringent posted:

that's a very western centric and naive read of the situation imo.

the correct reasoning is probably something more along the lines that japan and sk would probably have declined membership if offered. they both have a very long history with china and i'm pretty confident that the presiding sentiment in japan at least is that the ongoing western dominance of asia at the expense of china is not in any way a foregone conclusion, and the consequences of picking the wrong team will be far more immediate for japan or sk than they would be for aus, much less the us or the uk.

If it's mostly about submarines I can see it. Both Japan and SK take industrial policy more serious than any of those other jokers.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Basically, it comes down to the fact that, French built Australian subs were designed for defense and they need nuclear propulsion to reach the SCS. The question is why should the average Australian care about spending billions on a project aimed at their largest trade partner because the Pentagon didn’t want to pay for it?

(Also, the Chinese are rapidly expanding their fleet with still really pretty limited economic effort at 1.3% of gdp. What would happen if they actually tried?)

They'd waste a lot of resources on dead weight?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1438367711487148032?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
raprock myboss
obiden-bama democrat
you know the thing!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Abandoning a french agreement so that the US president can forget my name live

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

maybe i'm just a contrarian but i think if i was an australian and i saw that speech I would immediately start lobbying for cooperation with China out of spite

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't blame anyone for forgetting which rear end in a top hat is PM this time since we haven't had one last a full term since 2007

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

IAMKOREA posted:

maybe i'm just a contrarian but i think if i was an australian and i saw that speech I would immediately start lobbying for cooperation with China out of spite

i think a p fair number of boomer australians agree with the guy

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

IAMKOREA posted:

don't worry australians are all horribly racist and would never side with any country that wasn't majority white

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

genericnick posted:

They'd waste a lot of resources on dead weight?

Arguably, China still needs to expand its fleet if AUKUS actually is intending to try to cut their supply lines, but China’s economy is already so large they can do it that easily. The West couldn’t compete with them at all if they made an real effort.

Also the whole point of military spending is make the other guy waste a larger portion of their economy on dead weight than you do.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:22 on Sep 16, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
if China starts spending lots of money of military expansion then they're going to bankrupt themselves doing it and the whole thing will collapse just like what happened with the USSR!

... is probably what people in the NatSec blob would like to believe

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
Really does look like boring MIC grift and a doubling down on the Racist White Apartheid Countries Alliance.

This feels really half baked, like basically a ploy to station US subs in Australia and then gently caress around for a decade not delivering on a super expensive weapons program that we're going to dupe them into sharing costs on. I really wonder how mutual this all was and when/where it was cooked up.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

China is the largest exporter to the US, Australia, and UK(as of this Summer). I guess their plan is to freeze out China and effectively sanction themselves into privation and chaos. UK already hosed up their supply chains with Brexit, why not double down. Alienating France at a sensitive time is an unexpected bonus lol.

It's like a Voltron made out of carboard and glue pointing a gun at its own head.

This decade would be all about western powers selling each other out while dying to pandemics as hard as they can

Palladium has issued a correction as of 10:29 on Sep 16, 2021

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
China takes over the world just by waiting for everyone else to stab themselves and each other in the balls to death in the name of capitalism.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

if China starts spending lots of money of military expansion then they're going to bankrupt themselves doing it and the whole thing will collapse just like what happened with the USSR!

... is probably what people in the NatSec blob would like to believe

Arguably, the reserve situation is more likely at this point especially considering the amount of bloat in Western militaries.

Also, e PRC’s economy in PPP is already significantly larger than AUKUS.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 10:42 on Sep 16, 2021

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

IAMKOREA posted:

mearsheimer is a weirdo because his whole approach is to explain all the ruthless stuff that the U.S. is going to do to grind your country into bonemeal, and then when called on it, says "i'm not saying that's good, i'm just saying that's what's going to happen, i'm just a structuralist!" it's very strange.

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M37Wxt5yLUI&t=288s

tian wei, the interviewer, is like *cringe* "uhh yeah ok"

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:46 on Sep 16, 2021

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, the reserve situation is more likely at this point especially considering the amount of bloat in Western militaries.

Also, e PRC’s economy in PPP is already significantly larger than AUKUS.

Dunno about you, but I'm not gonna bet against somebody militarily who can sell me multimeters for $3 including shipping

GoLambo posted:

Really does look like boring MIC grift and a doubling down on the Racist White Apartheid Countries Alliance.

This feels really half baked, like basically a ploy to station US subs in Australia and then gently caress around for a decade not delivering on a super expensive weapons program that we're going to dupe them into sharing costs on. I really wonder how mutual this all was and when/where it was cooked up.

You are making the flawed assumption about Aussies having actual sovereignty

Palladium has issued a correction as of 10:49 on Sep 16, 2021

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Ardennes posted:

Arguably, China still needs to expand its fleet if AUKUS actually is intending to try to cut their supply lines, but China’s economy is already so large they can do it that easily. The West couldn’t compete with them at all if they made an real effort.
That's what trains are for.

Ardennes posted:

Also the whole point of military spending is make the other guy waste a larger portion of their economy on dead weight than you do.

Isn't that just Reagan era cope?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Ardennes posted:

in retrospect the us outsourcing their entire electronics manufacturing capacity might not have been the best move ever, militarily speaking

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Stringent posted:

in retrospect the us outsourcing their entire electronics manufacturing capacity might not have been the best move ever, militarily speaking

The last made in Australia thing I saw that wasn't agri was a speedboat built in 2000

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
boy i wish my country wasn't an american vassal state!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Palladium posted:

You are making the flawed assumption about Aussies having actual sovereignty

yeah, we had a prime minister who spoke mandarin and wasn't an american sock puppet. wonder who was behind him getting removed from the leadership!!!

FrancisFukyomama posted:

they’re gonna do it by getting more racist to Chinese Australians

if i stop posting just assume i got killed in a hate crime.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

crepeface posted:

boy i wish my country wasn't an american vassal state!

have you tried voting about it?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
fyi if an australian ever espouses the superiority of our democracy because of our preferential voting system, just remind them we don't vote for our leaders and our recent leaders were absolute dogshit brains

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

AV isn't even a form of proportional representation anyway. It's about as good as FPTP, which is to say, dogshit

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i'm being told that we need to spend billions on submarines in case we get invaded by china by a foreskin activist

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

crepeface posted:

i'm being told that we need to spend billions on submarines in case we get invaded by china by a foreskin activist

its actually to protect your shipping lanes to china from chinese interference

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/DrMarkPBarry/status/1438307394212220929

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Palladium posted:

The last made in Australia thing I saw that wasn't agri was a speedboat built in 2000

Don't Aussie build those Ford Falcon Mad Max car anymore?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Those pesky orientals will never want to buy our products at market price but will instead try their hardest on questionable methods to get them which will be magnitudes more costly, because

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

its actually to protect your shipping lanes to china from chinese interference

when the abc was good less poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTCqXlDjx18