Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man
Mild-mannered Midlands Elite Dangerous YouTuber ObsidianAnt continues his occasional flirtation with Store Citizer with a look at The Future of Star Citizen - The Next Star Systems...

https://youtu.be/8zlWeY-eBNQ

Naysayers and proselytes do battle!

Angry guy posted:

How much money has been raised for this game? It STILL HASN'T COME OUT!

Patient but gullible backer posted:

Because they don't want to release an alpha version as a "finished game", as happened with Elite Dangerous Odyssey. On top of that, there has never been a game like this before. The technology alone takes time to develop

Impatient gamer who obviously doesn't understand game development posted:

What’s next for star citizen : how about they goddamn release the game already ffs

Probably CIG-Zyloh posted:

What's the point in just releasing a game, people specifically invested in this project because CIG is the only one willing to try, or do you know of a better project? Do tell!

Blimey. Scientology Store Citizer really is a cult isn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Blimey. Scientology Store Citizer really is a cult isn't it?

That's an unfair comparison and/or simile.

Cults generally have far clearer, more consistent and coherent and even (internally) rational belief systems, as well as a sharper moral and ethical bounds as far as how willing they are to abuse their adherents and opponents.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

There are few Youtubers who are thinking critically about Star Citizen. The peak this week was KiraTV recommending people buy into Star Citizen, while simultaneously trashing the latest space scam game.

I guess they are all nipples deep in JPEGs.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Gravity_Storm posted:

There are few Youtubers who are thinking critically about Star Citizen. The peak this week was KiraTV recommending people buy into Star Citizen, while simultaneously trashing the latest space scam game.

it's just the same wannabe "grassroots" marketing 3 or 4 weeks out from citcon

We've seen it every year

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Database wipe coming in the next patch: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/currency-hotfix-and-upcoming-wipes

I figure this is Turbulent transitioning away from the broken rear end poo poo CIG did over the last 8 years to their shiny new backend service. Pretty sure AWS is getting the boot next, so expect a player server cap bump (probably to 100 or 125)

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/SerpentineFatBangeltiger-mobile.mp4

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

TheAgent posted:

Database wipe coming in the next patch: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/currency-hotfix-and-upcoming-wipes

I figure this is Turbulent transitioning away from the broken rear end poo poo CIG did over the last 8 years to their shiny new backend service. Pretty sure AWS is getting the boot next, so expect a player server cap bump (probably to 100 or 125)

So this Aeuc currency is something that's only in game or are they saying people purchase this currency and they lost the receipt oh well, buy more?

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

I thought if you used Amazon's Lumberyard engine you have to use Amazon Web Services?

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kosumo posted:

I thought if you used Amazon's Lumberyard engine you have to use Amazon Web Services?

I thought so too, but maybe it's just CIG's keen legal minds smelling an opportunity again. After all, Amazon's attempts to break into game development haven't panned out too well, so maybe CIG is hoping Amazon just won't notice if they end up abandoning AWS for a cheaper option. Or maybe they'll draw on their expensive CryTek trial experience to tell Amazon "Actually, we, uh, 'switched back' to CryEngine last weekend, so we're not using Lumberyard anymore and don't have to honor any agreements we made with you."

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

The Titanic posted:

:3: No Mark... I don't like Luke. Be... your guy from star citizen!!! He was my all time hero for.. whatever he did!!

Mark: *stares off into distance Maya-render-ly*

Legend of Colton: Oldmancodpiece of Time

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Lumberyard died earlier this year and exists as a new open source project from Amazon with near zero official support (as Open 3D Engine -- no seriously, that's its new name, and lol it's all about the Linux). CIG never really used it anyway, since they've been on the same 3.7/3.8 branch forever, and used the grandfathered license to continue development without paying more to Crytek.

Besides you got a cost break using AWS, but it was never required. And boy howdy, Star Citizen AWS servers are expensive, even with that discount. Turbulent is probably building their own servers (software at least, with server farms or their own hardware).

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 16, 2021

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WearySentimentalDogwoodclubgall-mobile.mp4

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

Lumberyard died earlier this year and exists as a new open source project from Amazon with near zero official support (as Open 3D Engine -- no seriously, that's its new name, and lol it's all about the Linux). CIG never really used it anyway, since they've been on the same 3.7/3.8 branch forever, and used the grandfathered license to continue development without paying more to Crytek.

Besides you got a cost break using AWS, but it was never required. And boy howdy, Star Citizen AWS servers are expensive, even with that discount. Turbulent is probably building their own servers (software at least, with server farms or their own hardware).

I can't really imagine a world where Chris Roberts promises everything, takes years and deletes millions of dollars, produces nothing, then a third party comes in, takes the assets, and makes something of their own with them, leaving him an "original concept" participation trophy. It's too far-fetched.

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't really imagine a world where Chris Roberts promises everything, takes years and deletes millions of dollars, produces nothing, then a third party comes in, takes the assets, and makes something of their own with them, leaving him an "original concept" participation trophy. It's too far-fetched.

I'd laugh if it was Microsoft again

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Gravity_Storm posted:

I'd laugh if it was Microsoft again

No, This is Apples chance to dominate the gaming market!

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The recipe clearly says cat without collar.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

OH NO :stonk:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

TheAgent posted:

Why would moving away from AWS allow a player server cap bump?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Kosumo posted:

No, This is Apples chance to dominate the gaming market!

Epic Store and Playstation exclusives :eng101:

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

Why would moving away from AWS allow a player server cap bump?
New architecture off of AWS would mean higher tick rates and capacity at much lower costs. Hell they could have that now but its prohibitively expensive using AWS.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Gravity_Storm posted:

Citizen Con Predictions:

New timeline with wild promises!
Ship sales
Grabby hands tier 0
Something stolen from a better game and rebadged
Subtle digs at other lesser games
Signs of financial wastefulness - a giant statue of a Banu, some kind of real hoverbike etc
Console release for TOW
Pivot to Unreal 5

you forgot

Alien Ship Sales
Capital Ship Sales
More Ship Sales
No more fun for us (RIP ramp clip)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Jonny Shiloh posted:

Mild-mannered Midlands Elite Dangerous YouTuber ObsidianAnt continues his occasional flirtation with Store Citizer with a look at The Future of Star Citizen - The Next Star Systems...

https://youtu.be/8zlWeY-eBNQ

Naysayers and proselytes do battle!
Oh good, its that guy. Every time I hear Ant talk, it makes me feel like I need my ears bleached.
For someone who talks a lot, he sure dont have a voice for it.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TheAgent posted:

New architecture off of AWS would mean higher tick rates and capacity at much lower costs. Hell they could have that now but its prohibitively expensive using AWS.

i thought the reason they couldn't increase the player cap was because of their dumpster fire server code

since when has cost ever been a road block for Chris 'the backers will never know' Roberts?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Blue On Blue posted:

i thought the reason they couldn't increase the player cap was because of their dumpster fire server code

since when has cost ever been a road block for Chris 'the backers will never know' Roberts?

I mean, the dumpster code certainly helped, but it was also a matter of AWS not being suitable to being with. Even the Lumberyard (and associated game server service) FAQ itself said that the service was not suited for persistent MMO-style gameplay, and was instead more intended for discrete sessions like ye olde FPS deathmatch, with some attached scoring/unlocking/monetising scheme attached.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Blue On Blue posted:

Pretty sure if they decided to increase server performance and player count with AWS, they would be millions and millions per month in the red due to server costs, which means they would need more sales and more players, which means more costs, which eventually becomes a death spiral of ever increasing costs with no end in sight.

Leaving AWS for their own custom solution is really the only way they can increase capacity and performance without paying tons of money (which isn't going to their salaries or bonuses, it's going to Amazon).

And yeah, the code is terrible and has been with CryEngine forever, which means more server cpu cycles need to be committed to keep performance stable.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
Wow, 100-125 players... i'm definitely repenting now. Will eat the greens from that meme and buy 10 Idrissessss.

I'm sorry Christ Roberts...I promise to behave now.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Kosumo posted:

Even if they had been using Lumberyard, the terms of use allows developers to run their own internal servers, use AWS for hosting or for users to host their own private servers in most cases. They mostly just did not allow competing cloud services to be used for hosting Lumberyard games.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Gravity_Storm posted:

drat, KiraTV recommended Star Citizen?

His series on Chronicles of Elyria (a smaller crowdfunded MMO scam with fake titles/deeds instead of JPEGs) is great entertainment. I am surprised he pitched SC.

MostlyRandom
Nov 1, 2019

DreadUnknown posted:

Oh good, its that guy. Every time I hear Ant talk, it makes me feel like I need my ears bleached.
For someone who talks a lot, he sure dont have a voice for it.

his voice doesnt bother me much (there's not much he can do about it)
what annoys me is his constant on the fence stance with everything,
he's never critical of anything or anyone.

his vids are all just so middle of the road

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

quote:

Chris has been building a franchise, as much of a franchise as Star Trek or Star Wars. There is no end to the number of stories that can be told in this universe...and the difference between all the other franchises and Star Citizen is that each is not standalone, they can feed each other. They can have the 'alternate Empire timeline' on the Spectrum in the game or on your mobile. Jared confirmed what many of us have been saying for a very long time. Squadron 42 (there are 3 episodes planned) is basically one giant dynamic mission inside Star Citizen. That's only the navy pilots.. there's the army, the marines, outlaw factions, top tier elites in the society and all the tools and assets have been made already.

People often scoff at the design of these forums, and for good reason, but the Spectrum is far more. It is the in-lore in-verse multimedia streaming and communication service, and it will be multi-platform. Players can contribute content to the Spectrum. Spectrum is your window into the game when you are not playing it - you can watch the news. Any content they make could be streamed both in the game and outside of the game either free or as pay per view. You could be watching Star Medics on your PC or tablet on the Spectrum, or you can be watching while in QT on your ship in the game. The very first pay2view possible streaming service inside a game. They can have 'live' performances and guest appearances at locations/venues inside the game which are ticket events. That is a part of what FOiP and VOiP are about, not just silly karaoke videos. Remember they put an opera singer on the Gatsby? They can do that for any singer/band, they can do live performances in the game.

If they want to have a murder mystery/horror weekend aboard a Reclaimer or in a hotel in the game they can do that. This franchise is a 'jobbing-actors' dream come true. Endless paying work that doesn't require the punters to get dressed and order a taxi. Westworld, the Star Trek Holosuite are all do-able in Star Citizen. If they want a solar system that has a Wild West world, or World War 2 world, dragons and magic world - they can do it and you can pay to visit it - that's why Chris spends so much time on the details and the tools.

2 or 3 years ago a certain Corey Doctorow left a message on CIG's Twitter, he was asking how to get in touch with the 'creative team'. Jared gave him the info and we have no idea what the outcome was if any. If Corey Doctorow was claiming some legal challenge, he wouldn't have done it over Twitter would he? It makes you realise, Chris could invite or give the right to anyone to write for Star Citizen canon if he wished.

It was always Chris' dream to create a universe that players could live whole lives in, he originally pitched a game - but it was the community and it's response that made him realise that a whole universe is possible now, that is why Star Citizen is not comparable to Elite Dangerous or No Mans Sky. There are no plans to 'finish it', it will just keep growing, evolving, just like Star Trek or Star Wars. The tools have been/are being made - now it's just about pumping it all out. Star Citizen is the ultimate social media streamers game franchise, they will never run out of content, it will never be repetitive because the timeline always moves forward and it's not about grind, it's about peoples lives and events. The plan is that there will always be something happening somewhere, and that even before the players decide they are going have their little shenanigans.

People ask what the funding model will be when they stop selling ships, if they are asking that then they haven't spent a moment thinking about toy franchising. Lucas Arts made 75% of their revenue in licensing toys and supermarket branding, not cinema ticket or DVD sales, that's why Disney wanted Star Wars... and Star Trek has no opportunity to raise revenue inside the Star Trek universe, you are always a watcher never a participant. In the lore the Stanton system was sold to 4 corporations, there is no reason why CIG cannot sell in-game real estate to 'real world' corporations. One planet, millions of square kilometres to create content for. Red Bull Air racing, Formula 1 racing, Nascar Racing, power boat racing - it all happens on only one planet right now and if you ask EA to make your game, you don't get to buy an apartment across town and take a train to the track. You don't get to recruit your own 'real' race team'. You don't get to leave the planet and go somewhere else. You're stuck in a cars cockpit going around the same track and nothing else. Arena Commander, Star Marine and Theatres of War are all about CIG telling all those who pay attention, we can do anything you can do and maybe even better - and all we have to do is find the right partners.

So yes - Spectrum 'Netflix', but so much more. Chris and other CIG board members owned a movie production company together, it was relatively successful, they know about marketing and franchising. That's what the Calder's were brought on board for.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Some dreams.txt doofus posted:

If they want a solar system that has a Wild West world, or World War 2 world, dragons and magic world - they can do it and you can pay to visit it - that's why Chris spends so much time on the details and the tools.

Might want to check how long it takes them to make new systems there pal, we'll probably have Elite Dangerous 2: Elite Dangerouser before Turbulent have enough system-making bandwidth for a dedicated Westworld style star system lol

Was going to say CIG there but they've obviously decided dev work is too hard or something

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

skeletors_condom posted:

His series on Chronicles of Elyria (a smaller crowdfunded MMO scam with fake titles/deeds instead of JPEGs) is great entertainment. I am surprised he pitched SC.

P sure he was being sarcastic. Like "If you like this poo poo, I have a bridge to sell you..." while talking about another bad game.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Hmmmm yes this non-game with the most generic Sci-Fi aesthetic in existence mostly stolen from other universes will surely be raking in that Star Wars merch money. Can't wait to buy a bag head guy action figure or maybe a knock off Hello Kitty helmet.

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost

skeletors_condom posted:

It was in comparison to Star Atlas. Like, even Star Citizen is more of a game than this.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Ah, makes sense. Thanks.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Lando is out, supposedly soon

New devs are hiring their own guy

That's an lol

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
So wait. CI not G is no longer developing SC?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

So wait. CI not G is no longer developing SC?
It's been turbulent for awhile (among other 3rd parties), CIG is doing sq42

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I guess I should say "doing" lol