Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Weren't people in this very thread claiming that Line Of Duty was brave for showing bent coppers, when in reality it's some of the most blatant copaganda in years lol

I thought LoD was less about how 'bent coppers' are everywhere and more about how the entire institution is so reluctant to change that nothing ever happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Line of Duty is more about how institutional corruption is all pervasive, and that even if there are 'good' cops (all of whom are actually deeply flawed and lovely in many ways), their actions are utterly powerless in the face of the Establishment protecting its own.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

The Perfect Element posted:

Line of Duty is more about how institutional corruption is all pervasive, and that even if there are 'good' cops (all of whom are actually deeply flawed and lovely in many ways), their actions are utterly powerless in the face of the Establishment protecting its own.

A so basically the Asda Smartprice version of The Wire.

blues thief
Apr 1, 2013

sebzilla posted:

Any ideas why Marsha de Cordova and Charlotte Nichols have both resigned from the shadow cabinet in the past couple of days?

https://www.voice-online.co.uk/news/2021/09/16/labour-nothing-to-say-on-racial-justice/

quote:

Labour’s most senior black politician quit after falling out with Keir Starmer over race equality issues.

Well-placed sources told The Voice that Battersea MP Marsha de Cordova, who resigned as the party’s shadow equalities minister earlier this week, had grown increasingly frustrated with senior advisers to the party leader.
Friends say Starmer’s inner cabal sidelined her efforts to develop plans for a new law to tackle racial injustice.

De Cordova is the second black woman to step down as Labour’s shadow equalities minister after Dawn Butler’s resignation following Starmer’s election as leader last year.

Associates of the Battersea MP claim that the party failed to put her on a single ‘media round’ during 17 months in the job, and that she was offered just five minutes speaking time at Labour’s annual conference, which takes place next week.

Campaigners saw De Cordova as a highly effective politician after she dismantled the government’s Sewell report, and highlighted issues like the maternal mortality gap.

Sources said that efforts to set up a taskforce of experts to design progressive race equality policy were held back over concerns this might upset Red Wall voters, and that Starmer had resisted pleas to make a speech setting out his vision to black communities.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

which does actually bring up a good point - when was the last TV show (or popular media generally) where the police were the bad guys? I feel like it was around 1997 and I don't feel like that's a coincidence.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shadow_Line_(TV_series) ? :shrug:

Or lots of American stuff, The Wire comes to mind or The Shield.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

which does actually bring up a good point - when was the last TV show (or popular media generally) where the police were the bad guys? I feel like it was around 1997 and I don't feel like that's a coincidence.

The Shield.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

blues thief posted:

Sources said that efforts to set up a taskforce of experts to design progressive race equality policy were held back over concerns this might upset Red Wall voters, and that Starmer had resisted pleas to make a speech setting out his vision to black communities.

lol he's literally turning the racism dial and looking back for approval.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

ro5s posted:

lol he's literally turning the racism dial and looking back for approval.

Clearly a winning strategy when the current government are outright racists, and being pushed from the right by an even more racist party. If you're a racist in Britain you're already well catered why the gently caress would you vote for Labour.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

keep punching joe posted:

Clearly a winning strategy when the current government are outright racists, and being pushed from the right by an even more racist party. If you're a racist in Britain you're already well catered why the gently caress would you vote for Labour.

The poor and working class racist vote is a sizeable demographic. Which is of course why Keith is not offering them anything at all.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Pretty much any anti-institution TV show or movie ultimately boils down to "theres a few bad apples" but The Wire definitely gets the wider perspective.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

goddamnedtwisto posted:

2003 had the bent coppers in Early Doors who would turn up at the pub for free drinks offering to sell on stolen goods, and were always sort of vaguely threatening iirc

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Weren't people in this very thread claiming that Line Of Duty was brave for showing bent coppers, when in reality it's some of the most blatant copaganda in years lol

Not really? There's barely a handful of cops in the show that aren't scum (and even they're pretty dodgy in their own way) and the whole point is that the rot is far too embedded to fix.

The bent bastards at the top even use the 'few bad apples' defence. It's not subtle.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Sep 16, 2021

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

gabriel kent from the bill

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

homes under the hammer and sickle.
landlords under the hammer

a five minute motivational montage every day of lardlords heids being stoved in set to 'walking on sunshine'

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Okay! Weird that you all see my real face and real voice. If you see me in the street please don’t stairs me

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1aJtoJJo6m8&feature=youtu.be

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
the only good cop is taggart

(a dead cop).

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Jakabite posted:

Okay! Weird that you all see my real face and real voice. If you see me in the street please don’t stairs me

wtf you don't look anything like Graham Chapman

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

keep punching joe posted:

the only good cop is taggart Columbo
A cop who devotes his time to humiliating and arresting rich people.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

the sex ghost posted:

2003 had the bent coppers in Early Doors who would turn up at the pub for free drinks offering to sell on stolen goods, and were always sort of vaguely threatening iirc

Excellent show, need to watch that again.
Ideal had the cop friend who stole drugs to give to Moz to sell.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Jakabite posted:

How annoying is it to set up a camera, pretend to walk past it, and then go back to pick the camera up again?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Comrade Fakename posted:

How annoying is it to set up a camera, pretend to walk past it, and then go back to pick the camera up again?

The trick is to have 200 cameras....

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

Comrade Fakename posted:

While the novelty is still there, not that annoying. Once I’ve worked out the ins and outs of it all and it’s routine? I expect extremely annoying. You also look loving stupid which is the worst bit

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Jakabite posted:

One of my best mates is Romanian and me and a few others attended her wedding in Brasov like five years ago. Best holiday I ever had.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Ashes to Ashes was a poor followup to Life on Mars (I guess the second season corrected a little maybe). Gene Hunt's rant at the soft liberal lord about why he was going to poo poo all over PACE and that he should be thanked for being gammon-Dredd was a weird take on his established bastard-but-fair-dad role.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Any character who is well written and recieved in the first series will slowly become a caricature from the 2nd season onwards.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

There was that show between the lines with Tony Slattery in it in the 90s which was all about the police being a bunch of corrupt dicks.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
This all made me remember the thin blue line, perhaps the all time example of 'awful show with catchy theme tune'. Still find myself whistling it when I'm taking the bins out or other menial tasks

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

You actually look closer to your avatar than I imagined (I imagine all goons to look like either Sue Perkins or Robbie Coltrane, gender irrelevant, and am seldom proven wrong).

Wank-hat on though - really good camera work, nicely framed and edited, and you're not too hideous to be on screen or with a voice that sounds like a muppet being tortured to death, so you're already a million times better than the median Youtuber.

I'm interested to see where you go with this - personally I'd like to see a lot more footage of the trail itself and some commentary, even if it's "Hey that's a pretty flower, I have no idea what it is though" - like a conversational thing, as if you were walking along the trail with the viewer.

e: To finally make one end of a sentence match the other, Jesus I need some sleep

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 16, 2021

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(I imagine all goons to look like either Sue Perkins or Robbie Coltrane, gender irrelevant, and am seldom proven otherwise).

This is doxxing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Failed Imagineer posted:

This is doxxing

It's also really loving horrible grammar, I went back and edited it three times and still managed to come up with a linguistic cut-and-shut.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

the sex ghost posted:

This all made me remember the thin blue line, perhaps the all time example of 'awful show with catchy theme tune'. Still find myself whistling it when I'm taking the bins out or other menial tasks

The Brittas Empire just came into my mind for the first time in 20 years, that endlessly crying woman specifically.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

the sex ghost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMudn717oY

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

the sex ghost posted:

Yeah, nice tune.
But one of those comedies that drew in the numbers to watch it, but won't stand the test of time and is more cringe as time goes on.

UK comedies have the best theme tunes.
Bottom is probably my favorite.

happyhippy fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Sep 16, 2021

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You actually look closer to your avatar than I imagined (I imagine all goons to look like either Sue Perkins or Robbie Coltrane, gender irrelevant, and am seldom proven wrong).

Wank-hat on though - really good camera work, nicely framed and edited, and you're not too hideous to be on screen or with a voice that sounds like a muppet being tortured to death, so you're already a million times better than the median Youtuber.

I'm interested to see where you go with this - personally I'd like to see a lot more footage of the trail itself and some commentary, even if it's "Hey that's a pretty flower, I have no idea what it is though" - like a conversational thing, as if you were walking along the trail with the viewer.

e: To finally make one end of a sentence match the other, Jesus I need some sleep

I genuinely do look like Sue Perkins if she was an alcoholic, so F U you psychic bastard

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Ash Sarkar posted a link to that Rod Liddle piece where he talks about not wanting to be a teacher because he wouldn't be able to stop loving the kids. Someone responded with this Guardian article by him which has an all-time insane opening sentence:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2003/jan/14/childprotection.rodliddle

:kstare:

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thanks dude, really appreciate this! There were a couple of instances of seeing cool wildlife (just squirrels and butterflies really) but with a GoPro it feels impossible to get a good shot of anything far away - I’m still experimenting, so I’m not sure if that’s just because the screen is TINY or the lack of zoom really is that much of a hindrance even at high resolution. I don’t really want to get into digital zooming - everything I’ve read says that if you’re actually going to get good, you should avoid it like the plague.

I’m looking to do more stuff that features other people. In truth, that’s what really interests me. It’s hard to know where the line is - it can feel rude to just be like yo can I film you. I think you just have to do it though. There’s a guy here who goes round and dances to tunes from an old Walkman for/at people at outdoor seating. I’m not even sure if it’s for money, I’ve never seen him ask. So I think tonight I might try and find him and ask if he minds if I film him doing his thing and people’s reactions. Stuff like that is what I really want to do.

In the longer term I’m looking at making some short documentaries (and eventually long ones I suppose). I met a Romani guy who’d just done a 14 year stretch for a crime he wouldn’t disclose to me at a party a week ago, and we got quite hosed up together and he was a pretty interesting guy. Also was deeply hurt when I said I’d walked in and immediately thought ‘loving hell that guy is massive and quite scary’. I mentioned my new career to him and he said he might be down to work together, so I’m hoping my first proper work is a sort of short participatory ethnography into Romani people in Transylvania - the racism against them here is just as bad if not worse than the U.K., so it would be nice to show people the other side. (Shock: people are just people and probably some are assholes and some are cool, who knew)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Necrothatcher posted:

Ash Sarkar posted a link to that Rod Liddle piece where he talks about not wanting to be a teacher because he wouldn't be able to stop loving the kids. Someone responded with this Guardian article by him which has an all-time insane opening sentence:
I've seen it before but still

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Necrothatcher posted:

At least something was

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Necrothatcher posted:

He wouldnt even want to look at his own article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
He stumbles upon a valid point that during paedogeddon there was a big confusion about what exactly the law was supposed to be doing wrt child protection, and a bit like how we can't ever agree whether prison should be for segregation, rehabilitation, or punishment, so it ends up being poo poo at all of them, we can't agree on how best to minimize the actual harm and exploitation of children and so end up lashing out in wild directions, but there must be a thousand better ways to say that while sounding like less of a nonce.