Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This is the first time I've seen that here but if it's a reoccuring thing and I've just missed it then I agree.
directors commentary for my post: i was definitely intentionally making the joke that everyone makes anytime anyone mentions touhou in this thread, because it makes everyone really mad

*points to michael richards apology vid* in this one i wanted to find a clip of someone saying touhou in a really funny way so i typed "touhous" into youtube and it was in the first 5 seconds of the first clip i clicked on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Not that this particularly matters, but ZUN's official stance on romance is "I'm not into romance so I won't write it, but you can do whatever you want."

A lot of the official comics are drawn by women who like gay shipping though. Personally I would say that Touhou and the community around it is very gay.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Sep 16, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Not that this particularly matters, but ZUN's official stance on romance is "I hate writing romance so I won't write it, but you can do whatever you want."

yeah a lot of people also try to spin it as him having something specifically against gay romance but thats not remotely true. sure are a lot of fake quotes relating to it floating around tho! noted terrible parody site animemaru has much to answer for.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

How much has ZUN actually written for the series outside of the relatively brief in-game banter?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How much has ZUN actually written for the series outside of the relatively brief in-game banter?

A lot. He writes most of the official manga and all the big databooks, short stories, etc. Well, unless he's hiring a ghostwriter or something, but he's listed as the sole writer for all the books.

Technically writing Touhou is his day job while he makes the games in his spare time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Irony Be My Shield posted:

all the profiles and backstory text with the games, the stories that come with the various CDs, the curiosities of lotus asia series of short stories, most of the manga are written by him, and a lot of guidebooks with world information and extended character bios that also include multiple short stories

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Endorph posted:

zun did not say anything like this, that quote is fake op

Clarste posted:

Not that this particularly matters, but ZUN's official stance on romance is "I'm not into romance so I won't write it, but you can do whatever you want."

A lot of the official comics are drawn by women who like gay shipping though. Personally I would say that Touhou and the community around it is very gay.

Thanks for the clarification.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

All the touhous are gay and the ones that aren't are ace.

And I mean that genuinely.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

kourin x marisa's dad otp

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

iirc What Zun said is that male youkai exist offscreen the games. We have examples of that with Rinnosuke, generic oni and that fortune-teller-slash-wraith that Reimu killed on WaHH. Not that every character has a boyfriend offscreen, duh.

Ultimately Touhou is about cute girls doing cute things and also occasionally do hosed up stuff, so no poo poo it has a wlw fandom.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also namazu, the boss of the tengu (tenma iirc?), uhhhh Trump King. unzan. youmus dad. male characters arent exactly hidden from sight in touhou or anything the story just never really puts them into the spotlight, a lot exist as incidental characters or background details.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I'm going to also say that even if you view the entire cast as gay, the meme that no men exist because of it is weird as hell and has worse implications than just saying the girls are gay...No one does that here but it's a fail popular meme imo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I'm going to also say that even if you view the entire cast as gay, the meme that no men exist because of it is weird as hell and has worse implications than just saying the girls are gay...No one does that here but it's a fail popular meme imo.
it not only has weird implications, its not lore accurate!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

the boss of the tengu (tenma iirc?),

Tenma is referred to several times, but their gender is still unknown.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Clarste posted:

Tenma is referred to several times, but their gender is still unknown.

oh, i usually see western fanbase use male pronouns for them so i just assumed it was confirmed somewhere.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

There are plenty of guys in the comics. Usually as random villagers that will maybe have a bit role in a chapter but stilll the whole "there's no dudes in Touhou" thing hasn't really meant anything in ages.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The two old guys at the bar are pretty much recurring characters now in the latest official comic. They don't have names, but you see them almost every chapter.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also Reimu's turtle.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

directors commentary for my post: i was definitely intentionally making the joke that everyone makes anytime anyone mentions touhou in this thread, because it makes everyone really mad

*points to michael richards apology vid* in this one i wanted to find a clip of someone saying touhou in a really funny way so i typed "touhous" into youtube and it was in the first 5 seconds of the first clip i clicked on

oh so that's why you used a random clip of vinny from vinesauce

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

i only vaguely know who that is

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

a vtuber

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Clarste posted:

I'm sorry, I just wanted to make fun of that guy I knew with a car fetish.

my day was brighter for hearing that anecdote

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

homeless snail posted:

i only vaguely know who that is

yes, that is why i am saying that you pulling it at random explains why it was used!

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
afro samurai whips rear end

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
With Netflix getting more anime and releasing multiple audio tracks for each new show is there a chance they'd go back to get streaming rights to older dubs? I remember when they got the first season of One Punch Man and they had the dub for maybe two weeks before they took it off due to terrible audio sync issues and it never came back. I do prefer the original audio for OPM because Genos doesn't sound like a knuckle dragger but I always like having options.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

yakumo ran is my wife

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

No one does that here but it's a fail popular meme imo.

Thats the life cycle of a lot of memes, it starts off as a joke that's somewhat accurate and then is run into the ground by people who don't get it and take it as truth.

homeless snail posted:

This is brand infringement

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 16, 2021

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mima

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyX6akEAE1s

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

yokey mountain

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The World Ends With You anime is getting a dub. However, it appears that only one of the game VAs will be reprising their role for it:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-16/funimation-announces-the-world-ends-with-you-anime-english-dub-cast/.177434

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Larryb posted:

The World Ends With You anime is getting a dub. However, it appears that only one of the game VAs will be reprising their role for it:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-16/funimation-announces-the-world-ends-with-you-anime-english-dub-cast/.177434

weren't they able to get most of the cast back for kingdom hearts dream drop distance

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Willo567 posted:

weren't they able to get most of the cast back for kingdom hearts dream drop distance

Everybody except Rhyme, yeah

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
It’s probably a regional voice actor thing thing but tbh it doesn’t matter a huge amount, iirc they got everyone that appears in both back for the sequel and only like three characters sound the same cause it’s been so long (which mostly works in context but still).

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

It’s probably a regional voice actor thing thing but tbh it doesn’t matter a huge amount, iirc they got everyone that appears in both back for the sequel and only like three characters sound the same cause it’s been so long (which mostly works in context but still).

Though even in the sequel Rhyme was still played by her DDD actress (in both English and Japanese for that matter), not sure what happened with her original VA (especially since said previous VA was still in the sequel playing Uzuki).

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

This is such a weird thing to bother with. It's not like a second season is it?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Acerbatus posted:

This is such a weird thing to bother with. It's not like a second season is it?

No, it’s just an English dub of the TWEWY anime that aired a few months back as I said.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they dub anime a while after it broadcast all the time

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

they dub anime a while after it broadcast all the time

I guess it's not that expensive, but I figured they'd mostly do that for stuff that's popular. At least more so than how I'd imagine a so-so adaptation of a moderately popular game did.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

they dub stuff basically as an investment, since it widens the audience in terms of who will buy discs