Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Zurtilik posted:

Honestly, even if it 'plateaued' right now is that really where we want to be?

Yeah, 2,700 people a day are dying and the ICUs are full to bursting in many states. Seems sustainable!

yes it's fine open biden

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/MJ__Mondejar/status/1438371621337583616

SMFH your stupid loving GOP congressmen won't even do this

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

Also, even if the US wanted to do a real deal China like lock-down who is enforcing that?
Why are you even asking this in 2021? There is no way the US would ever do that. We could get a COVID variant that's as bad as ebola and we still wouldn't do that at this point.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
It's not that I think we would in any real world. But I just mean, even if we wanted to. Like, we couldn't do it right?

mystes
May 31, 2006

Zurtilik posted:

It's not that I think we would in any real world. But I just mean, even if we wanted to. Like, we couldn't do it right?
IIRC the government literally forces quarantines for stuff like that currently for tuberculosis or something, so it does actually have the power to do that, but it's not something most people are aware of or think about. However, it's politically impossible to do that for COVID and any attempt to do so right now would be guaranteed to have the opposite effect of the country deciding that the government can't do mandatory quarantines for other diseases either. And that's just forced quarantines for people who have it, not citywide forced lockdowns.

mystes fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Sep 16, 2021

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

My metro area of like ~700,000 people has 26 ICU beds available right now.

Get 'em while they're hot!

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

lmao at reporters covering people filing something

mystes
May 31, 2006

euphronius posted:

lmao at reporters covering people filing something
I hope they cover me filing my teeth to points in preparation for our mad max future.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

If an Oklahoma City Bombing/9/11 type event were to occur in say... Atlanta right now everyone would just die. There's no spare room for a disaster. Why are we still just chilling like everything is managable?

Help, I want off Mr. Bones Wild ride!

Zurtilik fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 16, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

Why are you even asking this in 2021? There is no way the US would ever do that. We could get a COVID variant that's as bad as ebola and we still wouldn't do that at this point.

tbh a COVID variant that resembles Ebola would at least make it easy to identify people who are symptomatic

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Lastgirl posted:

J. Robert Oppenheimer voice:] I have become superspreader, destroyer of number

I read that in a Alan Oppenheimer voice

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Atlanta has already been bombed by chuds

and the chud who did it like just hung out for awhile with people

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I told you that Australian thing yesterday would be nothing

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

euphronius posted:

I told you that Australian thing yesterday would be nothing

Mr. Man Down Under!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Asproigerosis posted:

The tiered rollout was the dumbest most destructive poo poo and anyone in health care could have told you only half the country is going to get it and you don't need to worry about people stampeding to get the vaxx.

95% of the focus went on putting vaccine clinics where they weren't wanted, rural or urban, and then blaming and trying to guilt trip people who traveled to them because their own area had nothing

Hy_C
Apr 1, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

The tiered rollout was the dumbest most destructive poo poo and anyone in health care could have told you only half the country is going to get it and you don't need to worry about people stampeding to get the vaxx.

I bet they’ll do tiered booster rollouts too.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

Zurtilik posted:

Yeah, 2,700 people a day are dying and the ICUs are full to bursting in many states. Seems sustainable!

it's like with health insurance, most people don't even go to the doctor when they're sick so who even needs a medical system

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Yea not sure if its fully plateaued as areas keep getting fulled up, less hospitals reporting data, and Nebraska not even bothering to report.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

Plateauing means it is time for all remote workers to return to office, as they are all bummed out and miss their co workers, the relaxing commute, and pride in dressing up

kater
Nov 16, 2010

lmao what if they are using distribution data to give county %s instead of the jab database

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/16/us/florida-vaccine-advocate-family-member-deaths/index.html

drat

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

mystes posted:

Where are you getting this?

my crack pinged brain

if I were to write a dystopian novel about this poo poo, that is what would have happen

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
I mean if Alaska has no more hospital beds, where could they take people? The nearest states in the PNW are getting full up too .

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

ELASTOCHAT: I switched to the little p100 boxes with the purple stickers on them from the big yellow/magenta guys a while back, and it seems like nobody says a word about my mask anymore. I think a lot of that is just an instinctual “if you were smart you’d be doing the same thing” response in the context of delta, but I think most of it is just that everything is just smaller and sort of neutral colors now. When I say nobody is saying anything, I’m including three crazies I dealt with tonight.

One was a guy who was extremely mad at me that I wouldn’t do a my cash I didn’t have for his EBT deal that he was following me around the store about, he screamed at and about me for a while both in and out front of the 711. One was a perilously drunk lady that I felt the need to buy a cab home for because she was not capable of walking in a direction on her own, and she seemed pretty stoked that I wasn’t trying to sexually assault her. One was a homeless insane woman who threatened my life a couple times before eventually settling on recommending ways for me to kill myself and loving off. All three had a lot to say about me, all three were staring me straight in the respirator, and nobody mentioned it even once. Based on this, I recommend the 3M 7500 with the 7093s as the “keepin it real” respirator configuration for the guy or lady about town who doesn’t want to hear about it.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

In the midst of her grief, Wilson has not stopped trying to convince others to get vaccinated. "My family is going through a hard time, and I wouldn't wish that on any family member anywhere," she said. "If my family was vaccinated, they would be here today." Wilson explained that fear and misinformation were big factors in why her family members refused to be vaccinated. "They were just scared," she said. "Everything was new, and they were just scared."

600 thousand to a million people dead? Not scary.

Vaccine which protects you against dying like those 600 thousand people? terrifying.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

it’s hard to put myself in the position of a poc in American and say what they should or should not do

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

euphronius posted:

it’s hard to put myself in the position of a poc in American and say what they should or should not do

I work at a HBCU in the dc metro area and it has been tough even for mostly POC admins to reach out to large swathes of students, faculty, staff, etc, we're at the point now where we're like "gently caress it, we can't drop em all, just straight up pay them to get it"

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Real Mean Queen posted:

[COVID-19] All three were staring me straight in the respirator, and nobody mentioned it even once.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

empty whippet box posted:

600 thousand to a million people dead? Not scary.

Vaccine which protects you against dying like those 600 thousand people? terrifying.

many people think covid will give them a minor cold that they can shrug off. the people that are hospitalized and dead are old/weak/fat/bad/not real

mystes
May 31, 2006

Good soup! posted:

we're at the point now where we're like "gently caress it, we can't drop em all, just straight up pay them to get it"
If that works then good

gently caress it pay everyone in the country $5000 to get vaccinated

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1438452415888568325

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Zurtilik posted:

The numbers on the Worldometer covid tracker and the numbers that come in from that BNO Newsroom twitter are worlds apart, anyone know why the differences are so huge?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The numbers on the Worldometer covid tracker and the numbers that come in from that BNO Newsroom twitter are worlds apart, anyone know why the differences are so huge?

Worldometers backfills. It's the main reliable source now because bno and 91-divoc (pulling from Hopkins) accept the giant spikes

Teenage Riot
May 25, 2010

it’s why on the active day Worldometers only shows Florida having like 7 deaths

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

sure why not

mystes
May 31, 2006

Snuffles the antivax clown

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

There's something special about the British conservative brainworms that are the result of a millennia of inbreeding and cow canniablism that you just don't find in American conservative circles

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I heard from some family in Mass that schools aren’t quarantining kids or classrooms if a positive case shows up. They send the COVID kid home but class keeps on going in-person.

That’s a big “if” the kid pops positive because many parents send their kids to school knowing their sick or won’t or can’t test. So there’s no idea really who’s sick or not unless they have obvious symptoms.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Glumwheels posted:

I heard from some family in Mass that schools aren’t quarantining kids or classrooms if a positive case shows up. They send the COVID kid home but class keeps on going in-person.

That’s a big “if” the kid pops positive because many parents send their kids to school knowing their sick or won’t or can’t test. So there’s no idea really who’s sick or not unless they have obvious symptoms.

Yeah here they don't count anyone masked as an exposure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao