Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

if i stop posting just assume i got killed in a hate crime.

Change your last name to "Nguyen" or sth and put the Australian equivalent of Budweiser decal on your car. That's my plan when poo poo hits the fan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

stephenthinkpad posted:

Change your last name to "Nguyen" or sth and put the Australian equivalent of Budweiser decal on your car. That's my plan when poo poo hits the fan.

lol you think some sunburnt hotdog neck would make the distinction?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Tell them you're a frisky dingo OP.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Shave your head, hang a Gadsden flag in front of your house, put a Molon Labe sticker on your car, yell TRUMP!!! a lot, post MAGA memes on Facebook

Uhhhhh where was I going with this

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

gradenko_2000 posted:

Shave your head, hang a Gadsden flag in front of your house, put a Molon Labe sticker on your car, yell TRUMP!!! a lot, post MAGA memes on Facebook

Uhhhhh where was I going with this

Get a cowboy hat and some revolvers and become the Yosemite Sam of Australia.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Can someone point out to me why the gently caress this US/UK/AUS defense pact even a thing and why is it even necessary since there’s already NATO and Since everyone knows that Australia and the UK are the left and right Testicles of the American empire so it really goes without saying that they’re already in a military alliance.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

Can someone point out to me why the gently caress this US/UK/AUS defense pact even a thing and why is it even necessary since there’s already NATO and Since everyone knows that Australia and the UK are the left and right Testicles of the American empire so it really goes without saying that they’re already in a military alliance.

Maybe they really did just want to stick it to France

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Al-Saqr posted:

Australia technically is not a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization

you're right that there are already extant treaties/alliances/whatevers that should have done the job of covering a US-UK-AUS alliance, but I guess they wanted to twist the knife further?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

I wasn't aware of the detail yesterday. But this Aukus event is 100% Biden's cover of stealing Au's 12 submarine contract from the French and they just drag Boris along to make it bigger than it is. The US also doesn't have any conventional sub tech anymore so they have to use the nuclear powered tech.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

gradenko_2000 posted:

Australia technically is not a member of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization

you're right that there are already extant treaties/alliances/whatevers that should have done the job of covering a US-UK-AUS alliance, but I guess they wanted to twist the knife further?

So is Australia going to keep selling coal to china if so then they’ve pretty much done nothing new. Everyone knows the English speaking world is in a de-facto alliance so what’s the difference.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Al-Saqr posted:

So is Australia going to keep selling coal to china if so then they’ve pretty much done nothing new. Everyone knows the English speaking world is in a de-facto alliance so what’s the difference.

lol about that...

https://twitter.com/Eazzayyy/status/1402400477942358019?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

AMEERRIIICCAAAA gently caress YEAAAAA

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

For real man, believe me. I have an uncle who works at America

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Al-Saqr posted:

AMEERRIIICCAAAA gently caress YEAAAAA

Sometimes I stumble across Australian media and it's just the strangest thing in the world, like just wall to wall stuff about how we're bringing China to her knees by.....uh...not selling them wine or iron ore which they stopped buying on their own because we were being shitheads?

Australia's economy is like half the size of Italy. The average Chinese on the street if you asked them about this would probably respond "what is an 'Australia'?"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Lobster and red wine, critical daily necessities Chinese can't live without

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Throatwarbler posted:

Sometimes I stumble across Australian media and it's just the strangest thing in the world, like just wall to wall stuff about how we're bringing China to her knees by.....uh...not selling them wine or iron ore which they stopped buying on their own because we were being shitheads?

Australia's economy is like half the size of Italy. The average Chinese on the street if you asked them about this would probably respond "what is an 'Australia'?"

I believe it. Every Australian think tank I come across on youtube sound extremely lopsided, way worse than American think tanks.

* not counting Kevin Rudd who hosed off to Asia Society.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
NZ for sure appreciates their big chud western neighbor being one of the dumbest collective motherfuckers on earth though

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/AFP/status/1438327684375867394

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

tired: zombies on korean trains

wired:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ColinZwirko/status/1438247392902483968

nukes on korean trains

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Ghost Leviathan posted:

China takes over the world just by waiting for everyone else to stab themselves and each other in the balls to death in the name of capitalism.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6PxRwgjzZw

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Missile train owns

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Some Guy TT posted:

wired:

nukes on korean trains

that can't be right. yeonmi park told me they have one train everyone has to get out and push

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Stringent posted:

in retrospect the us outsourcing their entire electronics manufacturing capacity might not have been the best move ever, militarily speaking

I do wonder why that happened. I know little about the period, but wasn't that around the time the US hosed over Japan with the Plaza accords?

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

R. Guyovich posted:

that can't be right. yeonmi park told me they have one train everyone has to get out and push

Obviously they only have one train because all the other trains are missile trains.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

wired:

nukes on korean trains

Learning that the north korean everyman smokes weed (that just grows wild all over the place) just shattered my conceptions of this county. Remember how just about everyone on the forums was of the consensus that north korea couldn't build a nuke, and if they could, they would never be able to fit it in a missile?

lol. lmao

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Taiwan said they are increasing their military budget by 500%

And the rest of the ghouls in America are jumping in.
https://twitter.com/FirstSquawk/status/1438502504308695041?s=19

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

genericnick posted:

I do wonder why that happened. I know little about the period, but wasn't that around the time the US hosed over Japan with the Plaza accords?

US expended or moved the appliance industry in Japan in order to include Japan as part of her own greater ecosystem and also use their cheap labor. The US also take up so much of the Japanese export market they had huge influence on Japan. When Japan became uppity the US can easily move the industries to other sidekick countries (i.e. moving the semi conductor industries to SK and Taiwan)

However once you build up the an industry in East Asia, its easy to transfer the know-how from one East Asian country to another (this is my personal theory and observation) And when China become a leading manufacturer of a particular industry, they don't rely on the US market so much and aren't beholden to them.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 15:15 on Sep 16, 2021

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

amazing, incredibly amazing

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Some Guy TT posted:

wired:

nukes on korean trains

was it us or the soviets that also put ICBMs on armored trains

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

was it us or the soviets that also put ICBMs on armored trains

the USSR's RT-23 Molodets (NATO: SS-24 Scalpel) was the rail-based ICBM

relatedly, the RT-2PM Topol (NATO: SS-25 Sickle) was a road-mobile ICBM

the US tried to develop the "Peacekeeper Rail Garrison" system for Minuteman ICBMs and it looks like it got past the testing stage but was never fully deployed

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

GoLambo posted:

Learning that the north korean everyman smokes weed (that just grows wild all over the place) just shattered my conceptions of this county.

that’s interesting, is it legal there or a “well it’s not legal but everyone does it so w/e” type deal

e:

Mr Hootington posted:

Taiwan said they are increasing their military budget by 500%

that seems loving insane why would the electorate put up with that

indigi has issued a correction as of 16:21 on Sep 16, 2021

CaptainACAB
Sep 14, 2021

by Jeffrey of Langley

stephenthinkpad posted:

Don't Aussie build those Ford Falcon Mad Max car anymore?

No both Ford and Holden shut their plants down.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

the USSR's RT-23 Molodets (NATO: SS-24 Scalpel) was the rail-based ICBM

relatedly, the RT-2PM Topol (NATO: SS-25 Sickle) was a road-mobile ICBM

the US tried to develop the "Peacekeeper Rail Garrison" system for Minuteman ICBMs and it looks like it got past the testing stage but was never fully deployed

Guess you'd have to figure out whether trains belong to the airforce or the navy first.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

With the Afghanistan mess you'd think that countries would be a bit more skittish in getting our hardware since we can just stop providing you parts and whoops suddenly you cant maintain your white elephants anymore and they will all be out of commission since companies build poo poo to break every year.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

the MIC grift always gets through

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

indigi posted:

that seems loving insane why would the electorate put up with that

I believe Mr. Hootington is posting hyperbole.

Taiwan spends $13 billion a year on its military and announced they will spend an additional $8.7 billion over the next five years. I can't find anything about a 500% increase.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4288910

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

OhFunny posted:

I believe Mr. Hootington is posting hyperbole.

Taiwan spends $13 billion a year on its military and announced they will spend an additional $8.7 billion over the next five years. I can't find anything about a 500% increase.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4288910

I mistyped 50%! Still an insane number! Sorry!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

mearsheimer is a weirdo because his whole approach is to explain all the ruthless stuff that the U.S. is going to do to grind your country into bonemeal, and then when called on it, says "i'm not saying that's good, i'm just saying that's what's going to happen, i'm just a structuralist!" it's very strange.

he's the doctor telling you that you have cancer, except the cancer is that the US is interested in you