Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Casimir Radon posted:

The Thing steelbook is showing sold out at the few Best Buys I’ve checked. Probably missed this one.

I’m sure it was BB I was reading about the other day (I don’t *think* it was this thread, but not impossible) saying they always get a 2nd drop like a week or so later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like Star Wars it’s pretty normal to want the best version of the films to exist.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Like, the movies? Because they’re good and worth watching and owning?

If you get the ultimate collector's set you're getting the Hobbit trilogy too, so if you want to edit this post you still have the chance to, we'll completely understand

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

CelticPredator posted:

Like Star Wars it’s pretty normal to want the best version of the films to exist.

I'm not even talking about the movies themselves. Just the ungodly amount of special features associated with the Lord of the Rings movies. Do they keep making more? If not then surely the kind of diehards who'd buy a very expensive box set have already seen all that stuff. If they are then what could they possibly tell you that you wouldn't already know? Every single aspect of those films creation is so meticulously documented that I just can't see why anyone would want more. Who even has time to watch all that poo poo in the first place?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Then don’t watch them.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CPL593H posted:

I'm not even talking about the movies themselves. Just the ungodly amount of special features associated with the Lord of the Rings movies. Do they keep making more? If not then surely the kind of diehards who'd buy a very expensive box set have already seen all that stuff. If they are then what could they possibly tell you that you wouldn't already know? Every single aspect of those films creation is so meticulously documented that I just can't see why anyone would want more. Who even has time to watch all that poo poo in the first place?
The thing is I want to have the Best Possible Version in one box, and the new 4K "ultimate" set apparently completely scraps all of the endless hours of special features that came with the DVD (and subsequently bluray) sets. I don't need new stuff, but I'd like to keep the old stuff.

Like it's bizarre that the "ultimate" set wastes time including the movies on bluray at all - if you're buying it on 4K that's the format you're going to watch it in, no? Why not free up that disc space and include the supplementals and stuff, it seems like that would make more sense.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

CPL593H posted:

Lord of the Rings more like BORED of the Rings.

Liking the movies is whatever, I've just never understood why LOTR fans in particular like having hours and hours and hours of bonus material about the films. How much could there be possibly left to say? Those movies have been reissued on so many different editions over the last 20 years.

Where else will you be once again reminded that Viggo broke his foot kicking the helmet and they all have tattoos of the elvish word for nine?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I mean if you're interested in how movies get made there is a lot of neat stuff there. The movies were a massive conceptual and logistical undertaking and how they worked things out is fascinating- there's animatics of an alternate opening to Fellowship which spends way longer setting up the world, tests they did in the unfinished Hobbiton sets to show how the forced perspective was gonna work, and my favorite bit is where you can cycle through all the various angles and elements shot for the Council of Elrond scene. Like... that poo poo's neat, dunno what to tell ya. (And the stuff on The Two Towers makes it clear how much effort had to go into cutting together something like a coherent middle chapter AND keeping it a reasonable length in theaters.)

Always struck me weird that there were never any deleted scenes in any release, though. Like I'm pretty sure there was stuff they shot and didn't use even in the EEs but it never made any of the discs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Maxwell Lord posted:

Always struck me weird that there were never any deleted scenes in any release, though. Like I'm pretty sure there was stuff they shot and didn't use even in the EEs but it never made any of the discs.

I'm pretty sure I heard somehere that there's enough footage that they could make a 6 hour cut of each movie

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The LOTR behind the scenes docs are an unusual situation because they almost have like, their own nostalgia that's separate from the movies themselves. Those extended edition DVDs were a big deal and all the behind the scenes stuff was pretty unique at the time, a lot of people have just as many fond memories of watching those documentaries as they do the films. So if you say "Ultimate Edition", I'd assume that stuff is included because I consider it to be an essential part of the total package.

That said, if you feel the way I do about those documentaries then you probably already own them in another format so it's not that big a deal.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I do think it’s weird that they would include Blu-Ray copies but not the special features stuff. I don’t really understand the thinking behind that one.

For that matter I don’t entirely understand why so many UHDs still come with BR copies. Surely the studios could save a few cents per copy by not including a BR. I could see it at the early stage of the format, but now? Anybody still buying physical media probably knows exactly what they’re doing.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

david_a posted:

I do think it’s weird that they would include Blu-Ray copies but not the special features stuff. I don’t really understand the thinking behind that one.

For that matter I don’t entirely understand why so many UHDs still come with BR copies. Surely the studios could save a few cents per copy by not including a BR. I could see it at the early stage of the format, but now? Anybody still buying physical media probably knows exactly what they’re doing.

Hard disagree. As a family guy I find the included Bluray to be pretty good and useful. The last-gen consoles are pulling Other Room TV duty in a lot of people's homes, and most of those only play Bluray.

Homeybeef
May 23, 2008
Yeah it's really the Blu-Rays that still come with DVDs that seem strange.

Also the fact that new movies are still being released on DVD.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I live in the sticks and work in a library, most of the people coming in only have DVD players, and if they can afford blu-ray or UHD then they probably also have subscriptions to every streaming service. There are millions and millions of people that live outside of major cities, even if some us wish we didn't sometimes.

I also occasionally donate the DVD half of my new blu-rays to my library :shrug:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

When I upgrade I just put the old ones at my mom’s house.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

david_a posted:

I'm guessing that the BR copies are for the special features since you never see them on the UHD disc.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I hate when they split the special features to one of the discs, it means you're stuck with both discs.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

On The House With a Clock In Its Walls UHD there are some special features, but they’re all replicated in the BR disc, which has more extras still.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

david_a posted:

For a time I had only a DVD player but started buying bluray/dvd combos because I knew I was going to upgrade soon-ish, and some of those combos I knew I'd rather have it on bluray; and now I'm in the same position, I have a bluray player only but I'm considering buying some of the 4kUHD/bluray combos for movies I know I'd like to have in higher quality when I get around to upgrading. Only select DVD movies I rebought on bluray and the same will go for 4K UHD, so the combo packs are very convenient.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
I got lots of bootleg discs from showa video, guy does good work putting together the best versions of classic Japanese fantasy/sf for collectors

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/nibiru_TRUTH/status/1437425283376746499?s=19

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I posted this in the Plex thread but didn't get any reply and thought perhaps you all might have an idea...

I've ripped my entire DVD & Blu-ray collection (400+ discs) with the exception of one movie -- an old DVD of Quiz Show. It plays fine in my DVD player but having tried it in a total of three different computer drives, it is never recognized as a valid disc. Some searching online suggested it's some kind of copy protection measure. Does that seem plausible? It's annoying because as I said it's the only disc that I've had this trouble with.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Could you try a Linux VM to rip it?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think people were concerned about it, but Mad Max 2 & 3 will be getting standalone UHDs.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I saw that, definitely happy about it because I really only need Road Warrior and then maybe down the line I'll decide to pick up the others but it doesn't feel like a necessity. Especially with how much good stuff is coming out in the next 3-4 months.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Apocalypse Now 4k UHD is $15 on Amazon right now.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Franchescanado posted:

Apocalypse Now 4k UHD is $15 on Amazon right now.

Good looking Steelbook is gonna be available for $19.99 as well, it’s a pre-order.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
That's probably a reference level UHD that doesn't get brought up enough. I'd seen the movie two or three times before but the UHD was just stunning.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Shawshank looks amazing in 4k and I'm very glad I picked it up - it's a shame the steelbook art is so bad though. I'm glad I didn't get that version as the regular version's slipcover is nice.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Orange Carlisle posted:

Shawshank looks amazing in 4k and I'm very glad I picked it up - it's a shame the steelbook art is so bad though. I'm glad I didn't get that version as the regular version's slipcover is nice.

I got the steelbook and am a little on the fence. I don't think the cover art for the original was out yeah, so I erred towards caution. It's easier to return a steelbook and pick-up a regular than vise-versa. It sucks because the art from the Blu-Ray was so much better than either, that nice illustration.

I like some aspects of the steelbook art, but at the same time it kinda conflicts with the very grounded presentation of the film.

Oh, and Clockwork Orange UHD steelbook is now available to pre-order from Best Buy.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I have the Shawshank Blu-ray steelbook and the cover is the shot in the movie where Andy is standing in the rain after he escapes and his arms are outstretched, it’s pretty much perfect. The new Steelbook looks real bad by comparison.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Sand Monster posted:

I posted this in the Plex thread but didn't get any reply and thought perhaps you all might have an idea...

I've ripped my entire DVD & Blu-ray collection (400+ discs) with the exception of one movie -- an old DVD of Quiz Show. It plays fine in my DVD player but having tried it in a total of three different computer drives, it is never recognized as a valid disc. Some searching online suggested it's some kind of copy protection measure. Does that seem plausible? It's annoying because as I said it's the only disc that I've had this trouble with.

Meant to respond yesterday: YES. The Squid and the Whale, Friday, and TMNT 1 are all DVDs that have been impossible for me to rip a digital copy but the disc works fine.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

I have the Shawshank Blu-ray steelbook and the cover is the shot in the movie where Andy is standing in the rain after he escapes and his arms are outstretched, it’s pretty much perfect. The new Steelbook looks real bad by comparison.

I think that's the shot they used on the inside of the new 4k steelbook case

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Orange Carlisle posted:

I think that's the shot they used on the inside of the new 4k steelbook case

Probably should have swapped those.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm starting to think the From Dusk Till Dawn UHD is probably gonna be delayed because we're about a month away from the release date and still haven't seen what the packaging looks like.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

I'm starting to think the From Dusk Till Dawn UHD is probably gonna be delayed because we're about a month away from the release date and still haven't seen what the packaging looks like.

The default packaging makes it look like a crime film, but the reverse side is full vampire mayhem

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I now own a laserdisc

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
I can't believe I even have to say this...

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

I now own a laserdisc

I've got Japanese imports of Videodrome and Creepshow so I am the coolest dweeb :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The Erotic Bee Gees series was suppressed for a reason…