Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Finished Psychonauts 2. I have 48 hours clocked in according to Steam, though I did on a few occasions leave the game paused while I went to do chores, occasionally realizing that I was putting off continuing the game to postpone having to finish it and put it down again. Also, I wanted to 100% it on my first playthrough, and I had to play along with a few video guides in order to catch the last few pesky figments. I was really hoping at some point, maybe very close to the end, Otto would give you a figment detector to make the business of cleaning out the minds less painful.

Just absolutely wonderful. It's funny, when I first started the game, I was a little... worried? Raz's jumping, floating and fighting skills felt so nerfed compared to the first game, the enemies were hardier, quicker, more aggressive, and in some situations, health drops seemed scarce. I died so many times in several places of Loboto's mind just misjudging jumps. Plus I missed the mellow start of the first game, where you can explore the camping area before going into the Coach's mind.

I didn't like the interns at first either, probably identifying with Raz too much. I really quickly liked Hollis, though - love her design and how humanized she gets from going through her mind.Though I did have her on my suspects list for a good while.

It'll have been somewhere in Hollis's mind that I really realized how good this game was. Once the interns warmed up a bit to Raz (and some of their Clairvoyancy visions of him changed) I started loving them as well. Aside from Norma.

I think the first mind you explore after Hollis is probably Psy-king? Just amazing. Trekking around a psychedelic album cover while Jack Black makes goofy comments is really something, but then realizing he was Helmut Fullbear, having him do a full music video, and hearing his super touching history just had me smiling and laughing like an idiot. Something about realizing he and Bob were an item made me really gooey too. I think it's just the entirely casual way the game handles it. No one remarking about how their love was 'special' or 'unusual' - just complete acceptance of it being normal and beautiful.

And then to get to Bob's mind, God. I went through that entire level at a very slow pace, it was heartwrenching. If they hadn't made the reunion between Bob and Helmut such a goofy, lighthearted affair, I probably would've been weeping.

(post-finale spoilers) [spoiler]Ford's interactions were surprisingly heavy. I agree with others that it feels like he got off too light for all the terrible things he did, but hey, what can you do. Similarly, the resolution of "dig a giant hole in your mind and bury your darkest feelings inside it" felt very... unhealthy. I get that Nona "accepting" Maligula and absorbing her inside of herself would've been kind of trite, but I feel like that's a more optimistic solution. We all tend to curb our dark, bad impulses with positive feelings, hope, rationality, wisdom. Nona acknowledging what she did without letting those negative feelings rule her seems better than having to chain it up inside her again. I think I also would've liked it if Nona became a bit more lucid after the whole affair. Like Ford, it feels like she gets off too light. Funny touch: if you use Clairvoyance on Nona, she randomly sees you either as Dion or Queepie.

I kind of would've liked to have a resolution between Nona and Augustus too. Maybe no words, just the two of them meeting and exchanging a hug to show things would be all right... though Augustus's dialogue with Raz while he's standing over the waterfall is really, really good, and probably the more mature choice to handle it.

Like I've seen others mention, I was growing convinced Otto was the mole, and behind everything; he seemed disliked by the other members of the Psychic Six, introduced Lucy to them, was the only one who seemed relatively unfazed by Lucy's loss, was indirectly responsible for the loss of Helmut. Plus his coat looked kind of good for a villain. I was genuinely surprised when he didn't turn out to be it. I was, however, delighted to find out it was actually Nick. See, when Raz put Helmut's brain into Nick, I recognized his voice as Elijah Wood's. Normally I would take that bit of casting as meaning that Nick would have a larger role, but in this case I figured: Elijah worked with Double Fine on Broken Age, I think he's a videogame nerd, he probably asked to be put in Psychonauts 2, so they threw him a small role as Nick's voice. I had not expected Nick's "real brain" to show up at all anymore. Speaking of voices, holy poo poo does Maligula's voice actress go for it in the final battle, fantastic.

There's bits of the game I was less thrilled with. Aside from Raz feeling a lot less flexible, I was annoyed to revisit minds and find that lots of parts that were previously connected were now permanently separated, so you kept having to go to the caterpillar to transport you to others. I feel like that almost never happened in the first game, so if you went back in to collect stuff, you could just follow the same route you used previously. Very often it wasn't necessary at all, you simply ran into a closed door where previously the game would go into a cutscene. Also, this game basically has a problem where it needs more buttons than are on a controller. In a lot of longer fights, you have to have access to more powers than you can keep equipped, so you have to swap them out through the menu mid-battle. I wasn't a fan of that. If there was some way to let you cycle through powers on the fly, it might be less frustrating. And I wished they'd made a 'night' version of the Quarry, QA and Motherlobe, so I could've gone back there to finish things up after fixing Ford. There was more than ample warning, but I figured since there were some things that were simply impossible to do before proceeding - such as getting into the doors with mail slots - that eventually the game would let me back. I just didn't think that 'eventually' would be post-credits. Though, in hindsight, I think the only thing the game does not let you complete before the credits is Norma's scavenger hunt.

Plus the post-credits game is such a wonderful way to decompress after the finale is over. I think I spent over an hour just travelling to all corners of the map to talk to all of the characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
A thought on the whole Ford not getting proper punishment for what he did. If someone else besides Ford split his own mind, would it feel more like a punishment? Cause having your brain scrambled and shattered seems like a really troubling and unpleasant thing to happen to anyone. Is there something about that it was self inflicted that it doesn't feel like a punishment?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I would like to remind everyone that Helmut and Bob being in the state they're in is also Ford's fault.
Seriously, how did nobody else know that Ford took Helmut's brain back with him? Was he so scared of people finding out what he was doing to Lucy/Maligula that he didn't tell anyone about anything?

Also, why didn't Otto take a peek into that mystery brain he stumbled across.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Broken Cog posted:

Also, why didn't Otto take a peek into that mystery brain he stumbled across.

I can at least understand this one as Otto being waaaay too distracted by whatever his latest invention is to really worry about some random brain he found, it goes in the brainframe backlog that I'm sure we'll get around to working on any month now. Oh, wait, he just had another new brilliant idea that has to be worked on right now...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I can at least understand this one as Otto being waaaay too distracted by whatever his latest invention is to really worry about some random brain he found, it goes in the brainframe backlog that I'm sure we'll get around to working on any month now. Oh, wait, he just had another new brilliant idea that has to be worked on right now...

Honestly, good point. I can absolutely see that happening.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Honestly I'm still confused about SPOILERS the timeline for Helmut getting frozen. The vault shows Ford with an incapacitated Maligula next to the hole in the ice when Helmut ejects his brain to the surface. Where was everyone else? When did the lake get turned into impenetrable super ice? Did I miss something? I think i need a diagram.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr Phillby posted:

Honestly I'm still confused about SPOILERS the timeline for Helmut getting frozen. The vault shows Ford with an incapacitated Maligula next to the hole in the ice when Helmut ejects his brain to the surface. Where was everyone else? When did the lake get turned into impenetrable super ice? Did I miss something? I think i need a diagram.

i think it comes out with a discussion around otto but also through everyone else's memories: it was otto's fault basically, or maybe more broadly the fault of everyone working at cross purposes. they more or less all attack individually and to their strengths and fail; helmut and cassie try to talk sense into her with a motivational speech and emotional appeal and i think it's even implied one of them was working at which point otto turned on his ice nine machine which sends her back into feral mode and ultimately only works on the lake and not all the water, boole attacks with animals and they're all drowned, bob tries it with the psychic plant and maligula almost kills him for it. helmut takes the blow and gets thrown into the last of the un-frozen water and has the presence of mind to use his ultra sneezing powder spy capsule to eject his brain. ford manages to subdue maligula but everyone else has totally eaten poo poo by this point and are out of action, only ford knows what happened. ford does not have the presence of mind to help his close friend, nor his grieving spouse before self lobotomizing. the ice nine never thaws and the lake is more or less impenetrable, they dug but could never find the body. ford is a super guy!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
it's really really funny that helmut has by far the highest opinion of ford and it's entirely loving backwards, ford fucks him over harder than anyone lmao

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

CoolCab posted:

it's really really funny that helmut has by far the highest opinion of ford and it's entirely loving backwards, ford fucks him over harder than anyone lmao

He has no idea to be fair. Vision swears to find his body because that's what Helmut believes will happen after Lucy is taken care of. I mean heck Vision didn't even know his mind was shattered!

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:

Caesar Saladin posted:

God, I'm missing 4 PSI challenge cards and I have the platinum. I'm seriously going to have to run through entire videos following youtubers to get these. Its two in the forest, one in the quarry, and one in the gulch. They could be anywhere, i wish there was a decent way in game to track them. The figments weren't that bad at all with the google docs guide.

Is there a google docs guide like that for the PSI cards?

Unfortunately there's not an easy way to know what you collected. I used this guide to get the remaining few though: https://www.thegamer.com/psychonauts-2-complete-guide-walkthrough/#hub-collectibles

I basically went for ones that sounded like they were more hidden or off the beaten path first, because they would be the most likely ones I missed in my initial playthrough. Good luck!

Edit: Also be sure to check in with the other characters as you go, if you want to find out what they're up to after the game's events. :)

Fanatic fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Sep 14, 2021

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
After 100%ing Psychonauts 2, I went back and started in on a 100% replay of Psychonauts 1, and wow, without nostalgia goggles there are three incredibly terrible fundamental design decisions in that game:

- Once you hit the nighttime switchover, the cast of quirky NPCs all vanish and now you've just got empty surroundings with random appearances of annoying and identical wildlife.

- Once you hit the asylum, all progression is hard-locked until you grind out enough arrowheads to afford the Cobweb Duster. Hopefully you're using a controller with force feedback and you're not colorblind! And you're constantly interrupted by bears and leopards while doing so.

- Literally all of Meat Circus.

Hawkperson posted:

I didn’t have the same sense of excitement for the head levels in P2 because it was clear they weren’t going to be vastly different gameplay-wise this time ‘round.

It does feel like a lost opportunity that they didn't put in some more mini-levels with puzzle/minigame aspects like Compton's Cookoff and the flea circus.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 15, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I had a couple of bugs over my playthrough, but nearly all were sound related:

- in the Sensorium: after getting through Vision's shrine, the hand guy was already standing backstage, sort of t-posing and without collission.
- if I go back to the eye shrine, Vision's lines of poetry still play if I walk over rainbow bridges. They don't for the ear/hand shrine or nose/mouth shrines. I figure that's a programming oversight.
- for all of the Sensorium, when I went back later, it would still play some of Psy-king's lines, seemingly because I hadn't triggered them before.
- and after beating the Sensorium, when the band is on stage and I approach them, their subtitles appear, but their lines don't play.
Other than that, I had the subtitles for Loboto and Sasha continue to appear long after I left his lab. And I think there's a filter that gets applied to lines for characters who are physically distant from you, that sometimes happens when you're too close.

Also, one of flea Frazie's lines doesn't have the pitch adjusted, so it's just their regular voice.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

davidspackage posted:

I had a couple of bugs over my playthrough, but nearly all were sound related:

- in the Sensorium: after getting through Vision's shrine, the hand guy was already standing backstage, sort of t-posing and without collission.
- if I go back to the eye shrine, Vision's lines of poetry still play if I walk over rainbow bridges. They don't for the ear/hand shrine or nose/mouth shrines. I figure that's a programming oversight.
- for all of the Sensorium, when I went back later, it would still play some of Psy-king's lines, seemingly because I hadn't triggered them before.
- and after beating the Sensorium, when the band is on stage and I approach them, their subtitles appear, but their lines don't play.
Other than that, I had the subtitles for Loboto and Sasha continue to appear long after I left his lab. And I think there's a filter that gets applied to lines for characters who are physically distant from you, that sometimes happens when you're too close.

Also, one of flea Frazie's lines doesn't have the pitch adjusted, so it's just their regular voice.

I had everything except the last one happen to me, too. Not game-breakingly terrible, just a bit offputting. And for the youtuber I'm watching play through, too, who also gets distracted by the incidental agent lines in the Motherlobe.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

CoolCab posted:

i think it comes out with a discussion around otto but also through everyone else's memories: it was otto's fault basically, or maybe more broadly the fault of everyone working at cross purposes. they more or less all attack individually and to their strengths and fail; helmut and cassie try to talk sense into her with a motivational speech and emotional appeal and i think it's even implied one of them was working at which point otto turned on his ice nine machine which sends her back into feral mode and ultimately only works on the lake and not all the water, boole attacks with animals and they're all drowned, bob tries it with the psychic plant and maligula almost kills him for it. helmut takes the blow and gets thrown into the last of the un-frozen water and has the presence of mind to use his ultra sneezing powder spy capsule to eject his brain. ford manages to subdue maligula but everyone else has totally eaten poo poo by this point and are out of action, only ford knows what happened. ford does not have the presence of mind to help his close friend, nor his grieving spouse before self lobotomizing. the ice nine never thaws and the lake is more or less impenetrable, they dug but could never find the body. ford is a super guy!
The part that confuses me is that the lake is clearly shown as not actually frozen in the vault showing the brain ejection. The surface is, but the brain just passes through water and the hole in the ice. I thought the problem was that Helmut got dunked just as the ice thingy went off, freezing him instantly at the bottom of the lake. If the water was just super cold surely they could have just TKed him back out? Not to mention he seemed to use smelling salts underwater for the brain ejection. This story about a psychic viking sneezing his brain out doesn't make sense!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Mr Phillby posted:

The part that confuses me is that the lake is clearly shown as not actually frozen in the vault showing the brain ejection. The surface is, but the brain just passes through water and the hole in the ice. I thought the problem was that Helmut got dunked just as the ice thingy went off, freezing him instantly at the bottom of the lake. If the water was just super cold surely they could have just TKed him back out? Not to mention he seemed to use smelling salts underwater for the brain ejection. This story about a psychic viking sneezing his brain out doesn't make sense!

no, this is what otto is talking about he assumed his device would instantly freeze the lake. it didn't, it took a minute and in that time maligula more or less merced everyone and when he chose to use it prevented any kind of peaceful resolution. which imo does lend some credence to the idea he's maybe a future villain; the team and narrative blame ford for...extremely compelling reasons tbh, but lucy being recruited at all, the horrific astrolathe being built and repeatedly used, the maligula fight going to poo poo, the lake being frozen and helmut "dying" as well as losing his brain and the current psychonauts setup, particularly the big brain mahcine, all being kind of awful are all directly otto's fault, not fords.

also, i'm pretty sure his clairvoyance is the same as oleanders was in the first game. maybe the reason truman seemed so cool with it was because it was pretty typical otto behaviour.

e: and i don't think the water was cold at all, i think it was some kind of room temprature freezing device.

Jables88
Jul 26, 2010
Tortured By Flan
Just completed this after having played around 90 minutes of the first game on Game Pass to get a feel for it.

Really blown away by almost every aspect of it - I turned Narrative Combat on after a couple of hours and don't regret it at all. I'm here for platforming and brain stuff, not fighting.

I thought it was cool how the game gave you a lot of scope to determine how much of the mystery you want to figure out - the more you read and talk and the more memories you unlock the more you get a full picture of what happened. Interesting Rashomon kind of thing where pretty much everyone has their own perspective on how the whole thing originally went down and you need all of them to understand it properly.

Looking forward to playing the sequel in 2045.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

A thought on the whole Ford not getting proper punishment for what he did...
Then I remember that three days ago, Coach Oleander was stealing childrens' brains to build tanks for world domination, and today he's a mostly trusted part of the team again, going on missions, and assigned as a mentor to one or more students. The Psychonauts as an organization appears to be almost absurdly forgiving, as long as you seem sorry for your actions... which actually sort of makes sense, considering Psychonauts can literally hop into your head to confirm that remorse is genuine. Gristol is the only one who really seems to be receiving punishment, because he's the one person who is clearly not even a little bit sorry about the bad things he did.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
But there again, the tone of the Psychonauts universe is Saturday Morning Cartoon. The reason that characters are rehabilitated so quickly is that it's funny. It's funny that Coach Oleander is just... there. He's learned his lesson in a day, and then he's back to just being a Psychonaut on missions with them but everybody treats him like a jerk and he deserves it. He deserves worse, but it's amusing that they keep him around. The same with Dr Loboto. He's an insane mutant freak who cuts people's brains out, but he's just hanging around getting mind probed at HQ and some of the Psychonauts seem to feel sorry for him.

I don't know that you can really do that with Ford Cruller because it's not funny. It's not some Wild Villainous Scheme it's brainwashing a woman into repressing her violent urges then lying to a family that she's their matriarch. Which is pretty hosed up, like maybe less hosed up than taking out kids' brains, but I think since it's a more "grounded" crime it seems more unforgivable in the Psychonauts universe. The punishment doesn't fit the crime, the punishment fits the audience's suspension of disbelief. You could believe that in the world of Psychonauts somebody could have their memories replaced but in no reality could you remove people's brains and have them live. If any of that made sense...

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Robot Hobo posted:

Then I remember that three days ago, Coach Oleander was stealing childrens' brains to build tanks for world domination, and today he's a mostly trusted part of the team again, going on missions, and assigned as a mentor to one or more students. The Psychonauts as an organization appears to be almost absurdly forgiving, as long as you seem sorry for your actions... which actually sort of makes sense, considering Psychonauts can literally hop into your head to confirm that remorse is genuine. Gristol is the only one who really seems to be receiving punishment, because he's the one person who is clearly not even a little bit sorry about the bad things he did.

Oleander's actions are at least adressed. There's the scene at the end of 1 where he apologizes to everyone, and it works because again, he is basically a comic book villain, and he didn't actually kill anyone. Ford's actions are barely addressed outside of him himself talking about it. They also decided to go with a more "mature" overarching story in 2, which requires a bit of a different approach.

Also, I hate Gristol as a villain, because beside the game spending a lot of effort to get you to hate him as fast as possible, being a spoiled brat, taking the place of Truman, and tricking Raz into putting Ford back together are the only things he's really guilty of. Ford and Lucy have committed far worse acts.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Ok ima just say it: Psychonauts 2 is AWESOME!!!!!!

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

cheeseboy58 posted:

:emptyquote:

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Also, I hate Gristol as a villain, because beside the game spending a lot of effort to get you to hate him as fast as possible, being a spoiled brat, taking the place of Truman, and tricking Raz into putting Ford back together are the only things he's really guilty of. Ford and Lucy have committed far worse acts.

Manipulating two mentally-addled war criminals who are not currently committing war crimes, to try and get one of them to begin doing war crimes again, so he can institute a dictatorship DOES tick another box in the villain column outside of lying to a ten-year-old.

I thought he was a good villain premise, but the reveal happens after the point of no return, so there's not enough time to really let it sit and weigh in. He's there, you go through Fatherland Follies, and he's pushed into the background (by a hurricane)

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Oleander's actions are at least adressed. There's the scene at the end of 1 where he apologizes to everyone, and it works because again, he is basically a comic book villain, and he didn't actually kill anyone. Ford's actions are barely addressed outside of him himself talking about it. They also decided to go with a more "mature" overarching story in 2, which requires a bit of a different approach.

I feel like intent is an important consideration. Gristol wants revenge on the psychonauts / Ford for ruining his chance to be the leader of Grulovia, and for being the reason he had to live in a very comfortable hotel room without caviar. His motivations are entirely petty and selfish, like, he basically wanted to take over the world. It's weird to frame it as "the only thing he's guilty of..."

On the counterpoint, Lucy killed people, but not intentionally. Ford did some awful things with good intentions, and the alternatives weren't really clear.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I tend to put actions over intentions, actually damage done over thoughtcrime.

What's that old saying again? Got it on the tip of my tongue...

Broken Cog fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Sep 15, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

cheeseboy58 posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, I feel like this is going to start a multi-page derail.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Where is it in the game that Lucy was not in control of her actions which lead to killing protesters?

Also, an update for released that addresses some things mentioned in this thread:

https://twitter.com/DoubleFine/status/1438218000092573696

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

IUG posted:

Where is it in the game that Lucy was not in control of her actions which lead to killing protesters?

There's a memory vault in the related world that goes into that, I think.

Basically, she killed a lot of people on accident. While her psyche was already in a weakened state, and fighting in a war doubtlessly pushed her farther to the brink, it was this event that caused her primal instinct to break out and make her Maligula.

The war was pretty much over, but since the gzar was a ruthless dictator, the people were unhappy and there were protests. He ordered Lucy to get rid of protestors, and she did so by making it rain. That didn't work, but at least it wasn't really violent. Unfortunately, the constant rain eventually caused a nearby dam to break, flooding the town and killing many; that alone would be terrible enough, but to make matters worse, Lucy's sister was also among those who protested against the gzar and died. That was too far, Lucy broke, and it was only primal killing instinct from then on - until Ford brainwashed that part away in a shoddy manner (a literal breaking dam).

From that point on, Maligula eventually took over the country and started killing intentionally, with her sanity entirely consumed. So while the killing of protestors and her own sister can be considered a tragic accident - in support of a dictator, which is a pretty bad cause -, she was only truly not in control of her actions after that. The psychic experiments, the horrors of war, the feeling of obligation to help the gzar, and the incredible guilt effectively made her a walking natural disaster.

Lessons to take away from this: don't help dictators, don't go to war after intentionally unlocking every goddamn door in your head, and seriously reconsider things when your own sister comes out to protest against the guy you're supporting.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

IUG posted:

It's not that she wasn't in control of her actions, it's that it wasn't intentional. She was trying to disperse the protestors with heavy rainfall to discourage them from, y'know, standing around outside and protesting. Unfortunately, the rainfall caused a dam to break and started a flood, which did kill people, including her sister and brother-in-law, at which point Lucy had a psychotic break. After that point, Lucy was arguably not in control of her actions but it sort of depends on how much you're willing to think of Maligula as a totally separate person from Lucy.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

CuwiKhons posted:

It's not that she wasn't in control of her actions, it's that it wasn't intentional. She was trying to disperse the protestors with heavy rainfall to discourage them from, y'know, standing around outside and protesting. Unfortunately, the rainfall caused a dam to break and started a flood, which did kill people, including her sister and brother-in-law, at which point Lucy had a psychotic break. After that point, Lucy was arguably not in control of her actions but it sort of depends on how much you're willing to think of Maligula as a totally separate person from Lucy.

It's that last part that feels like the main difference people are having in this discussion. For me, the fact that Nona pops out of Maligula during the fight instead of temporarily turning back into her strongly implies they are so thoroughly disparate beings that neither has a solid influence on the other. Thus, any punishment of the Maligula shard would need more involved brain surgery than the sneezing-powder-and-funnel technique we've seen. And that's the crux of a few people's arguments, I know, that we can't give these characters a deserved comeuppance because the world doesn't support so serious a resolution.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
i critique it mostly because i feel like a lot of the characters should have a stronger reaction rather than any sincere belief in accountability for psychic wizards. it's not a plot hole just a missing characterization beat that feels rushed because of it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Okay, but Gristol literally took action and engineered a situation to bring back Maligula, which also involving stealing one person's body. Gristol's actions are all maneuvers to get him into a place of power. It's not like we kicked down the door of his Hotel room and beat him up for thinking about taking over the world, he was on the verge of it.

As for Ford...what was his alternatives? I see why people say Ford got off easy, but I also think people are being a bit hard on him with what we know. Maligula was basically a murderous force that hijacked Lucy. Putting Lucy on trial for Maligula's actions isn't really fair, and also, probably not feasible at all. While morally hosed up, what Ford did was one of the few options that meant Lucy didn't have to die, and everyone else would be safe from Maligula.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Sep 16, 2021

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
One alternative would've been to not act like judge, jury and executioner all on his own. He hid what he did from basically everyone else, and he pretty much admits he did it because he still loved her and wanted to protect her, not because he feels it was the right thing to do. (He also says he was "young and stupid", but he couldn't have been any younger than 40 or 50 by the time this happened so... young is relative.) Let's also not forget that it involved completely brainwashing an entirely innocent person (Augustus) and overwriting his memories. We may be able to disagree on where exactly here Ford crossed the moral event horizon but he surely did it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

CoolCab posted:

i critique it mostly because i feel like a lot of the characters should have a stronger reaction rather than any sincere belief in accountability for psychic wizards. it's not a plot hole just a missing characterization beat that feels rushed because of it.

Yeah the way that Hollis and crew treated Raz for what he did in Hollis’s mind doesn’t line up with how they treated Ford for…everything. Raz gets an age and action-appropriate talking to about doing a really messed up thing, so Ford not getting any of that (yet?) really messes up the narrative symmetry.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

One alternative would've been to not act like judge, jury and executioner all on his own. He hid what he did from basically everyone else, and he pretty much admits he did it because he still loved her and wanted to protect her, not because he feels it was the right thing to do. (He also says he was "young and stupid", but he couldn't have been any younger than 40 or 50 by the time this happened so... young is relative.) Let's also not forget that it involved completely brainwashing an entirely innocent person (Augustus) and overwriting his memories. We may be able to disagree on where exactly here Ford crossed the moral event horizon but he surely did it.

Fair - I just get an impression that part of the problem was that Maligula was dangerous enough that you're not exactly putting her on trial. The 6 Psychonauts were barely able to get her under control. Ford certainly made choices for the wrong reasons, but I'm not clear how much time everyone realistically had, though, the fact we don't know is part of the problem in Ford making the decision for everyone.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Oxyclean posted:

Fair - I just get an impression that part of the problem was that Maligula was dangerous enough that you're not exactly putting her on trial. The 6 Psychonauts were barely able to get her under control. Ford certainly made choices for the wrong reasons, but I'm not clear how much time everyone realistically had, though, the fact we don't know is part of the problem in Ford making the decision for everyone.
I think he was trying his best, but there's not much precedent for this sort of thing. Also everyone involved was pretty much a broken-down mess at that point, so nobody was going to be making well-considered, rational decisions.

A main theme of this game seems to be "You can't shoulder every burden alone, don't be too afraid or too stubborn to ask for help." That's the main mistake a lot of the characters made, and it's the lesson Raz keeps learning throughout the game. Ford blamed himself for everything that had happened. His guilt told him that he had to fix it on his own, partly because his friends had been through enough already, and partly because anyone else would likely punish Lucy for what Ford believed to be entirely his own crimes.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 16, 2021

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
There's a nice little moment in Hollis's mind where she associates Help with Defeat (or weakness) and Raz very earnestly says "I hope that's not true, I often ask for help!"

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Just got my 100%, just in time for more Deltaruin! This game was awesome and I'm glad I backed it years ago.

My favorite exchange is early on when you get to return to the front lobby. Two characters are talking about "What if her husband finds out ". Then it turns out they're throwing him a birthday party. Because he was so understanding about the affair! He's the best!

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

IUG posted:

Just got my 100%, just in time for more Deltaruin! This game was awesome and I'm glad I backed it years ago.

My favorite exchange is early on when you get to return to the front lobby. Two characters are talking about "What if her husband finds out ". Then it turns out they're throwing him a birthday party. Because he was so understanding about the affair! He's the best!

Haha yeah I loved that bit.

Also, ran into a place called Helmut's Strudel here at an Oktoberfest in Texas, so I think we've found our new dlc for after we rescue the body.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Broken Cog posted:

Okay, so by your logic then;

"You killed that person!"

"He was about to kill my child!"

"YOU KILLED THAT PERSON! YOU'RE A MURDERER! :byodood:"

Intention contextualizes action, and is critical to processing a person's behaviour in a situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, so by your logic then;

"You killed that person!"

"He was about to kill my child!"

"YOU KILLED THAT PERSON! YOU'RE A MURDERER! :byodood:"

Intention contextualizes action, and is critical to processing a person's behaviour in a situation.
If you kill or harm someone, even in the case of self-defense, you are responsible for those actions, though obviously there are mitigating circumstances.
Still, I don't think that is very relevant for Ford or Lucy. They'd probably do better trying to plead insanity.

As an aside, that feels like a very American comment.