Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Just drop the show and switch to the manga if you still like MHA, it's unwatchable now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
They also skipped I think Redestro's introduction which was... Really something. Like something out of DC comics.

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

I definitely think once this season is over, I'm going to just read the manga(s) and just watch the dub when it comes around, a lot of these omissions do seem egregious.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I agree with the guy who said it feels like there was an order from on high to strip all characterisation and nuance from the villains

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The last two episodes were pretty good, but some cuts were still notable.

Not Keyser Soze
Mar 7, 2007

Endless Celestial Sex
There's "tragic backstory" and then there's "over-indulgent bathos" and that episode felt far more like the latter. Also it seems like if Quirks manifest during the stage in early childhood development where children have very little control over impulse and emotion then these kinds of tragedies should be way more commonplace.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Not Keyser Soze posted:

There's "tragic backstory" and then there's "over-indulgent bathos" and that episode felt far more like the latter. Also it seems like if Quirks manifest during the stage in early childhood development where children have very little control over impulse and emotion then these kinds of tragedies should be way more commonplace.

There aren't a whole lot of quirks out there with the kind of power and destructive ability that Shiggy's has, and its probable that his went out of control that day because of his family's abuse.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Technowolf posted:

There aren't a whole lot of quirks out there with the kind of power and destructive ability that Shiggy's has, and its probable that his went out of control that day because of his family's abuse.

I wonder if some of the power stored by One for All was actually passed down genetically to Shigi which was why it was so powerful compared to say, Bakugo's quirk.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

I think that quirks being this powerful is mostly a recent thing, since as far as I know they get stronger each generation. Since most quirks are apparently either one of the parent's quirks or a combination, it's generally probably pretty easy to anticipate possible problems that pop up and very few quirks are going to be directly destructive probably. Even still you have stuff like Kirishima scarring himself when his quirk came in.

Also the implication I got from the episode is that the only real accident was the dog and that everything else was the quirk acting according to what Shiggy wanted (subconsciously or not)

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Zeron posted:

I think that quirks being this powerful is mostly a recent thing, since as far as I know they get stronger each generation. Since most quirks are apparently either one of the parent's quirks or a combination, it's generally probably pretty easy to anticipate possible problems that pop up and very few quirks are going to be directly destructive probably. Even still you have stuff like Kirishima scarring himself when his quirk came in.

That's specifically stated during the Make-up Exam arc. It also implies that quirks combining (much like how Bakugo and Shoto's quirks are combinations of their parents' quirks) is a lot more common now and mentions some sort of "quirk singularity" theory that's supposed to be rapidly approaching.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Dracula Factory posted:

I definitely think once this season is over, I'm going to just read the manga(s) and just watch the dub when it comes around, a lot of these omissions do seem egregious.

I'm also leaning this direction.

How close were the earlier seasons to the manga? It wasn't this bad, obviously, but was there worthwhile stuff left out or would it be fine picking up the manga from around the end of Overhaul or thereabouts?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is really the first time that cuts have affected the plot this significantly

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Yeah, I think MHA has been absolutely great until this season. 4/5 seasons is a pretty good record. Hopefully they'll get enough negative feedback that they'll reverse course for next season.

The only cut thing I know about is Overhaul in the manga recounts a theory that quirks were a disease originating in, and spread by. rodents somehow. With his germaphobia, it would explain why he hates quirks so much.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
There was the Mario slideshow from last season, but then Deku’s fight was pretty good so

Dracula Factory
Sep 7, 2007

It is really irritating too to have scattered moments of amazing animation surrounded by mostly dull stuff and way too many slideshows. Like Shoto's first big fireball and Deku's universe of punches were such stunning moments, and the only good recent moment I can think of is when Ochaco nimbly jumped around to hide her all might keychain. There are a number of other action anime that are showing up much better in that department.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I remember when I thought the animation in this show was pretty good

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I think it has, and still does the fluffy bits really well. As mentioned Ochaco's keychain gag, that time everyone was speed walking, Iida karate chopping no one in particular.

But other than the Endeavor vs High End fight, most action episodes are 90 well animated seconds surrounded by 22 minutes of serviceable animation.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Technowolf posted:

Zeron posted:

Also the implication I got from the episode is that the only real accident was the dog and that everything else was the quirk acting according to what Shiggy wanted (subconsciously or not)

Shigaraki's quirk is very likely a mutation like Eri's. Thats why it's so powerful, hard to control and came out of nowhere like it did. The story of his quirk manifesting is extremely similar to her story of vanishing her dad. Shigi and Eri are also visually similar in that both of them have the same blue-grey hair and red eyes. It's possible all 'mutants' would have these features.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don't hate this season like some others itt, but then I haven't read the manga at all either so I don't know what the cut parts are.

I do agree that this season feels like a lot of wasted potential though because I had hoped we'd get more insight into the league but what we're getting is some very basic "they had lovely childhoods and now they're murderers". I was hoping for more. Are we getting some backstory to the Ninja Turtle, MagicianGuy and BlueFireMan as well eventually?

I do hope that whatever fights are left in this season get more animation as well, like the last fight in the Overhaul arc

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Sep 17, 2021

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Spinner's backstory was supposed to be touched on at the start of this arc. But, like everything related to him at this point other than the fact that he exists, it got cut.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lotus Aura posted:

Spinner's backstory was supposed to be touched on at the start of this arc. But, like everything related to him at this point other than the fact that he exists, it got cut.

Feels like Spinner is about to get his big moment in the fight against the politician guy, maybe they'll slot it in there

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I feel this is very much covid showing its effect on the industry.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mordaedil posted:

It's probably a factor, but there are too many lookers last season for that to work as a complete excuse. It's been a long time since lockdowns started, and most places have got some kind of workflow going. It's more likely that the movie was responsible here.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mordaedil posted:

This is not COVIDs fault. The Endeavour internship and Joint training arcs were slowed down and lengthened. With one episode of Endeavour Internship covering a single chapter, and an anime original episode being inserted in. That is not even starting with the fact that Endeavour Intership and MVA got swapped around.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I do agree that this season feels like a lot of wasted potential though because I had hoped we'd get more insight into the league but what we're getting is some very basic "they had lovely childhoods and now they're murderers". I was hoping for more. Are we getting some backstory to the Ninja Turtle, MagicianGuy and BlueFireMan as well eventually?

Spinner's should have already happened but they might slot it in later I guess. The other two - yes but not this season.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Not that the manga doesn't have its own issues too; but at least in terms of its art quality, direction and composition it feels like its been consistently good.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
The stuff that's happening now is one of the best parts of the manga, so seeing it all chopped up like this makes it worse. It's probably not as bad if you've only seen the show.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
But remember when class b did a thing guys, definitely worth 16 (bad) episodes of that before all this.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
im still enjoying the show a lot. its probably the weakest season, but it has a lot of good moments. i dont read the manga, so thats maybe y im not so bitter ab the stuff they left out. it still works by itself.

NikkolasKing posted:

Also, as noted elsewhere, Destro being a backstory character seems like a waste. Why couldn't he just be the leader?

definitely disagreed here, that monologue re-destro has when he meets shigarakis clone was pretty great, and it wouldnt have been much different if it were said by destro himself instead.
on the other hand, i like the fact that the leader is his son that never even met him. it adds this idea of u not even being sure of how much of re-destros ideology has anything to do with destro himself or with destros mother, despite how strongly he feels for it.

but overall, yeah, the meta liberation army, at least as is in the anime, is pretty lame. re-destro is the only guy i like from it. judging from the endeavor stuff b4 this flashback, tho, maybe some of them will have more time to shine later.

Dracula Factory posted:

It is really irritating too to have scattered moments of amazing animation surrounded by mostly dull stuff and way too many slideshows. Like Shoto's first big fireball and Deku's universe of punches were such stunning moments, and the only good recent moment I can think of is when Ochaco nimbly jumped around to hide her all might keychain. There are a number of other action anime that are showing up much better in that department.

speed guy breaking through the ice. that whole episode was well done and on par w/ the best this show had to offer in animation imo

Gazaar posted:

But remember when class b did a thing guys, definitely worth 16 (bad) episodes of that before all this.

that part of the story was pretty fun and the only reasons that it wasnt three times better came entirely from the manga portion w/ that weak rear end writing in the last two fifths.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I forgot Shigaraki is AfO's last name. Dude is just a complete fucker.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Quirk-groomed by the weird bad man.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
They made another little cut in the backstory. Where it was shown that All for One rewarded young Shigaraki with toys and games for indulging in his bad impulses.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
They also cut more stuff with Spinner. lol. Can't characterize the badguys for some reason!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So is next week the end of the season or do we still have a couple episodes left?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Last ep next week. I heard it was another beach episode for the villains but the previews revealed this was a dirty lie.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

They also cut more stuff with Spinner. lol. Can't characterize the badguys for some reason!

I haven't watched the episode yet are you loving kidding me

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Blockhouse posted:

I haven't watched the episode yet are you loving kidding me
Lol Spinner is relegated to one shot standing by a truck he didn't even get a fight scene with Motivation Voice Politician

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I feel some one higher up must hate Spinner.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I just don’t understand it to be honest. I don’t think Spinners a big character or anything, but he adds a lot of fun moments to the League, it makes them seem human and not just a pack of violent psychopaths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Spinner is my dude and I think he's great but also he's not a particularly popular character and he doesn't really have any big moments in this arc or any others. While he's a big part of this arc in the comic it's mostly through his narration and his inner thoughts on Shigaraki and his reasons for joining the League. He doesn't really get much of a fight or a dramatic emotional breakthrough like Twice, he's kinda an easy choice to cut screentime for if you're short on time.

I think its a huge mistake to cut Spinner stuff because he's a big part of what makes this arc work imo, but I don't think his stuff was cut because it makes the villains too likeable or whatever. I think it was just done because he's not as big a deal as most of the other villains.