Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I should slingshot eggs at Clint every time I go into the shop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

maltesh posted:

The player has the opportunity to see Kel, Leah's ex, twice. Kel is set up to be the same gender as the player.

If the player uses the Shrine of Illusion to switch genders between Leah's 8-heart Art show and the 12-heart event, does Kel switch too?

Was about to say you can't change genders but apparently that was a change with 1.5 that you now CAN do that. I'd assume that since Kel is based on the gender of the farmer it depends on how it's programed. Either the gender is locked after seeing the event or is based on the gender at the time of the cutscene.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I gotta say, I do enjoy that Clint is pretty wholly unlikeable, and appreciate that, if anything, CA has kept that a thing. It'd be easy to be like "I made Clint 30% more likeable and less of a big baby" and it'd be fine, but having that person (because we all KNOW that person) in the game makes it feel all the connected and real I guess, I dunno.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Saxophone posted:

I gotta say, I do enjoy that Clint is pretty wholly unlikeable, and appreciate that, if anything, CA has kept that a thing. It'd be easy to be like "I made Clint 30% more likeable and less of a big baby" and it'd be fine, but having that person (because we all KNOW that person) in the game makes it feel all the connected and real I guess, I dunno.

I think Clint wants to change, but can't. Which is fine, he's the awkward nerd who loves smelting, crafting, and geology, and that's reflective in how he acts.

CA could really grow Clint's character by having him move beyond his desire for Emily, and maybe meet someone as equally awkward or understanding of who he is.

Right now, Clint is stuck in Stardew purgatory and can't change.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Tetrabor posted:

I think Clint wants to change, but can't. Which is fine, he's the awkward nerd who loves smelting, crafting, and geology, and that's reflective in how he acts.

CA could really grow Clint's character by having him move beyond his desire for Emily, and maybe meet someone as equally awkward or understanding of who he is.

Right now, Clint is stuck in Stardew purgatory and can't change.

you use the word can't here but the word we're all reading is 'won't'

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Marry Linus and get the choice of joining him as a wildman for a secret ending that bewilders grandpa's ghost at first but ultimately he's glad you're happy, or else having Linus join you on the farm. Either in his current persona or a distinguished gentleman planter.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

He doesn't want to live on the farm, stop trying to cage him in. Linus needs to be free.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Gaius Marius posted:

He doesn't want to live on the farm, stop trying to cage him in. Linus needs to be free.

:yeah:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
I am so ticked off with my timing. I get a lot of mods. Get the out of memory error because of the mods. I find out that the beta build is 64 bit which solves the memory issue, so I update to it and update my mods as well...

30 minutes after a new patch was released which broke the beta branch Smapi and the asset mods for the big mods (SDVE, ridgeside, etc). No eta on when they'll be up and running (props to Pathos updating SMAPI fixing the issue same day though!).

Wish I had kept a log of the 32 bit mod list, but ya live and learn.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can roll back patches on steam

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Is there a new version out for Stardew Valley? I am having trouble reading that post in any other way.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Gaius Marius posted:

I don't see why he can't camp on the farm. It's just a bit further from the mountains, and it's not like he moves his tent. Depending on the farm it's even more wild than the mountains.

To be fair he does have a sweet spot though.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Donkringel posted:

I am so ticked off with my timing. I get a lot of mods. Get the out of memory error because of the mods. I find out that the beta build is 64 bit which solves the memory issue, so I update to it and update my mods as well...

30 minutes after a new patch was released which broke the beta branch Smapi and the asset mods for the big mods (SDVE, ridgeside, etc). No eta on when they'll be up and running (props to Pathos updating SMAPI fixing the issue same day though!).

Wish I had kept a log of the 32 bit mod list, but ya live and learn.

We work pretty closely with Pathoschild to try to resolve any issues between SMAPI and the patches we're putting out on the in-development experimental 64-bit version of the game. It's kind of a pain that mods break, but we do make our best effort to try to minimize this as much as possible -- we usually give Pathos a day or two's notice if we're about to put out a new patch for the beta build and run any potentially mod-breaking changes by him before we commit to making any major code changes. Mods breaking along the process is just unfortunately an unavoidable thing that's going to happen while we hammer out this new build.

With that said though, it's also worth noting that the vast, vast majority of changes in 1.5.5 are strictly for the benefit of modders -- there are very few changes to the vanilla game, and the average Stardew Valley player won't even notice anything has changed at all. Under the hood, we've made dozens of very involved changes aimed at essentially giving modders the keys to a lot of things that were previously difficult to mod or required very intricate code hacks to accomplish. Even porting the game to MonoGame was a huge ordeal, but was done (in part) because it had been requested by Pathoschild years ago. We even took the opportunity to target the latest version of .NET and essentially gut the entire audio system and rewrite it in order to open it up to modding in the future. Someone even asked for the ability to become roommates with non-Krobus NPCs, so we spent the a few days making that a system modders will be able to play with in the future.

So long story short, try to be a little patient with us! Truly, it's a weird situation where to casual observers, all that seems to be happening is that we're breaking mods willy nilly, but the truth is that we're working with Pathoschild and the modding community in addressing limitations that've been in the game since launch and giving modders more tools to mess around with so that the community can really thrive and do cool/weird stuff with the game.

Grundulum posted:

Is there a new version out for Stardew Valley? I am having trouble reading that post in any other way.

There's a semi-public, mostly unannounced beta version of Stardew Valley that we gave modders early access to so that they can prepare for when it launches (it's publicly accessible on Steam). As mentioned before, there aren't any content changes (it's mostly the engine change + a litany of modder facing changes), so there's no real reason to switch to it unless you want to help find bugs (though there haven't been any major fires yet, so it seems like it's mostly stable).

Mr. Podunkian fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 16, 2021

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Finally I can make maple syrup bear my roommate.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I picked this up on the switch and it has eaten my life for the past few days. Every time I pick it up I lose five hours. It’s great though, just reached winter.

But why is fishing so drat hard? Like sometimes fish are easy and I’m tapping away but I tried to collect 10 squid and I kept landing crazy reels where they bounced up and down way too fast to follow then failed out in 2 seconds flat.

I haaate itttt.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Some fish are incredibly difficult. Octopus is harder than some of the legendary fish, IMO.

Fishing skill helps, and food can raise it over 10 (and higher than 10 still benefits), and the Trap Bobber is maybe the best for hard fish? A little personal taste.

Early on, the training rod has a few advantages for, as one might expect, training. It's green bar is the same size regardless of your skill (making it worse at high skll) and it won't get nibbles from high end fish, so you don't waste time on stuff you can't expect to catch.

Also Stardew fishing is just very divisive, sadly as you are on Switch I can't just suggest you mod it out.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Fishing rules but is hard. Trap Bobber is also my favorite go-to.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

coolusername posted:

I picked this up on the switch and it has eaten my life for the past few days. Every time I pick it up I lose five hours. It’s great though, just reached winter.

But why is fishing so drat hard? Like sometimes fish are easy and I’m tapping away but I tried to collect 10 squid and I kept landing crazy reels where they bounced up and down way too fast to follow then failed out in 2 seconds flat.

I haaate itttt.

as soon as you can buy crab pots. it takes foreeeevvvvveeeeeerrrrrrrr to raise fishing skill through rod fishing while with crab pots you can get it to 10 p quickly. every level makes your green bar larger and fishing slightly easier. even at 10 with some fish you're just going to need to get lucky.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 16, 2021

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

coolusername posted:

I haaate itttt.

you gain huge amounts more XP from actually catching something than you do from trying something hard and failing. get the training rod and go to the forest river south of your farm and right by Leah's cabin. fish there until you are at least level 3 - more is better, if you have the patience for it. in single player, time freezes while you are actively fishing, so you can catch a positively ludicrous amount of fish in a single day if you have the patience for the minigame. if you are just not a fan of the minigame in general (i absolutely am not), you can just buy a bunch of crab pots from willy's shop and toss them in your farm pond. it doesn't matter what you catch in the pot, just so long as you catch something, so it's entirely reasonable to just go to 10 that way. it's the way i prefer to do it because i seriously despise the fishing in this game.

however, if you want to powerlevel fishing, there's a way you can get to level 10 very quickly in game terms; you can go from level 3 to level 10 in no more than a week of game time with a bit of preparation. at level 3 you can use the fiberglass rod and bait. the dish o'the sea you also learn at level 3 is very, very helpful because that +3 fishing will do a LOT for your overall green area.

THIS IS THE PART THAT NEEDS PREPARATION: keep an eye on Gus's shop for hashbrowns. they're on his rotating menu, and he only sells a limited amount when they are. you'll need, if memory serves, 3 a day to support a hardcore XP grind; set your goal and get it done.

next, go to the sea during the day to fish up some sardines. SPECIFICALLY use the TRAINING ROD when you are going for sardines, the ocean is filled with tons of very tough fish but it is impossible to hook them with the training rod. load up on sardines, cook them with the hashbrowns you bought from Gus, and switch to the fiberglass rod with some bait. you can head to the mountain pond if you want to be safer, there's a bunch of intermediate fish there that will give you good XP returns for your effort. if you're feeling saucy, you can go back to the ocean and deal with the bastards there. at level 6 you'll get access to the iridium rod and the trap bobber. slap those on, head down to the beach, and fight those octopi and poo poo until you are level 10. don't forget your dish o' the sea and your training rod so you can efficiently catch more sardines to cook more dish o' the sea if you go over.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I actually enjoy the fishing mechanic :shrug: I guess the weighted bar that you need to keep 'afloat' just works well with my brain? I don't know, I don't have any problems with it, no matter how I control it, and I've done mouse/keyboard, controller, and touch (on mobile).

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Mr. Podunkian posted:

We work pretty closely with Pathoschild to try to resolve any issues between SMAPI and the patches we're putting out on the in-development experimental 64-bit version of the game. It's kind of a pain that mods break, but we do make our best effort to try to minimize this as much as possible -- we usually give Pathos a day or two's notice if we're about to put out a new patch for the beta build and run any potentially mod-breaking changes by him before we commit to making any major code changes. Mods breaking along the process is just unfortunately an unavoidable thing that's going to happen while we hammer out this new build.

With that said though, it's also worth noting that the vast, vast majority of changes in 1.5.5 are strictly for the benefit of modders -- there are very few changes to the vanilla game, and the average Stardew Valley player won't even notice anything has changed at all. Under the hood, we've made dozens of very involved changes aimed at essentially giving modders the keys to a lot of things that were previously difficult to mod or required very intricate code hacks to accomplish. Even porting the game to MonoGame was a huge ordeal, but was done (in part) because it had been requested by Pathoschild years ago. We even took the opportunity to target the latest version of .NET and essentially gut the entire audio system and rewrite it in order to open it up to modding in the future. Someone even asked for the ability to become roommates with non-Krobus NPCs, so we spent the a few days making that a system modders will be able to play with in the future.

So long story short, try to be a little patient with us! Truly, it's a weird situation where to casual observers, all that seems to be happening is that we're breaking mods willy nilly, but the truth is that we're working with Pathoschild and the modding community in addressing limitations that've been in the game since launch and giving modders more tools to mess around with so that the community can really thrive and do cool/weird stuff with the game.

There's a semi-public, mostly unannounced beta version of Stardew Valley that we gave modders early access to so that they can prepare for when it launches (it's publicly accessible on Steam). As mentioned before, there aren't any content changes (it's mostly the engine change + a litany of modder facing changes), so there's no real reason to switch to it unless you want to help find bugs (though there haven't been any major fires yet, so it seems like it's mostly stable).

Oh not a knock against you, your team or other modders, more of a knock on myself for not keeping good records of my original 32 bit mod list and the poor timing of updating at the specific point when it would break my game the best.

I could do the rollback to 32 bit but I would need to figure out what mods I downloaded that would also need a rollback. Enough of a pain I'd rather just wait and vent about how dumb I am not making backups of my mod list before making a major change.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Mr. Podunkian posted:

Nice of you to stop by! So cool to hear you guys are in cahoots with pathoschild. I don't think one venting post here says anything about even that posters perception of your dev work. Everyone knows releases might cause issues with code you're not managing, and players who use mods and are thinking about hopping in after a break generally know to stick with the old version for a few days, that guy just unluckily hit the problematic window.

Don't take it too personally, you guys rule. I can't imagine how hard it would be to make the game moddable when that wasn't in the original design scope. Those architecture refactors sound incredibly valuable, difficult to accomplish, and susceptible to all sorts of unknown unknowns. Can't ask for anything more than community engagement and beta branches. <3

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I actually enjoy the fishing mechanic :shrug: I guess the weighted bar that you need to keep 'afloat' just works well with my brain? I don't know, I don't have any problems with it, no matter how I control it, and I've done mouse/keyboard, controller, and touch (on mobile).

Same. Some of the most fun I've had in the game was tracking down all the legendary fish as quick as I could with the lowest possible skill so they'd actually give me a proper fight. I try not to get too grouchy about people who it doesn't click with, because it's clearly a different brains thing rather than a git gud thing.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

100YrsofAttitude posted:

I don't see why he can't camp on the farm. It's just a bit further from the mountains, and it's not like he moves his tent. Depending on the farm it's even more wild than the mountains.

To be fair he does have a sweet spot though.
Linus is probably the most content with their life in the valley. He's doing exactly what he wants to be doing

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

:same:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Trap bobber is probably the best, otherwise the cork one is good to have such a large green bar you hardly have to do anything when at max level.

A good tip for fishing is you want to do a series of controlled taps. Holding down the button won't get you very far. You'll figure out the tempo with practice, it's one of my favorite fishing mini-games because it involves some actual skill which is nice. I've caught an octopus without hitting max too! I just got a bit lucky with the pauses it took and was able to otherwise track it when it went crazy.

I love fishing.

Mr. Podunkian
Feb 28, 2005

welcome to murder city, i'm the mayor

Donkringel posted:

Oh not a knock against you, your team or other modders, more of a knock on myself for not keeping good records of my original 32 bit mod list and the poor timing of updating at the specific point when it would break my game the best.

No sweat at all! I actually realized minutes after posting that effortpost that I had completely misread your post -- I accidentally read it that you were annoyed by the fact that a patch had come out and broken your mods and not that you were annoyed with, as you said, your timing in doing all of this work 30 minutes before a breaking patch, haha.

There is (soon to be "was"?), actually, an unofficial 64-bit version of the game (click "obsolete instructions") that might actually do what you want it to (increased memory without any of the other breaking changes of 1.5.5) -- that's maybe an avenue you can try out for now until 1.5.5 and its mods are a bit more crystallized.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Does anyone actually like using the barbed hook? I love fishing and am great at it, unless there's a barbed hook involved. Then fishing is impossible and I hate it.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Everett False posted:

Does anyone actually like using the barbed hook? I love fishing and am great at it, unless there's a barbed hook involved. Then fishing is impossible and I hate it.

It's only good to fish bad fish, but if hook a tough one you're hosed.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I modded away fishing. No ragrets

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

World Famous W posted:

Linus is probably the most content with their life in the valley. He's doing exactly what he wants to be doing

Also if Linus isn't living where he is he won't be able to help guide and teach Leo as well

leave Linus alone, people, just because you don't understand his life that doesn't mean he's gotta change it

spend your time and energy arguing about who sucks worse, Pierre or Clint, like the rest of us do

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext

Coolguye posted:

you gain huge amounts more XP from actually catching something than you do from trying something hard and failing. get the training rod and go to the forest river south of your farm and right by Leah's cabin. fish there until you are at least level 3 - more is better, if you have the patience for it. in single player, time freezes while you are actively fishing, so you can catch a positively ludicrous amount of fish in a single day if you have the patience for the minigame. if you are just not a fan of the minigame in general (i absolutely am not), you can just buy a bunch of crab pots from willy's shop and toss them in your farm pond.

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me tips! I managed to get a few fishing levels with the training rod sardine tactic + crab pot buys just in time to get me the ice fishing win!

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Getting max level in foraging takes way too goddamn long, there are no more trees for me to cut down and I'm getting the stumps in the Secret Woods every day

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Can't you level foraging off of harvesting seasonal seeds? Usually I fill my fields with winter seeds during that time of year, and foraging levels quickly. And once you max out foraging just get the perk that makes everything iridium quality (which also works for truffles).

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

is there a mod where you can slowly kill off each npc? turning the game into a 'friday the 13th' style slasher where you are the villain, or some sort of murder mystery ala Clue. Send me a pm if there is. i don't want to upset anyone.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Cavauro posted:

is there a mod where you can slowly kill off each npc? turning the game into a 'friday the 13th' style slasher where you are the villain, or some sort of murder mystery ala Clue. Send me a pm if there is. i don't want to upset anyone.

i think lakeview valley would be more your speed

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

chaleski posted:

Getting max level in foraging takes way too goddamn long, there are no more trees for me to cut down and I'm getting the stumps in the Secret Woods every day

Have you considered planting trees? You can do so outside the farm if NPC a don't walk over them. Tree fertiliser is also handy but does require some foraging skill iirc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Organic Lube User posted:

Can't you level foraging off of harvesting seasonal seeds?
this does work

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

chaleski posted:

Seasonal seeds are really quite good at leveling up your foraging, and easily massable. Beach items are a good way to get experience consistently, as well as harvesting the stumps daily from the secret forest. If you have the forest farm that applies too. Winter 1 is a great time to level it up.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah but outside of winter planting seasonal seeds comes at the big opportunity cost of not planting cash crops on those tiles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
I am having flashbacks of shoving horseradishes into seedmakers, and making summer seeds to trade with the desert trader all because I needed to harvest 100 leeks in one spring. *shudder*

But mostly, plant trees (and do it early as they don't grow fast).

Having a stand of mahogany is also useful if you get the collecting hardwood special board quest.