Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

My issue is that maybe it makes more sense to get an SE and hold on to it for two years and upgrade once the health features new design come out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My wallet certainly loves not feeling compelled to upgrade

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

vyst posted:

My wallet certainly loves not feeling compelled to upgrade

Yeah this is like the easiest year to say "nope" to everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I sure hope they're trying something with the AW8. I always used to bitch about Samsung, that they're only being reactive to Apple, but now they've suddenly this BMI sensor and optical blood pressure estimation.

Also, why the gently caress does it take like 45 minutes to copy the 1.2GB WatchOS 8 image to the watch, if it has Wifi?

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Agreed, my 6 can limp along for another year and if the battery life gets to where its less than a day and a half I'll add a SE to the repertoire and rotate them then give them both away to family when I do upgrade

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

So a large SE is not a bad call it sounds like? I only care about timers and general fitness tracking. What’s the cheapest they’ve gone on sale? I have a Target red card but would I have to wait for Black Friday?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dammit, "this fall" is not soon enough! My battery health is down to 79% and I don't feel like paying the out of warranty cost to replace.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

In good Apple tradition, they threw an app called FlickType from the AppStore earlier this year, which happened to be pretty much like their new swiping keyboard on WatchOS 8, down to a T.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

And the reason they explained for getting rid of it was that it was a keyboard on the watch. Lol

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

They are suing apple I think. Should get a decent lump sum out of it

Violator
May 15, 2003

smackfu posted:

And the reason they explained for getting rid of it was that it was a keyboard on the watch. Lol

Ah, but you see, this new Apple flick type keyboard is only on the new Series 7 watches, which having 1mm larger displays means a keyboard is now appropriate for the wrist!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Violator posted:

Ah, but you see, this new Apple flick type keyboard is only on the new Series 7 watches, which having 1mm larger displays means a keyboard is now appropriate for the wrist!

Lol I didn’t realize the keyboard isn’t going to the 6 watches. Not that I want it anyway, but that’s def ridiculous.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

They've basically decided that the 6 is obsolete now in their lineup. Not sure if that's how Apple has always treated their watches but they certainly do that now. :v:

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

They've basically decided that the 6 is obsolete now in their lineup. Not sure if that's how Apple has always treated their watches but they certainly do that now. :v:

Yeah, what I think they’re gearing up now is to have to watch brands: the higher up number version (currently 7) and the lower SE model. The number one will likely get updated more often than the SE.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's wild to me that they're still selling the S3.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

I'm happy that I could get another year or two out of mine if I want to. I'm hoping to find a really good deal on a series 6 before they vanish though

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

LionArcher posted:

So a large SE is not a bad call it sounds like? I only care about timers and general fitness tracking. What’s the cheapest they’ve gone on sale? I have a Target red card but would I have to wait for Black Friday?

I think Black Friday is the best bet and I personally plan on buying an SE then.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

S2 -> S3 was a pretty big shift in power, it still has a a year or two left in the lineup I'd say.

The 8gb storage space is killing it though, updates are a major pain and they're going to have to take some action on that soon.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

I'm happy that I could get another year or two out of mine if I want to. I'm hoping to find a really good deal on a series 6 before they vanish though

Yeah I gave my old 3 to my son and it works just fine for him to track runs and ignore texts, but I’m guessing you wouldn’t go out and actually buy a 3 these days. I find it silly they’re still selling it as well.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Sep 15, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

FCKGW posted:

S2 -> S3 was a pretty big shift in power, it still has a a year or two left in the lineup I'd say.

The 8gb storage space is killing it though, updates are a major pain and they're going to have to take some action on that soon.

Yeah, that's the thing. When you have to reformat the thing for every update because it has so little storage, it's just a bad experience and one I'm surprised Apple is keeping around, particularly since it just looks worse than everything else on the shelf. It's fine that they're still supporting it, but it seems like they could have just streamlined it to SE, S6, and S7, but I guess that would increase the price floor a bit.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

I saw a red series 6 44MM on Walmart for $350 last night. This morning it’s selling for $362. Is that safe to buy since it’s being fulfilled from another distributor? I’ll pay the extra $50 if I can get a chip that lasts a little longer…

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

LionArcher posted:

I saw a red series 6 44MM on Walmart for $350 last night. This morning it’s selling for $362. Is that safe to buy since it’s being fulfilled from another distributor? I’ll pay the extra $50 if I can get a chip that lasts a little longer…

The red Series 6 was on sale for $250 last week, I would personally hold off until Best Buy starts putting them on discount again.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

FCKGW posted:

The red Series 6 was on sale for $250 last week, I would personally hold off until Best Buy starts putting them on discount again.

Okay. I’ll take a breather. I want a watch NOW! But I have a feeling if I wait just a week or two I’ll probably get a good deal on one.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, the red 40mm has been on sale a lot

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

yeah, the red 40mm has been on sale a lot

I want the larger size, but still

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ThermoPhysical posted:

Internally in the metadata, it's still called the Watch6,x.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
We’ll likely see bargain basement 6 deals around Black Friday as they ditch inventory.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Oh hell yeah, deleting all my music and apps and doing a hard reboot let me install watchOS 8 RC on my S3 without un-pairing! :toot:

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

LionArcher posted:

Just a heads up, the S7 has the exact same chip has the S6, so if length of support is the concern go for it. Same storage too.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Ok I'm back, seems like the S7 is a nothing update, should my sig other just get an on-sale S6 and keep on living her life? Am I reading the news right in that S7 just has a slightly larger screen and better battery?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DoesNotCompute posted:

Ok I'm back, seems like the S7 is a nothing update, should my sig other just get an on-sale S6 and keep on living her life? Am I reading the news right in that S7 just has a slightly larger screen and better battery?

Yeah, I’m pretty sure that’s literally it. Kind of crazy.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I was kind of looking for a reason to upgrade my S3, think I'll keep hold of it for another year.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

DoesNotCompute posted:

Faster charging, even. Same battery life, at least as far as the specs go.

The rumor mill was pretty quiet about anything beyond the big wiff on the new housing design, so actually this is sort of where the expectations were (or should have been), tbh.

I’m still gonna upgrade my 3, I think a little bigger screen and fast charging will actually be nice QoL upgrades.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm v tempted to trade my dying battery S4 for an SE and see what next year looks like.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

DoesNotCompute posted:

Unless the remaining stock of AW6 is significantly reduced in price, I'd spend the additional dollaridoos and get the newer watch.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I’m just gonna keep on going with my AW5. Its been amazing. Don’t see a need to get the 7

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My 40 mm Series 5 is only at 82% battery capacity which is enough to last the day if I don’t do a workout. If I do a 30 min run, it will almost make it but I will get the Power Reserve screen. Anything more and it’s definitely dead by bedtime.

So I think a Series 7 is in my future.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Sefal posted:

I’m just gonna keep on going with my AW5. Its been amazing. Don’t see a need to get the 7

Same. I haven’t figured out what the blood oxygen sensor would do for me and it seems like next year there’s more sensor stuff coming if the rumours are to be believed.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

DoesNotCompute posted:

I reading the news right in that S7 just has a slightly larger screen and better battery?

Better battery that charges quicker, bigger screen, it’s brighter in always on mode, and the crystal is tougher so should be harder to crack.

It’s fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

smackfu posted:

My 40 mm Series 5 is only at 82% battery capacity which is enough to last the day if I don’t do a workout. If I do a 30 min run, it will almost make it but I will get the Power Reserve screen. Anything more and it’s definitely dead by bedtime.

So I think a Series 7 is in my future.
Kinda in the same boat battery wise (44mm, 84%), but have AppleCare and some case damage, so will just get a replacement before that runs out.

I was planning on upgrading too, while keeping the S5 around to replace my old S3 that I keep around as a beater workout watch (with tacky/bulky case cause rock climbing)...but I'm cheap and will be buying the new iPad mini, so probably hold off another year generation guess. Maybe as long as the S3 is still on sale and supported.

Yeast posted:

Better battery that charges quicker, bigger screen, it’s brighter in always on mode, and the crystal is tougher so should be harder to crack.

It’s fine
Keyboard and double big rear end complication face is bigger screen only too iirc, forget if there's anything else (besides that other funky looking face along the edge).