Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Hi Newspaper comics thread! I've been lurking in this thread for a while and posting over in the webcomics thread, and thought I might share the love a bit / get the word out about a comic we've been enjoying over there.

For the past 6 months or so I've been translating a Japanese web / print comic by a guy named Maruoka Kuzo called Uramachi Sakaba - it translates to something like "Backstreet Pub" but I couldn't think of a way to translate that that didn't sound kind of dumb so I've left just the title in Japanese. People have described it as "Cyberpunk Cheers" and that's about as perfect a description as you could get, really. Here's the first chapter:

(I'm lazy about translating sound effects and non-plot-critical signage, but I did at least switch to a more-readable font before too very long.)

I've also translated a lot of stuff by Q-Rais of Nekonoughey fame - most of the run of Chako, as well as a couple of longer-form narrative comics he's done / is doing recently, and if people over here are interested I could share those as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Yes pleeeeaaaase I always want more Q-rais content in this thread

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
I follow the webcomic thread pretty much specifically to read Uramachi Sakaba and the other Q-Rais comics you've done, I deeply appreciate what you're doing and, welcome! Happy to have you

Garfield

Heathcliff

Overboard

Monty

For Better or For Worse

Compu-toon

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Rae the Doe is currently on a M-W-F schedule! No comic today!

riderchop fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

B Kliban

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Dinky Dinkerton, Flyin' Jenny, and The Shadow Jan. 11th, 1941

Axa

He's a dick, Axa.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (December 20, 2009)

Arlo and Janis Classic (December 20, 1999)

Garfield Classic (December 20, 1989)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 9/15/01

Endabray Arrstay 3/23/47

Smokey Stover 5/9/43

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Apr. 13, 1947)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Apr. 13, 1947)

Looks like Ulfrun might end up in the stew pot

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Finally the man realises just how dead he is.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
At some point one of his dudes should have escaped with Aleta. Yeah he'd be a traitor, but maybe Val would have given him a quick death instead of this.

The crew should kill the captain, then make Aleta captain, because she has more stones than he does.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Nancy 1946

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

goatface posted:

I used to know an old man with twin hearing aids from crewing artillery in Korea. He said you couldn't stop it, you heard the ringing of your skull.

I can believe it. Like I said, I got permanent hearing loss from hearing one 122mm gun go off a couple dozen meters away. Standing in a continuously firing battery for weeks on end has to be absolutely brutal for your hearing. And hell, your overall health.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

Low-hanging fruit here.

The Family Circus

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Powered Descent posted:

The Family Circus

Stuff like this always baffles me, schools doing things that make no sense like this. If a school lets off early because of an emergency does little Billy just show up unannounced at the front door? Aren't calls made and texts sent and busses notified?
It's like how in a lot of movies and TV shows and comic strips kids are getting the big summer project. What school does that? Nobody wants to deal with a project that takes all summer. Or when summer ends they go back to the same classroom with the same teacher. Presumably these kids moved up on to the next grade? Did schools really work this way when these boomer rear end writers were kids?

Calaveron fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 16, 2021

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Powered Descent posted:

Bizarro

Low-hanging fruit here.

How does Piraro think lap swimming works? Or maybe swimming in general?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Weembles posted:

How does Piraro think lap swimming works? Or maybe swimming in general?

Yeah that guy's lap should be super jacked, not his arm!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cowslips Warren posted:

At some point one of his dudes should have escaped with Aleta.
... How?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Stuff like this always baffles me, schools doing things that make no sense like this. If a school lets off early because of an emergency does little Billy just show up unannounced at the front door? Aren't calls made and texts sent and busses notified?
It's like how in a lot of movies and TV shows and comic strips kids are getting the big summer project. What school does that? Nobody wants to deal with a project that takes all summer. Or when summer ends they go back to the same classroom with the same teacher. Presumably these kids moved up on to the next grade? Did schools really work this way when these boomer rear end writers were kids?

I, a millineal, have definitely been let out of school for various reasons to my parent's surprise a few times between elementary & high school.

Project wise it was mostly summer reading with a book report, though.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Giant Ethicist posted:

Hi Newspaper comics thread! I've been lurking in this thread for a while and posting over in the webcomics thread, and thought I might share the love a bit / get the word out about a comic we've been enjoying over there.

For the past 6 months or so I've been translating a Japanese web / print comic by a guy named Maruoka Kuzo called Uramachi Sakaba - it translates to something like "Backstreet Pub" but I couldn't think of a way to translate that that didn't sound kind of dumb so I've left just the title in Japanese. People have described it as "Cyberpunk Cheers" and that's about as perfect a description as you could get, really. Here's the first chapter:

(I'm lazy about translating sound effects and non-plot-critical signage, but I did at least switch to a more-readable font before too very long.)

I've also translated a lot of stuff by Q-Rais of Nekonoughey fame - most of the run of Chako, as well as a couple of longer-form narrative comics he's done / is doing recently, and if people over here are interested I could share those as well.

Hell yeah! Cyberpunk Cheers owns.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sorry for being late, work has been hell today.

Classic Kevin & Kell in: The Spark (July 28 - August 4, 2003)

This was bound to happen, wasn't it.

Modern Kevin & Kell

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2018 Spiderman

1979 comics

Elsewhere in the paper: OOM PAH PAH

Nut Goodies

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

:3:

Mandrake

Johnny Hazard

90s Overboard

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

This would still be better evidence than the blurry photos of tents that were actually presented.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Calaveron posted:

Gen-X reporting in: in grade school we'd get book reports or a journaling project that most of the students either didn't finish or obviously only started on the week before school restarted.

The same teacher thing is just a gag about how tv shows and comics have limited casts and the kids usually never age. There was a fourth wall gag years ago in Sally Forth where the kids realized that they had just moved up a grade and didn't know how to handle escaping the time loop.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: Lesson on helpfulness (1935/39)

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
I'm really happy the thread is getting more Q-Rais, but is there a chance for some reposts of World's Saddest Bear from anyone? I love Nekonaughey, but geez, that sad bear may be one of the funniest strips I've ever seen in my life.

Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Curtis would have some words to say to Jordan Peterson...

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Gen-X reporting in: in grade school we'd get book reports or a journaling project that most of the students either didn't finish or obviously only started on the week before school restarted.

Another Gen-Xer here: I cannot remember ever having any schoolwork over summer. Although I was a huge dork ("what do you mean, 'was'?") so I usually participated in the library's summer reading club anyway.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

goatface posted:

Finally the man realises just how dead he is.
Yup! If Val doesn't kill him, his crew will.

Haifisch posted:

Nut Goodies

G Gordon Liddy's famous Nut Goodies.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Oh Violet, I thought you learned your lesson.

Mary Worth

Yeah, he's getting a dog. Maybe it will be a terrible one that hates him!

Oh, who am I kidding? All dogs are more good than we deserve.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Oh shut up, Sarah.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Murdstone fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 16, 2021

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
The MiniSec Ecocide Museum

2008 (February 4-8)

Way to stick it to the freegans, I guess.

2011 demonstrates the art of using a bazooka as a fly swatter, while Kranti shows us that she's got a poker face like Fred Goldman hearing "Not guilty." (March 7-11)

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Calaveron posted:

I definitely remember things like this happening in the days before cell phones became common.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Murdstone posted:

Oh Violet, I thought you learned your lesson.

Bees before HOAs

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!

Haifisch posted:

Footrot Flats

lmao, love that dog

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Vargo posted:

Curtis would have some words to say to Jordan Peterson...

There is something weirdly Don Martin about Diane in these reruns

POIT

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

The Bloop posted:

There is something weirdly Don Martin about Diane in these reruns

POIT
It's weird to see people recognize that the brother is being a bratty little terror and Curtis is just fine and chill.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Schwarzwald posted:

I definitely remember things like this happening in the days before cell phones became common.

Also like hell I’d go straight home. I’d gently caress around and just go home at the normal time and erase the tape machine. Folks would be at work anyways.

Why yes I did get in trouble a lot why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Ardeem posted:

Another Gen-X report: no summer projects were assigned to us, ever. Not even once. And this was in Phoenix, where presumably the Keanes also got educated, so I'd say Jeff's just rolling with the old comics trope rather than drawing on personal experience.