Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Jakabite posted:

Thanks dude, really appreciate this! There were a couple of instances of seeing cool wildlife (just squirrels and butterflies really) but with a GoPro it feels impossible to get a good shot of anything far away - I’m still experimenting, so I’m not sure if that’s just because the screen is TINY or the lack of zoom really is that much of a hindrance even at high resolution. I don’t really want to get into digital zooming - everything I’ve read says that if you’re actually going to get good, you should avoid it like the plague.

I’m looking to do more stuff that features other people. In truth, that’s what really interests me. It’s hard to know where the line is - it can feel rude to just be like yo can I film you. I think you just have to do it though. There’s a guy here who goes round and dances to tunes from an old Walkman for/at people at outdoor seating. I’m not even sure if it’s for money, I’ve never seen him ask. So I think tonight I might try and find him and ask if he minds if I film him doing his thing and people’s reactions. Stuff like that is what I really want to do.

In the longer term I’m looking at making some short documentaries (and eventually long ones I suppose). I met a Romani guy who’d just done a 14 year stretch for a crime he wouldn’t disclose to me at a party a week ago, and we got quite hosed up together and he was a pretty interesting guy. Also was deeply hurt when I said I’d walked in and immediately thought ‘loving hell that guy is massive and quite scary’. I mentioned my new career to him and he said he might be down to work together, so I’m hoping my first proper work is a sort of short participatory ethnography into Romani people in Transylvania - the racism against them here is just as bad if not worse than the U.K., so it would be nice to show people the other side. (Shock: people are just people and probably some are assholes and some are cool, who knew)

I'd be super interested in that. My mum's paternal grandad was Romani from somewhere in Romania but he changed his name as soon as he got here and took his wife's surname so he's impossible to trace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Guavanaut posted:

He stumbles upon a valid point that during paedogeddon there was a big confusion about what exactly the law was supposed to be doing wrt child protection, and a bit like how we can't ever agree whether prison should be for segregation, rehabilitation, or punishment, so it ends up being poo poo at all of them, we can't agree on how best to minimize the actual harm and exploitation of children and so end up lashing out in wild directions, but there must be a thousand better ways to say that while sounding like less of a nonce.

You're being too kind here, there's a reason Rod Liddle walks like a nonce and quacks like a nonce, and it's not because he's a duck.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Thanks dude, really appreciate this! There were a couple of instances of seeing cool wildlife (just squirrels and butterflies really) but with a GoPro it feels impossible to get a good shot of anything far away - I’m still experimenting, so I’m not sure if that’s just because the screen is TINY or the lack of zoom really is that much of a hindrance even at high resolution. I don’t really want to get into digital zooming - everything I’ve read says that if you’re actually going to get good, you should avoid it like the plague.

Yeah, a gopro is never going to work for that kind of thing, and the problem is as teeny tiny sensors have got better and better, meaning action cameras and phones now have performance that puts 10-15 year old pro-grade DSLRs to shame, there's very little market for cheaper DSLR or even toy/compact cameras with a good sensor *and* proper optics and a viewfinder which is absolutely what you need for that sort of thing.

Now I'm looking at the replaceable lens on my gopro and wondering just how well it might work if I were to stick it in the focal plane of one of my old film SLRs, because that seems like something that - if it could be made to work - would be really loving useful for bridging that gap. Off to waste another month of my life loving about with my 3D printer!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Rod Liddle -> Ol' Diddler

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Umbra Dubium posted:

You're being too kind here, there's a reason Rod Liddle walks like a nonce and quacks like a nonce, and it's not because he's a duck.
Yeah his later "I shouldn't be allowed to be a teacher because I'd have sex with children I was in a position of trust over" piece is more explicit on that ground, there just might be a slither of topical thinking about Pete Townshend, where serious child protection law becomes morality law, and how intent and liability is governed in the online world hidden somewhere in that one beneath all the noncing.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, a gopro is never going to work for that kind of thing, and the problem is as teeny tiny sensors have got better and better, meaning action cameras and phones now have performance that puts 10-15 year old pro-grade DSLRs to shame, there's very little market for cheaper DSLR or even toy/compact cameras with a good sensor *and* proper optics and a viewfinder which is absolutely what you need for that sort of thing.

Now I'm looking at the replaceable lens on my gopro and wondering just how well it might work if I were to stick it in the focal plane of one of my old film SLRs, because that seems like something that - if it could be made to work - would be really loving useful for bridging that gap. Off to waste another month of my life loving about with my 3D printer!

And of course after ten seconds of experimentation I realised it couldn't possibly work because of the spherical optics - I *could*, theoretically, strip the camera all the way down to put just the sensor in the plane but even then it probably wouldn't work because it would be so hard to keep such a small target properly aligned, and would also have the effect of turning even the widest-angle lens into a monster telephoto because of how small an area it would cover.

I'm a little surprised nobody does replacement backs for like an OM10 a Pentax K-series to turn them into digital cameras because that would be useful as hell, but again I suppose it's only useful to old bastards like me with a shitload of big old SLR lenses that really doesn't want to have to pay 700 quid for a half-decent body to put them on.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Yeah it feels a bit all-or-nothing, particularly on the video side of things. I’ve just shelled out for a low-professional high-consumer grade camcorder and it did hurt but ultimately I think if you’re gonna be doing it you gotta spend the money. Unfortunately there’s a major shortage so I’m looking at 4 weeks for it to be delivered. Can’t wait.

GoPro is a magical bit of kit but if you’re going to make good videos you really need a main camera that it can complement. That said it has actually outperformed my expectations. The mic with the media mod is not bad at all, and it’s so unobtrusive that you can plonk it down on a table or something and everyone soon forgets it’s there.

I fully support your efforts to mod the poo poo out of a GoPro anyhow, even if im still a bit clueless on what exactly you’re up to.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1438498911975456774

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

Yeah it feels a bit all-or-nothing, particularly on the video side of things. I’ve just shelled out for a low-professional high-consumer grade camcorder and it did hurt but ultimately I think if you’re gonna be doing it you gotta spend the money. Unfortunately there’s a major shortage so I’m looking at 4 weeks for it to be delivered. Can’t wait.

GoPro is a magical bit of kit but if you’re going to make good videos you really need a main camera that it can complement. That said it has actually outperformed my expectations. The mic with the media mod is not bad at all, and it’s so unobtrusive that you can plonk it down on a table or something and everyone soon forgets it’s there.

I fully support your efforts to mod the poo poo out of a GoPro anyhow, even if im still a bit clueless on what exactly you’re up to.

I have half a dozen cameras like this:

and more particularly a fuckload of K-mount lenses picked up at car boot sales, and a relatively old Pentax DSLR which sort-of does video but really gives way, way worse results than even my Hero 7, let alone the almost supernatural quality of the later models. Basically I want some magical way of making the former work with the latter, especially as Ricoh (who own Pentax) aren't interested in video at all - there's boring technical reasons why it's really, really hard to make a "proper" DSLR do video well, all of which are fixed in software by the GoPro.

(Of course part of the reason I still cling to my old 70s SLRs is that they're so much sturdier *and* lighter than modern digitals - you could use that K1000 to drive in a nail and it'd still keep working quite happily. This is completely broken if I have a tumescent 3D printed abomination hanging off the back to get video but I still feel like there's some hipster cred (and money) to be tapped into there...)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If you can find an old Canon DSLR that does video on eBay, they have a relatively simple free program on their website that turns it into a pretty high quality webcam.

I have a Nikon and unfortunately there is no such free program, or at least not that I know of.

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 16, 2021

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Not to mention that old SLR cameras are just so drat sexy. I think if you could graft something onto a GoPro to get the best of both worlds you’d have hordes of videophiles/people with too much money snapping your hand off.

You’re not wrong on the supernatural quality of the new GoPros - I got a Hero 9 and gently caress me the video looks absolutely bananas. The auto-stabilisation is ludicrously good as well.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

the sex ghost posted:

This all made me remember the thin blue line, perhaps the all time example of 'awful show with catchy theme tune'. Still find myself whistling it when I'm taking the bins out or other menial tasks

The thin blue line had an episode in which the police undergo racism awareness training, none of them give a poo poo, and then they immediately arrest the first innocent black dude they see. Which I think makes it the most realistic police show the BBC have done.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Labour are a catastrophe of a party

https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1438536087190872067?s=21

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1438556908827381760

RIP Sir Clive, who never had an internet connection because he considered it a pointless distraction, truly the hero our times needed.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
AAAaaahhh does anyone under 50 understand these stupid measuring systems?

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1438548409636556800

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The thin blue line had an episode in which the police undergo racism awareness training, none of them give a poo poo, and then they immediately arrest the first innocent black dude they see. Which I think makes it the most realistic police show the BBC have done.

The Cops did a decent job of showing police as badly flawed people, many of whom had a thick streak of racism.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

keep punching joe posted:

AAAaaahhh does anyone under 50 understand these stupid measuring systems?

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/1438548409636556800

So we can weight all the food we don't have in lbs and oz.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

can't wait for the inevitable social regression that leads to my imbalanced humours being treated with leeches and trepanning

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Cooking in 2022

Cooking in 2024

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I just spent two and a half hours trying to explain the concept of a gap count to someone at work and I am ready to kill indiscriminately.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

RIP Sir Clive, who never had an internet connection because he considered it a pointless distraction, truly the hero our times needed.

Aw, loved my Spectrum +2 back in the day. The tape player was *attached*.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

For gently caress's sake, God, you're meant to be omniscient. When I ask you to smite that beardy oval office who made Spectrums, I don't expect to have to be more specific.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have now watched jakabite's video and I am working down to specific killing or indiscriminate maiming.

That's a great little vid IMO, as other have said nice camerawork and timing.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

So we can weight all the food we don't have in lbs and oz.

Let's redefine the Foot based on the Queen's actual foot and then I'm all in.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Your regular reminder that ACAB:

https://twitter.com/ayocaesar/status/1438538530670665729?s=21

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What if the queen has two different sized feet?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

What if the queen has two different sized feet?

The left foot is the devil's foot, obviously.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I just spent two and a half hours trying to explain the concept of a gap count to someone at work and I am ready to kill indiscriminately.
Wasn't that the thing in the 18th century where young aristos swanned around Europe in their early 20s?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I see the police enforcement of Imperial measures has begun already.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Let's redefine the Foot based on the Queen's actual foot and then I'm all in.

That bloke who broke into the queen's bedroom in the early 80s was just trying to measure her feet once and for all so we can have a proper measurement system in this country.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

phew at least the IOPC is on the case

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Do you think Boris's next achievement will be de-decimalizing the currency?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I suspect not if only because I don't believe most of the people who harp on about it actually understand it either.

Hogsheads and furlongs are one thing but nobody knows how loving shillings work.

Ahoy guvnor thy hundredweight of pease pudding shall come to three florins, a doubloon hapenny and a farthing thankee.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 16, 2021

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What the gently caress is the pounds and ounces thing for? Even my grandma in her 80's uses kg.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The spoons to cup ratios in that image seem all hosed up

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because it is a meaningless policy that only raging nutcases will care about but which they will shout about endlessly. It is as meaningful as the blue passports.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I’ll put money (old or new) that even JRM doesn’t understand old currency and weights properly. Just loves the idea, like his poo poo Latin.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Ehhhh I dunno. I'd still rather have an old DSLR vs a camera sensor. There's only so much you can make up for having a bigger sensor and proper optics. Up until late 2018 I was using a fixed-lens DSLR from 2003, which cost something like £200 at the time, with a ~4mp sensor and a 10x zoom lens, and still getting much better photos than my fancy 12MP smartphone camera.

That said I have since upgraded to a fancy (second-hand) Sony a6500 which just blows it out of the water. It has twice the megapixels of my phone camera but really once you get past like 10 or so, for most people it doesn't matter, it's the optics, interchangeable lenses and larger sensor which make the difference.

Phone cameras are absolutely incredible for what they are though. Did you know Apple has (had?) 800 people working on their iPhone camera? Mental.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

I seem to remember it will keep the same weapon as the darkness boost until you clear with it, but that could very much be wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pounds, pence and shillings sure, but then there are guineas and what the gently caress are they for?