Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

WA state trauma centers are full so avoid bad car accidents and such for a little while if possible

will make sure to only have good car accidents moving forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I wanna know where all the best suckin and fuckin is at :shrug:

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

they're not wrong that vaccines are still effective 6-8 months later, because you'll still clearly spin up antibodies when exposed

you just won't have them circulating already, meaning instead of crushing it immediately you get sick and potentially spread it around for a bit before your immune system can finally crush it

considering there isn't exactly a supply crunch in this country it should be pretty obvious that in terms of public health outcomes, boosters to keep antibodies circulating is as many people as possible is a zero downside all upside thing lol

Non-expert "thoughts" incoming: getting infected with SAR-COV-2 is a race between the immune system and virus. If the immune system crushes the virus quickly, due to high vaccine-induced antibody levels (adults) or apparently high innate immunity (children), then it's not such a big deal. The longer the immune system takes the more time the virus gets to spread and potentially induce a maladapted immune response. People who get severe COVID often generate neutralizing antibodies just fine, they only do it later than usual. Severe COVID itself might not be so much due to the virus as the immune system after getting messed up by the virus (a technical term).

The point is that when infected the race cannot be close, it needs to be a one-sided rout by the immune system. You don't want to wait for your vaccine-induced neutralizing antibodies to "spin-up" again, they need to be there the moment the virus shows up. Otherwise it's rolling the dice on the virus screwing up your immune response. Maybe permanently, who knows! You'll likely be kept out of the hospital, but there's a not insignificant chance of not being able to hold down a normal job again. Being poor in America is terrible for your long-term health.

In this light the focus of the CDC+FDA on severe breakthrough cases requiring hospitalization has been disastrous, as they've been blind to the potentially debilitating long-term impact of even a normal breakthrough infection. There is a real public and national interest in not just reducing hospitalizations but keeping people's antibody levels as high as feasible in order to minimize long-term disease burden. Booster shots cost essentially nothing in comparison.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

A funny thing happened during this last 'wave' if you look at the regular graph of daily reported US cases instead of the averaged/smoothed graph:

OOPS ALL CRAZY SPIKES & SUDDEN DROPS ALL THE TIME :v:

i think that's an artifact of some states switching to report only once or twice a week. so the raw number of cases per day has big peaks when they drop cases, and then big drops where they aren't reporting

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
um, no, sorry, I have been planning to have my car-crash themed wedding in washington for months, I can't just refund everything. We're just going to ask that everyone brings their own jaws of life and pinky swears that they are vaccinated before we begin ramming our vehicles into one another violently in celebration of my budding nuptials.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
How are non-COVID death numbers looking. Are those staying pretty consistent or are they going up disproportionately as well?

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

mod sassinator posted:

there was a good point made that you can look at deaths per day and number added to hospital to get an idea of what's happening. right now more people are dying than the number in the hospital is decreasing each day. so hidden inside there is the fact that more people are coming into the hospital still, but the die off of this first wave of hospitalized people is hiding the increase and making it look like a net negative

once the number leaving hospital is higher than the number dying, then it's on the real down slope of the wave

yeah. the down slope of the wave right now is pretty clearly we're not testing enough.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Pillowpants posted:

I know this thread moves fast - but is anyone reading the state by state roundups I post?

yeah i skim them and always look at the illinois one as well as a few surrounding states

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

The Cut of Your Jib posted:

"man cold"

for sale: second shipment of Get Well cookies. Never used

*~ TACTICAL COLD PROVISIONS ~*

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Zurtilik posted:

How are non-COVID death numbers looking. Are those staying pretty consistent or are they going up disproportionately as well?

I think excess mortality is pretty much entirely due to COVID based on the few graphs that have been posted itt.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Louisgod posted:

will make sure to only have good car accidents moving forward.

Sorry sorry reading further here it also says dont make out with strangers after good car accidents :smith:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

WA state trauma centers are full so avoid bad car accidents and such for a little while if possible

There was a bad accident on Coal Creek Parkway in Newcastle WA yesterday that resulted in serious injuries and had the road closed for 5 hours. The only thing I could think about was 'I'm probably gonna hear these people died because the hospital had no room'. Same goes for the Winco employee who got shot in the chest the other day for not selling a drunk guy more hooch.

Lacrosse fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 16, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Wait, have they seriously not approved booster shots yet?

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Zurtilik posted:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Thoguh posted:

This seems like a good idea until you remember things like "You should wear an N95 mask" and "Breakthrough cases exist" were considered misinformation up until like two weeks ago.

the cdc high ups and fauci should be jailed

the fact this chart actually starts at 0 on the y axis is kind of insane

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Yeah when I worked in retail they said to refuse alcohol to people if they seemed drunk already and my only thought was "I'm not loving with some shambling day drinker."

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Gripweed posted:

lmao nope. only for immunocompromised people right now, and it is entirely up to the whims and attitude and feeling of power of the pharmicist to decide if you really are immunocompromised

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo
so in israel it looks like no matter what data they put out, the overall picture gets worse and worse even as they boost everyone, wtf

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

poll plane variant posted:

so in israel it looks like no matter what data they put out, the overall picture gets worse and worse even as they boost everyone, wtf

its their unvaxxed driving that up (with vaxxed unboosted contributing to spread), the recent FT charts show this

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

mod sassinator posted:

lmao nope. only for immunocompromised people right now, and it is entirely up to the whims and attitude and feeling of power of the pharmicist to decide if you really are immunocompromised

why are the pharmacists being weird about it this time, you could lie on the website previously and say you were a nurse or whatever and no one even asked

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

Last month, Dyehouse called Gov. Andy Beshear a “liberal lunatic” after the Democratic governor ordered mask wearing in schools to combat a coronavirus surge caused by the delta variant.

The Republican-dominated legislature scrapped a statewide mask mandate for public schools and imposed a ban on any statewide mask rules until June 2023.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
This is covid deaths, I cropped out the selection boxes.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Sorry sorry reading further here it also says dont make out with strangers after good car accidents :smith:

no deal, it's the only way I can meet people these days

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

why are the pharmacists being weird about it this time, you could lie on the website previously and say you were a nurse or whatever and no one even asked

because they paid a lot of money to go to school and now they are faced with a question that requires some of that knowledge (what condition is immunocompromised) and they are going to spin into high gear to work the problem and feel important

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Heres a look at what its like currently in a Seattle hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcE6DGkAvg

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

mod sassinator posted:

i think that's an artifact of some states switching to report only once or twice a week. so the raw number of cases per day has big peaks when they drop cases, and then big drops where they aren't reporting

Yeah it's pretty freaky how we have a really clear visual representation of a whole bunch of states deciding to stop caring about timely reporting all at the same time

:eyepop:

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Gripweed posted:

That would interfere with the population cull, so no

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
https://twitter.com/GillianBNews/status/1438513456815038472?s=20

I hate how the reporter just uncritically repeats "This is not an anti-mask protest" when it is in fact clearly an anti-mask protest.

Zeriel
Nov 6, 2004

:trumppop:

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Lastgirl posted:

lock zuckerberg up unironically

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

They have a bit more than 60% of their population vaxxed. but if you don't take one vaccine you're also not getting three. And of course their not vaccinating the Palestinians.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
and I'm All out of Ass

Death By The Blues posted:

Heres a look at what its like currently in a Seattle hospital:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJcE6DGkAvg

the stupid loving thing about this is that the reporters are just chirpy and unmasked and standing right next to each other to give the "everything is back to normal!!" vibe.. it's ridiculous

loving put the reporters back in their badly lit homes with kids ruining the shots. make people snap out of it and realize oh this isn't normal... maybe i shouldn't go out to the restaurants and bars and movie theaters and sports games tonight

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I know lots of people are forced to go to work when sick because they don't have sick leave, but I don't understand the people who keep coming in to work even when do have sick days available to them and they're sick

Like, I get so much as a sniffle I take a day off

Because I don't like working and I could use the excuse!

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Thoguh posted:

I hate how the reporter just uncritically repeats "This is not an anti-mask protest" when it is in fact clearly an anti-mask protest.

"We aren't pro-slavery, we're pro-states rights."

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I've noticed a lot of people on the 4 day dead list being in the ED and not on a proper floor. I'm sure it's just a huge amount of gunshot wounds and car accidents and not people just slowly drowning in the ED for days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

More than 20% of the worldwide deaths from covid yesterday (according to WOM) were in the US. Very impressive.

Despite making up only 4.25% of the population,