Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Who cares about drop rates, I want to ask the important/probably answered questions like is loot instanced or are we all gonna wipe again on Duriel because we stopped attacking and are clicking the ground? Drop rates don't matter when the bots get all the good stuff.

Can friendships still be ruined or did they patch it out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Loot is not instanced. I think they did fix duriel, right? I didn't play act 2 in the beta.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

MrSargent posted:

From what I have read, Diablo 2 Resurrected is primarily being worked on by Vicarious Visions (under Blizzard) and are not the same group that did the WC3 remaster. Vicarious also did the Tony Hawk Pro Skater remake which was really well done. I get the concern based on how lovely the WC3 remake was but I have a bit more confidence in this group to make sure D2R is done right.

I am not too concerned about ladder not being available on day one. But I think they should have at least given us a target date for when ladder would be released. I think that would have been the right move to address concerns people have based on WC3.

Most of it was done by the d4 team actually, VV was only brought in relatively recently. I'm guessing that most of what we have seen (eg the act 1/2 and new character art and so on) is stuff the d4 team worked on. Presumably act 3/4 and the remaining characters are all VV.

and yeah it can't be the wc3 team, they were disbanded and fired/restructured lol

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Who cares about drop rates, I want to ask the important/probably answered questions like is loot instanced or are we all gonna wipe again on Duriel because we stopped attacking and are clicking the ground? Drop rates don't matter when the bots get all the good stuff.

Can friendships still be ruined or did they patch it out?

i know i'm critical of a lot, but og d2 looting where you might just yoink some poo poo out from under a soon-to-be-former friend is unironically a huge plus

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 15, 2021

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

One thing I miss about D2 not having smart-loot, is finding a cool piece for another class and thinking “oooohhh, I should play a whatever because a dope whatever weapon just dropped.” You can’t still do that in D3, but it’s few and far between.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

chaosapiant posted:

One thing I miss about D2 not having smart-loot, is finding a cool piece for another class and thinking “oooohhh, I should play a whatever because a dope whatever weapon just dropped.” You can’t still do that in D3, but it’s few and far between.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

i know i'm critical of a lot, but og d2 looting where you might just yoink some poo poo out from under a soon-to-be-former friend is unironically a huge plus

Both of these are important to og d2 imo

gently caress I wanna play right now. I've been trying to remember my first necros name and its giving me such great flashbacks to random parts of the world

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 15, 2021

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

chaosapiant posted:

Right before my plugy save imploded I'd dropped a rib cracker and was all excited to make a druid cuz of it.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I had fun emoting "IST RUNE" in the mob of monsters during Baal runs, or emoting "owowowowowowowowow" while standing in the lightning of the Horadric Staff while it blasts a hole to Duriel's lair.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

I feel like falling for bullshit like that one time is a right of passage in D2.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
any decent rune i ever got in my entire life was thru rushing ppl for their hellforge. i made a peice of poo poo tri-element sorc just for the task. template filled out at like level 94 or something. trash character lol.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

My old friend still jokes about it how we'd join games with people looking for someone to park to transfer their stuff and we'd just take it and go. It was always poo poo tier stuff but still.

Never forget joining a cow game late and checking anyway, and finding an unid unique ring among the loot. Bul-kathos wedding band. Then, in another game with my original bowazon who I'd only managed to level to 89 somehow as a fuckin kid with nothing to do who could play all the time, I died and then popped and lost everything save my loving buriza which someone gave back to me. I remember going upstairs (because of course I was in my parents basement) and telling my parents I was done with the game. Naturally they complained about how much I played it.

The game almost evokes the smell of that basement for me sometimes, where we had insect troubles so my friends and me would refer to it as the maggot lair.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

My old friend still jokes about it how we'd join games with people looking for someone to park to transfer their stuff and we'd just take it and go. It was always poo poo tier stuff but still.

Never forget joining a cow game late and checking anyway, and finding an unid unique ring among the loot. Bul-kathos wedding band. Then, in another game with my original bowazon who I'd only managed to level to 89 somehow as a fuckin kid with nothing to do who could play all the time, I died and then popped and lost everything save my loving buriza which someone gave back to me. I remember going upstairs (because of course I was in my parents basement) and telling my parents I was done with the game. Naturally they complained about how much I played it.

The game almost evokes the smell of that basement for me sometimes, where we had insect troubles so my friends and me would refer to it as the maggot lair.

Best game ever.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

codo27 posted:

Oh man I'm pretty sure playing d2 so much in my younger days taught me how to spot spear phishing. So many attempts to get people to pop or steal their stuff.

manpurse
Mar 19, 2007
I remember trading an un id’d wind force for 40x 40/15ias gems that’s when I beat the game

Coolspaz
Feb 26, 2004
And so it came to pass, and so it was told, quoth the raven "never more"
I remember I had a friend with a high level necro pre LOD (maybe 70? was that pretty high pre LOD?) who got scammed and lost all his items to the fill your inventory with ears equip X and loot your corpse then kill him and the everything would drop since he didn't have inventory space for it and lost everything. it was amazing how hard he nerd raged at his stupidity.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Worst I had was got scammed out of a bartuc claw they swapped with something else during trade and I didn't check it.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I was playing with two older guys my brother knew and I snatched up an eth shako off of meph when they killed him. Someone stole it from me later in a trade with some kinda hack

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

External Organs posted:

Maybe I'm just being overly optimistic, but I think the sheer amount of asset creation that went into completely revamping the look of a previously sprite based game tells me they're open to doing more and cooler poo poo with it in the future. Although it does raise questions about blizzard competing with itself in regards to diablo 4. Alternately, make cool diablo 2 poo poo and be comfortable making d4 a 2024/5 release or whatever.

this is my logic for why activision may actually put in effort for D2R--those assets weren't cheap to make, and they might as well get some value from it. but, idk. i'm sure the bean-counters' perspective is if a game doesn't have microtransactions built into it, it's not worth supporting.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The worst part is they probably negated the ability to do a lot more in terms of QOL and stuff by keeping that stupid graphics switch everybody will use exactly once then never again except by accident.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

codo27 posted:

The worst part is they probably negated the ability to do a lot more in terms of QOL and stuff by keeping that stupid graphics switch everybody will use exactly once then never again except by accident.

Switch is there so you can make yourself feel better for spending $40 on 20 year old game

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Yeah even during just a couple day of playing the beta I was accustomed to the new graphics, then I’d hit that toggle and realize how much worse they used to be.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

codo27 posted:

Like what? I don’t think that stackable or refillable potions for example would ruin the graphics toggle, especially when they’ve already added stuff like the miss indicator.

I think there’s just a lot of purists out there - including the dev team - who believe that any change to the balance will ruin the secret sauce.

Starks fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Sep 16, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Starks posted:

Like what? I don’t think that stackable or refillable potions for example would ruin the graphics toggle, especially when they’ve already added stuff like the miss indicator.

I think there’s just a lot of purists out there - including the dev team - who believe that any change to the balance will ruin the secret sauce.
I'm hoping their approach is "here's a minimal changes version on launch" followed by "we heard the community; here are a bunch of cool changes" after a bit.

If I want to play current d2 I can always play non-resurrected. If I want to play an older patch I can always load up that patch. D2 changed so much over its life that anyone who is a purist makes no sense. Especially when multiple private servers have shown you can in fact make a number of changes & the game stays just as good or arguably gets better.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

codo27 posted:

I was playing with two older guys my brother knew and I snatched up an eth shako off of meph when they killed him. Someone stole it from me later in a trade with some kinda hack

(Dumb newbie question) what exactly are eth variations of a weapon?

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Eth means ethereal, aka it cant be repaired so once its durability gets low you put it on a merc (mercs dont use item durability)

Khorne posted:

I'm hoping their approach is "here's a minimal changes version on launch" followed by "we heard the community; here are a bunch of cool changes"

They'll neverrr change poo poo up post launch

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 16, 2021

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Sand Monster posted:

(Dumb newbie question) what exactly are eth variations of a weapon?
When eth items run out of durability they break forever. You can't repair them. They look translucent and cool, and they have higher base damage or have higher base armor points. Eth is mostly a negative except for mercenary stuff because mercenary gear never loses durability & except for certain runewords/uniques/rares where they either can't break or they recharge durability over time.

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

They'll neverrr change poo poo up post launch
If I were buying d2r I'd buy it based on the launch feature set & not any future hopes. There's a decent chance I won't buy it at launch and will wait until things settle & we see what they intend to do.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Sep 16, 2021

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

bawfuls posted:

Yeah even during just a couple day of playing the beta I was accustomed to the new graphics, then I’d hit that toggle and realize how much worse they used to be.

They were fine for the time but they don't scale well with higher resolutions.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So since the next attack bug is still there and presumably never going to be fixed, does that mean we just use something else? Is Sacrifice a viable primary attack?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Can eth items be used in runewords? Wait, can you find base items that are both eth and socketed? Was there a way to distinguish them on the ground in the beta?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

codo27 posted:

Can eth items be used in runewords? Wait, can you find base items that are both eth and socketed? Was there a way to distinguish them on the ground in the beta?
Not familiar with beta. In the unmodified base game you'd have to pick them up to know iirc. But yes, you can have eth and sockets.

crondaily
Nov 27, 2006

codo27 posted:

Yes eth insight and eth fortitude are very popular for mercs. Also, the runewords exile and breath of the dying are built for eth items.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Khorne posted:

Not familiar with beta. In the unmodified base game you'd have to pick them up to know iirc. But yes, you can have eth and sockets.

I meant is it something they fixed in the new game, I know it was dumb in the original. Cause of course everyone knows the only colors known to man are white, gray, blue, green, yellow and orange

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
what does your heart tell you

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

https://twitter.com/PezRadar/status/1438551858960736292

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

It is so odd which bugs this dev team has decided to fix and which they haven't. there must be something about NHAM that makes it harder to fix and they're just using "Original Game Experience" as an excuse not to fix it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Is that Trapsin bug the one that was discussed a few pages ago about certain traps preventing the spawn of unique monsters?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

bawfuls posted:

It is so odd which bugs this dev team has decided to fix and which they haven't. there must be something about NHAM that makes it harder to fix and they're just using "Original Game Experience" as an excuse not to fix it.
NHAM is in a part of the code that's very hard to edit and will likely impact a bunch of unrelated stuff. I made some post about it earlier in the thread.

I find it more offensive they fixed switching weapons cancelling anims & fixed ebug armors instead of embracing both as mechanics.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 16, 2021

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Sand Monster posted:

Is that Trapsin bug the one that was discussed a few pages ago about certain traps preventing the spawn of unique monsters?

yeah

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Did they fix the Andy quest drop every time bug? I could see people getting mad about that one too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Suburban Dad posted:

Did they fix the Andy quest drop every time bug? I could see people getting mad about that one too.
No. I don't think they are fixing duriel quest drop bug either which takes a bit more effort to trigger. I doubt they are changing that you can get quest drops everytime if you join a game with a completed quest while yours is incomplete either.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2021