Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corrigenda
Aug 17, 2015

"Your heart's desire is to be told some mystery. The mystery is that there is no mystery."
Nap Ghost

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished my first combination resin head/plastic body today. The difference in detail is phenomenal.

Looks great, great job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Slugworth posted:

So did he spray the whole model the color of the decal, place the decals, paint, and then remove the decal?

I imagine you could also hold the decal in place with a brush or something while spraying over/around it.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Finished my first combination resin head/plastic body today. The difference in detail is phenomenal.

That's great work!

So I sprayed a model with hairspray for chipping and immediately got distracted for a few days (or a week). Will the hairspray still work at this point or do I need another layer?

Also, EE's gorgeous Ryefield Pz. IV inspired me, so I ordered their M1A2 with interior. I am very excited for this kit and I to gently caress each other up.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Slugworth posted:

So did he spray the whole model the color of the decal, place the decals, paint, and then remove the decal?

Or traced the decal onto tape and masked with the tape cut to shape after painting the decal color.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-1_JwlHO-8

1:3 is a scale right?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
Two attempts at the same kit, ten years apart. I think I got better.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what kit is that? looks great

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

what kit is that? looks great

The 1993 Zvezda T-34, an old and awful kit that has since been replaced in production by a much better one.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Holy poo poo.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
Proper pics of the tank:

Full album: https://imgur.com/gallery/CuwNzPs

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Nice work, and nice photography!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

those are some nice colors. what was your process?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

punishedkissinger posted:

those are some nice colors. what was your process?

Vallejo Russian Green primer
Vallejo Black Green in the dark bits
A very thin coat of Vallejo Khaki Gray
Humbrol enamel dark green wash
Brown/ochre pigments plus Humbrol dust wash (then pigments over the wash since it came on way too heavy and wouldn't come out).

This was my first time using either Humbrol product, seems to have worked out alright.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

This is part of the instructions for the M1A2 I'm building. The T series parts are transparent.

Section D has a callout for a gunmetal-ish color for the machine gun that goes into an assembly that would be colored by the basecoat.

I'm curious what others' procedure are for sections like these. Do you just assemble everything, prime/spray it all, then brush paint or mask? I know there are different ways to approach it, but I'm trying to decide what will be most efficient. I spent an hour or so masking off parts of the gun breech with tape and putty and it definitely did not feel efficient.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Imgur's quick links suck. You have to copy the image URL directly and paste it into the timg tags.

For the scope on the gun, I'd leave it off until you'd painted the rest of the subassembly, then glue it on and detail by hand.

Overall, I'd just do the whole subassembly without painting, stick it on the turret, basecoat the whole thing, and then brush paint the gun later. You might need to rock the gun around a little bit to make sure you've got the base of it fully painted.

I like to paint my vision blocks over with white or a sky blue, so they stand out, but I also like my models to look pretty cartoony. Some folks will paint the housings with a lighter color and leave the vision blocks untouched. It's largely a matter of preference, rather than efficiency.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Suzaku posted:

Or traced the decal onto tape and masked with the tape cut to shape after painting the decal color.

I'd assume something like this.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug
I try to glue transparent parts in only after everything is painted. If you need to paint a section of the transparent part, I will brush paint it separately from the rest of the kit.

Specifically for the scope it looks like it might not be too difficult to mask off the ends. Worst case scenario, dip a q-tip into some alcohol and rub off the paint that went over the lens.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Vorenus posted:

This is part of the instructions for the M1A2 I'm building. The T series parts are transparent.

Section D has a callout for a gunmetal-ish color for the machine gun that goes into an assembly that would be colored by the basecoat.

I'm curious what others' procedure are for sections like these. Do you just assemble everything, prime/spray it all, then brush paint or mask? I know there are different ways to approach it, but I'm trying to decide what will be most efficient. I spent an hour or so masking off parts of the gun breech with tape and putty and it definitely did not feel efficient.

I'm more of a paint before assemble person. If you use a gel type superglue, you can glue painted parts no problem. I prefer the Bob Smith (BSI) glue in the pink bottle, but Loctite makes a good glue in the blue and black bottle. The thing I don't like about the Loctite glue is that it looks like you are getting a decent sized bottle, but if you break it apart, there is just a tiny little tube of glue inside. Don't try to use styrene glue (Testors/Tamiya/Mr. Hobby) on painted surfaces or you will end up with a gummy mess that doesn't cure at all well. I used to scrape all the paint off surfaces to be glued and used styrene glue, then I found out how well gel superglue works and my paint scraping days were over.

Skunkduster fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Sep 16, 2021

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Liquid mask is also an option.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Liquid mask smells so astoundingly terrible that I will voluntarily cut my own masks rather than use it. Or more often than not, just press some blu-tack into the right shape in a thin layer 'cause I'm lazy.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

grassy gnoll posted:

Imgur's quick links suck. You have to copy the image URL directly and paste it into the timg tags.

or just copy the BBCode and add t into the img tags.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

grassy gnoll posted:

Liquid mask smells so astoundingly terrible that I will voluntarily cut my own masks rather than use it. Or more often than not, just press some blu-tack into the right shape in a thin layer 'cause I'm lazy.

Silly putty for tank camo!

I want someone to explain to me and my stigmata why x-acto knife handles are round.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

Because it's way easier to turn down a billet on a lathe than it is to plane it into an exact set of dimensions when you're working as cheap as an X-acto handle gets.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Thanks for the responses everyone!

I had a ...interesting... learning experience on one of my first models about the interaction between paint and liquid cement. I've used super glue and I find it's similar to blu-tac in that it desperately wants to find its way to touching and sticking to anything you do NOT want it to touch, while also shyly avoiding whatever you do want it to stick it. I'll have to give the gelled version a try.

Also not sure what happened with the imgur link.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

or just copy the BBCode and add t into the img tags.
This is exactly what I used to do, but now it only gives me an option to copy the direct image link. I tried manually adding [timg] [/timg] tags but :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Vorenus posted:

This is exactly what I used to do, but now it only gives me an option to copy the direct image link. I tried manually adding [timg] [/timg] tags but :shrug:

I'm very curious as to how you're doing it. Are you adding the t's after the link is pasted on SA or are you changing it in imgur?

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

grassy gnoll posted:

What brand are you using? The stuff I use is water based and has no odor at all. It's by the same maker as Micro Sol and Micro Set decal solutions.

But, like the other guy said, silly putty is my go to for most flexible masking.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I forget the brand, but it's basically liquid latex with some bright dye in it so you don't miss any when you scrape it off. If there's good water-based stuff out there, I'll change in a heartbeat.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Silly putty for tank camo!

I want someone to explain to me and my stigmata why x-acto knife handles are round.

Get a couple of Swann Morton (#3 and #4) scalpel handles and the blades of your choice. Far superior to X-Acto knives.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

grassy gnoll posted:

Because it's way easier to turn down a billet on a lathe than it is to plane it into an exact set of dimensions when you're working as cheap as an X-acto handle gets.

:saddowns:

SkunkDuster posted:

Get a couple of Swann Morton (#3 and #4) scalpel handles and the blades of your choice. Far superior to X-Acto knives.

Ooooo. Do you have a preferred non-Amazon supplier? Edit: ideally in North America.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 16, 2021

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

I've switched over to scalpels almost exclusively. I have several cheap handles and a nice German made one. You can feel the difference without looking which is which. I keep that for fresh #11 blades, and the others for other blades. After a bit of use or if the tip snaps the fresh one gets moved to a cheap handle for less delicate jobs.

Blades can be bought super cheap by the hundred - usually under $15 bucks. Don't buy them by ten packs, you end up paying as much for 30 as you would for the box.

The only downside is that being thinner, they do break more than exacto blades. Having super sharp chunks of steel go flying in random directions can be a tad unsettling.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

grassy gnoll posted:

I forget the brand, but it's basically liquid latex with some bright dye in it so you don't miss any when you scrape it off. If there's good water-based stuff out there, I'll change in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure if its water based but Vallejo liquid mask doesn't have any smell that I can remember and it works really well.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

EdsTeioh posted:

The stripes are so thick they're almost like vinyl stickers and less like actual waterslide decals. There was a guy in the thread years ago that ended up using his as stencils, which is a process that I can't totally get my head around, but I'd love to see it in practice.

Was that me?

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

MrUnderbridge posted:

The only downside is that being thinner, they do break more than exacto blades. Having super sharp chunks of steel go flying in random directions can be a tad unsettling.

I’ve only had one break on me and the blade flew close enough to my face to make me have to sit back for a minute and contemplate immediately going out to go buy safety glasses, but I’m more cognizant of how the blade is being stressed now after that. I think it was a cheap #11, but I’m using proper xacto blades now along with sprue cutters.

Anyway, I’ve just started a RFM Pz. IV Ausf. G (5053, non-interior version) to complement my AFV Club T-34-85 and it’s a very good kit so far. The fit has been perfect, even if I have had to do moderate cleanup on questionable sprue connections in the middle of hull plate connecting grooves, but it’s not a very big deal and I’ve gotten pretty good at excising them. The 3d printed smoke grenade dischargers are pretty neat and I hope future kits use 3d printed parts more often.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

:saddowns:

Ooooo. Do you have a preferred non-Amazon supplier? Edit: ideally in North America.

I'm afraid not. I ordered mine from Amazon. I use #11 blades in the #3 handle and the curved #23 blades in the #4 handle. Haven't had one break yet, but I am paranoid about slicing my fingers up when changing blades, so I use a pair of pliers for that.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
So it's my bday and I decided to splurge and do my first larger scale model:

I can't tell if it looks like it will be easier or harder than the typical 1/24 scale models I'm used to.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Huh, now that's kinda weird. I have two bottles of Tamiya XF-74, one I bought online, the other I bought at a local store and they’re completely different shades of green.

I couldn't find anything online about Tamiya changing the color and there's absolutely no difference in the label. Very strange. :iiam: Guess I'll just buy another one online and see what color it is.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

RillAkBea posted:

Huh, now that's kinda weird. I have two bottles of Tamiya XF-74, one I bought online, the other I bought at a local store and they’re completely different shades of green.
Historically accurate :haw:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Man, gently caress Revell tanks with individual link tracks,

The final result is never going to be good enough to justify the extra work.

edit:

Just building up to try out this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kqLtRGhUQ

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 20, 2021

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

RillAkBea posted:

I couldn't find anything online about Tamiya changing the color and there's absolutely no difference in the label. Very strange. :iiam: Guess I'll just buy another one online and see what color it is.

Did you use the same primer for both?

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

Man, gently caress Revell tanks with individual link tracks,

The final result is never going to be good enough to justify the extra work.

edit:

Just building up to try out this technique:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-kqLtRGhUQ

Link to link is definitely a double edged sword. I've come to appreciate link and length, although there are some link to link tracks that are just a pleasure to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

I'm to the point where it's a genuine relief when I open a 1/72 tank and the tracks and suspension are all one single unit.