Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Zendo is a really good game, just wanted to drop that one here, have fun board game thread.

Edit: Zendo snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mayveena posted:

In the US (unless you are immunocompromised) you won't die of Covid if you're vaccinated. Which is the entire point of vaccination to stop you from dying. Same with the milder flu vaccine. It does not stop all flu and it doesn't stop you from getting the flu. But you won't go to the hospital with the flu vaccine same with Covid as long as you are in generally good health.

Okay, I'm gonna be that guy. This is wrong and harmful and someone needs to point that out. No, I don't feel like supplying you, random lib on the internet wirh papers. Representatives of the capital class, and of governments beholden to the capital class, have created conditions to generate a billion studies and interpretations of studies pointing out how it's not actually that bad you guys.

Mayveena posted:

I don't mind people not going, and I don't mind discussion but let's go with the science like the good progressives we are :)

Covid kills healthy people, vaccinated people, children, and it can even kill healthy vaccinated children. You're welcome to believe the lib propaganda if you must, but don't peddle it here and act like you're
progressive and superior.

E: in response to the post below me: I don't need to have an argument on this and that's not why I posted this. I posted this to offer a single public rejection of the premise that Mayveena is behaving in a "progressive" manner because Science! That suggestion cannot stand unchallenged. What she is representing, whether she wants to or not, is the reactionary status quo.

Basically all heads of state and all bosses who reopened their companies and public places have said, every time, "it's okay if you do it carefully, lopk here's a paper that says covid doesn't spread in schools, see we're following the science" and the vaccine is just another shade of "careful".

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Dancer fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 16, 2021

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
You know on second thought talking about Monopoly for a couple pages sounds pretty good

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Dancer posted:

Okay, I'm gonna be that guy. This is wrong and harmful and someone needs to point that out. No, I don't feel like supplying you, random lib on the internet wirh papers. Representatives of the capital class, and of governments beholden to the capital class, have created conditions to generate a billion studies and interpretations of studies pointing out how it's not actually that bad you guys.

Covid kills healthy people, vaccinated people, children, and it can even kill healthy vaccinated children. You're welcome to believe the lib propaganda if you must, but don't peddle it here and act like you're progressive and superior.

This is quality board game related content here.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Board game/virus related: I once shared a flat with a mate whose girlfriend was so afraid of germs and viruses that she couldn't be in the same room as a copy of Pandemic.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Dancer posted:

Covid kills healthy people, vaccinated people, children, and it can even kill healthy vaccinated children. You're welcome to believe the lib propaganda if you must, but don't peddle it here and act like you're
progressive and superior.

E: in response to the post below me: I don't need to have an argument on this and that's not why I posted this. I posted this to offer a single public rejection of the premise that Mayveena is behaving in a "progressive" manner because Science! That suggestion cannot stand unchallenged. What she is representing, whether she wants to or not, is the reactionary status quo.

Basically all heads of state and all bosses who reopened their companies and public places have said, every time, "it's okay if you do it carefully, lopk here's a paper that says covid doesn't spread in schools, see we're following the science" and the vaccine is just another shade of "careful".

I have no loving clue what the gently caress you are talking about.

Yeah Monopoly is a GREAT game compared to this rear end in a top hat.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Mayveena posted:

I have no loving clue what the gently caress you are talking about.

Okay I can translate:

The views you were promoting in your post were actively harming people. Both in their literal meaning, and by gaslighting (trying to convince people that covid doesn't kill X when you live in a universe where covid _does_ kill X, and people are keenly aware of that fact) . If you want to stop actively harming people, don't promote theose views.

And ideally find a way to not be abusive while doing it, rear end in a top hat.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

manero posted:

In the cabin I'm staying at this week, there's Scrabble, Candy Land, Green Eggs & Ham, Family Feud 6th Edition, and a copy of Sorry where the top of the box is replaced with something with skulls on it.

Use the Candy Land deck to proxy Skull.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Imagined posted:

You know on second thought talking about Monopoly for a couple pages sounds pretty good

Monopoly is designed to be a bad time. That's the point of it, to make you angry, and go, "gently caress this poo poo, this is unfair bullshit. The real housing market can't be like that?! Oh it IS? Well obviously we should do something about that!" it's like an art performance piece. It's not meant to be a boardgame.

Anyone coming along and going "no but actually Monopoly is good if you play by the rules where" just miss the point that it's an art game. It's more like Brenda Romero's 'Train' than it is Settlers of Catan. When people say 'its not a good fun game' its not in the context of "because we now know that roll and go is dumb and that you need a catchup mechanic and.." etc. It's just bad because it's meant to be bad to teach you a lesson.

But instead, we all collectively somehow go "yeah gimme a million different Monopoly boards to hate, and lets do that whole housing market thing, that seems rad as hell".

I get that I've managed to get Godwins law into boardgame discussion, but imagine taking 'Train' and being like "It's not fun because there's an optimal way to pack them onto the train, it's solved". Monopoly is like that, but obviously, (OBVIOUSLY) the crime of being a landlord in a heinously unfair system isn't actually anywhere near as bad as loading trains to Aushwitz. I'm just saying it's on the same scale, but WAY at the other end - and it being so far down the other end obfuscates the fact that trying to enjoy it in the first place misses the point.

And we all know. We KNOW there's much better out there. Whatever aspect of Monopoly it is that someone enjoys, can be found in a game that's a game and not an iconoclastic performance piece, and so actually fun.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

How do you do Fellow Millenials, would you like to ownrent some houses?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

!Klams posted:

Monopoly is designed to be a bad time. That's the point of it, to make you angry, and go, "gently caress this poo poo, this is unfair bullshit. The real housing market can't be like that?! Oh it IS? Well obviously we should do something about that!" it's like an art performance piece. It's not meant to be a boardgame.

Anyone coming along and going "no but actually Monopoly is good if you play by the rules where" just miss the point that it's an art game. It's more like Brenda Romero's 'Train' than it is Settlers of Catan. When people say 'its not a good fun game' its not in the context of "because we now know that roll and go is dumb and that you need a catchup mechanic and.." etc. It's just bad because it's meant to be bad to teach you a lesson.

But instead, we all collectively somehow go "yeah gimme a million different Monopoly boards to hate, and lets do that whole housing market thing, that seems rad as hell".

I get that I've managed to get Godwins law into boardgame discussion, but imagine taking 'Train' and being like "It's not fun because there's an optimal way to pack them onto the train, it's solved". Monopoly is like that, but obviously, (OBVIOUSLY) the crime of being a landlord in a heinously unfair system isn't actually anywhere near as bad as loading trains to Aushwitz. I'm just saying it's on the same scale, but WAY at the other end - and it being so far down the other end obfuscates the fact that trying to enjoy it in the first place misses the point.

And we all know. We KNOW there's much better out there. Whatever aspect of Monopoly it is that someone enjoys, can be found in a game that's a game and not an iconoclastic performance piece, and so actually fun.

That's not quite entirely accurate, the game we know as Monopoly is the product of several iterations of people houseruling the Landlord's Game to "fix" the problems in it.

The biggest change is that the original had no player elimination: bankrupt players went to jail and kept playing, which inevitably resulted them constantly going bankrupt over and over again since at no point in the process did they receive any additional funds. The board was also even harsher and in place of chance/community chest were spaces that just cost money (and a second Go To Jail space.) Bankrupt players were expected to roll every turn, at first having a distant hope of landing on enough unowned property to reach "Mother Earth" and get paid wages that gradually diminished until their turns consisted solely of sitting in jail and rolling to see if they stayed in jail or, rarely, getting to spend a turn sleeping in the park before returning to jail. Adding player elimination as a mercy rule watered down the messaging by softening the most crushingly unfun (by design) part of the game.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

the holy poopacy posted:

That's not quite entirely accurate, the game we know as Monopoly is the product of several iterations of people houseruling the Landlord's Game to "fix" the problems in it.

The biggest change is that the original had no player elimination: bankrupt players went to jail and kept playing, which inevitably resulted them constantly going bankrupt over and over again since at no point in the process did they receive any additional funds. The board was also even harsher and in place of chance/community chest were spaces that just cost money (and a second Go To Jail space.) Bankrupt players were expected to roll every turn, at first having a distant hope of landing on enough unowned property to reach "Mother Earth" and get paid wages that gradually diminished until their turns consisted solely of sitting in jail and rolling to see if they stayed in jail or, rarely, getting to spend a turn sleeping in the park before returning to jail. Adding player elimination as a mercy rule watered down the messaging by softening the most crushingly unfun (by design) part of the game.

I kind of glossed over the blurring from the Landlords game because I don't know it very well, but it definitely sounds like it's actually closer than I thought, but yes, far away enough as to abstract / water down the message. It's funny how it being COMPLETELY unfair was a feature, not a bug, making the message more apparent would also, I imagine, make it less frustrating. Because you'd be forced to think about it, and get that lightbulb moment. Whereas with the current edition, you're given just enough hope to make it actually torture.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
https://twitter.com/mikeselinker/status/1438532277080768527?s=20

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
That's a big ol' yikes from me.

I'm close enough for a day trip but knowing this was Indiana, no loving way was I going there. And I feel really vindicated about that right about now.

dwarf74 fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Sep 16, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Tekopo posted:

Zendo is a really good game, just wanted to drop that one here, have fun board game thread.

Edit: Zendo snipe

I own and respect Zendo, but as someone who works in computer touching, playing it feels like you're just doing debugging for 'fun'. I brought it once for my company's boardgame event, everyone agreed that it's a very cool and clever concept, but how about we play something different now?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Potatocubed already responded to the inaccurate and not helpful post by Mayveena. Dancer, however passionate you might be about correcting inaccurate covid-19 misinformation, when you do it in Trad Games I expect you to be respectful of the other posters and not drag in progressives vs. liberals shitfights per the perennial c-spam vs. d&d site war. We don't do that in here.

Mayveena, potatocubed decided not to probate you for spreading covid-19 misinformation (which "only the immunocompromised die" definitely is), and I'll respect that decision, but I think it's borderline. I'll also advise you that is also a really bad idea to casually apply the "progressive" label to your random opinions on Somethingawful.com because of the widespread and extremely contentious political fight between liberal and progressive stances (and exactly what those are and what those terms mean) that is carried out by a few hundred of our angriest posters, in other subs on this forum. Many of whom also post in trad games. You can state a position without claiming to speak for an entire political faction. You basically baited Dancer with that, and while I hit Dancer with a sixer for taking that bait, you're not blameless here.

To get to the crux of the matter: unlike, say, choosing to wear a seatbelt or to ride a motorcycle, engaging in behavior that could lead to contracting covid-19 is not purely a question of personal risk. Each person who gets it becomes a potential vector for further spread, and there are still millions of americans who cannot be vaccinated (and exposing the vaccinated still puts people in mortal peril because vaccinated people spread it, and a few do die). This is why some folks get really mad about seeing pictures like that gencon one: what they see isn't merely "oh those poor people, some of them will die," it's also "and some of them will take home the virus and spread it in their own communities, where children, people with health conditions, and a small but nonzero percentage of other vaccinated people, will die of it."

We are seeing this issue crop up in numerous threads around Trad Games, and that makes sense, because increasingly in the US and in other heavily impacted countries, people are returning to social gatherings related to gaming, including friday night magic, conventions, and other similar events. Some people are of the opinion that, if everyone is masked and/or vaccinated, it's down to personal choice; others are adamant that by continuously leaving these matters up to personal choice, we are guaranteeing that the pandemic will never end.

As a moderator I don't want to totally ban that discussion. I think it's a really important and valuable thing for people to talk about, and two paragraphs above I expressed my own view in what I hope was an even-tempered and not angry or excessively confrontational manner. Whether you agree or not, I hope you can read that as such and not feel attacked.

I have a hard time reconciling my desire to allow people to have this discussion with my desire to help end the pandemic and save lives; I must admit my sympathies are quite firmly in the camp of those who say "don't go to a convention, even if you're vaccinated." So here's where I stand, I guess: you can talk about this stuff. Probably you should talk about this stuff. But you're going to have to stay basically civil, please don't drag additional grudges into the discussion (stuff like "liberals are the enemy"), and please don't endlessly derail threads. You can say your piece and leave it at that.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 16, 2021

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i moved to mexico a few months ago and since then the only game i have played is mexican train, its ok, better than fluxx

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Leperflesh posted:

Potatocubed already responded to the inaccurate and not helpful post by Mayveena. Dancer, however passionate you might be about correcting inaccurate covid-19 misinformation, when you do it in Trad Games I expect you to be respectful of the other posters

Decorum in the face of disinformation is what literally gets people killed. This is a really bad take and you really should be ashamed for it.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Wow, that density is virtually indistinguishable from pre-plague times

https://twitter.com/ellalovesbg/status/1438550321031094294

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

grate deceiver posted:

I own and respect Zendo, but as someone who works in computer touching, playing it feels like you're just doing debugging for 'fun'. I brought it once for my company's boardgame event, everyone agreed that it's a very cool and clever concept, but how about we play something different now?
I bought Zendo to my work boardgaming nights, and it was by far the most successful and liked game I bought. I work in software development.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

So many people in those pics are looking forward to meeting Gary Gygax.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Christ you couldn't pay me enough.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

Decorum in the face of disinformation is what literally gets people killed. This is a really bad take and you really should be ashamed for it.

You cut the important part of that sentence out so you could position my post as a :decorum: one and I don't think that's fair. The respect I am calling for is not for factually inaccurate statements that get people killed; it's for the preservation of trad games as one of the subforums where we don't need to have endless c-spam style wars about libs vs. progressives.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Have wars about Vertical Vs Horizontal boardgame stacking.

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

Leperflesh posted:

You cut the important part of that sentence out so you could position my post as a :decorum: one and I don't think that's fair. The respect I am calling for is not for factually inaccurate statements that get people killed; it's for the preservation of trad games as one of the subforums where we don't need to have endless c-spam style wars about libs vs. progressives.

If that was the intent the "and also" doesn't make it read like that to me fwiw. It reads as "be respectful even if they're spreading covid misinformation" and then as a separate thought "do not bring lib vs progressive poo poo here".

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

imweasel09 posted:

If that was the intent the "and also" doesn't make it read like that to me fwiw. It reads as "be respectful even if they're spreading covid misinformation" and then as a separate thought "do not bring lib vs progressive poo poo here".

Then that is an error on my part, and I'm sorry. I've made a small edit to hopefully fix the language.

I do not expect people to be totally calm about deadly covid-19 misinformation (although I'd appreciate it). Other users on the previous page managed it.

We're drafting a more general statement for trad games, since this has been a recurring issue.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 16, 2021

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Leperflesh posted:

Other users on the previous page managed it.
Yo, I consider myself to be a card-carrying Leperflesh apologist around these parts, but after backpedaling twice, you still elect to take yet another passive-aggressive swipe? I believe you can be better than that.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Magnetic North posted:

Yo, I consider myself to be a card-carrying Leperflesh apologist around these parts, but after backpedaling twice, you still elect to take yet another passive-aggressive swipe? I believe you can be better than that.

If you want "my righteous anger justifies me being a huge rear end in a top hat" posting we have whole subforums for that.

Plenty of people shut down the misinfo perfectly reasonably and well. She's not shilling horse paste or being antivax and we didn't need that raging word salad calling her an abusive lib propagandist. That was weird and bad.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

GrandpaPants posted:

Correcting disinformation is good, but this being a games forum, I don't think it's fair to treat people like they should already understand how to read between the lines of neoliberal policy and propaganda. What's the point of berating people for trusting authority figures about a topic they don't otherwise know anything about? Just point out the falsehood and refer interested people elsewhere for follow-up information, this isn't the COVID-19 thread.

And always don't share unfiltered air during a respiratory pandemic.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

This is all great board game content

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I know what’ll get everyone riled up and distract them… I played a bunch of Flesh & Blood last weekend with some people at a FLGS and it was both fun and cool.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Yeah I think it's necessary and good to quickly shut down covid disinformation, and if that requires being kind of a dick about it, that's totally fine and reasonable.

Just, like, keep to an appropriate level of dickishness for the offense, since this subforum is about D&D, and is not itself D&D.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I like trains choo choo

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Quote-Unquote posted:

Board game/virus related: I once shared a flat with a mate whose girlfriend was so afraid of germs and viruses that she couldn't be in the same room as a copy of Pandemic.

Not even the Cthulhu pandemic? which I got for myself a few months ago and still haven't gotten around to playing.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Quote-Unquote posted:

should've gotten her the rome pandemic, where the disease is foreigners

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Buck Wildman posted:

should've gotten her the rome pandemic, where the disease is foreigners

Or the one where the disease is water

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Or the Pandemic with TRAINS. It still has germs, but TRAINS

CommonShore posted:

I like trains choo choo

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

HopperUK posted:

Not even the Cthulhu pandemic? which I got for myself a few months ago and still haven't gotten around to playing.

This is going back a few years when there was only the original game and the first expansion.

The little wooden cubes in Petri dishes gave her a panic attack. She seriously needed to get help.

Anyway she cheated on my friend so she can piss right off. I never saw her again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
board games are back baby awoooo