Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

Volmarias posted:

Post the best excerpts from the card

It's a small company, so less than 10 people in-office. Only two people signed it (both on my team). I assume what happened is everyone thought someone else was doing it then suddenly my last day was nigh and the two on my team realised nobody had done anything so they organised it, but it was too late to hand it round the office.

... At least, thats what I tell myself. Maybe I'm actually a bad tester and/or profoundly unlikeable. :stare:

(I hope not! I try really hard :negative: )

The solutions architect wrote something about how I probably have a "logic bug" because I'm leaving as the company is turning a corner.

I think he was trying to be funny, but the way it was worded sounded a lot like "just you wait, you'll be sorry you left!".

froglet fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Sep 15, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
when I left my last job everyone just wrote that they were gonna miss my dog, which is understandable

quote:

The solutions architect wrote something about how I probably have a "logic bug" because I'm leaving as the company is turning a corner.

what a loving dork-rear end thing to write

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

froglet posted:

It's a small company, so less than 10 people in-office. Only two people signed it (both on my team). I assume what happened is everyone thought someone else was doing it then suddenly my last day was nigh and the two on my team realised nobody had done anything so they organised it, but it was too late to hand it round the office.

... At least, thats what I tell myself. Maybe I'm actually a bad tester and/or profoundly unlikeable. :stare:

(I hope not! I try really hard :negative: )

I think he was trying to be funny, but the way it was worded sounded a lot like "just you wait, you'll be sorry you left!".

That sounds like a nerd trying to be nice. I wouldn't take it the wrong way.

In development news. I spent more time today mocking data for testing than I did working on my ticket lol

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RC Cola posted:

That sounds like a nerd trying to be nice. I wouldn't take it the wrong way.

In development news. I spent more time today mocking data for testing than I did working on my ticket lol

Yeah, I agree that he was probably just very stupidly trying to say that he regrets that you're leaving. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that he's got xkcd stuff tackled up on his desk.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

prom candy posted:

when I left my last job everyone just wrote that they were gonna miss my dog, which is understandable

Yeah that's fair. You could be the most likeable person in the world and you'd still lose to the most basic of pooch.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
This is going to be the second job I’ve quit because they give me performance feedback like “well yeah everyone you work with said you were great and you’re doing a lot of important work, buuuut we kinda just don’t believe them. No we can’t give any constructive advice, your goals need to come from YOU! Also, you asked for help once when half your team quit, and we thought that was whiny and negative. Try being more upbeat!”

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

This is going to be the second job I’ve quit because they give me performance feedback like “well yeah everyone you work with said you were great and you’re doing a lot of important work, buuuut we kinda just don’t believe them. No we can’t give any constructive advice, your goals need to come from YOU! Also, you asked for help once when half your team quit, and we thought that was whiny and negative. Try being more upbeat!”

At least, and I know its awful to say, but at least it's not: "You're amazing but I can only give you fulfill requirements because otherwise you'd get a raise"

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This is like the 4th job I’ve moved on from. This time the engineers were sad to see me go, management was really sad, and my cat couldn’t give less of a poo poo.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Pollyanna posted:

This is like the 4th job I’ve moved on from
What was wrong this time

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sagacity posted:

What was wrong this time

I’m clearly such a terrible engineer that I’ve made the horrible mistake of getting hired at a FAANG.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

champagne posting posted:

At least, and I know its awful to say, but at least it's not: "You're amazing but I can only give you fulfill requirements because otherwise you'd get a raise"

Sort of sounds like they did though.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

I get the exact opposite and I hate it. My company's review system is tied into our raise/bonus system. Which is fine, except without basically nailing everything you don't even get an inflation bump, let alone any kind of bonus. Since most managers don't want to gently caress their teams out of money, this leads to everyone getting near perfect scores all of the time.

This is also really annoying for me since I have direct reports and I'd love to be able to like reward actually over performance rather than basically having to pretend everyone is this amazing A++++ developer just so they get their yearly bump.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Pollyanna posted:

I’m clearly such a terrible engineer that I’ve made the horrible mistake of getting hired at a FAANG.

I missed pollyanna "my workplace is a dumpster fire" posts, I look forward to their return

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

ChickenWing posted:

I missed pollyanna "my workplace is a dumpster fire" posts, I look forward to their return

They'll probably be back pretty soon. FAANG is just a higher paid dumpster fires.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

leper khan posted:

They'll probably be back pretty soon. FAANG is just a higher paid dumpster fires.

At least FAANG moves you from "they don't pay me enough to deal with this bullshit" to "they pay me enough to deal with this bullshit"

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Jose Valasquez posted:

At least FAANG moves you from "they don't pay me enough to deal with this bullshit" to "they pay me enough to deal with this bullshit"

Very much this. There's still bullshit, you just phase out some of the extremely low quality bullshit and bring in some A tier bullshit to replace it.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Very much this. There's still bullshit, you just phase out some of the extremely low quality bullshit and bring in some A tier bullshit to replace it.

Really it's just that we spend a lot more time measuring and quantifying the bullshit so we can use math to argue "I'm not touching the bullshit."

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Jose Valasquez posted:

And then after a while you move on to "turns out you can't pay me to deal with this bullshit".

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Plorkyeran posted:

And then after a while you move on to "turns out you can't pay me to deal with this bullshit".

That happens after the RSU's vest.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

captkirk posted:

So we can use math to argue

lol if you think the decisions aren't still made on the "gut feeling" level no matter how "data driven" the company says it is.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Just decide what to want to do and then go get the data that supports it! How hard is that?!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Xguard86 posted:

Just decide what to want to do and then go get the data that supports it! How hard is that?!

I'm literally going to be doing a post hoc analysis and justification exercise next week. :smith:

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I career swapped from manufacturing to development a couple years ago and I was able to get away from a lot, but it seems like I will never get away from consultants who love to talk about old japanese men.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Volmarias posted:

lol if you think the decisions aren't still made on the "gut feeling" level no matter how "data driven" the company says it is.

I said math to argue, not math to decide. The process of writing and defending a one pager is very different from the process of making the decisions.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

leper khan posted:

I'm literally going to be doing a post hoc analysis and justification exercise next week. :smith:

Sounds like you're a real go-getter with upper management written all over you!

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Xguard86 posted:

Sounds like you're a real go-getter with upper management written all over you!

I hosed up here being too competent. Direct manager and +1 both trying to push me into higher level IC roles instead of management.

So I'll probably just end up as advisor to upper management. :stonklol:

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

leper khan posted:

I hosed up here being too competent. Direct manager and +1 both trying to push me into higher level IC roles instead of management.

So I'll probably just end up as advisor to upper management. :stonklol:

I dunno. You could get paid a lot to be ignored and kept on because you ended up being right, but they'll just ignore you again next time anyways.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I dunno. You could get paid a lot to be ignored and kept on because you ended up being right, but they'll just ignore you again next time anyways.

That's essentially my entire career.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

a dingus posted:

I career swapped from manufacturing to development a couple years ago and I was able to get away from a lot, but it seems like I will never get away from consultants who love to talk about old japanese men.

Are you me

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Yah there's a pretty nice niche being a well compensated IC that works directly for mgmt. I wouldn't dismiss it.

A lot people like that can also step right into upper mgmt roles too if they want. Sometimes not the best thing when that happens but...

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

Are you me

Taiichi ohno blah blah blah Toyota, waste blah blah just in time, agile *consultant fellates japanese man* followed by your organization cargo-culting some stupid system and consultants cashing a big pay check.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
"let's run our company like toyota"

"ok great, toyota is extremely careful with adding new features and often several years behind their competitors because they value reliability."

"no, not like that"

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

The toyota stuff actually rules but the cottage industry that has grown up around it sucks complete rear end.

Kanban is the only workflow system that even kind of works for ops. Nobody can read about Kaizen and be like "I disagree with this fundamentally".

Absolutely do not hire consultants for "implementing" either.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

prom candy posted:

"let's run our company like toyota"

"ok great, toyota is extremely careful with adding new features and often several years behind their competitors because they value reliability."

"no, not like that"

Jokes on them (us?) Because a lot of places deliver slowly -and- with poor quality.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

12 rats tied together posted:

Absolutely do not hire consultants

:hmmyes:

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

12 rats tied together posted:

Absolutely do not hire consultants for "implementing" either.

this is amazing advice until corporate mandates all developers must be consultants. Without doxxing myself too much I can safely say this is prevalent in at least one international pharmaceutical giant

It makes working there weird, I mean I was a consultant so it wasn't too bad, but you could see the few actual employees struggling because the place was poo poo to work at so consultants came and went with amazing speed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Developers have very varied definitions of what Kanban is and what makes it good. I would have to see the specific implementation to know whether I thought it was beneficial.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It's agileish but with less of the extra crap added on than scrum has. So rather than 'good' it's just less bad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Jose Valasquez posted:

Haha, yeah, exactly. It's still gonna be insane, I'm just gonna complain less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
We do "kanban" at my work which means we reorder stories frequently and also yeah we don't have all the meetings which is loving great.