Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

https://www.rtings.com is good but has a much narrower scope than Wirecutter. They seem to be growing though; last I looked it was pretty much just A/V stuff and some computer peripherals but they’ve since added vacuums and blenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OGDanDogg
Sep 16, 2002
Any suggestions for under cabinet lights above the counter? I installed some halogen ones years ago, but the bulb sockets are dying more often than the bulbs at this point. I drilled holes for 120v power, but I think I want to go LED this time.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I’ll be visiting Yosemite in a month and intend to do some hikes. I have some trail running shoes I’ve been using for hikes (12 mi hikes or less, Salomon speed cross 5s).

Should I go for hiking boots for ankle support? I hear it can get kinda slippery on that granite in October

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I'm a trail runner user through and through. If you are comfortable with trail runners already for hiking I would just stick with them.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Yeah the speedcross is a great shoe and will do anything you need it to. Stick with that imo.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Your Speedcrosses should be sufficient for Yosemite if it's basic hiking. If you're backpacking something to give you a little more ankle stability would be a smart move, but not entirely necessary.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Sticking w the shoes then, thanks, looks like I don’t need to spend ~150 USD on boots just yet

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there any especially good mail order chocolate or is that just a dumb thing to order by mail?

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

Snowy posted:

Is there any especially good mail order chocolate or is that just a dumb thing to order by mail?

The problem is that chocolate is tempered, that is, it’s heated and cooled into a solid in a very precise way. If it gets heated in any way after, the chocolate will remelt, and lose that temper. So you are always gambling on how the package was handled.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
Trying to buy a hammock chair for a 3 year old. Thinking of this thing: https://vivereltd.com/collections/cacoon/products/cacoon-bonsai?variant=40595106627733 but open to suggestions if anyone has more knowledge about these.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Looking for recommendations for an architect/drafting lamp w/ reticulating arm, particularly one that can clamp onto the side of a desk/table, for use in my home office. Money isn’t really a concern, but I’d prefer not to spend more than $250 (as I don’t need it for color/image work, etc).

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Snowy posted:

Domus posted:

The problem is that chocolate is tempered, that is, it’s heated and cooled into a solid in a very precise way. If it gets heated in any way after, the chocolate will remelt, and lose that temper. So you are always gambling on how the package was handled.

To add to that, there are some great mail order chocolates but due to the shipping problems that Domus mentioned, a lot of them either stop mailing during the summer months or require really expensive overnight shipping. I ran out of 5 Star Bars a while ago and I’m desperate for a resupply. Hopefully next month.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Looking for a decent but not overly expensive turntable. Sub $100 would be ideal. I'm not a big vinyl aficionado or anything, just grabbed a couple I'd like to listen to. I assume most if not all can connect to a basic receiver, but if not, that sort of feature would be a plus

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I have this one. It looks like they’ve moved to a newer version but you might be able to find one for about that price point. It’s pretty good, I have no complaints.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002GYTPAE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_70F4RYR05795C6B10VWE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Perfect, thank you, that looks good

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Wait, I do have one minor gripe. The audio out whatsits are on the sort side so you’re likely going to want to get some extenders if you aren’t going to have it right beside your amp or whatever.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

I’ve had one of those for several years now and it gets the job done well.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Is there any good source for synthetic gemstones in like, small batches? Ideally I'd like a little bag of assorted sizes of rubies/emeralds/sapphires/etc. as if I'm some crazy rich merchant from the 1400s. Every website I find is geared towards wholesale (for jewelry I assume) and sells in like lots of 25 of the same size/colour.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Trapick posted:

Is there any good source for synthetic gemstones in like, small batches? Ideally I'd like a little bag of assorted sizes of rubies/emeralds/sapphires/etc. as if I'm some crazy rich merchant from the 1400s. Every website I find is geared towards wholesale (for jewelry I assume) and sells in like lots of 25 of the same size/colour.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enKWKeUnCBg

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Trapick posted:

https://www.firemountaingems.com/ suppliers of middle school art teachers nationwide.

Cornuto has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Sep 16, 2021

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

I'm looking for a KVM switch that lets me use a 2048x1152 monitor with digital video inputs/outputs and USB KB + mouse with three or more computers for those occasions when I need to hook up one extra.
Specifically, it should have 3 pairs of USB B and digital video (HDMI, DVI-D, or displayport) inputs, plus two or more USB A inputs, and a (DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport) out, preferably with a corded remote so I can tuck the thing out of sight or has all the sockets on one side and the controls on the other.

The major problem I am having with finding this myself is that everybody's search (amazon, ebay, newegg, monoprice) is full of things that have 4 usb ports and no display, or VGA, or have poo poo reviews, or are more than the price of the cheap monitor I could buy to avoid the issue altogether.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

thepopmonster posted:

I'm looking for a KVM switch

It’s been a while since I’ve really researched KVMs but…

quote:

cheap monitor I could buy to avoid the issue altogether.

…is almost certainly going to be your most cost-effective option. You could probably find something that checks all your boxes from CDW or similar but it’s going to be aimed at business/professional use and significantly more expensive than buying a 24” 1080p monitor and a cheap spare keyboard/mouse.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
anyone have some high quality/highly-rated vegan chocolate recommendations?

dinahmoe
Sep 13, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

anyone have some high quality/highly-rated vegan chocolate recommendations?
Taza Chocolate is really good. I used to live near the factory, and they have a really great factory tour. My favorite is the guajllio chili.

dinahmoe has a new favorite as of 22:45 on Sep 17, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

dinahmoe posted:

Taza Chocolate is really good. I used to live near the factory, and they have a really great factory tour. My favorite is the guajllio chili.
sounds good, my neighbor did me a real solid while I was incredibly sick and they're vegan, I want to get them a nice gift and this giftbox looks perfect. thanks!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Any suggestions for a new loofa or an equivalent? I'm sick of using loofas, they seem wasteful and lose their tightness too quickly.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

obi_ant posted:

Any suggestions for a new loofa or an equivalent? I'm sick of using loofas, they seem wasteful and lose their tightness too quickly.

https://goshi.com/

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Have you tried salux or Korean Italy towels? On paper, it doesn't seem worth the extra cost over those.

https://www.amazon.com/SALUX-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Cloth/dp/B000CSDDDG
https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Asian-Exfoliating-Bath-Washcloth/dp/B004C8DR1U

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

thepopmonster posted:

I'm looking for a KVM switch that lets me use a 2048x1152 monitor with digital video inputs/outputs and USB KB + mouse with three or more computers for those occasions when I need to hook up one extra.
Specifically, it should have 3 pairs of USB B and digital video (HDMI, DVI-D, or displayport) inputs, plus two or more USB A inputs, and a (DVI-D/HDMI/Displayport) out, preferably with a corded remote so I can tuck the thing out of sight or has all the sockets on one side and the controls on the other.

The major problem I am having with finding this myself is that everybody's search (amazon, ebay, newegg, monoprice) is full of things that have 4 usb ports and no display, or VGA, or have poo poo reviews, or are more than the price of the cheap monitor I could buy to avoid the issue altogether.

High resolution, high refresh rate video is incredibly bandwidth heavy. That coupled with a small customer base, and content protection licensing makes the digital KVMs expensive and poo poo.

Level1techs make some DisplayPort KVMs, and have been (supposedly) picked by an enthusiast to make sure they work well.

But it’s still a poo poo experience as they don’t maintain a video connection. Your best option is to buy one of the Dell monitors with an inbuilt kvm.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to order all three.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

obi_ant posted:

Salux Nylon Japanese Beauty Skin Bath Wash Cloth/towel (3) Blue Yellow and Pink https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007IAE5WY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PVM2Z6C9JBEQ5HK46E5A

Each one last about 6-9 mo before fraying, but these are the best I’ve ever found.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

.Z. posted:

Have you tried salux or Korean Italy towels? On paper, it doesn't seem worth the extra cost over those.

https://www.amazon.com/SALUX-Nylon-Japanese-Beauty-Cloth/dp/B000CSDDDG
https://www.amazon.com/pcs-Asian-Exfoliating-Bath-Washcloth/dp/B004C8DR1U

I had the Salux before and it got tossed during a move. I saw the Goshi one from a Facebook advert and bought it. I much prefer the Goshi.

Dance McPants
Mar 11, 2006

Brother Tadger posted:

Looking for recommendations for an architect/drafting lamp w/ reticulating arm, particularly one that can clamp onto the side of a desk/table, for use in my home office. Money isn’t really a concern, but I’d prefer not to spend more than $250 (as I don’t need it for color/image work, etc).

this one looks good at $105. Long reach and wide light to minimize shadows.

https://www.amazon.com/Neatfi-4-Level-Brightness-Dimmable-Eye-Caring/dp/B07L9L8LSL

Looks like most the best reviewed other than this are clones of this model for around $50:

https://www.amazon.com/Eye-Care-Dimmable-JolyJoy-Architect-Reading/dp/B07KGNNT5L

Anyone got a recommendation for an outdoor gas generator? We've been having more and longer blackouts this summer and I think they're here for good, and I'd like something to run a fridge and a laptop/phone/charge stuff.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm looking for a HDMI switch with lots of outputs that supports 4k 60 or better. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Manager Hoyden posted:

I'm looking for a HDMI switch with lots of outputs that supports 4k 60 or better. Anyone have a suggestion for a good one?

Depending on what you mean by "a lot", Monoprice's Blackbird series is probably a safe bet.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I finally joined the future and added all my membership/money cards to Apple Pay. Now I’m looking to put most of my stuff in a drawer with my 10 year old leather wallet.

I’m looking for something more minimalist now in a reliable daily wallet. I’m talking ID, debit card and credit card with cash storage unimportant either way. I never carry cash unless I plan to use it immediately. I’m also getting a new iPhone next week so if MagSafe is the new recommendation I have the option.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I bought this one a while back for just carrying the few cards I actually cared about and it’s held up well.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JM0Z036/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_WAIuzEiW2U94t

These days I just put it in my purse camera sling and don’t sweat it at all.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Loofa recommendation a bit late but an actual sea sponge is great. All natural and has a nice coarse texture to help scrub your skin. Feels good.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Who's got a suggestion for memory foam pillows? I've tried a bunch of them from Amazon and they were all varying kinds of bad. I'm sleeping on buckwheat now and its better than polyfill or down, but its not memory foam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The one the wire cutter recommends is really good, but it’s shredded foam if that matters to you.