Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ambrose Burnside
Aug 30, 2007

pensive

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I haven't don't it in a while but I think you can use draft analysis tool to save the split line where it goes from either positive/negative or crosses a specified draft angle, then use that line to extrude geometry to fill your negative or low draft spaces. I think you can extrude from the line with a draft angle, or you might have to create a ribbon surface and then extrude from surface or something to get it to work.

This is my general approach to filling undercuts on models for moulding but it's been long enough I can't remember how much of it I did in SW vs Rhino vs MasterCAM.

this is more or less what i'm doing, I was just hoping it could do it for me if I don't care about exact geometries/dimensions. Aspire can do that pretty effortlessly, iirc, but aspire is also intended for art applications so that shouldnt be surprising

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

NewFatMike posted:

Popped in a :words: email to the folks at Dassault, it's getting pushed along to their Product Manager for 3DX for Makers, so keep them fingats crossed something good comes of it.

Nice! I've been using it a few days, and its a 1 out of 3 tries that I actually connect to my cloud drive and can open things I've worked on. If I leave it sitting in the background, the login times out and opens string of popups containing "login failed 5 attempts you will prompted to save." Which if course it never does prompt me to save and close. I just close the dozen or so little windows and go on my way. Sometimes, though, it won't even take my password in the popups. Copied and pasted, same password every time and sometimes, it just decides it's wrong.

The modelling is solid, it's the ONLY thing that's keeping me from just giving up on the thing as irredeemable garbage.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Huh, is that showing up in SW or just xDesign? If you can grab a screenshot I'd appreciate it.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
In my experience I’ve relied on the draft analysis and lots of planning when doing dfm optimisation runs when getting moulds cut.

Whilst software does hold our hand a lot when it comes to modern design tools, they will not and should not be your only source of control on what your model is, and that’s you.

Your model needs to represent two things, your vision for your product/doodad/doohickey but also what *is* manufacturable.

All of your tolerances worked out, how fits occur (in their dimensionally accurate distance between mating parts) and how things go together.

Your model is only as static or live as you make it.

As someone who has also spent many thousands of hours doing poo poo work of dfm passes on products always check your drawings and model before getting steel cut, hardened and then made into a mould.

Oh yeah also make sure you calculated your shrink rate of your specific polymer blend, remember surface finish will also grip the mould to varying degrees so yeah be careful with ejection forces.

*edit*
So the control thing I highlighted is incredibly important, when I was using nx 4.0 (showing my age now) it would crash out halfway through a feature and not tell you. It gave me the habit of not trusting software.

When I was simulating how differing glued joints and the mesh of the boards didn’t work right and I was getting crazy stress razors I knew I had to put in the homework.

Having that sanity check before you spend £20k+ on a set of steel coffee tables I can’t stress enough and shouldn’t be trusted, it’s why you have chartered engineers, accredited testing and other things which prop up modern society.

spiky butthole fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Sep 2, 2021

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

The only CAD software company with a heart is McNeel, and if Rhino had a parametric kernel workflow I would never use anything else.

Is there a parametric alternative to fusion 360 that doesn't do silly cloud stuff.

Maybe I'm just old school but needing to login to an app that's installed on my physical hard drive really rankles my cankles. I absolutely do not want to login to my CAD app

Also, exporting an stl file involves sending it off as a loving cloud render job? gtfo

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I believe on the SW for Makers offer you can keep everything on your local drive and mostly ignore the cloud things, but you'll still have to log in.

With most everything moving to named user licences instead of machine activation licenses, it's unfortunately a matter of time 😑

E: no weirdo cloud middleman poo poo on the SW stuff for sure, though. It runs on your local grunt. Cloud stuff is for backups/synchronization.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hadlock posted:

Is there a parametric alternative to fusion 360 that doesn't do silly cloud stuff.

Maybe I'm just old school but needing to login to an app that's installed on my physical hard drive really rankles my cankles. I absolutely do not want to login to my CAD app

Also, exporting an stl file involves sending it off as a loving cloud render job? gtfo

Solid Edge, once downloaded it's yours. No CAM in the free version.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Educational inventor, also? Not sure how to go about getting that.

Folks will put FreeCAD out there as a comedy option, but it's honestly not the worst.

OnShape is online, but free. Not sure how performance measures against xDesign in the 3DX offer, nor how to measure that.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Right about now I am looking at Freecad as the only alternative with a longterm future, given how everything is going to a saas hellworld. I am pretty sure Solid Edge would eventually turn on their users as well.

Fable of the scorpion and all that, though that is something of an insult to the scorpion.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I'm too dumb/tired to understand why shelling my model doesn't work

https://a360.co/3yR2R2O

That url probably works. Getting this error: Error: Cannot offset selected faces. Adjust the offset value, thickness value, or selection set.

Looks like this is not super uncommon, but I don't have enough experience to even know where to start looking. The model is ~2.6m long and 400mm at it's widest, trying to shell it to 5mm. I found this link: https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/fusion-360-design-validate/why-can-t-this-body-be-shelled/td-p/8295282 which kind of implies that sharp edges are a no-no, particularly below a radius that's a function of your shell thickness. ha;lp

Also struggle-bussing on my workflow. I am ganking the EndeavourIIX3D.x3d x3d file from here: http://america-scoop.com/documents/X3D/EndeavourII.php?aide=1 and then I

1. clean up the file slightly in blender (mirror the main part of the hull, merge it with the stern part, drop everything else, leaves me with a hollow shell with no flat top/deck), export that from blender as an STL,
2. import that STL as a... mesh? in Fusion 360,
3. convert that "quad mesh into t-splines" as, I think a new body and then
4. convert those bodies "tsplines into b-rep". This generates a gold surface looking thing. I then
5. loft a flat top/deck over the model. This leaves a tiny D shaped piece on the back, this gets lofted too. At this point I
6. stitch the whole thing together which gives me a normal blue solid that I can do stuff like scale and, in theory
7. shell to 5mm

Once I can get it to 5mm, the plan is to slice the model up into 200mm slices, like a funny shaped loaf of bread, then subdivide those slices into something that could fit inside the print volume of a 200x200x200mm, and then add some reinforcement at the edges so I can add ~6mm holes for locating pins for precision glue/fusing. As well as put some big square access holes in the deck.

So far I've had good luck just vase printing the hull @ 0.9mm wall thickness and letting god sort it out cutting access where needed, but gluing gets tricky and I really need the locating pins + better rigidity for gluing up stuff larger than 3 feet long

Hadlock posted:

RC sailboat from scratch project recently

Boat printed in sections:

Attempting (and succeeding!) at getting a pixhawk ardupilot autopilot stuffed in the main body cavity:

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Offsetting complex surfaces with automated tools can be a loving mess, sounds like some part of the process is generating self intersecting geometry or similar from the model having a radius smaller than your offset value and the typical trim function isn't working.

Ideas on solutions:
- find your sharpest radius on the model, soften it until offset works. Will require changing your hull shape
- manually shell in blender by offsetting the hull there and cleaning it up until it imports cleanly into fusion, then solidify the shells into a solid
- copy your hull, use fusion surface tools to scale and adjust until you have a good enough inner surface for printing, won't be as even thickness but probably most control here. You might try taking a bunch of sections and offsetting the sections by 5mm to create the internal she'll sections, them lofting into a surface.
- do your surface prep in fusion instead of blender, see if that plays nicer
- use a different program for surfacing, I got mad enough at SW surface tools to learn rhino.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I can't modify the external shape of the hull

I found another post, an autocad software architect suggested running gaussian curvature analysis which will point out at the self intersecting bullshit. I ran the analysis and there's five, possibly six major culprits, mostly the the obvious spots like the bow, stern, and keel joints

I'm kind of thinking I'll slice out the ~10cc of offending model, shell the remaining "good" model, then glue back in thiccc slices. I'm gonna print most of this stuff at 5-20% infill and it's such a tiny fraction of the overall model, shouldn't really matter. Perfectly lofted shell isn't a major requirement, but I'd like to do it the "right" way where possible

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
If its a small area you can basically do the split as you are thinking of, and then manually loft the good parts of the inner shell together to get a close to 5mm thick hull all around. Usually 2D offset methods are more robust than 3D ones and do a better job of cleaning up the self intersecting geo and not erroring out so you can then use them to build good model geometery.

I've done a lot of part and mold design for complex, organic, thin walled structures and I had the best luck with treating the inner and outer surfaces as separate parts you build from related geometry. My usual workflow was to get the key surface right first (in your case the hull) then take sections, duplicate surface edges and modify, offset 2D geometery, etc to create new info to build the secondary surface to, instead of trying to directly reference one surface from the other. This also helps with getting good surface design on both parts (how the surfaces are built in software can be very important with NURBS) and avoids a lot of issues that stem from slamming automated tool buttons and hoping your part comes out right.

I think spiky butthole makes a good point: you should only use automated tools if you know how they work and what they are doing, otherwise the process is a black box and you shouldn't trust what comes out - you either need to double check its what you wanted in a different software tool or otherwise confirm the output is what you expected before you go forward with it. In your case Fusion is erroring out rather than mindlessly generating bad geometry, but understanding how the 3D offset tool works helps you find the root cause of the errors.

spiky butthole posted:

In my experience I’ve relied on the draft analysis and lots of planning when doing dfm optimisation runs when getting moulds cut.

Whilst software does hold our hand a lot when it comes to modern design tools, they will not and should not be your only source of control on what your model is, and that’s you.

Your model needs to represent two things, your vision for your product/doodad/doohickey but also what *is* manufacturable.

*snip*

Having that sanity check before you spend £20k+ on a set of steel coffee tables I can’t stress enough and shouldn’t be trusted, it’s why you have chartered engineers, accredited testing and other things which prop up modern society.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

do the split as you are thinking of, and then manually loft the good parts of the inner shell together to get a close to 5mm thick hull all around.

This is all good info, wanted to touch on this first

When you say manually loft, are you talking about in the technical sense, generating new surfaces in the "gold" tool bar

What should I be googling for to do this. I've tried searching "manually she'll fusion 360" but not many good results. Maybe I should be searching for "lofting shell thickness" or something. Presumably I'll take each surface, copy it, adjust it X inwards, scale it down slightly, then add in a fillet to close the gap and stitch the whole monstrosity together

I was thinking about chopping slicing the front and rear 2 inches from the model, i.e. where 90% of the complex geometry lives, as well as some rectangular sections out of the body where it pinches, then shell the remaining hulk. Are you suggesting that I won't be able to use auto shell, or are you insinuating that I'm trying to use fisher price tools to do precision surgery, or maybe both

Edit: I guess auto shell probably is a Fisher Price toy, so I guess that I'm asking is, what's a good resource to walk me through how to do this the old fashioned way

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 8, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Can you post the file anywhere? If it isn't top secret, I can take a look at it with Rhino and tell you exactly where it's failing.

e: once you get to the solid stage, export that body as a STEP file.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm not gonna be much help on specific techniques as I'm not a Fusion user (solidworks for solids and rhino for surfaces is what I usually use).

That said, I'd look for basic surface modeling tutorials rather than anything specific - try to find an example project that involves shelling and hope they manually build the surfaces, but you'll learn a lot about how nurbs surfaces work and are constructed in any good tutorial.

Lofting is just a method of building a surface from a series of guide curves, and I generally use it when I have a series of profiles I want to connect, which is pretty much what you're doing.

Hadlock posted:

What should I be googling for to do this. I've tried searching "manually she'll fusion 360" but not many good results. Maybe I should be searching for "lofting shell thickness" or something. Presumably I'll take each surface, copy it, adjust it X inwards, scale it down slightly, then add in a fillet to close the gap and stitch the whole monstrosity together

I was thinking about chopping slicing the front and rear 2 inches from the model, i.e. where 90% of the complex geometry lives, as well as some rectangular sections out of the body where it pinches, then shell the remaining hulk. Are you suggesting that I won't be able to use auto shell, or are you insinuating that I'm trying to use fisher price tools to do precision surgery, or maybe both

I'm not a fusion user so I'm not 100% sure what the failure is outputting which effects my advice on approach, but generally:
- i'd try to use the automated tool as much as possible, if you can chop/slice/separate the base surface until you can auto shell as much of the thing as possible
- take sections of the 'bad' parts of the original surface at a regular interval
- offset the sections inward to creation virtual sections of the inside of the shell
- loft from the edge of one end of the good part to the other, using the virtual sections as intermediate curves
- stitch the surfaces all together into one surface, have your new inner shell
- turn the outer shell and the inner shell into a solid idk half the time I just start booleaning things together lol

The thing with surfacing is there are a ton of ways to get to the same end state and some of it depends on what you'll use the model for, what you're comfortable with, etc etc so theres often no one way to do something.

I'm also happy to review your model and maybe do a little step by step explanation of the above.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

Can you post the file anywhere? If it isn't top secret, I can take a look at it with Rhino and tell you exactly where it's failing.

e: once you get to the solid stage, export that body as a STEP file.

It is definitely top secret, but on your word as a nigerian prince, please accept this file; my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed. I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this s3 file: https://hadlocks-bucket.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/endeavourii-hadlock.step

Presumably the purple bits are where the slicings need to happen. Probably. I'm very tempted to just slice off the entire keel section and print that in a series of massive vase sections, as most of it will be filled with a 85/15 mix of lead shot and epoxy resin, wall thickness has no meaning there

I'm going to take a quick stab at fixing this tonight, but I doubt I'll get to far. When your friends with kids say poo poo like "i have no free time", please understand this is a literal statement, not a figurative one. Honestly not sure why I am choosing to spend my 27 free minutes today working on this, but :iiam:

fake edit: I would have shared the file in the first place, but autocad is run by a bunch of bitches, and you have to pay extra to share the file using their platform, gently caress you autocad eat poo poo

edit 2: tried some very butcher-shop-esque methods, this did not work;

edit 3: was able to get the main hulk to shell @ 0.40mm, which is... about 2.6mm less than I'd like, but technically usable for my purposes today

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Sep 8, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Tried to download it but it says permission denied.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sagebrush posted:

Tried to download it but it says permission denied.

You have to VPN into Nigeria, duh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah sorry I had it geolocked to west africa

Should be accessible now if you VPN in through the kremlin now, sorry about that

How do clouds work

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I took a look at the file and there are several points it's failing. The most difficult part is the sharp edge on the back of the keel, but the bow and stern both have some weird stuff going on too. Fundamentally it's failing to shell because there are radii that are too small, yes, but also because the surface topology is a mess, which is normal when you use automated tools to build surface models from sparse data (like polygon meshes).

I decided to take it as a challenge and spent about an hour and a half shelling it manually. There are a few spots where I cheated a bit but I think the geometry should still work for your purposes. It's 5mm wall nearly everywhere and the external hull shape is unchanged.

https://ufile.io/fswj978s

I made a timelapse for fun but it didn't turn out all that interesting, just a lot of nitpicky surface tweaking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Lt_JBDECE

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sagebrush posted:

I decided to take it as a challenge and spent about an hour and a half shelling it manually.

https://ufile.io/fswj978s

I made a timelapse for fun

:aaaaa:

I am speechless. Much gratitude, this is going to let me skip ahead to the actual construction part pretty quickly. Very excited to get this loaded and star poking around at it :dance:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

This thing is a real work of art, I've been playing around with how to slice it up to best print it out and how I'm going to setup the alignment pins. Looks like I can print it in 33 sections, but due to the curvature, I can place multiple sections on the build plate similar to the sydney opera house. Adaptive cubic infill @ ~6% looks like it'll add plenty of strength for what I need to do, there won't be a lot of point loading on the structure.

They say never look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any way you could add a 5mm deck to the top? I suspect I could loft across and extrude down, or some crude method, and with the 5mm walls there's enough slop there for me to do it and probably not gently caress it up too bad, but I'm hesitant to ruin an otherwise great model

This is super cool, I'm psyched to get the alignment pins modeled in, and start doing some test prints.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Would something like that not have been easier to model with surfacing tools and then offset surfaces to whatever thickness you want and knit things together (tedious but simple)?

Making the deck should just be a lofted extrusion between two sketches where you convert the opening profile at each sketch plane for the thickness of the deck.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Hadlock posted:

They say never look a gift horse in the mouth, but is there any way you could add a 5mm deck to the top? I suspect I could loft across and extrude down, or some crude method, and with the 5mm walls there's enough slop there for me to do it and probably not gently caress it up too bad, but I'm hesitant to ruin an otherwise great model

here u go

https://ufile.io/8j6oranm

That one took some real hacking around to solve, because hollow bodies tend to spew geometry errors if you don't fix the cheats I used in the previous version. But I got it to work and it's now a completely manifold object with no geometric errors. I also learned of a new Rhino function in the process: removeAllNakedMicroEdges. Handy!

When I imported the STEP into SolidWorks to check it, it came in as two solids inside one another instead of a thin-walled object. This is best described as a philosophical difference of opinion between how surface modelers and solid modelers think of geometry. If F360 does the same thing on import, a boolean difference of the two bodies will give you the desired shelled hollow hull.

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Would something like that not have been easier to model with surfacing tools and then offset surfaces to whatever thickness you want and knit things together (tedious but simple)?

Yes, that's generally how I would approach it from scratch. Start with the STL - extract profile curves from the mesh - smooth and rebuild - use those to generate a surface body with optimized topology - perform simple offsetting/trimming operations to build the shell.

In this case I found it was kind of a fun challenge to (partially) fix the ugly topology created by F360's tools.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Sep 9, 2021

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Idiot noob fusion 360 question

I rendered an stl in here and more or less have my settings dialed in. Is there any way to throw in a 100 or so files and have it render using the same viewpoint/settings?

E: maybe I'm not phrasing this properly but I just want a basic render of some objects at a certain angle and they're all more or less the same size

w00tmonger fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 12, 2021

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I setup an assembly with them all in and turn on/off visibility to do that.

Look at keyshot though, 360 is garbage for visualisation.

The only good autodesk renderer they bought which was maxwell but you need a lot of training/practise to get good results.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Since when did Autodesk buy Maxwell? It looks like it's still an independent company/product to me.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Follow up from goon boat cad project, finally had a chance to do some test prints and see how/if things fit together, tolerances etc etc

click to embiggen

I created some voids in the skin using a ~2.65mm cylinder and then dropped in 2.5mm pins, seems to work very well, quite tight. Had to do some (very) rough sanding (60 grit, by hand) to get rid of some elephant's foot and let things match up nicely but otherwise worked perfect. Thickness is ~5.1mm which is partly due to the printer but mostly because I first increased the model size by 3% to put it in the middle of the allowed class tolerances, but it no longer could be printed two print volumes wide, so I shrunk it down to 99% of that already modified size, end result should be ~5.0985mm in theory wall thickness. So, cool.

Infill is 6% adaptive cubic, which provides, more or less, a grid pattern along the correct axis between the two skins. Will probably bump up to 12 or maybe even 20% for load bearing areas, although for point loads there'll be backing plates, etc. (total weight with ballast(~60 lbs), sails, electronics+battery is almost 90 lbs). Thinking about lofting continuous 2.5mm holes through the body, and then running 2mm carbon fiber pullstrusion (that's a thing, apparently) with epoxy to spread the longitudinal loads further away from the glued/epoxied seams. I think with the gaps glued and filled, sanded and painted, it'll look really good. And save me countless hours of laborious building up a mould with fiberglass and epoxy etc. We'll see.

I can probably jump down to 1.5 or 2mm pins, 2.5 is thiccccc, even though I already went down from an initial 6 to 3, before deciding to print using 2.5 pins.

poorly calibrated ender 3 v2 with hatchbox pla

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Looks like those calipers need new batteries?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
That kind of calipers always need new batteries. Learn to read a vernier scale and never think about coin batteries again IMO.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

withak posted:

That kind of calipers always need new batteries. Learn to read a vernier scale and never think about coin batteries again IMO.

You could also get one of these.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Next time I go down to my storage unit I'll go dig out my dad's west german Helios 8" dial caliper

I have fresh coin batteries in our package locker but got mixed up with someone else's stuff I think

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

withak posted:

Cheap digital calipers kill their batteries all the time, yes. They use a relative position sensor that requires the circuitry to be constantly powered at a low level to remain zeroed. Even if you don't use them regularly, they will gradually consume the battery.

Fancier digital calipers, like the Mitutoyo AOS models, use absolute position sensors that allow the system to be fully powered down when not in use, and their batteries last a very long time. Years of moderate use, usually.

I appreciate battery-free utility of mechanical calipers, but when you're using them constantly, the few seconds you save with a direct digital readout vs. squinting at a vernier scale add up. Dial calipers are a nice median, though. I use mine a lot.

Expensive ($100+) digital calipers > dial calipers > vernier calipers ~ moderate cost ($30-50) digital calipers > cheap ($10) digital calipers.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 16, 2021

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
You aren't going to earn any street cred from your dial calipers tho.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Street cred means nothing when we're all supposed to be quarantining anyway.

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Since when did Autodesk buy Maxwell? It looks like it's still an independent company/product to me.

By it being the standard renderer for 3dsmax.

Unless I’m dumb and full of farts.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Sagebrush posted:

Cheap digital calipers kill their batteries all the time, yes. They use a relative position sensor that requires the circuitry to be constantly powered at a low level to remain zeroed. Even if you don't use them regularly, they will gradually consume the battery.

Fancier digital calipers, like the Mitutoyo AOS models, use absolute position sensors that allow the system to be fully powered down when not in use, and their batteries last a very long time. Years of moderate use, usually.

I appreciate battery-free utility of mechanical calipers, but when you're using them constantly, the few seconds you save with a direct digital readout vs. squinting at a vernier scale add up. Dial calipers are a nice median, though. I use mine a lot.

Expensive ($100+) digital calipers > dial calipers > vernier calipers ~ moderate cost ($30-50) digital calipers > cheap ($10) digital calipers.

This is great to know, thank you. I was wondering the other day why anyone would spend the money on a fancy digital caliper when they eat batteries all the same.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

spiky butthole posted:

By it being the standard renderer for 3dsmax.

Unless I’m dumb and full of farts.

Are you sure about this? I don't use 3dsmax, but on the Next Limit site there is a link to buy Maxwell for 3ds, and the Autodesk site doesn't mention Maxwell anywhere.

Claes Oldenburger posted:

This is great to know, thank you. I was wondering the other day why anyone would spend the money on a fancy digital caliper when they eat batteries all the same.

Even if the fancy calipers did eat batteries, they're still built to standards of precision, reliability, and finish that greatly exceed the cheap ones. Good tools are a joy to use.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Sep 17, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Claes Oldenburger posted:

I use vernier calipers only (buying 2nd hand mitutoyos for 10€) and I would say I spend a lot of time looking at them and my vision is such that I need glasses, don't feel a need for digital or dials, though a dial would be cool to have. I've never been able to comprehend vernier in imperial though.

CAD related, I turned off fusion last night in anger over some new restriction. Installed freecad.