Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

NonzeroCircle posted:

Splitgate is good fun, it's 50/50 Halo and Portal.

F2P but more like the TF2 model of useless cosmetics, which you can't even see in matches- from what I can tell your team will always be blue and the enemy will always be red. Nice n colourful but with, on the whole, pretty readable maps; it's pretty clear what surfaces are portal friendly.

Oddball is my favourite mode so far, gets hectic.

I'm not high enough rank, nor have put enough (any) money into the game to know first hand, but I've been watching the occasional Splitgate Uber-player on Twitch/Youtube and I see skins fairly frequently that are not immediately clear as to which team they are on. I've seen enemy skins that read as 100% grayscale, and I've seen team mate skins look straight up like they are red.

Additionally, it's pretty clear that the "pro players" mostly use the female model with the goggles as that's got the smallest visual profile, even if the hitboxes for all player models are identical.

All of this could certainly be worse, however!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
at least it's not that loving war cow from UT99 where its 'head' was somewhere in the middle of its gun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
When I was a kid we did a lan party for my birthday at a commercial place that hosted them and played Quake 2 and their version had a bunch of custom models when this was a completely new concept for a game. I think the hit boxes were still universal, but we all quickly figured out that playing as the Tentacle from Day of the Tentacle made you much, much tinier, and thus harder to aim at.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Coolguye posted:

at least it's not that loving war cow from UT99 where its 'head' was somewhere in the middle of its gun

I introduced a friend to UT99 for the first time two weeks ago and he immediately gravitated to the cow; I had to explain why it might not make him popular on the servers.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Anyone who picks a monkey in TimeSplitters is first against the wall

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

why would you ever not choose Hans

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
All Oddjob

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

License to kill explosives only

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Nioh (and Sheltered) free on EGS

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

wow I might actually install Nioh, it's a red letter day for EGS

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

bees x1000 posted:

wow I might actually install Nioh, it's a red letter day for EGS

Same here. Tyranny and Pillars of Eternity was impressive, but I already had those. However, I didn't have Nioh (either one) on any platform and was happy to see this.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Has anyone played sheltered enough to give an opinion on it? It looks suspiciously like a pixel art rehash of that dumb grindy fallout shelter game on mobile.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Breetai posted:

Has anyone played sheltered enough to give an opinion on it? It looks suspiciously like a pixel art rehash of that dumb grindy fallout shelter game on mobile.

Apparently it's exactly that but without the predatory IAP. Seems to be well liked for chilled and relaxed play.

Pararoid
Dec 6, 2005

Te Waipounamu pride

Bottom Liner posted:

Apparently it's exactly that but without the predatory IAP. Seems to be well liked for chilled and relaxed play.

That actually sounds pretty good....

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Bottom Liner posted:

having played it, i completely disagree. resource scarcity is extremely real and super, super arbitrary for the first about half of the game. it's extremely stressful and, worse, visibly and feelably unfair. the game keeps track of your current stockpiles and softcaps you to the point that it's basically a hard cap under a different name. you'll frequently come back with no food whatsoever from a grocery store just because the game decided in the background you had enough already (narrator: you didn't). there's also a lot of really ridiculous mechanics like answering expedition transmissions; you have to keep up with people who have gone to the field by answering their radio calls from time to time. if you do not, they will somehow lose all resources to be gained from the trip and return totally empty-handed (rather than, you know, returning with less or taking longer or some other sane penalty for failing to pick up the loving phone). if it's an early game expedition where you're constantly short on food might just flatly be a death sentence. on a related note to death sentences: because the game loves to impose arbitrary resource scarcity, recruiting any extra survivors before you can get away from the resource gathering loop's oppression will usually doom everyone in the shelter because the food expectations the game imposes don't update based on your headcount.

even with the stupid gacha and clicker mechanics, fallout shelter is a better game. or, actual best option, just play This War Of Mine, which is a game with a similar shelter-building and resource-gathering feedback mechanism that allows you to solve the problems it presents you rather than rejecting your solutions for no good reason.

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 10, 2021

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I played through it and it was mostly my chill out game. There were times when I was low on supplies but I never thought it was brutal or unfair. Once I got the hang of it I was swimming in food and water. Just prioritize upgrades that either produce food/water (mostly water, iirc) or ones that make consumption more efficient.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I haven't played Sheltered yet (just got it yesterday, not surprisingly), but I did try This War of Mine and it was brutal. I wasn't able to find a drat thing and I think that my character was shot dead on night 3 while looking for food.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Unsurprisingly Larry 7 is now free on indie gala also

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

This War of Mine also trumps Sheltered in that its an accurate ‘turn a TV Chef into a knife wielding swirling dervish killing machine who only eats rats’ simulator.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
Yes but does This War Of Mine have a street fighter fight of Cynthia vs. Bear?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Don't play Surviving Mars. There is currently a bug where your colonists get stuck on storage bins trying to get food (even if there are other sources). They spin in place until they starve and die. They also can get stuck on farms... Then you have to destroy the building to free them, but in the meantime your colony takes a hit for someone dying. Oh and once one dies from starvation, the others that are stuck will start to commit suicide. It's a downward spiral that I found after playing 8 hours of it.

If they fix the bug though it seems pretty fun! You know, the parts without the mass mars suicide.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like that might be fairly realistic for a Mars colony

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Don't play Surviving Mars. There is currently a bug where your colonists get stuck on storage bins trying to get food (even if there are other sources). They spin in place until they starve and die. They also can get stuck on farms... Then you have to destroy the building to free them, but in the meantime your colony takes a hit for someone dying. Oh and once one dies from starvation, the others that are stuck will start to commit suicide. It's a downward spiral that I found after playing 8 hours of it.

If they fix the bug though it seems pretty fun! You know, the parts without the mass mars suicide.

My favourite thing about this is that I played SM on launch a couple years ago, and the game was suffering the same bugs back then. Not the exact same bugs but every single one of my colonies ended because the colonists would find a new and exciting way to kill themselves, sending the colony into a death spiral. Agggh, I hate waiting five minutes for this train! I know, I should take a two-day walk to the next dome instead of waiting for the train! Oh nooo I only had six hours of oxygen agh agh I am dying help how could you fail me like this, administrator.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's far too realistic to be fun.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like that might be fairly realistic for a Mars colony

Yeah they’re just simulating the functional brain capacity of anyone who lives on Musk’s Mars.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
Huh? I don't think those mechanics exist in Surviving Mars right now, much less during launch.

On release there was no way for colonist to travel to other dome outside of moving their residence. I also don't think oxygen level is tracked at an individual level.

The only massed death I experience was late game population growth just goes up to insane level and you can no longer take care of everyone like it's early game with quaint custom designed dome and have to be building dome basically constantly to the point of tedium lest everyone just die or leave due to insanity from being homeless or waiting in line to the clinic for too long.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Apparently they're releasing a fix for the bugs the latest expansion introduced today.

Hopefully it fixes all of them, because some of them are bad. Shuttle Hubs are unbuildable. Certain power buildings are unbuildable. The aforementioned thing with the colonists is also experienced by drones. Just an utter shitshow that's had the latest expansion get hit with an overwhelmingly negative rating on steam, that eventually settled out at mostly negative.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

pedro0930 posted:

On release there was no way for colonist to travel to other dome outside of moving their residence.

You can connect the domes with tubes they can walk through or if you have a shuttle hub near they can fly those once you research something.

Archonex posted:

Apparently they're releasing a fix for the bugs the latest expansion introduced today.

Shuttle Hubs are unbuildable.

That would be great because there is a fun/interesting game here. It's like sim city but everything constantly deteriorates. And luckily I didn't run into any build bugs. I can build shuttle hubs just fine. Though I did notice it takes a LONG time to get some buildings up. I think even though the priority is high on building, the drones will go use your resources for maintaining establishing buildings over building new ones. Also I noticed that if you place a universal depot near anything that needs to get built, then it gets done almost immediately once the shuttles deliver the goods.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
passages were patched in the game like a month after release

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
https://store.steampowered.com/app/475150/Titan_Quest_Anniversary_Edition/

Titan Quest is free on Steam. Also Jagged Alliance 1.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

I just recently finished TQ and it still held up surprisingly well. Word of warning though; optimization in the Atlantis DLC is downright shoddy. If you decide to buy it and experience stuttering, try running the game in DX9 mode.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Quill posted:

I just recently finished TQ and it still held up surprisingly well. Word of warning though; optimization in the Atlantis DLC is downright shoddy. If you decide to buy it and experience stuttering, try running the game in DX9 mode.

I think the giveaway doesn't include either DLC.

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Mordja posted:

I think the giveaway doesn't include either DLC.

No, but they are available on Steam at a discount and some people here might take advantage. To clarify, core game runs fine. Last DLC is a bit busted.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Two Epic freebies today are Tharsis and Speed Brawl. I've never heard of either but Tharsis looks kinda cool.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I've seen gameplay footage before and Tharsis looks miserable, everything is literally just a dice roll and none of your descisions really matter because it's all down to luck.

Vadun
Mar 9, 2011

I'm hungrier than a green snake in a sugar cane field.

Tombot posted:

I've seen gameplay footage before and Tharsis looks miserable, everything is literally just a dice roll and none of your descisions really matter because it's all down to luck.

Yeah it's downward spiral Yahtzee

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Welp.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I really liked Tharsis. It's a game with dice but it's not any more brutally random than something like FTL. The game gives you lovely rolls, and you decide what to do with them; you have enough options for how you build your team and what you want to specialize in that you can make meaningful choices. It's not an easy game to win, but that feels kind of in keeping with both the desperate tone of the game and the roguelike gameplay loop.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

Tharsis is great. They really nailed what they were going for. It's an addictive little game of making the best choices in a bad situation, and cannibalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009
Tharsis is kind of cool, and has some nice touches (like how the dice get bloody after you cannibalize someone), but yes, if you're someone who hates RNG in games, then this is your kryptonite. A lot of playthroughs are doomed right from the get-go no matter what you do, and you will often find yourself in a situation where you've seemingly done everything right and the dice have actually gone your way for once when one single event completely fucks you and that's that. It is soul-crushing in the extreme. Of course, fans of the game would probably argue that's the point of the experience, but in my case, after my 10th 'oh sorry your dice got lost to the void again gently caress you' I just wanted to complete the loving thing, dev's 'vision' be damned. Fortunately there is an easy mode (which was patched in later apparently because of the deluge of complaints about difficulty), which will give you a reasonable shot of experiencing the whole story.

If you want to try it, my advice is to play it on normal or hard a few times to get that miserable failure experience of 'What if those Mars One chucklefucks actually did try sending a spaceship to Mars after all?' and then switch over to easy mode so you can actually complete it and then probably never touch it again.