Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How very Amerocentric of you. (PRO TIP: Aside from former French colonies, only Americans hate the French. Your map legend is poo poo.)

An ironically Amerocentric post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Cracker King posted:

Didn’t NTSC and PAL/SECAM come about because of the different electrical grids of USA and Europe?
The original monochrome broadcast frequency of 50/60Hz did, dating back to the era of mechanical televisions, but the NTSC frequency of 59.94Hz and PAL/SECAM of 49.99Hz (in most places) is all electronically clocked and just comes from adding the chroma signal to that original basis.

NTSC was the first, and happened to have several problems (never twice the same color) that both PAL and SECAM competed to overcome, but where they ended up being adopted was more geopolitics than grid frequency, so Brazil has PAL on a 60Hz grid and Japan had 59.94Hz NTSC in both 50Hz and 60Hz grid areas.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.

Cracker King posted:

Didn’t NTSC and PAL/SECAM come about because of the different electrical grids of USA and Europe?

Not quite! NTSC doesn't in itself mandate a frame rate/supply frequency/number of lines, it's literally just the way the luma is to be modulated with the chroma. All that other stuff is System-M iirc. The reason PAL was developed was because poor transmission of NTSC produced a lot of distortions in color and it was perceived that European weather conditions would be a worse place for NTSC broadcasts.

Tweezer Reprise fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 16, 2021

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The other thing is that PAL and SECAM both require information about the previous line, thus phase alteration by line, so you need precision components that NTSC doesn't, because analog receivers have no idea what the previously transmitted line would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsk4WWtRx6M

NTSC works well enough in clear weather with a well calibrated set to not need weird components, but when it doesn't work you get really bad color instead of minor saturation shifts.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
There’s a reason NTSC stands for Never The Same Color.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Grape posted:

An ironically Amerocentric post.

Name me a country that isn't a former French colony or America that hates the French

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

Fourteen-year-old girls.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Britain.

Mano
Jul 11, 2012

Sampatrick posted:

Name me a country that isn't a former French colony or America that hates the French

I don't know is England/Britain a former French colony for this purpose?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Sampatrick posted:

Most of them.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Sampatrick posted:

based on macrons submarine meltdown australia

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

How very Amerocentric of you. (PRO TIP: Aside from former French colonies, only Americans hate the French. Your map legend is poo poo.)

The French are very narrowly hated less than the Anglos. Very narrowly. Sorry you had to find out this way.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Mano posted:

Absolutely is are you kidding me

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Never forget that simply visiting France can drive tourists to mental illness.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

ASAPRockySituation posted:

The French are very narrowly hated less than the Anglos. Very narrowly. Sorry you had to find out this way.

That's what Americans tell to themselves to feel better about being the villains of reality.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

That's what Americans tell to themselves to feel better about being the villains of reality.

so who's second-most-hated if not them. surinamese?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Sampatrick posted:

Germany?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
my money is on the dutch

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think the real outlier is Russia, which has a big rivalry with the US, but loving loves France. Otherwise, I think there's a similar amount of hate, but France is much less internationally relevant, so sometimes countries may not remember France enough to spare any hate for it.

Also the places where France mucks around internationally are the places that the anglosphere forgets exists, so we aren't as privy to the people who hate the French the most.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Sampatrick posted:

*runs down the list of Muslim nations the French didn’t colonize*

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Sampatrick posted:

Afghanistan? Pakistan? Any country with an antagonistic relationship with NATO?

*Guy from country full of people that can't stop drawing the prophet Muhammed*: Everyone loves us except America.

Starks fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Sep 16, 2021

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

The main difference between France and Britain is that the French got a better PR team.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Also the places where France mucks around internationally are the places that the anglosphere forgets exists, so we aren't as privy to the people who hate the French the most.

For example: the amount of support Mitterand gave to the Interahamwe.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Many people from many countries dislike France, although they usually have a better reason than considering the French to be cheese-eating surrender monkeys who won't join their extremely ill-advised invasions of Middle Eastern countries

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

One of the constants of the human experience is that those guys across the fence are loving shite, mate. Because of this, we can assume that the Spanish, Germans, Belgians and so on hate the French.

Also, as a Dane, I hold a grudge because the English preemptively destroyed our fleet because we were probably gonna ally ourselves with the French. I blame both France and England for this. And Sweden for good measure.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Phlegmish posted:

Many people from many countries dislike France, although they usually have a better reason than considering the French to be cheese-eating surrender monkeys who won't join their extremely ill-advised invasions of Middle Eastern countries

Sure, but wasn’t that just a temporary blip in the wake of post-9/11 madness? More contemporary polls would indicate that Americans actually love the French: https://news.gallup.com/poll/189602/france-favorable-rating-zooms-new-high.aspx

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ASAPRockySituation posted:

Actually, no-one (apart from Americans) even thinks about the French.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
New California just dropped.

This is going to look like rear end in dark mode.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Platystemon posted:

New California just dropped.

This is going to look like rear end in dark mode.

drat

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

BonHair posted:

And Sweden for good measure.

How dare you.
And most of the time you probably deserve to have your fleet sunk.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

3D Megadoodoo posted:

you are very weird

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

3D Megadoodoo posted:

If only this were true!

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
france has nuclear weapons, is a permanent member on the UN security council, has an extant pattern of neocolonial meddling, and is the second most potent military force in NATO/the primary one in the EU. people think about them

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
All that has been said is true, but misses the most silly thing about this conversation.

That that dude levied the accusation of American French hate at Tei the Spaniard.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Mano posted:

A French family owned it for hundrers of years and used it as a basically resource and tax pinata while fighting and loving around mostly in France so kinda?

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

a third of the united states is a former french colony anyway

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

One of the constants of the human experience is that those guys across the fence are loving shite, mate. Because of this, we can assume that the Spanish, Germans, Belgians and so on hate the French.

Also, as a Dane, I hold a grudge because the English preemptively destroyed our fleet because we were probably gonna ally ourselves with the French. I blame both France and England for this. And Sweden for good measure.
Sweden deserves blame for not assisting their Danish allies against Perfidious Albion. The Brits were literally in range of their (land-based) guns, and they still did nothing, which makes one question their claims of "the wind" preventing them from assisting with their fleet. They of course repeated that trick half a century later when the Prussians came knocking, though not quite as egregiously given the lack of formal alliance, and followed that up behavior during WW2. Sweden is literally the least trustworthy ally/neighbor any country could have while still pretending to be a friend.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

ThisIsJohnWayne posted:

How dare you.
And most of the time you probably deserve to have your fleet sunk.

Absolutely, but that's besides the point.

Anyway, with Usa going out of the brown people killing business, the Danish government has made some statements about cozying to to France to keep going with the project. France is still relevant, and may be even more so in the future.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

The fleet is meh, bombing the poo poo out of civilians in Copenhagen is a bit worse imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Guavanaut posted:

The other thing is that PAL and SECAM both require information about the previous line, thus phase alteration by line, so you need precision components that NTSC doesn't, because analog receivers have no idea what the previously transmitted line would be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsk4WWtRx6M

NTSC works well enough in clear weather with a well calibrated set to not need weird components, but when it doesn't work you get really bad color instead of minor saturation shifts.

years after first hearing about them, i'm still in awe of the sheer, genius simplicity of piezoelectric delay lines