Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Anyone attending Gencon has accepted that death is a possible outcome, but that is better than expected at the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
death by gencon sounds like a terrible way to go

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Considering it's pretty standard for people to get sick from conventions regardless, I'm curious whether one with masking and distancing could lead to fewer instances of sickness than usual (while still being more serious, with going to a con right now still being a bad idea) or even more sickness than usual regardless.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I suspect we will see fewer cases of low grade con crud, but that COVID will happen. Like how flu has been this past year,

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

neongrey posted:

death by gencon sounds like a terrible way to go

It's hell to have to explain at Valhalla.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Loxbourne posted:

Why? All they do is loving larp up there.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Loxbourne posted:

I'm not sure dieing of self inflicted plague at a games convention counts as an honorable battle, so you wouldn't be going to Valhall anyway.

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

taichara posted:

So, maybe keep an ear to the ground if you know anyone who's at Gencon; and if you are at Gencon, godspeed you poor bastard:

https://twitter.com/mikeselinker/status/1438532277080768527

That's a loooot of folks packed together with no controls at all, ye gods.

Someone in that photo is going to die. Maybe more than one someone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Rhandhali posted:

Someone in that photo is going to die. Maybe more than one someone.
I'm pretty sure they all will eventually, unless you know something I don't

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
Is there any data on COVID transmission at PAX West? That was at the beginning of September. They had a vaccine (or negative test) requirement. GenCon isn't requiring vaccination status because they can't legally enforce it but a survey of attendants revealed around a 90% vaxxed level.

BlackIronHeart fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 16, 2021

Rhandhali
Sep 7, 2003

This is Free Trader Beowulf, calling anyone...
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

I'm pretty sure they all will eventually, unless you know something I don't

Fine.

Someone in that photo is going to die a lot sooner than they might have otherwise because of a COVID-19 infection they got from going Gencon. Maybe more than one someone.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

BlackIronHeart posted:

Is there any data on COVID transmission at PAX West? That was at the beginning of September. They had a vaccine (or negative test) requirement. GenCon isn't requiring vaccination status because they can't legally enforce it but a survey of attendants revealed around a 90% vaxxed level.
That's pretty great, actually. It won't help as much as it would have a few months ago - delta is a nasty fucker - but that's way, way better than I thought.

Rhandhali posted:

Fine.

Someone in that photo is going to die a lot sooner than they might have otherwise because of a COVID-19 infection they got from going Gencon. Maybe more than one someone.
Sorry, I was going off the Valhalla bit.

But yeah, it wouldn't surprise me :(

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business
my gencon record virtually guarentees that if i went i'd be the first victim of the sigma variant, which as i understand it is a sort of lone wolf who doesn't care what other people think.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

dwarf74 posted:

That's pretty great, actually. It won't help as much as it would have a few months ago - delta is a nasty fucker - but that's way, way better than I thought.

I can say this Gencon is way, way less populated, way more spaced out, and I've seen literally 1 person without a mask in the con and they were center staff. I've seen maybe 5 people dicknosing their masks. I wish they could mandate vaccines but this is Indiana and I imagine they'd get sued into oblivion if they tried.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

You can have the last word, but I'll have the last laugh!
Jason Bulmahn, Paizo's director of game design, wrote a response to Jessica Price's allegations regarding dick pics and other things:

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

open_sketchbook posted:

my gencon record virtually guarentees that if i went i'd be the first victim of the sigma variant, which as i understand it is a sort of lone wolf who doesn't care what other people think.

How much does it cost to fly down there from your part in Canada? For me, the flight is a grand, which is baffling since it costs like 200 bucks to fly to vegas, which is farther away.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Like, I'm not finger-pointing at anyone on SA, but Gencon is the 3rd high profile gaming con this month (PAX West, DragonCon), and also the most visible for industry action (see also: throwing out the TGG CEO last night). So, I do turn a critical eye to all the Twitter folks crawling out of the woodwork going "Can you believe GenCon is even happening??? Like, comment, and subscribe for more hot takes!", when they were radio silent during the previous events.

Personally, I'm vaxxed, support vax and mask mandates, am from a very blue state, have been masking everywhere, both at home and here, whenever out in public, even beyond what's legally required, have been limiting contact, and will be quarantining when I get home. I was ready to cancel my Gencon plans until they reversed their stance on masking, still had a lot of reservations about coming, and am adjusting my behavior on the ground to minimize risks. If I had walked into the hall this morning and seen what the pictures posted had shown, I probably would have turned around and left, and holed up in my hotel room for the week meeting friends in more controlled areas. But, I also would have gone all weekend not knowing that happened if I had not gone on SA, because nothing I've seen here looks remotely like that. While, that was a fuckup, I'm expecting that having been put on blast for it will have them making better prep for tomorrow. Additionally, the photos don't look as dire to me, I think, because I'm familiar with the location in question, and how it looks in prior years, and the photos are taken at an angle that gives a visibly skewed perspective of how many people are there and how dense it is. While it's not ideal, people are not packed in like sardines like some influencers are suggesting.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Toshimo posted:

Like, I'm not finger-pointing at anyone on SA, but Gencon is the 3rd high profile gaming con this month (PAX West, DragonCon), and also the most visible for industry action (see also: throwing out the TGG CEO last night). So, I do turn a critical eye to all the Twitter folks crawling out of the woodwork going "Can you believe GenCon is even happening??? Like, comment, and subscribe for more hot takes!", when they were radio silent during the previous events.

Personally, I'm vaxxed, support vax and mask mandates, am from a very blue state, have been masking everywhere, both at home and here, whenever out in public, even beyond what's legally required, have been limiting contact, and will be quarantining when I get home. I was ready to cancel my Gencon plans until they reversed their stance on masking, still had a lot of reservations about coming, and am adjusting my behavior on the ground to minimize risks. If I had walked into the hall this morning and seen what the pictures posted had shown, I probably would have turned around and left, and holed up in my hotel room for the week meeting friends in more controlled areas. But, I also would have gone all weekend not knowing that happened if I had not gone on SA, because nothing I've seen here looks remotely like that. While, that was a fuckup, I'm expecting that having been put on blast for it will have them making better prep for tomorrow. Additionally, the photos don't look as dire to me, I think, because I'm familiar with the location in question, and how it looks in prior years, and the photos are taken at an angle that gives a visibly skewed perspective of how many people are there and how dense it is. While it's not ideal, people are not packed in like sardines like some influencers are suggesting.

I've seen plenty of people talking about DragonCon, largely because the vaccine test protocols were ignored and there were unvaxed people with Covid walking around at the event, or at least that's the talk that i have seen.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Libertad! posted:

Jason Bulmahn, Paizo's director of game design, wrote a response to Jessica Price's allegations regarding dick pics and other things:

He's basically just admitting to everything here, right?

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Libertad! posted:

My "It was a consensual dick pic" shirt is raising more questions etc etc etc

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Hel posted:

I'm not sure dieing of self inflicted plague at a games convention counts as an honorable battle, so you wouldn't be going to Valhall anyway.

Username post combo

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I like the part where he says 'Yeah we had some great external applicants, but once we actually got to see them in person without all the race/gender/sexuality/everything identifiers stripped off, woof, boy we found an internal promotion real fast I tell you'

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Notahippie posted:

My "It was a consensual dick pic" shirt is raising more questions etc etc etc

Forgive me if I cannot tell if this is a joke or something he actually wore.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

HopperUK posted:

He denies the hiring allegations but in a way that admits to it and pretty much admits to the rest, yeah. The other people involved have made much more forceful denials, but they're not looking so great with this plus multiple corroborations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Libertad! posted:

Forgive me if I cannot tell if this is a joke or something he actually wore.

It's a reference to this tweet:

https://twitter.com/shutupmikeginn/status/403359911481839617?lang=en

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

HopperUK posted:

That was certainly my read.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

senrath posted:

He denies the hiring allegations but in a way that admits to it and pretty much admits to the rest, yeah. The other people involved have made much more forceful denials, but they're not looking so great with this plus multiple corroborations.

I mean, Mona’s denial is utterly implausible unless he, the dude fascinated by occultism and into Victorian Theosophy, knows literally nothing about Victorian Theosophy and Jessica Price is lying about having spoken to him.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, Mona’s denial is utterly implausible unless he, the dude fascinated by occultism and into Victorian Theosophy, knows literally nothing about Victorian Theosophy and Jessica Price is lying about having spoken to him.

Oh, yes, but he was much more forceful about it!

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Mors Rattus posted:

That was certainly my read.

He can't deny any of it because it's all written down. He asked out Jessica Price via messenger. I assume the dick picks weren't physical, inspector-gadget style bombs either, so he can't really go "n-no i didnt", especially since Price keeps receipts hardcore. At least he didn't use the Mentzer defense.

open_sketchbook
Feb 26, 2017

the only genius in the whole fucking business

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

How much does it cost to fly down there from your part in Canada? For me, the flight is a grand, which is baffling since it costs like 200 bucks to fly to vegas, which is farther away.

I'm close enough to Toronto that I could probably head there, skip a connection, and do it fairly cheap, but I'm not sure how to look that up accurately during the Con Times. probably like 500 bucks though?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

He can't deny any of it because it's all written down. He asked out Jessica Price via messenger. I assume the dick picks weren't physical, inspector-gadget style bombs either, so he can't really go "n-no i didnt", especially since Price keeps receipts hardcore. At least he didn't use the Mentzer defense.

I'm pretty fuzzy on who everyone is, but does this mean I should not be buying any Pathfinder books? I was about to get really interested in after playing Pathfinder:WotR. Is at the same level as the Broken Token CEO?

Pakxos
Mar 21, 2020

Comstar posted:

I'm pretty fuzzy on who everyone is, but does this mean I should not be buying any Pathfinder books? I was about to get really interested in after playing Pathfinder:WotR. Is at the same level as the Broken Token CEO?

I wouldn't. Since these are management/Leadership being horrible people, your dollar is what they use to prove how successful they are in the industry. And it is a shame, because with what I am seeing as this whole mess unfolds, everyone (non-management) working on Pathfinder, even the ones targeted, harassed and underpaid, really believed in what they were doing and probably want PF to be successful.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
As far as I can tell, the only ethical thing to do is to create a company large enough to rival Paizo in the TRPG space, unionize, and then poach away their entire staff.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Libertad! posted:

This is possibly an obvious point, but since it's a really common hiring mistake that Jason doesn't realize even now I'm going to hammer on it a bit.

"... the resumes were sorted based on their experience with our game or similar experience in the industry. Those who met the requirements were sent a design test."

When you have a non-diverse group of employees, along with a non-diverse industry, that's one way you perpetuate the lack of diversity. The trick is that you need to have experience in the industry before you meet the requirements, and if you don't meet the requirements you don't have any way to get the experience you need. The problem becomes self-perpetuating. The people perpetuating it probably don't even realize why this is bad, as evidenced by the fact that Jason thinks that his explanation eliminates the potential for problems.

You need to figure out how to interview for potential and for non-standard experience. Otherwise you just keep getting more of the same.

Libertad!
Oct 30, 2013

Comstar posted:

As a compromise measure, buying 3rd party Pathfinder books doesn't give any money to Paizo.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Tendales posted:

I like the part where he says 'Yeah we had some great external applicants, but once we actually got to see them in person without all the race/gender/sexuality/everything identifiers stripped off, woof, boy we found an internal promotion real fast I tell you'

The part that spins me round is "I hope to add an even wider variety of voices in the future, but this last round of hiring did not give us that opportunity," as if this was the work of a mysterious external force and not a decision Paizo made :staredog:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I’ve been to enough GenCon’s that my immediate reaction to that photo was “wow, that’s not that many people for the opening of the expo hall”

But yes, that’s not good.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

sportsgenius86 posted:

I’ve been to enough GenCon’s that my immediate reaction to that photo was “wow, that’s not that many people for the opening of the expo hall”

But yes, that’s not good.
Yeah.

Same picture, 2019 "Wow, Gen Con is dying."
Same picture, 2021 "This is anxiety-inducing and basically gore"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Toshimo posted:

Going to those conventions, or in fact any convention right now, is just as terrible an idea, I don't know why you think people are somehow singling GenCon out as special in this regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've never been to a con, but if I absolutely really had to for whatever reason, going in with a P100 respirator should keep one relatively safe. The problem has always been that:

- people don't wear masks that are that effective
- people don't collectively wear masks, which would improve the margins even if the masks are only cloth/surgical
- people take off their masks to eat/speak/etc

zachol posted:

Considering it's pretty standard for people to get sick from conventions regardless, I'm curious whether one with masking and distancing could lead to fewer instances of sickness than usual (while still being more serious, with going to a con right now still being a bad idea) or even more sickness than usual regardless.

if it were not COVID times, going to a con in a mask would probably really help cut down in cases of "con crud". Remember that [regular] flu was almost completely crushed in 2020 even with the very rudimentary precautions and mitigations implemented in the US (with COVID specifically still spreading regardless because it's that much more infectious)