Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jakabite posted:

Fahrenheit actually is quite a good system imo. I had it explained to me by an American once that 100 is hot, 0 is really cold. That seems to make sense to me. That said I like centigrade because a few degrees is actually significant.

I just treated myself to an EOS850D. I now need to learn to take actually good photos. It’s quite nifty though, and the touch screen isn’t a massive pain in the arse like on a GoPro. I’d forgotten how satisfying the little clicky noise cameras make is.

good news

100 is hot and 0 really cold in centigrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CancerCakes posted:

Fair enough, I'm happy with manual focus and zoom so it works for me, and I just take pictures of friends and family for fun so if I miss focus its no biggy. APS sensors are seriously good, and you can also use fringing settings and quick point zoom for focussing, so you can get near as dammit pretty easily.

Re the diaphragm actuator I think there is probably a setting to digitally brighten the scene (blow the iso up) when not taking the picture and then move it down to what you set on firing the (non-existant) shutter. I highly recommend having a body you can use with your lenses - I get a lot more joy from mine now on the a6000 than I did when they were sitting in an old camera bag next to my canon a1 collecting dust.

I've got a Pentax DSLR (K-7) which I never bother to take anywhere any more because my phone (Pixel 5) is as good as it in almost any circumstance that doesn't need really good optics (and *shitloads* better in low light and for video).

To be honest this is a process that I started back when mobile phones were bigger than cameras - I had a couple of good film SLRs and a shitload of really good lenses (like I say you could pick up really loving good poo poo at car boot sales because people wanted rid of their old-fashioned kit to replace it with an Olympus Mju or something) but most of my favourite pictures (and almost all of the ones I managed to sell) were taken with a non-flash disposable camera because I could have that with me at all times without looking like a weirdo.

Now I'm looking up the people that are making not-bad optics designed to mount to phone cases because it *would* be nice to have a decent telephoto on my phone camera.

e: Also holy poo poo Pentax K2s and KMs are going cheap on eBay and I'm tempted to buy one just as *decoration* because they're so pretty.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Sep 16, 2021

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

When I started thinking of fahrenheit as a percentage level of temperature, I realised, yeah, that makes sense

still prefer centigrade tho

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
building regs (well NHBC tech standards) for fixing a wall plate strap into masonry specify a no.12 wood screw which is 7/32 inches (5.6mm) at 50mm which you can probably just about buy but its a struggle and then specify 'suitable rawl plugs'. Which you can't.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Centigrade/Celsius makes the most sense to me as 100 means its loving boiling! and 0 means it's loving freezing!

Simple to visualise for everyday use, Kelvin for everything else. :v:

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Good news, for once. My local library has started loaning out DIY kit and household items.

There's no loving books, mind.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/politicsforali/status/1438611449258119170

At least some good is coming out of Brexit.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

building regs (well NHBC tech standards) for fixing a wall plate strap into masonry specify a no.12 wood screw which is 7/32 inches (5.6mm) at 50mm which you can probably just about buy but its a struggle and then specify 'suitable rawl plugs'. Which you can't.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/spax-yellox-pz-countersunk-yellox-woodscrews-6-x-50mm-100-pack/45862

https://www.screwfix.com/p/fischer-duopower-wall-plugs-6-x-30mm-100-pack/1030p#_=p

?????

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
It's weird though when you think about temperature.
You can only have finite coldness, but near infinity hotness.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

I mean, in the sense that your speedometer doesn't go negative, as you can only have finite stillness.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Comrade Fakename posted:

At least some good is coming out of Brexit.
Downside is the only approved food will be Cameron/pig hybrids.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats a 6mm screw, not a no.12 (5.5mm) screw

and a 6mm rawlplug at 30 mm

expert advice says you need a 7mm(brown) rawlplug for 5 or 5.5mm screws, god knows what a !!! 6mm!!! screw would need. but certainly the 30mm is a stumbling block.

I have so had enough of it

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Holy poo poo something good actually happened on Question Time:

https://twitter.com/keejayov3/status/1438625845271306243

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

happyhippy posted:

It's also weird to me that we're closer to absolute zero than we are to likw, fire, or molten metal.

Edit: is there a maximum temperature where things just stop being atoms? Ions and plasma can have temperature, but if you go further does temperature even have any meaning?

Strom Cuzewon fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 16, 2021

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats a 6mm screw, not a no.12 (5.5mm) screw

and a 6mm rawlplug at 30 mm

expert advice says you need a 7mm(brown) rawlplug for 5 or 5.5mm screws, god knows what a !!! 6mm!!! screw would need. but certainly the 30mm is a stumbling block.

I have so had enough of it

I'm far from an expert, but the way I solved this problem was, if the instructions say you need say 4 mm screws of 50 mm length (and plugs), I'd instead use 7 mm screws of 65 mm length or something like that which I was able to easily buy together with suitable plugs

Overkill = best kill

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

jaete posted:

I'm far from an expert, but the way I solved this problem was if the instructions say you need say 4 mm screws of 50 mm length (and plugs), I'd instead use 7 mm screws of 65 mm length or something like that which I was able to easily buy together with suitable plugs

paslode gun

Overkill = best kill

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

yeah but how do you use that on a metal strap? My aim isn't that good

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

learnincurve posted:

His maths is wrong 25p a lb is not 55p a kilo

Edit: oh I see they want to make it legal to sell kilos at a higher price because hateful gammons

A kilo is 2.2lb so the maths are right there

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You actually look closer to your avatar than I imagined (I imagine all goons to look like either Sue Perkins or Robbie Coltrane, gender irrelevant, and am seldom proven wrong).

My wife has always called me Hagrid, tbf. Not so much Sue Perkins.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

feedmegin posted:

My wife has always called me Hagrid, tbf. Not so much Sue Perkins.

Maybe if Sue knew you better she'd feel comfortable enough to give you a nickname like that

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Strom Cuzewon posted:

It's also weird to me that we're closer to absolute zero than we are to likw, fire, or molten metal.

Edit: is there a maximum temperature where things just stop being atoms? Ions and plasma can have temperature, but if you go further does temperature even have any meaning?

Unknown on the maximum temperature thing, but yes on the atoms falling apart. There is quark-gluon plasma, where the tempereture is sufficient for protons and neutrons to fall apart into free quantum particles.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Ornedan posted:

Unknown on the maximum temperature thing, but yes on the atoms falling apart. There is quark-gluon plasma, where the tempereture is sufficient for protons and neutrons to fall apart into free quantum particles.

ok but what rawlplugs do I need to pass building regs?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We're going back to when Britain was great, all rawlplugs have to be made of plum pudding atoms.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Just letting shops sell things by whatever metric they want is also a popular gov policy coz they don't actually have to do anything themselves, same with the crowns on pints

The purpose of every mp is to perform no real function but still go on telly, pass money around and occasionally get red and swollen with blood and try to bomb somewhere

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Ornedan posted:

Apparently it would require a loooot of energy but eventually you make a black hole.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kugelblitz_(astrophysics)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I cook from British cookbooks occasionally, and I always wonder what a Gas Mark is, and why gas ovens don't just go by temperatures.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Guavanaut posted:

Fahrenheit/Celsius is slightly removed from all the other metric/imperials chat but gets dragged in because it's got the same sense of "what we used to use when Britain was [good/bad]" and "what we use now because of [Europe/ease of use]" but there's uses for both, neither are SI, and everyone with a gas cooker is likely using an even crazier conversion of Fahrenheit without thinking about it, but cooking doesn't have to be that numerically precise anyway, whereas everything with chemistry or electronics will only be in Celsius now. (e: except the sort of chemistry or electronics that uses Kelvin and something bad is about to happen, either mathematically or in general)

But Fahrenheit is as Continental as it gets, and makes more sense for Northern Europe than it does for the US, going from 'about as cold as it ever gets in Copenhagen' to 'about as hot as it ever gets in Copenhagen' which also mostly works for Britain, whereas the US is like -40 (both F and C) up to like 120+ (F but maybe C in the near future).

Doesn't help that Radio 1 spent decades drilling the perfect mnemonic for body temperature into our heads for decades either.

We don't use fahrenheit here either and we mostly think of it's existence as an irritant.

When it comes to F and imperial units, the best advice I can give is, stop learning it, stop teaching it to young people. They'll die faster then.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yes, Europe abandoned their Hanseatic son for a Swedish poet, but it doesn't make it the exact same Romanticism v. Enlightenment thing as the English units vs. French metric thing, if only because of the comparative recency of temperature being a measurable thing compared to length/mass/volume.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I cook from British cookbooks occasionally, and I always wonder what a Gas Mark is, and why gas ovens don't just go by temperatures.

Gas Mark was a way to simplify the dials to set the regulator rather than the temperature, in the days before ovens had proper thermostats to control the temperature precisely. Gas Mark 1 is 275 degrees Fahrenheit, every step in either direction is 25 degrees.

Incidentally, Gas Mark is the reason why most supermarket ready meals are oven cooked at a temperature of 190 degrees Celsius - 190 deg C is Gas Mark 5.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It comes from the first gas ovens which weren't temperature-controlled but flow-controlled, the same way hobs are - they were sort-of standardised by the war (IIRC it's something like 1 is 250 fahrenheit and 10 is 500) but until the change to North Sea gas from producer/town gas they weren't commonly thermostat-controlled (the change isn't related to the switch, it's just a lot of people replaced their cookers around that time because of the change).

Now of course we mostly keep it on because That's The Way It's Done but there is something to be said for the idea that it's not helpful to use temperatures for (most) gas ovens as they're normally much more stratified than electric ovens (especially fan-assisted ones) - the variation between the top and bottom of most ovens is at least 10 degrees C which is both annoying but also useful if done right - i.e. you can do Yorkshire pudding (gas mark 9) on the top shelf while doing roast potatoes (8) on the shelf below and parsnips and other roast veg (7/8) on the bottom (most ovens are calibrated so the gas mark refers to the middle shelf position)

Also saying "Increase to gas mark 9" makes it sound like you're piloting a spaceship.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Also saying "Increase to gas mark 9" makes it sound like you're piloting a spaceship.

A lovely spaceship. I want all my spaceships to be 100% electric (and have no Elon musks attached)

I'll also settle for nuke/naquada powered spaceships.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"As such, it seems that the highest possible known temperature is 142 nonillion kelvins (1032 K.). This is the highest temperature that we know of according to the standard model of particle physics, which is the physics that underlies and governs our universe. Beyond this, physics starts to breakdown."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

they're normally much more stratified than electric ovens (especially fan-assisted ones) - the variation between the top and bottom of most ovens is at least 10 degrees C which is both annoying but also useful if done right
I still do this by force of habit with a fan oven. Potatoes and 'high roast' goes on top, meat or meat substitute goes in the middle, delicate veg on the bottom, and plates for warming on the actual bottom surface.

It never works as well as with gas (or really at all), but doing it any other way feels like this
https://twitter.com/MattAndersonNYT/status/772002757222002688

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Brendan Rodgers posted:

"As such, it seems that the highest possible known temperature is 142 nonillion kelvins (1032 K.). This is the highest temperature that we know of according to the standard model of particle physics, which is the physics that underlies and governs our universe. Beyond this, physics starts to breakdown."

Either covert this to Gas Marks or leave Britane immediately :btroll:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

I see this observation a lot, and I think it's a good rule-of-thumb, but like all English there's gonna be many exceptions so "sounding like a maniac" is a bit much. I think you'll probably sound like a maniac if you use 13 adjectives to describe your Noun regardless

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
otoh putting your roast potatoes on the bottom shelf always sounds like some kind of grave threat to moral hygiene

Failed Imagineer posted:

Either covert this to Gas Marks or leave Britane immediately :btroll:
1966 noncillion saviles

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
Metric system is so much better designed and easier to calculate with and use than Imperial that you'd have to be moronic to want to go back.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flayer posted:

Metric system is so much better designed and easier to calculate with and use than Imperial that you'd have to be moronic to want to go back.

Well, yes.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
https://twitter.com/letshugbro/status/1438110445613760513

Thatcher Returns!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Failed Imagineer posted:

I see this observation a lot, and I think it's a good rule-of-thumb, but like all English there's gonna be many exceptions so "sounding like a maniac" is a bit much. I think you'll probably sound like a maniac if you use 13 adjectives to describe your Noun regardless

Yeah pretty much, he's definitely exaggerating for comic effect. I have the book that quote is from and it's a very entertaining read.

E: since it's not mentioned in the Twitter, the book is The Elements of Eloquence by Mark Forsyth