Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

no....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

ethanol posted:

let me just say as i buy this stupid truck that costs a million dollars a month in gas i wish i could drive the prius (with an msrp that is probably 40% less)

What do you do that you need the Offroad version taco?
Just curious is all.

Also hell yeah that you found one thats going to show up in just a few weeks instead of a few months!! :hfive:

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

i offroad at work in mud and snow, and jeeps are designed by satan

and they look cool, chrome bumpers on the sr5 are gross

edit: I've had a nice trial run with the access cab, it was great but the lack of backseats became more of a nuisance than the concern over high centering (which can be equalized with a lift). I may not have kids but now I can haul coworkers when I need to and I can throw gear I need to lockup in the backseat. Also in a bivouac, it might slightly increase my survival chances if I have to sleep back there.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Sep 17, 2021

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I think this is the first legitimate answer to "why do you need an off-road vehicle" question. Congratulations!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was going to say "lease a Leaf" because they were offering an $89/mo lease option on those but it appears that offer went away in the last few weeks.

The number of people who would be perfect candidates for a lease of a Leaf is so, so much higher than the number of Leafs you see in the wild.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

The number of people who would be perfect candidates for a lease of a Leaf is so, so much higher than the number of Leafs you see in the wild.

That had to be an incredible deal, if I still commuted to work it'd immediately pay for itself the first time I didn't have to fill up.

Well if it's a lease, who gives a poo poo.
vvv

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Sep 18, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The gigantic caveat with a Leaf - and the only reason I didn't lease one the first time they dropped to ~$200ish a month back around 2013 - is that they don't actively manage battery temperature. In more temperate climates this is fine. In extreme (especially hot) climates, this means the battery degrades severely. With how little range the first gen Leaf had to start with, it was absolutely possible that within a three year lease timeframe, I wouldn't have enough battery capacity left to drive from home to work and back without any out-of-the-way driving. But this also would have still been within the realm of what Nissan considers a "healthy" battery.

The new Leafs (leaves?) still have this problem, but they start off with much more range. But whenever I get dragged back into the office kicking and screaming, I think I'll take my chances on a battery-replaced Bolt instead of a Leaf, since my commute is even longer now. Or scrounge for something not-total-poo poo and cheap to run for under $5k and wait for the Kia/Hyundai EVs to come down.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

mobby_6kl posted:

Well if it's a lease, who gives a poo poo.
vvv

Presumably they'd like to successfully drive back and forth to work without worrying about battery capacity during the lease.

Also, the vvv edit-reply thing means you're replying to a person in a manner that makes it unlikely that they'll see your reply (since nothing in the system indicates to them that you've replied that way), and makes people reading your post not know what you're replying to. Please just reply in a new post.

Shine fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Sep 19, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Or, and hear me out, we implement a rule where you can only have one post and all edit-replies list the number of posts above or below you you're replying to and we can make a game out of trying to read it all like a puzzle.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

KillHour posted:

Or, and hear me out, we implement a rule where you can only have one post and all edit-replies list the number of posts above or below you you're replying to and we can make a game out of trying to read it all like a puzzle.

I swear to god :psyduck:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

GOTO 10

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Shine posted:

Presumably they'd like to successfully drive back and forth to work without worrying about battery capacity during the lease.

Also, the vvv edit-reply thing means you're replying to a person in a manner that makes it unlikely that they'll see your reply (since nothing in the system indicates to them that you've replied that way), and makes people reading your post not know what you're replying to. Please just reply in a few post.

This all around. If 20-24 months into a three year lease I have a car I can't commute in, but Nissan considers "within normal parameters", sucks to be me.

And this isn't "lol range anxiety", real world highway mileage on first gen Leaf batteries was down in the 50-60 mile range on batteries that weren't bad enough to get a warranty replacement. My commute was a bit over 50 miles round trip, all highway, and heavy HVAC use most of the year.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Is the $89/month lease because of $10,000 dawn payment or what?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nitrox posted:

Is the $89/month lease because of $10,000 dawn payment or what?

Because PLEEEEEASSSSSEEEEE help us lower our CAFE so we can make money selling trucks and SUVs.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Also, the Leaf has sold so poorly over the last decade that Nissan still counts for the federal $7500 tax credit, where GM and Tesla don't. On a lease that comes off up front.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Jfc just started looking at a new car and apparently people are paying thousands in dealer markup?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

dkj posted:

Jfc just started looking at a new car and apparently people are paying thousands in dealer markup?

lol welcome to the thread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dkj posted:

Yeah, the market sucks for buyers right now. The longer you can wait the better off you'll be.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

lol welcome to the thread.

a dealer just emailed me this.

edit: I don't even know what nitro or waxoyl are. I assume some sort of coating thing.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 19, 2021

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Name and shame.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Deteriorata posted:

Yeah, the market sucks for buyers right now. The longer you can wait the better off you'll be.

I can’t wait. I have to buy a car this week.

Going to guess I won’t be able to grind price on any used cars either. Maybe worth it to just buy from Carvana or something since I’m obviously going to hit full pop either way?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

KillHour posted:

Name and shame.

lol it's toyota Manchester NH

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

dkj posted:

I can’t wait. I have to buy a car this week.

Going to guess I won’t be able to grind price on any used cars either. Maybe worth it to just buy from Carvana or something since I’m obviously going to hit full pop either way?

Used cars are even worse. My advice would be to buy the cheapest thing you can stand and plan to replace it in a year or two.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Have they added "no lowballs, I know what I've got" to their form letters yet?

If you can buy new and are in a mass market body style and equipment level I think you can still generally get in for MSRP, with maybe a wait for the shipment to come in.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

around the northeast there are a handful of toyota dealers who only do MSRP, I just had to call around and ask. by handful I mean like I've found 3 out of 15 maybe.

the attempts to hide MSRP by some dealers is also insane to me, like when I ask to even see MSRP, the gig is up, total mental breakdown. one guy even sent me a second hand written price on a piece of paper after the first time I said please send me the window sticker MSRP.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 19, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

edit: I don't even know what nitro or waxoyl are. I assume some sort of coating thing.

Waxoil is good stuff, but if you want to get it done git it done somewhere that's not a dealer. It's just a temporary-ish undercoating/rustproofing (like, it's not paint, it's just heated up cosmoline that gets sprayed on).

"Nitro" is them upcharging you to fill your tires with nitrogen........which as I'm sure you know is already 78% of the air you breathe.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
What's the latest estimate on when things will go back to "normal?" Mid-late 2022?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

2023 and the new "normal" will be 20-30% higher prices than before and we'll be like "glad that's over"

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Residency Evil posted:

What's the latest estimate on when things will go back to "normal?" Mid-late 2022?

Most of what I've read has been predicting that the chip shortage should ease by the end of the year and stuff should be getting back to normal by next year. So your estimate of mid-2022 is probably pretty good.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

When you see a model year crank up that isn't hosed on supply then I'm gonna guess 6-12 months after that.

But remember, this isn't just chip shortages and other supply chain issues now. If we keep losing 300,000+ of the fleet on a regular basis (as Ida did) all bets are off.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

KillHour posted:

2023 and the new "normal" will be 20-30% higher prices than before and we'll be like "glad that's over"

I feel this is optimistic, the pessimist in me thinks it might be as late as 2025 before we get 100% back to “normal”.

We might never get back there. Dealers and manufacturers are loving the profits in the current environment and I can see them purposely constraining production on purpose to keep prices high.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

skipdogg posted:

We might never get back there. Dealers and manufacturers are loving the profits in the current environment and I can see them purposely constraining production on purpose to keep prices high.

Dealers maybe but manufacturers aren't seeing benefits from this unless you think of angry customers as a benefit.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

I feel this is optimistic, the pessimist in me thinks it might be as late as 2025 before we get 100% back to “normal”.

Yeah, manufacturers make more money selling more cars. I don't think they love the current situation.

I'll be curious how this plays out in a few years though. There were some articles on how dealers aren't going to order as many cars in the future, more people will orders cars, less people will buy cars off the lot, etc. I'm skeptical to see if that holds true. Seems like many people in the US are used to showing up and driving off with whatever's on the lot, ASAP. More volume also means more service volume for dealers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

I'll be curious how this plays out in a few years though. There were some articles on how dealers aren't going to order as many cars in the future, more people will orders cars, less people will buy cars off the lot, etc. I'm skeptical to see if that holds true. Seems like many people in the US are used to showing up and driving off with whatever's on the lot, ASAP. More volume also means more service volume for dealers.

Those articles are bullshit. Most of the dealership's money come from people essentially impulse buying vehicles. The last thing in the world any car salesman wants is you going home with time to actually THINK about it.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

it's still easy to get a new prius, for the record

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

so totaling my truck and buying a new one, contract signed tonight, picking up tomorrow... my interest rate went from 3.17 on the old loan to 2.5% on this one so that's pretty alright. I ended up getting a truck that is 2-3k more and payments went down a bit

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

ethanol posted:

it's still easy to get a new prius, for the record

Maybe it varies by region? There are only 37 listed within 500 miles of Houston (so basically all of TX, LA, AR and OK) on Autotrader.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Sep 23, 2021

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

Maybe it varies by region? There are only 37 listed within 500 miles of Houston (so basically all of TX, LA, AR and OK) on Autotrader.

well I only checked two weeks ago but checking now there's def way less

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I've been thinking about replacing my Challenger, now that it's pushing 75k miles. I love it, it has a big V8 and a 6-speed but I don't drive it in the winter and it's a little cramped on long car rides for my backseat riders.

Wouldn't be until next year at the earliest, maybe even never... but if I did, I'd like to know what I'd buy.

Proposed Budget: Under 40k should do it, I hope. Preferably under 35k.
New or Used: Used
Body Style: Wagon
How will you be using the car?: Daily driver, year round, road trips. No towing.
What aspects are most important to you? (e.g. reliability, cost of ownership/maintenance, import/domestic, MPG, size, style) I want something fun to drive while also pleasant to live with. I'd like a manual transmission but I'm aware that's going to be pretty impossible in a modern wagon, so I'm OK letting it go. AWD would be nice, though I'd get snow tires for the winter. I don't care about any kind of autonomous stuff beyond standard cruise control - ideally I wouldn't get any lane detection, radar cruise, or self-driving stuff, but I'm aware it's 2021 and that may be hard to avoid. Basically a fun-to-drive wagon is what I'm looking for. I'm in Indiana by the way.

I have driven a Volvo V90 and it's pretty high on the list. I don't care much for the drivetrain, though. I don't think it was a T5 that I drove, so maybe that would make things better. Still a big fan though, just don't know how they hold up, and there isn't a Volvo dealer near me. Closest one is maybe 60 miles.

I also really like modern Audis. I don't know much about them other than they're pretty, though.

Modern BMWs and Mercedes don't really do anything for me (and I used to be a big BMW fanboy too). I've driven modern BMWs and they're nice enough, so they're not off of the list, just not high.

I drove a Buick Regal TourX and I loved the functionality but it drove like hot garbage. I was really disappointed because I really liked it otherwise.

Anything else I'm missing? Any suggestions out of those? I think the thing that scares me the most out of all of them is the complexity - my Challenger has an iron block fairly low-tech V8 and a manual, and not much else in terms of drivetrain complexity. I feel confident driving it long distances knowing that even for a Dodge, I don't have to worry much about breaking down. I don't feel as confident in any of those other vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

2018-2020 Jaguar XF S Sportbrake: 3.0L Supercharged V6, AWD, Nice interior, can have all the bells and whistles or none. Should be mid to upper 40s.

Bought mine 4 months ago, miss the stick in my GTI, but the comfort and space are worth the trade off. Trans is nice too.

Edit: also

Mustache Ride fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 27, 2021