Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Failed Imagineer posted:

Makes sense, Australians are monstrous enough at the best of times

No arguments here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Makes sense, Australians are monstrous enough at the best of times

I used to think Australia was Alright, but once I saw this I just cannot look at them the same way.

Don't open if you're faint of heart or have Children around
:nws:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_bread :nws:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

This melody is Russian. TBF I had no idea the name of the song was Free Russia, as there's no mention of Russia in the lyrics, and they're perfectly applicable to Finland. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vapaa_Ven%C3%A4j%C3%A4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haiYhza0vqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJt_JdFwLw0

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

The game "Phantom Doctrine" is named "Phantom Doctrine", not "Phoenix Protocol", which isn't a game at all. I have no idea why, but I keep getting the name wrong.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Hyperlynx posted:

The game "Phantom Doctrine" is named "Phantom Doctrine", not "Phoenix Protocol", which isn't a game at all. I have no idea why, but I keep getting the name wrong.

Because you're thinking of Phoenix Point which is a different XCOM-like game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I am literally minutes from having learned that rice doesn't really need to grow underwater, it just makes it easier to prevent pests and weeds :psyduck:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Captain Hygiene posted:

I am literally minutes from having learned that rice doesn't really need to grow underwater, it just makes it easier to prevent pests and weeds :psyduck:

It's okay, I always thought that was how they harvested rice and turns out I was conflating it with cranberries

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
The Atlantic Ocean is named after Atlas

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
:wrong:
It's actually named for Atlanta, Georgia since that's the ocean you need to take if you want to get there from Europe.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Gojira and Godzilla are the same guy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Organza Quiz posted:

Gojira and Godzilla are the same guy.

I have some big news about Mosura and Kingu Gidora, but not about Gamera

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

It has taken me almost thirty years to recognise the pun in Candyman re: Helen Lyle.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

that door frames are incredibly easy to break on accident

like holy poo poo it was real easy to break into my apartment.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

tight aspirations posted:

It has taken me almost thirty years to recognise the pun in Candyman re: Helen Lyle.

You’re gonna have to explain this one. I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times and I don’t know what the pun is.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
As noted previously, I am bad at music.

NiN and Nirvana are not the same thing, and offhand I can't name a single song by either that's not Teen Spirit.

Edit: I also hate Teen Spirit

Beachcomber has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Sep 17, 2021

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Imperador do Brasil posted:

You’re gonna have to explain this one. I’ve seen the movie a bunch of times and I don’t know what the pun is.

Ok, having dwelt a bit further on it I might be reaching somewhat, but Tate & Lyle is a famous producer of sweet products, such as sugar and golden syrup.

Helen's last name is Lyle, while Robitaille was an artist and the Tate is a famous art institution which was endowed, funded and started by Henry Tate (of Tate & Lyle).

Tate and Lyle were actively producing products in the 1800s so there's even possibly a link (which is explored by the Tate itself) to slavery connected to sugar.

In retrospect I shouldn't have called it a pun, more a reference.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Ok, having dwelt a bit further on it I might be reaching somewhat, but Tate & Lyle is a famous producer of sweet products, such as sugar and golden syrup.

Helen's last name is Lyle, while Robitaille was an artist and the Tate is a famous art institution which was endowed, funded and started by Henry Tate (of Tate & Lyle).

Tate and Lyle were actively producing products in the 1800s so there's even possibly a link (which is explored by the Tate itself) to slavery connected to sugar.

Thank you for explaining, I spent far too long saying “Helen Lyle” out loud and all I got was a strange look from my cat.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Thank you for explaining, I spent far too long saying “Helen Lyle” out loud and all I got was a strange look from my cat.

Yeah similarly I said it so many times in my head that it began to lose all meaning.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That actually doesn't seem like a reach at all, and is one of the more subtle references. Also didn't know that Tate was related to that Tate, pretty neat!

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Last night somehow the "why do birds suddenly appear" song came to mind, and I recalled a moment in the Simpsons where it was playing over and over and getting lodged into Lisa's subconscious, and I was a little stuck trying to figure out exactly what episode it was, so I was looking it up. It was the one where they bought a new doorbell from "Señor Ding-Dong".

I can't prove this, but it seems fairly likely that's a double entendre. "Seen your ding dong."

Beachcomber posted:

NiN and Nirvana are not the same thing, and offhand I can't name a single song by either that's not Teen Spirit.

Same aesthetic, but basically totally different genre.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I don’t really see any aesthetic similarities either. Just angst.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Yeah, it's not even the same kind of angst. Although admittedly that's a "you have to listen to the lyrics" kind of difference.

Beachcomber posted:

Given your own admission, I'm curious: what kind of music do you like? I have a friend who only listens to music when he's in a dance club -- at all other times it might as well be the sound of TV static.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Trabant posted:

Yeah, it's not even the same kind of angst. Although admittedly that's a "you have to listen to the lyrics" kind of difference.

Given your own admission, I'm curious: what kind of music do you like? I have a friend who only listens to music when he's in a dance club -- at all other times it might as well be the sound of TV static.

I'm the one who likes classic rock, which I listen to on the radio in my car. I could just play from Google Music, but it's not the same, and would involve having to make a decision.

Lately, Classic Rock is segueing into the 90s and it's just weird.

Favorite bands: Queen, Led Zeppelin, Motley Crue, AC/DC

#1 Favorite of all time: Weird Al who I just listen to constantly if I'm cooking or whatever.

Also Musicals are good for when I'm doing something boring and repetitive. Current favorites: Book of Mormon, Les Mis, and Rocky Horror.

I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert in my 20s before the whole merchandising juggernaut took off. I just like the island relaxation vibe.

Other genres: Surf Rock, anything that can be played in a tiki bar, a decent amount of 50s and 60s also.

I can get into just about anything high energy, but I've never been to a night club or rave or anything like that.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
"Tell me you're a white Gen Xer without telling me"

Just kidding, like what you like. If you don't listen to TMBG you probably should though, seems like a sure thing you'd enjoy them (everyone should listen to TMBG tho)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Beachcomber posted:

I'm the one who likes classic rock, which I listen to on the radio in my car. I could just play from Google Music, but it's not the same, and would involve having to make a decision.

#1 Favorite of all time: Weird Al who I just listen to constantly if I'm cooking or whatever.

Also Musicals are good for when I'm doing something boring and repetitive. Current favorites: Book of Mormon, Les Mis, and Rocky Horror.

I went to a Jimmy Buffett concert in my 20s before the whole merchandising juggernaut took off. I just like the island relaxation vibe.

Other genres: Surf Rock, anything that can be played in a tiki bar, a decent amount of 50s and 60s also.

I can get into just about anything high energy, but I've never been to a night club or rave or anything like that.

when i read this post i heard this song in my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTUhnIY3oRM

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Nine Inch Nails and Nirvana are comparable in the same way The Beach Boys and The Trashmen are comparable for both making songs about surfing.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

do you have a goatee and oakleys?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The danger of using the words classic rock as a genre is the window is changing every year. Grunge has been classic rock for a while.

hawowanlawow posted:

I'm not sure this is a logical deep cut for someone whos having trouble recognizing Nirvana.

Beachcomber posted:

Would you say with your missing 90s music knowledge that you have a head like a hole?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

zedprime posted:

Would you say with your missing 90s music knowledge that you have a head like a hole?

Not quite but I think you're getting closer. Honestly if he can't tell the difference between NIN and Nirvana he might have had an aneurysm.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wish I could come up with puns like that. I tried but I blew it and gave up. Mental effort this early in the morning can really drain you.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

Sir Lemming posted:

Last night somehow the "why do birds suddenly appear" song came to mind, and I recalled a moment in the Simpsons where it was playing over and over and getting lodged into Lisa's subconscious, and I was a little stuck trying to figure out exactly what episode it was, so I was looking it up. It was the one where they bought a new doorbell from "Señor Ding-Dong".

I can't prove this, but it seems fairly likely that's a double entendre. "Seen your ding dong."

More than likely. See: "Do Not Touch Willie". Good advice...

Harvey TWH
Sep 6, 2005

Want some peanuts?

Sir Lemming posted:

Same aesthetic, but basically totally different genre.

I'm not sure which part of this is what you just figured out, the connection between the song and the doorbell or the possible dirty joke. For what it's worth, "Close to You" has been established as Homer and Marge's song since season 2 (and this episode is season 10). I have my doubts about "seen your" in part because of the long E in that phrase; had they pronounced Señor that way, I'd be more convinced.

On the other hand, just a few episodes later is one of my favorite hidden dirty jokes in the series. (E-I-E-I-(Annoyed Grunt), AABF19.) This is the episode where Homer accidentally makes Tomacco, and when he's trying his hand at farming, he goes to the store:
SNEED'S FEED & SEED
Formerly Chuck's

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

hawowanlawow posted:

I do not have either, but I do wear rx sunglasses any time I'm out of the house.

Baron von Eevl posted:

Not quite but I think you're getting closer. Honestly if he can't tell the difference between NIN and Nirvana he might have had an aneurysm.

I actually listened to some NIN after posting, and I don't think I've ever heard any before.

Failed Imagineer posted:

"Tell me you're a white Gen Xer without telling me"

Just kidding, like what you like. If you don't listen to TMBG you probably should though, seems like a sure thing you'd enjoy them (everyone should listen to TMBG tho)

'84. And yes, I do listen to TMBG (and Mono Puff), they just briefly escaped my mind.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

Beachcomber posted:

I actually listened to some NIN after posting, and I don't think I've ever heard any before.
Not even during rumspringa?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Len posted:

that door frames are incredibly easy to break on accident

like holy poo poo it was real easy to break into my apartment.

Replacing the tiny strike plate screws with some that are 3-4 inches long helps a lot. Something long enough to hit an adjacent stud.

Not a full solution, but it is the difference between "seven kicks to open this fucker" and "press on it hard with your hand and it is so easy that to an observer it looks like nothing is amiss".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Beachcomber posted:

Boy I Wish I could listen to NIN for the first time again, but it's Something I Can Never Have. If Only! Was it Just Like You Imagined?

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

every day is exactly the same

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Dip Viscous posted:

Replacing the tiny strike plate screws with some that are 3-4 inches long helps a lot. Something long enough to hit an adjacent stud.

Not a full solution, but it is the difference between "seven kicks to open this fucker" and "press on it hard with your hand and it is so easy that to an observer it looks like nothing is amiss".

I told my apartment office "hey my door knob isn't turning, it wouldn't let me out of the apartment. It did open but I heard a crunch noise. Can you fix it?"

They did not in fact fix it. So I came home and couldn't get it

I didn't try to break in, it just sorta happened after 30 minutes of me waiting to hear back from the on call maintenance man.

They did come out yesterday and fix the door knob. The frame...not so much

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just rewatched hana-bi, and wow, drive is basically a straight technical "remake". im sure im not the first to make these obverservations:

- cinematography: lingering shots, stone-faces and scenery. ok fine, but:
- sympathetic limp mechanic
- protagonist is a low level mafia/yakuza dude
- he forces bullet(s) into the mouth of an enemy
- blinking is significant

still, both movies are excellent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Ellie Trashcakes posted:

Not even during rumspringa?

I am indeed from rural Pennsylvania, but I'm not Amish. They make great food though. Black walnut cake, real pot pie (which is noodles, not a pie), shoofly pie, funny cake, Lebanon bologna...