Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Strom Cuzewon posted:

BSG needed more religious stuff, not less. The first season ends with them finding undeniable proof of the accuracy of their religious texts,

It's been a while since I watched the show but IRC it was a universally accepted truth among the Colonials that human life didn't originate on the colonies and that they are all refugees from Kobol. The controversial parts were the supernatural parts of the holy texts like gods living there alongside humans and none of that got explicitly confirmed in the show. I fact, we don't learn anything about life on Kobol at all except later in the show when we find out that it was an extremely advanced society that build cylons and nuked itself into near extinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
I didn't mind the religious themes, i felt like the ending really undercut it though. The last thing they say is "care for your creations b/c that's how you break the cycle of violence" when in the show it's pretty much God deciding how things play out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Mass effect is fun because people pretend it was just the ending that was bad when instead it was a discovery level gently caress up from game 2 on

For mostly the same reasons

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!
What BSG needed (somewhat ironically) was a plan. Instead of just winging it for multiple seasons and ultimately writing themselves into an unsatisfying corner.

But enough about that, we have a new episode of Lower Decks to discuss! It wasn't the most eventful episode but I still had a smile on my face by the end of it. Boimler channelling Riker was great, and it was nice to see him saving the day without Mariner's involvement. The Pakleds continue to be the most ridiculous non-threatening threat to the Federation, and I loved how they kept calling Freeman "Janeway". I wasn't expecting an Armus callback, but that was fun too.

It's a crime this show only gets ten episode seasons.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Mass effect 3 sucked because they had no more star control to rip off so they had no ideas

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Unironically would have been completely fine for them to rip off Star Control more. Give me the Reaper Kohr-Ah who are just here to kill everyone

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

The urquan religious doctrine war was so cool, so was uniting the galaxy against this threat. I want more deep villains

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Okay, so Pokémon 100% confirmed as canon in the Star Trek universe.

Also, that orange slug had Boimler’s scream.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
Give Boimler back the Mr. Fantastic hair, it looked great on him

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

"Whoa, slow to impulse" is something I see myself using in the future

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

That's a good point. I guess I felt a little cheated that I had a choice at all in a way, like ideally my actions thus far should have already determined the final outcome.

I think that's what makes their "push button" ending so much more egregious than all the other "choices" games that came before it and ended with the exact same, pick-button-choose-ending-slide. You had 3 whole games worth of compounding choices that should have made your end goal for your shephard very clear. My shep was always doing whatever she could to unit organics and AI life, I shouldn't have had an option in the end, my Shep should've just waltzed in, hear about Synthesis and smash that button before the explanation is even over. Of course she does that, it's what I've always had her do, I've made every possible choice supporting unity between organic and artificial life.

The rest of the game was pretty good about giving you some closure from smaller plot threads, the death cutscene of an optional me2 character was one of the more emotional farewells I've experienced in a game. But for the big ending ,they bit off way more than they could chew and didn't know how to swallow.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I must have missed something.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Technowolf posted:

I must have missed something.

The skull from the planet where “everything evolves weird”? That’s a Pokémon. Even before the evolution line, I took one look at that skull and said to myself “That’s a Bulbasaur.”

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

This was a really good episode, eventful and hilarious all the way through. I loved the bigger helmet running gag, the airlock moment. In any other show, the others would've been mad at Boimler for leaving them, rather than jealous in an impressed way, and they keep subverting sitcom cliches in a Star Trek way. The weakest moment was when Mariner's speech toward Tendi about how anomaly collection isn't fun and not every assignment can be fun was a little too mean, and it felt like the delivery was for the sake of directly saying the theme of the episode to the audience

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I think part of it was also "Mariner's just too god drat mean sometimes."

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alchenar posted:

I think the nuanced thing about the ME3 ending that a lot of people gloss over is that it isn't the catalyst giving you three choices, it's the catalyst saying "hey the superweapon you've built will do the thing you came here to do but you know that will also kill x, y, and z, I can also offer you these other options". It's not a great ending but it does feel like some people upset about the consequences of the destroy option weren't paying attention to the protagonists plan for the whole game.

No, there's a very specific reason ME3's ending pissed off literally everyone;

They did the one exact thing they adamantly declared they would not do for the trilogy's finale when they were talking about the franchise's future post-ME1.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Honestly, I'm at the 2nd to last mission in ME3 right now and my game started crashing without fail after 30 seconds and before I found the fix I was basically like "welp I kind of did everything I have fond memories of anyway so whatever"

I couldn't have done that because I needed to prove that I could smoke Marauder Shields in one try.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Khanstant posted:

I think that's what makes their "push button" ending so much more egregious than all the other "choices" games that came before it and ended with the exact same, pick-button-choose-ending-slide. You had 3 whole games worth of compounding choices that should have made your end goal for your shephard very clear. My shep was always doing whatever she could to unit organics and AI life, I shouldn't have had an option in the end, my Shep should've just waltzed in, hear about Synthesis and smash that button before the explanation is even over. Of course she does that, it's what I've always had her do, I've made every possible choice supporting unity between organic and artificial life.

The rest of the game was pretty good about giving you some closure from smaller plot threads, the death cutscene of an optional me2 character was one of the more emotional farewells I've experienced in a game. But for the big ending ,they bit off way more than they could chew and didn't know how to swallow.

That would have been a drastic change to cap off the end of a game that doesn't let your past morality dictate your future morality so you can bounce around between happy genocide to every life is sacred to being calm and understanding to raging rear end in a top hat with each decision. For the whole rest of the series, if a past action had consequences it can affect your present dilemma, but it doesn't force your hand in itself.

It would be like if after a whole series about people who go to or over the brink of civil war when facing any sort of major decision, BSG had ended with them making an absolutely enormous one unanimously and without any fuss.....oh. Oh, wait.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Professor Beetus posted:

I couldn't have done that because I needed to prove that I could smoke Marauder Shields in one try.

I accidentally did that postgame Citadel DLC early and they give you a silenced pistol that can take down an Atlas in like 2 clips

Brawnfire posted:

"Yup, there's the Ark atop Mt. Ararat, just like we've been told in Sunday School. Where to next?"

is this really how the first season ended because that's hilarious enough to pique my interest in the show

isn't there like 4 versions of BSG though?

VVVVVV oh that's cool too I guess but literally Noah's Ark would have been amazing

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2021

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I accidentally did that postgame Citadel DLC early and they give you a silenced pistol that can take down an Atlas in like 2 clips

is this really how the first season ended because that's hilarious enough to pique my interest in the show

They find a temple on an uninhabited planet which points them toward their fabled promised land.

It sounds crazier than it seemed at the time. Humans and the audience had always known that they were not native to their planets that had been living on. So finding other signs of human life out there was consistent with them being colonies of a migrating species.

It really wasn't until the last season that they started to go really hard on the religious aspect of the show. Until then it would be a completely reasonable interpretation that Gaius is just going crazy from grief at having caused humanities near extinction.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Sep 16, 2021

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010

MillennialVulcan posted:

I think part of it was also "Mariner's just too god drat mean sometimes."

Well hey, at least she learned D'Vana's name. Also is Anomaly Collection a STO Duty Officer task yet?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Snow Cone Capone posted:

That pistol is the single most ridiculous god drat gun in the game, despite the existence of the Kishock and the Venom.

CaptainSkinny
Apr 22, 2011

You get it?
No.

On top of a potential Pokemon reference, Tendi also uses a blue cube to morph into a scorpion. Possibly a light Animorphs reference.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm getting the sense that "anomalies" are things from other properties besides Trek that LDS wants to send out some love to

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I loved the little continuity of the Pakled wanting to see the ship's "crimson force field", an entirely made up device that they still haven't figured out isn't real a decade-plus later.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Phylodox posted:

Also, that orange slug had Boimler’s scream.

I'm pretty sure that was a sample of a screaming goat.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

VVVVVV oh that's cool too I guess but literally Noah's Ark would have been amazing

It's this.

This bit isn't really confirming anything supernatural, though, it's just an ancient holodeck showing where colony #13 went. They always knew they came from another planet. It's more akin to them finding the dead sea scrolls than finding noah's ark.

There's more explicit confirmation that prophecy and stuff are real to the viewer earlier in the season with Laura having literal showing-stuff-that-happens-later-in-the-episode prophetic dreams and things, though.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Oh no sorry Noah's ark was just me riffing on finding Biblical artefacts blasé

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta
https://twitter.com/spacetwinks/status/1438386161559482368?s=19

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Ooh, how fun!

Two strips of latinum gets you an extra hour in the neutral zone ball pit

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

GOAT of pinball tables imo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

skasion posted:

GOAT of pinball tables imo

The TNG pinball machine with the goofy Borg ship was my favorite one. I could get so many free games off that thing.

Always get the thank you Mr Data bonus.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

The TNG pinball machine with the goofy Borg ship was my favorite one. I could get so many free games off that thing.

Always get the thank you Mr Data bonus.

Had you redirected the ball along the proper trajectory, you would have been rewarded

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

skasion posted:

Had you redirected

Thank you Mr. Data

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

jassa posted:

What BSG needed (somewhat ironically) was a plan. Instead of just winging it for multiple seasons and ultimately writing themselves into an unsatisfying corner.

But enough about that, we have a new episode of Lower Decks to discuss! It wasn't the most eventful episode but I still had a smile on my face by the end of it. Boimler channelling Riker was great, and it was nice to see him saving the day without Mariner's involvement. The Pakleds continue to be the most ridiculous non-threatening threat to the Federation, and I loved how they kept calling Freeman "Janeway". I wasn't expecting an Armus callback, but that was fun too.

It's a crime this show only gets ten episode seasons.

Armus deserves to get pranked and I love it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

I Am Fowl posted:

Armus deserves to get pranked and I love it.

As references this week go I liked the TAS telepath callback with the Kzinti ensign's bad posture.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love the Red Shirts being brown nosing posers and actually have zero actual skills.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Brawnfire posted:

"Whoa, slow to impulse" is something I see myself using in the future

Same.

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

The outro of prank calling Armus was just a joy and for some reason I really liked the touch of the Spy "revealing" Freeman isn't Janeway, then immediately afterwards he gets all excited when someone tells him he defeated Janeway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This week's episode of LDS was great!