Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

loving TODD’s rubber nose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Recorded in portrait so it ended up as one of those YouTube Shorts things

https://youtube.com/shorts/FHp_zPhGx7M?feature=share

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Drewjitsu posted:

I get a lot of comments about my greyhound. They have such an iconic look, people can't help but comment.

Yeah, I agree. People around here always comment when I walk Taz and/or Opal around here. They've also soared in popularity, around where I live - since maybe 3-4 years ago I barely saw any walking around. But increasingly over the last year or so, they've been all over the place! I guess covid has been good for greys, since they're easily available through GAP SA and they're the perfect indoor dog for people working from home, etc. during the lockdown months.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!

david_a posted:

Recorded in portrait so it ended up as one of those YouTube Shorts things

https://youtube.com/shorts/FHp_zPhGx7M?feature=share

What’s that toy?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Veskit posted:

What’s that toy?

It’s a crinkly fish :coolfish:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Just dropped Bailey off for spay dental etc. They will be doing the episioplasty which is great!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I realized I haven't posted pictures recently so here's some pictures.

Mac:

Tennyson:

And, a gif of Mac noticing a fly:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

nice pics!

Bailey is back home and doing well. Lot of whimpering though!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Luv pics of Mac and Tennyson.

Ingram is driving us loving bonkers. She will. not. sleep. through the night without barking. I've been wearing ear plugs but she still wakes me up.

I'm not sure we're cut out for fostering, especially if they assign us all of the problem dogs because we don't have kids, cats, and have a sfh.

Pictured: the devil.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

does your group have a fostering coordinator you can get help from?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

NomNomNom posted:

Luv pics of Mac and Tennyson.

Ingram is driving us loving bonkers. She will. not. sleep. through the night without barking. I've been wearing ear plugs but she still wakes me up.

I'm not sure we're cut out for fostering, especially if they assign us all of the problem dogs because we don't have kids, cats, and have a sfh.

Pictured: the devil.

Oh wow! drat, yeah that's...not good. No idea what the go is there, I'm afraid. Has she had exercise in the afternoon/evening, perhaps? That's the only thing I can think of - too much energy, so she wants to go out and have a walk/run.
Not sure though, really. Hopefully the matter can be resolved soon though, since that does not sound fun for you :(

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I asked our group's foster coordinator, she asked if she was crated at night, and if there's any sort of recurring sound that she is barking in response to

anyway bailey slept very well but she is NOT happy about the eardrops

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

actionjackson posted:

nice pics!

Bailey is back home and doing well. Lot of whimpering though!

Poor Bailey. I'd be unhappy about having sore nether regions as well. What's she getting eyedrops for?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Radiation Cow posted:

Poor Bailey. I'd be unhappy about having sore nether regions as well. What's she getting eyedrops for?

eardrops

she had a yeast infection develop in her ear, it's both a cleaning agent and then something for the infection itself. so for the next week she gets to have goopy but clean ears.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Ingram has been super sweet all afternoon. Big thunderstorm rolling through right now doesn't seem to faze her. She stole Watson's crate while he's hiding in the basement.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Ingram has been super sweet all afternoon. Big thunderstorm rolling through right now doesn't seem to faze her. She stole Watson's crate while he's hiding in the basement.

Phone posting; thought that blanket was Watson behind her :)

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

omg it even looks like a greyhound with the "ears" in the back right!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I'll admit even I had to look twice. Alas, they have not been caught snuggling yet.

Watson has taken up residence in her crate, she's on the dog bed in the middle of the living room. Guess we're doing a crate swap?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

omg it even looks like a greyhound with the "ears" in the back right!

Yeah it does - I had to do a double-take too, when I saw that! :D "What do you mean Watson's downstairs? He's right th- oh"

Speaking of thunderstorms though, we had one last night too! Opal didn't care this time, but Tazo was pretty anxious this time around. He was pacing downstairs so I went to see if he wanted to go outside to relieve himself. He was firmly against the idea, so I let him be, as I figured he was pacing purely due to anxiety...a few minutes later he urinated all over the door mat. :doh: Cleaned that up and let the dogs upstairs for the rest of the night, as he was still pretty anxious. I really wish he'd taken my suggestion and gone out to relieve himself, but oh well! I can't stay annoyed at his little face :D

Also, I think I may have mentioned previously that Opal's starting to understand the appeal of toys. Well, now she's started to actually enjoy playing with and sleeping with their stuffed toys! She's been chucking around a plushie owl a lot recently, and occasionally pulls a big stuffed teddy out of Taz's toybox to sleep with (and occasionally bite its face, naturally) :3:

Taz and Opal have also started being more comfortable napping side-by-side. On a cool night a few days ago they were rugged up sleeping against one another, with Taz using Opal as a pillow

Also, as usual, Opal has been further refining her cutsie face, in the hopes of cajoling more treats out of us. (It works frustratingly often. :v: I don't exclude Taz though, so he's at least happy too!)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Major Isoor posted:

Also, as usual, Opal has been further refining her cutsie face, in the hopes of cajoling more treats out of us. (It works frustratingly often. :v: I don't exclude Taz though, so he's at least happy too!)

It is my official opinion that you should feel that dog, she's clearly never been fed before in her entire life, and furthermore,

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

Lemon became a beach bum this week! I found some space she could run and she’s been having a blast

https://imgur.com/a/KiZTv4q

Edit: can’t figure out how to embed the video

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Omg all these long dogs are so precious. I'm refraining from making comments because invariably I'll miss one or use the wrong name, so just know if you shared a pic or clip that you have some very fine longo doggoes

Also I love watching them kick in the afterburners and the absolute joy on their faces when they can

I meant to ask, was that a tumble midway through or was it just the dune blocking her feet?

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

She was jumping hard into the sand all day, it didn’t look like a tumble to me!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Is that an actual dog toy or just a big stuffed bear? Really big stuffed dog toys seem pretty rare in physical stores. I got a big Lamb Chop doll for Katie as one of her first toys and she still likes it. She also has a fancy wolf that still has a working squeaker after 6 months (most last a few days) so I’ll be treating her with more from that brand, probably for Christmas.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Annnndddd Ingram barked for 4 hours straight last night. Right around bed time it seemed like she was getting amped, like she wanted to play or she was anxious. I took her out and she unloaded the bladder, so I thought we were good. She absolutely refused to go into her crate until a critical mass of treats had been tossed in, and then she laid down nicely. As soon as I went to my room and closed the door though she was yowling and body slamming the crate.

I don't know what to do, if she were ours I'd have given up on the crate by now, I think she'd be fine outside. But since she's a foster the agency (and potential adopters) expects that they will be crate trained. The agency has been completely unhelpful, the president recommend a drat spray bottle.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Did you say someone slept on the couch next to her in the beginning? If so, did that help? Katie’s always slept in the same room as me at night.

I seem to remember somebody in the thread was dealing with a greyhound that had random barking fits although I don’t remember how it was resolved.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah we did that the first night, doesn't make a difference. I don't get it, she can be fine in her crate one moment and then decide it's the worst place ever.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Annnndddd Ingram barked for 4 hours straight last night. Right around bed time it seemed like she was getting amped, like she wanted to play or she was anxious. I took her out and she unloaded the bladder, so I thought we were good. She absolutely refused to go into her crate until a critical mass of treats had been tossed in, and then she laid down nicely. As soon as I went to my room and closed the door though she was yowling and body slamming the crate.

I don't know what to do, if she were ours I'd have given up on the crate by now, I think she'd be fine outside. But since she's a foster the agency (and potential adopters) expects that they will be crate trained. The agency has been completely unhelpful, the president recommend a drat spray bottle.

did you see my post above? I asked someone in my group for suggestions. Feel free to PM me if you'd prefer - I can get you in touch with the GPA-MN foster coordinator, she'd be happy to help!

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Sorry missed it. No recurring sound that I can hear, we leave a fan on (pointed away from dogs) for white noise. She's not consistent either, we've had a few good nights in the past week where she seemed tuckered out at bedtime (like a normal greyhound). Other nights she seems anxious as hell. Personally I think she might be a candidate for doggie Xanax.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Sorry missed it. No recurring sound that I can hear, we leave a fan on (pointed away from dogs) for white noise. She's not consistent either, we've had a few good nights in the past week where she seemed tuckered out at bedtime (like a normal greyhound). Other nights she seems anxious as hell. Personally I think she might be a candidate for doggie Xanax.

Maybe you can try an Adaptil diffuser? It’s hard to tell if it does much, but I’m going to try it again with Katie since I need to get much more serious about alone training with her.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I'd be tempted to say to hell with the foster agency and just try her outside the crate. If they ask you can fib or just tell them so any adoptees know

EDIT: For clarification, something we didn't mention is that TODD is subject to seizures and we knew when we adopted him, and even though it's not too expensive it's still a potential headache. The agency offered to pay his medication in perpetuity so I have little sympathy if they're not helping you deal with any issues

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 17, 2021

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Here is Hazel doing her best impersonation of a banana:

And a hinge:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We talked to the agency, they're going to put her in vet boarding for observation for a few day and do blood work. We have to take her there in the morning. So glad we only have to deal with her for one more night. I know that sounds heartless but we're at the end of the rope.

Also she and Watson got a little feisty earlier, she's been taking possession of his favorite bed and I'm like gurrrl you can't do my boi like that.

Pictured: a bed thief

Edit: and she literally just stole his crate. Went in a fwumped on his bed.

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Sep 18, 2021

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

NomNomNom posted:

We talked to the agency, they're going to put her in vet boarding for observation for a few day and do blood work. We have to take her there in the morning. So glad we only have to deal with her for one more night. I know that sounds heartless but we're at the end of the rope.

Also she and Watson got a little feisty earlier, she's been taking possession of his favorite bed and I'm like gurrrl you can't do my boi like that.

Jackal

And no need to apologize, losing sleep frays at the nerves like few other things. I think you've done well to go this far

We're home from vacation and TODD got into literally everything within the first three minutes. No exaggeration we alternated bringing stuff in and digging him out of whatever new thing he managed to get into, only half of which were his actual toys.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

NomNomNom posted:

Yeah it really sounds like that poor little girl needs some serious help. I hope she finds a suitable home :unsmith:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If I had any doubt this last night confirmed it. I was determined that my wife would get some sleep, so I set up on the couch by her crate. She barked and rooed from 9 to 10, so I said "gently caress it it's your last night, be free" and let her out. Cue 30 minutes of manic barking and pacing. I eventually got her to settle on the dog bed and had just fallen asleep when she started barking again. Just laying there this time, but just barking like the world was ending. I lightly swatted her bum and she stopped and looked sheepish and settled again.

30 minutes after that the world really must have ended because she leapt up and did laps around the kitchen while barking her head off. This time I bodily picked her up and put her back in the crate. She looked heartbroken by this turn of events but finally did settle down for the night and didn't make another peep.

Friggin Watson woke me up at 0530 with a single woof. rear end in a top hat.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sorry to hear about that. I'm guessing that your group, just like mine, has a few people that specifically take on these difficult cases!

I hope you will still foster again! and let us know what they find out about her medically speaking.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Well first medical update is that she was not 50 lbs like we had been told; the vet weighed her at 42 lbs. So 10 lbs less than when she came off the track in June. So that's not great.

She was so great on the hour long car ride and in the vet's office. The vet techs definitely thought we were crazy for thinking something is wrong with her.

Like I don't hope she has a medical issue but I kinda do hope there's something that vindicates us.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

NomNomNom posted:

Well first medical update is that she was not 50 lbs like we had been told; the vet weighed her at 42 lbs. So 10 lbs less than when she came off the track in June. So that's not great.

She was so great on the hour long car ride and in the vet's office. The vet techs definitely thought we were crazy for thinking something is wrong with her.

Like I don't hope she has a medical issue but I kinda do hope there's something that vindicates us.

is this place familiar with taking care of greyhounds? 42 pounds is very low and all that barking is certainly abnormal too.

some bailey updates - she had her first visit with my own vet, official adoption will be sunday of next weekend.

muzzle taped on part of the front until next weekend

rimadyl and ear cleaning for two weeks

my vet is looking into which hookworm treatment she thinks is better as she was positive. the group uses panacur+strongid+advantage multi. not sure if any of you guys have dealt with this, but drug resistant hookworms are becoming more common now. regiment for the above is 1x/4 days - 15 day break - 1x/4 days / 15 day break - 1x/4 days

advantage multi does heartworm and flea, a separate tick med was not recommended given I live in an urban condo - she's not going into any sort of rural setting

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

oops here's a pic of her right now, as long as she is in the living room and not licking her vulva she can be without the muzzle

Only registered members can see post attachments!