Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Buncha John Deere workers going on strike.

Edit: page snype solidarity with the distillery workers, too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Tom Smykowski posted:

Buncha John Deere workers going on strike.

Edit: page snype solidarity with the distillery workers, too

Whoa, drat.

Am I just lacking context or does it feel like strikes are accelerating in frequency?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

kingcobweb posted:

sorry for all of y'all who were about to get a whiskey sour at a dive bar followed by some chips ahoy :(

https://twitter.com/GrimKim/status/1436849184003461127

evan williams is my go-to cheap bourbon, gotta support the workers making it.

How about instead of a walk-out strike, they go in and do the job as usual but just steal from the register?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Labour is entitled to all it creates. They should drink all the booze.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia
They're halting all of the striking workers health insurance in the Heaven Hill strike.

Pretty cool place.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
hey so I had to quit my job to keep my kids alive

is there any useful thing I can do like join the IWW or something?

I feel like a worthless piece of poo poo.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Tulip posted:

Whoa, drat.

Am I just lacking context or does it feel like strikes are accelerating in frequency?

These material conditions ain't so hot

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Ain't worthless doing that for your kids, my man.

I dunno about joining the iww, prob depends a lot on where you're at.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
you can volunteer with EWOC: https://workerorganizing.org/

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Anyone have any reading suggestions for getting the word out about a protest?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

ok will look into this

if I ever become a worker again it will 100% be an organizing effort. gently caress helping capital ever again.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
union organizing jobs are hard to get :( I applied for organizer in training at SEIU, and even with experience as a union steward and a job in political organizing, I didn’t make it past the “group interview” they had like twelve of us in

non-“in training” job postings I didn’t even get an email back about

btw my new labor platform is to outlaw group interviews. awful

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

oh well that is loving encouraging

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

group interviews are abysmal. who's idea were they and who finds them useful in the hiring process.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

You're not a worthless piece of poo poo. You gotta do what you have to do to take care of your kids, if that means quitting then so be it.

The IWW will depend on your branch. There might be things you can do to help out, but they should periodically run things like organiser training that you can use later, or that you can pass on to others. Can't hurt to contact them.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

oh well that is loving encouraging

the good news is that any working class job is a union organizing job... whether your boss knows it or not :madmax:

in all seriousness, please don't feel worthless because of what did, or does, or will get you a paycheck. plenty of our most famous historical organizers had day jobs as normal workers. that's how they became organizers!

if you choose to go back to work, don't sweat it if you can't officially work for a union. instead, you could get a job at something that already has a union (even if it's, eg, a grocery store, which here in the PacNW are all unionized except Trader Joe's) and get involved by going to union meetings, becoming a steward, running for elected union office, etc etc. most of these are filled with the same five 50+ people who've been going to the meetings and not getting anything done for fifteen years, and one of them made the union local's website in 1998 and has updated it twice since. (joining a non-union job with the intention of unionizing it is the xxtreme hard mode version of this.)

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
oh, and i just picked up the new Jane McAlevey book, A Collective Bargain. it's under 300 pages and only in hardcover, but it's a great introductory "what's a union and why does it matter?" kind of book (she seems to have written more and more generally accessible books since her first one). i recommend finding a PDF of it. also check bargain tables, i got two at (UNIONIZED!!) Elliott Bay Book Company in seattle for $8 each. buy them for your lib friends for the holidays!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I went to a labor notes deal on forming a caucus within a local and Jesus Christ some of the stories of those old guys whove been running things since 1998

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

kingcobweb posted:

union organizing jobs are hard to get :( I applied for organizer in training at SEIU, and even with experience as a union steward and a job in political organizing, I didn’t make it past the “group interview” they had like twelve of us in

non-“in training” job postings I didn’t even get an email back about

btw my new labor platform is to outlaw group interviews. awful

i kind of fell into it and i wasn't paid by the union, a support role was funded as part of a merger of two trusts to deal with any issues that cropped up around there. when that finished and i went back to school the union were only able to offer me one day funded, which was sweet to offer but i didn't want because even in gigantic institutional unions the competition is typically quite fierce.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
also they don't call us "workers" because we enjoy working, it's because we have to. everybody has to eat.

kingcobweb posted:

if you choose to go back to work, don't sweat it if you can't officially work for a union. instead, you could get a job at something that already has a union (even if it's, eg, a grocery store, which here in the PacNW are all unionized except Trader Joe's) and get involved by going to union meetings, becoming a steward, running for elected union office, etc etc. most of these are filled with the same five 50+ people who've been going to the meetings and not getting anything done for fifteen years, and one of them made the union local's website in 1998 and has updated it twice since. (joining a non-union job with the intention of unionizing it is the xxtreme hard mode version of this.)

haha, mine was the same people who had been getting some things done, some of them for like 45 years? the culture in the north of england is so so different.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was a council rep in my last union and it was the most infuriating bullshit I ever had to do.

but I did it because I got my rep position because nobody else wanted to do it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I was a council rep in my last union and it was the most infuriating bullshit I ever had to do.

but I did it because I got my rep position because nobody else wanted to do it.

:(:hf::(

We have one of the most infuriating, spoiled, FYGM bargaining units of all time. poo poo still has to get done.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

If anyone's interested in ways to deal with lovely leadership, check out the Chicago teaches union and how they were able to use their CORE caucus to win elections and oust the lovely folks.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
:siren: LADIES, GENTS, NB NLRB FANS... RESUME SNACKING :siren:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1439342477396234241

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

it feels like another kinda weak result similar to fritolay. 60c a year isn't much, and they caved on management forcing 12 hour weekend shifts with no OT. but who am i, I'm not in those factories so maybe it's a big win relative to the old conditions. and making them pay out 5k to everyone is pretty cool

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Looks like it still adds some structure to that weekend poo poo so it's a start.

I know some guys who work in non union food factories and it's just poo poo all the way around. They get squeezed in every way possible.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

In Training posted:

it feels like another kinda weak result similar to fritolay. 60c a year isn't much, and they caved on management forcing 12 hour weekend shifts with no OT. but who am i, I'm not in those factories so maybe it's a big win relative to the old conditions. and making them pay out 5k to everyone is pretty cool

$5k is a big deal because it basically means that they earned their normal wages for striking instead of working

if the vote actually comes in overwhelmingly for adopting it then it's probably a good contract

this part is the only concern i have, depending on how it is in practice-

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1439342599324585985

this sounds an awful lot like a "two tiered" contract that throws new employees under the bus in exchange for helping the more senior people. hopefully it isn't, but if it is that's not good! it's intended to undermine solidarity!

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

I guess that depends on how their bid system works?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
seems like nabisco's opening health care offer of "we have you all executed" gave them a really good negotiating position.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it’s good they got some improvement

but I wouldn’t be thrilled

I don’t work there though, so who knows

contract negotiations are so much harder than anyone on the outside ever knows; getting anything is always a win. it’s a poo poo thing, but the way it is, for now

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

kingcobweb posted:

this sounds an awful lot like a "two tiered" contract that throws new employees under the bus in exchange for helping the more senior people. hopefully it isn't, but if it is that's not good! it's intended to undermine solidarity!

Precisely, and they’re very effective at it.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I hear you, my union has some advantages in bargaining because we are Federal contractors, so the government puts pressure on the employer to maintain labor peace, and they can't recruit scabs without putting them through the suitability check which can take a month. Even with these advantages, we couldn't get everything we wanted, and management still pulled poo poo like adding a "benefits administration fee" deduction from our paychecks during collective bargaining. At least we get paid a living wage and are sometimes treated like professionals rather than replaceable cogs in a machine. It's an ongoing battle, and we have to fight back all the time against constant small acts of wage theft, as well as attacks on our dignity.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Management during negotiations: we ain't giving you poo poo

Management after negotiations: how can we take this poo poo away again

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Looks like basically the entire entertainment industry going on strike soon

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

cool, get paid

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
IATSE members will be voting to authorize the strike next weekend :) myself included

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

good luck all. is there a good write up as to what the scope of this would be (what locals it covers, how many workers and workplaces affected etc.) if the strike authorization passes?

SporkOfTruth
Sep 1, 2006

this kid walked up to me and was like man schmitty your stache is ghetto and I was like whatever man your 3b look like a dishrag.

he was like damn.
this might also work in the sports thread, but some good news out of the NLRB today
https://twitter.com/sportslawguy/status/1443220255002742784?s=21
https://www.nlrb.gov/news-outreach/news-story/nlrb-general-counsel-jennifer-abruzzo-issues-memo-on-employee-status-of
(the memo itself is in the press release, and she starts by throwing the phrase "student-athlete" in the trash)

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

In Training posted:

good luck all. is there a good write up as to what the scope of this would be (what locals it covers, how many workers and workplaces affected etc.) if the strike authorization passes?

I don't know about a write-up but there's a whole lot of organizing/solidarity-building going on at @ia_stories on instagram. I've learned everything I know about the strike from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
big Seattle union news, in the long line of “union members have to hold union leadership accountable”:

https://publicola.com/2021/09/16/misogynistic-attacks-accusations-of-interference-by-sawant-as-carpenters-union-strikes/

tldr the carpenters union is functioning less like a union and more like a broker, so rank and file members are striking where leadership isn’t allowing them to strike to get a good contract