Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Lol my 1000 word reverse outline is 1500 words :words:

e: but it was a very helpful exercise!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychomax
Apr 4, 2009
I have the opposite issue, my scenes are all too short... How do I tell what a scene is missing?

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
Have you tried some zazz? Maybe some oomph?

Otherwise, probably explosions.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
Sexy explosions. :yaybutt:

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Psychomax posted:

I have the opposite issue, my scenes are all too short... How do I tell what a scene is missing?

In case this was a serious question:

One issue that might be happening is that the scene is all action. It moves from one action to another and another which progresses the narrative but not necessarily the character development/other plot points.

You might think more closely about who your characters are, what they would be noticing, how they would be feeling and reacting to whatever is going on. Not only does this add to the interest of helping the reader understand what the characters are going through, it might also lead to a few more actions.

Example: based on who Jim is as a character, he hates confrontation and so instead of walking into a scene to get the necessary plot conversation encounter he needs in this chapter and getting out with minimal words, he agonizes over having to meet a person, he practices what he might say that will make him out to be the better person, and then doesn't actually do any of that when he finally musters up the courage to face the conversation.

Just a simple example, but it tells the reader a lot about Jim, still advances the plot and gives you, the author a lot more words to flesh out the chapter.

This can still be done if you're trying to keep scenes short, you just have to judicious about the exact words. A sentence here or there that does double or triple duty with description.

If this is not your problem, ignore!

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Psychomax posted:

I stole this from Jim butcher, the scene/sequel sequence here is what I'm trying to plan out for this scene I'm writing. Hit all of these points and you have a minimum scene. It doesn't have to be complicated see example:

POINT OF VIEW: Muk
GOAL: Show how Freya is doing from an outsider POV in this suitor mess
CONFLICT: Muk doesn’t like the cobbler brothers, and they are stepping on each others toes
SETBACK: Freya agrees to promenade with both a cobbler brother and Muk

Sequel 1) EMOTIONAL REACTION: Muk realizes that she is taking the middle of the road path
2) REVIEW, LOGIC, & REASON: I would probably hedge my bets as well, muk says
3) ANTICIPATION: This will be an interesting season
4) CHOICE: he chooses to write her a letter

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
I've found that I start writing in a very minimal way and have just started iterating to put "meat on the bones" so to speak. So I ask myself, why should anyone care about these plot beats? Why should they care about the characters? What would get readers more emotionally invested?

That's helped me to flesh out the cast, beyond just being pawns to keep the story moving forward. Adding dialog to have the cast interact and show-don't-tell has helped too.

This is my first attempt at a novel, fwiw, but I'm happy with the results so far.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Good job, keep after it!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I was looking for book recommendations and found a website called Reedsy: http://reedsy.com It claims to network you to freelance editors and help with publishing contracts. Has anyone else heard of this?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

HIJK posted:

I was looking for book recommendations and found a website called Reedsy: http://reedsy.com It claims to network you to freelance editors and help with publishing contracts. Has anyone else heard of this?

I just got my dev editor through them for my military science fiction book. She had a bunch of great reviews but I expect it back in October so, we’ll see.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Interesting, I'll bookmark them for future reference. Thank you!

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Hey, y’all, I need blurb writing help. I figured I’d try here first and then swing by the self-publishing thread, too. Here is my original blurb:

quote:

A divided city. A killer who stalks the border between two worlds.

Rookie homicide detective Lucia Kowalski has just caught her first case, the murder of a ‘sleeper’—a parallel species of human living side-by-side with our own. And a new partner, Inspector Sam Rush, a sleeper working for the police on the other side of the border.

Despite her fears, Lucia finds herself drawn to her mysterious new partner and deeper into a conspiracy that threatens both of their lives. As a conflict between two peoples threatens to tear the city apart, Lucia and Sam race to stop a killer before it's too late.

Any thoughts? I feel like there’s some awkward phrasing in there.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
As blurbs go that's not too bad! I think if you want to really streamline it you could try to untangle some of the dependent clauses. The biggest problem for me (and this stuff is always very subjective, so, take with a grain of salt) is that it's a little too generic.

quote:

A divided city. A killer who stalks the border between two worlds. Maybe something about your protagonist? 'A woman who must cross that border to stop him/her/them? What're the stakes for our heroine? Just proving she deserves to be a detective?

Rookie homicide detective Lucia Kowalski has just caught her first case. The murder of a ‘sleeper’—a parallel species of adjective? human who live side-by-side with our own. What's special/dangerous about sleepers? Are they predatory? Fey? Cosmic? Do they live in secret? Is it special that this killer knows about them? Maybe something like: This killing could destroy the uneasy truce between the species—which is why Lucia's stuck with a adjective? new partner, Inspector Sam Rush. A sleeper working for the police on the other side of the border. Does he have one other trait you could drop here, maybe something Lucia doesn't like? A first impression, something to add tension? Is it unusual that a sleeper's working with the police, or are all the police on the other side sleepers?

I'm not sure about 'finds herself', it seems kind of passive, like it's happening to her rather than her doing things? Lucia's fears about her mysterious new partner draw them both together—and deeper into a deadly conspiracy that threatens to ignite war between the two peoples. I don't think this is quite enough, in that it's too general; every Star Trek The Next Generation paperback I picked up as a kid had back cover copy about racing to prevent a war. Can you get more specific about the conspiracy? Lucia and Sam must find a way to trust each other and stop the killer, or ??? Specific stakes? There'll be riots? A pogrom? They'll fail the trust of the public? One species will destroy the other?

I dunno, spitballing.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 12, 2021

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Very helpful. Thanks! Let me work on this and I’ll get a new version up. Biggest issue: I’m not sure I can add anything more substantial about the conspiracy without spoiling the plot. Was even considering not mentioning a conspiracy because that spoils a little.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Are you aiming this for agents, or readers? It's better to spoil too much than to sound boring.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
Readers. Yeah, you’re right.

Changed it a tiny bit (I’m terrible at these things!):

quote:

A divided city. A killer who stalks the border between two worlds. A woman desperate to prove herself.

Rookie detective Lucia Kowalski has just caught her first case, the murder of a ‘sleeper’—a parallel species of psychic human living side-by-side with our own. And a new partner, Inspector Sam Rush, an empath working for the police on the other side of the border.

Despite her fears, Lucia finds herself drawn to her mysterious new partner and deeper into a conspiracy that threatens both of their lives. As a conflict between two peoples threatens to tear the city apart, Lucia and Sam race to stop a killer before it's too late.

I really can’t think of a way to be less generic about the conspiracy without spoiling the main murder plot. I’ll work on it.

newts fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Sep 12, 2021

DropTheAnvil
May 16, 2021

newts posted:

Readers. Yeah, you’re right.

Changed it a tiny bit (I’m terrible at these things!):

I really can’t think of a way to be less generic about the conspiracy without spoiling the main murder plot. I’ll work on it.

Blurbs are the toughest thing you can write. If you can, get your beta readers to summarize the novel for you, and use their summary as a guide to highlight what's interesting.

Reading through your blurb this is what I get
Lucia has no wants. ("prove herself?)
Lucia's life is at stake.
There is a weird world with psychic humans, and there is a border of some kind? (Physical border, a trump wall? A magical border?)
There is a conspiracy.
Two peoples conflict? (Like two races fighting each other or literally tom and jerry conflict?)
What city? Why do I care?

It's not bad. I have a couple of good questions caused by interest, and a couple of bad questions caused by confusion. You might want to highlight the conflict between humans and psychics, (Without literally telling us), so we can understand why Sam Rush is an important character.

The last bit of the blurb is... cliched. "Despite her fears" "Deeper into a conspiracy" "threatens both their lives" are pretty much used in every thriller book I have read. While it lets your reader know what type of book this is, I would find a way to give the last bit of the blurb a voice.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

newts posted:

I’m not sure you need to mention the conspiracy at all TBH, as someone who read your book. The stakes at the beginning that hooked me are the upcoming negotiations for reconciliation that are providing a ticking clock and extra importance to the case. This is set up super early and spoils nothing if you want to use it instead.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

DropTheAnvil posted:

Blurbs are the toughest thing you can write. If you can, get your beta readers to summarize the novel for you, and use their summary as a guide to highlight what's interesting.

Reading through your blurb this is what I get
Lucia has no wants. ("prove herself?)
Lucia's life is at stake.
There is a weird world with psychic humans, and there is a border of some kind? (Physical border, a trump wall? A magical border?)
There is a conspiracy.
Two peoples conflict? (Like two races fighting each other or literally tom and jerry conflict?)
What city? Why do I care?

It's not bad. I have a couple of good questions caused by interest, and a couple of bad questions caused by confusion. You might want to highlight the conflict between humans and psychics, (Without literally telling us), so we can understand why Sam Rush is an important character.

Thanks! Good points. I’ll see how I can get some of these answers in there, or clear up what’s written.

quote:

The last bit of the blurb is... cliched. "Despite her fears" "Deeper into a conspiracy" "threatens both their lives" are pretty much used in every thriller book I have read. While it lets your reader know what type of book this is, I would find a way to give the last bit of the blurb a voice.

Ha! I’m actually going for cliched here because readers seem to know what they’re getting. I’ll try to mix it up a little. So it’s not quite so blah.

kaom posted:

I’m not sure you need to mention the conspiracy at all TBH, as someone who read your book. The stakes at the beginning that hooked me are the upcoming negotiations for reconciliation that are providing a ticking clock and extra importance to the case. This is set up super early and spoils nothing if you want to use it instead.

I hadn’t thought of that, thanks! Good idea. It seems complicated to explain in a blurb, but I’ll see what I can do. A long blurb is probably fine for the ebook version, anyway. I’ve seen people with five paragraphs.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I hope you don’t mind, but I took a stab at rewriting your blurb with absolutely no more knowledge of your book. Obviously, I’ve had to take a lot of liberties with the details and make some assumptions about how things play out, but hopefully the intention behind the changes comes through.

quote:

Lucia Kowalski made a huge mistake in her first year as a detective — and found herself exiled to a new beat in Settingville, a violent city that straddles the world of humans and the mysterious, psychic Sleepers.

When one of them turns up dead in her apartment block after a botched robbery, Lucia sees a chance to prove herself and save her reputation. Working with her new partner, a Sleeper empath with friends — and enemies — on both sides of the city, they quickly realise this case is much more than a simple murder investigation.

Racing against time and a killer who knows more about them than they know about themselves, Lucia and her partner find themselves drawn closer to each other, and deeper into a conspiracy that threatens to pull their fractured city apart.

In short: I think your blurb needed a bit more emphasis on the character, which I’ve established here with a bit of backstory that helps inform her motivations (she’s been exiled to this lovely place and needs to take a big risk to prove herself — borrowing liberally from Hot Fuzz, here). I’ve also added a bit more detail to her partner, who I’m assuming here is both a Sleeper (it’s not completely clear from your blurb) and also possibly has a bit of a sketchy past themselves.

I’ve kept a lot of the cliched language because, yeah, I see why you’re using it and I think in the context of a blurb that needs to get info across really quickly and clearly, cliches are somewhat justified.

Mostly I did this just as a fun exercise for myself, so if you do get anything out of this, all the better :)

(I’m also not a fan of my new first line, but hopefully you can see what I’m going for, at least)

rohan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 14, 2021

newts
Oct 10, 2012
That sounds like a better book than the one I wrote!

Thanks! This actually helps a lot.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Workshopped a story recently that received really good feedback and I'm in the process of painstakingly editing it. The story is first person literary fiction in the past tense. There's points where a sentence describes something in the past tense (what happened that day, in the past) but then makes a global statement in the present tense (what happens always). Not sure if there is a technical name for it, but to give you an idea (not from the story), something like: The weather was bad. It always rains in July.

So in the my workshop draft, the second sentence of the story was:

story posted:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity, where the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

The idea being, again, the earth labored that day, but the air drips in all humid August days. At least one reader got hung up on tense. Also, my wife pointed out 'where' should be 'when', which seems like it has to be correct but feels slightly weird.

If I put it in past tense, it feels wrong. But I can't say exactly why.

story posted:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity, where/when the air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

I'm at the point where I've stared at the words so long they've started to lose meaning and could use another set of eyes.

Some other examples of whatever you call the past/present split from the story:

quote:

He clapped me on the back with his free hand and I returned the gesture. We do not shake hands here.

quote:

His ranch house lay a mile down narrow trails snaking through the pine forest, labyrinthine at first, until you realize that all paths lead to the pond's fragrant shores

newts
Oct 10, 2012
So, that earth example is a stumper for sure—I don’t know if I can untangle that. But for the other two, I’d prefer a past tense for the whole thing:

He clapped me on the back with his free hand and I returned the gesture. We did not shake hands here.

His ranch house lay a mile down narrow trails snaking through the pine forest, labyrinthine at first, until you realized that all paths led to the pond's fragrant shores.

I don’t know, it just reads more easily to me. The only place where I wouldn’t mind what you have, is if you’ve got weird narrative stuff going on: a narrator telling a story that jumps in time or other timeline strangeness.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

I think newts is right about keeping it past tense. I didn’t find a name for this, stating facts when in past tense, but I do know that’s what you’re supposed to do when essay writing (e.g., “one plus one equals two”). However it definitely reads weird in the samples posted, and I think what’s happening is that the present tense reads like it’s the author’s POV rather than the character’s. If the narrative is told from one character’s POV, this takes the reader out of the story.

My suggestion is to find another way of expressing the difference in current action and facts, such as:

Story posted:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity, where the air always dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.
Here I added “always” to clarify this is typical weather. (I also think in this case that it’s not actually a fact the way something like the math example is a fact—like this statement wouldn’t be true for where I live, so that might be part of why it sounds weird to readers.)

I also think “where” might be fine here since the subject of the clause is the humidity, not August.

Story posted:

He clapped me on the back with his free hand and I returned the gesture. No one shook hands here.
In this example I shifted “we” to “no one” to make it clear that it’s applicable to everyone, not just the two characters in the moment.

It’s possible something along these lines would read clearer?

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
In my opinion and the two above me will attest to this, always write to be as clear as possible. No two sentences in english should mean the same thing.

Also write to make it as easy as possible for the reader to read, like in newts book it’s pretty clear what we know and don’t knkw but the inquiry keeps me turning pages(also hot tovrash sex jokes)

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Workshopped a story recently that received really good feedback and I'm in the process of painstakingly editing it. The story is first person literary fiction in the past tense. There's points where a sentence describes something in the past tense (what happened that day, in the past) but then makes a global statement in the present tense (what happens always). Not sure if there is a technical name for it, but to give you an idea (not from the story), something like: The weather was bad. It always rains in July.

The usage of 'where' in the original isn't formal but it also doesn't need to be.

That said, while I recognize that the comma after 'humidity' in the original version might reflect your intended syncopation it also makes it less clear if what comes after is an expansion on the idea of mid-August humidity or if it's an addendum to your description of the earth. It's significantly clearer (to me) if you remove it.

'Where/when' in the past tense version feels, to me, wrong, because it's signalling something that no longer happens. In the original sentence it's part of an (informal) speech pattern signalling that you've gone from telling me something about the earth to expanding on what mid-August humidity is like. In the past-tense sentence that distinction is no longer present and the 'where/when' is now out of place. Without the where/when it doesn't bother me but I also then read it as an expansion of your description of the earth.

White Chocolate posted:

In my opinion and the two above me will attest to this, always write to be as clear as possible. [...]

Also write to make it as easy as possible for the reader to read, like in newts book it’s pretty clear what we know and don’t knkw but the inquiry keeps me turning pages(also hot tovrash sex jokes)

I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a work of fiction that dedicated itself to both of these things and I'm not sure something can be accurately described as literary fiction (which is what ultrachrist called it) if it does both of these things. The bible is only literature if you aren't a literalist.

Wallet fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Sep 16, 2021

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby

Wallet posted:

The usage of 'where' in the original isn't formal but it also doesn't need to be.

That said, while I recognize that the comma after 'humidity' in the original version might reflect your intended syncopation it also makes it less clear if what comes after is an expansion on the idea of mid-August humidity or if it's an addendum to your description of the earth. It's significantly clearer (to me) if you remove it.

'Where/when' in the past tense version feels, to me, wrong, because it's signalling something that no longer happens. In the original sentence it's part of an (informal) speech pattern signalling that you've gone from telling me something about the earth to expanding on what mid-August humidity is like. In the past-tense sentence that distinction is no longer present and the 'where/when' is now out of place. Without the where/when it doesn't bother me but I also then read it as an expansion of your description of the earth.

I'm not sure I've ever enjoyed a work of fiction that dedicated itself to both of these things and I'm not sure something can be accurately described as literary fiction (which is what ultrachrist called it) if it does both of these things. The bible is only literature if you aren't a literalist.

Whoops literary fiction flew over my head. Okay, I just think write how you want, but get feedback in a workshop setting.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
Yes, it's literary fiction and already workshopped. I'm following a rule where if more than one person flagged something, I change it. Only one person flagged this case and only on that first sentence, so I didn't really ask to discuss it. But then my wife read it and also flagged it and I'm anxious about it because it's the second sentence of the story. First impressions and all that.

For context, it's about a man returning to his rural place of birth (after living in a city for several years) after his childhood best friend dies. He doesn't really belong in either place, so it's important which areas he includes himself in ("We do not shake hands") vs not. It takes place in multiple timelines but they're all in the past. There's never a present narrative moment, but there's a light sense that the protagonist is telling the story. He doesn't directly address the reader but there's asides, footnotes, and rhetorical questions. I suppose I feel this way about most first person narration though-- they're telling the story to someone. If not another character, then the reader.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure I've reached a conclusion, but you've all given me valuable things to think about.

newts posted:

I don’t know, it just reads more easily to me. The only place where I wouldn’t mind what you have, is if you’ve got weird narrative stuff going on: a narrator telling a story that jumps in time or other timeline strangeness.

Honestly, I would like to be able to say "Past tense is simpler" and just do it. But those rewritten examples just feel off to me. I think it might be because of what Wallet is saying: it makes it feel as if those things happened in the past and don't happen anymore. Also probably the same reason kaom added "always" to the first sentence.

kaom posted:

It’s possible something along these lines would read clearer?

These are really interesting rewrites. You've made them past tense without triggering my sense of "off" that I mentioned above. But for whatever reason, I also feel like the language distances us from the character and setting. Huh.

Wallet posted:

I get what you're saying and I absolutely over comma. I feel really unsure of the flow without the comma though. Feels like a mouthful. Trying it on for size.

quote:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity where the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

ultrachrist posted:

Honestly, I would like to be able to say "Past tense is simpler" and just do it. But those rewritten examples just feel off to me. I think it might be because of what Wallet is saying: it makes it feel as if those things happened in the past and don't happen anymore. Also probably the same reason kaom added "always" to the first sentence.

I just meant that it's signalling that you're about to expand on what mid-August humidity is but you no longer do because the structure makes it read like you're just additionally describing the state of the earth, and the where/when is just a misplaced word and the tense is wonky.

Commas can get a little weird when you're using them for both rhythm and syntax at the same time. I think you could also get away with a colon instead of where.

quote:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity: the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

Further afield you could also reformulate so the second bit doesn't need commas.

quote:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity, where shade offers no balm in the dripping air and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

:shrug:

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

ultrachrist, hope I'm not late to the party. I think the issue in two of the examples is that they switch tenses without a strong grammatical signal such as "when" or a sentence break. Here, using past tense to focus on the events of the story seems better to me, but as you don't like that, you might try this kind of strong signal.

Taking the "mid-August" sentence first, what about replacing "humidity" with a colon, or ending the sentence? Repeating the information immediately is awkward, and so's the "where", but then you might want to change the start of the sentence, which is a pity as it's strong; I think it really needs "mid-August's [something]" but I'm not sure what. Here's some sketches:

quote:

The earth labored in mid-August's clutch: the air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

The earth labored in August's grip: the air dripped, shade offered no relief, and thermometers read the same at noon and at midnight.

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity. The air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August. The air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

Mid-August in Whereverford is miserable: the earth labors, the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

Mid-August in Whereverford is miserable, as the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight.

I think the "ranch house" sentence has the same problem. There's the "at first, until", too. If you want to keep using present tense, how about breaking it into two sentences?

quote:

His ranch house lay a mile down narrow trails snaking through the pine forest, labyrinthine until you realized that all the paths led to the pond's fragrant shores

His ranch house lay a mile down narrow trails snaking through the pine forest. It's still like that: labyrinthine until you realize that all the paths lead to the pond's fragrant shores

The "not shaking hands" example is already broken up, and present tense seems more comfortable stating an abstract fact than concrete ones, so I don't see a major issue there. Just a nitpick: like kaom, I thought "we" might be confusing; how about replacing it with "people"?

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Safety Biscuits posted:

ultrachrist, hope I'm not late to the party.

Definitely not, will be polishing this for a while yet. I actually had been thinking over breaking it into two sentences after reading Wallet's suggestion about the colon. I'd arrived at your third line: The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity. The air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

This was OK, but I didn't like the new rhythm of the paragraph and it also made it sound like this state of affairs was only that day and not all mid-August days. So I tried:

quote:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity. Another day where the air dripped, shade offered no balm, and the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

Taking this idea further...

quote:

The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity. The air dripped, shade offered no balm. Another stagnant day where the thermometer read the same at noon as it did at midnight.

(maybe just cut the thermometer line, I guess)

For context, since the first two examples are in the first two paragraphs, here's the beginning of the story. The (1) is a footnote.

story posted:

I trudged through the woods with a 2 x 4 x 96 whitewood stud slung across my shoulders. The earth labored in the clutch of mid-August humidity, where the air drips, shade offers no balm, and the thermometer reads the same at noon as it does at midnight. Sweat washed me, soiled me, then pooled in the soft hollows of my body. The stud dug into my skin and my neck throbbed under the dense pressure. When the pain reached a predetermined threshold, I switched positions so that the stud was tucked beneath my right arm with my left crossed over my body to keep it steady. The wood rubbed against my inner wrist, tempting hungry welts to rise from my skin and meet it. When, again, the pain reached the threshold(1), I slung the stud back over my shoulders.

I needed to borrow Wayne Pelletier’s table saw. His ranch house lay a mile down narrow trails snaking through the pine forest, labyrinthine at first, until you realize that all paths lead to the pond's fragrant shores. My bed was broken and I intended to fix it. An impossible task with a 2 x 4 x 96, but a pair of 2 x 2 x 84’s would do just fine. Instead of tossing the stud into the back of my truck and driving the long way around the pond as a sensible person ought, I opted for a more sentimental route: the path through the woods, shorter as the crow flies, that I once took to meet up with Wayne’s son, Roger, in the sunsplotched torpor of our youth.

(1) Captured as an equation, this would appear as: ((distance to destination / steps walked) * pain) / position switches = X. Where X is the amount of sustained discomfort I could withstand between position switches without going insane, or possibly crying. The latter is worse in these parts.

(Oh, I'm doing the tense thing again in the footnote)

I've become uncertain about the ranch line. Might rework that in general. I also want to cut fragrant, maybe "waiting" is better. The name of the story is "The Pond, Again", so readers would know the pond is important in some way before reading the actual text.

And here's the shaking hands paragraph. Even managed to work tense discussion into the narrative itself!

story posted:

“Hello Wayne.” I leaned the stud against the porch and climbed the unfinished wooden steps to meet him. He clapped me on the back with his free hand and I returned the gesture. We do not shake hands here. Wayne smelled of cigarettes, exhaust, dirt, sweat, B.O., and faintly of oil-- a variation on the cologne all men from my hometown wore when I was young. I suppose I should stop thinking of them in the past tense, as fossils calcified in my childhood. Not only are they still here, paws slick with grease, they’ve been here all this time-- tinkering, wearing out jeans, developing cancer. The world didn’t stop when I left.

ultrachrist fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Sep 17, 2021

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

It's that time of year again where I'm jumping into the querying process, so I'd love some feedback on my most recent query if anybody's got the time.

quote:

Dear [Agent],

I’m currently seeking representation for my fantasy novel, WE FIGHT ALONE. Based on your [reasons I’m querying this agent], I’m excited to submit my query for your consideration.

Three years ago, Senth Lantham was enjoying a carefree life of crime when he got word that his brother was murdered. After a short trip home and a long investigation, Senth has found the culprits: the Children of Kezzar, a cult of human-animal chimera who pray to a demonic god named Kezzar. In a perfect world, Senth would kill them all for what they did, but there are dozens of them and only one of him. To make them pay, he’ll have to take a different approach: join their ranks and destroy them from within.

Anari Askad is the lone human living on the Knotted Isle, home of the Children of Kezzar. Normally, chimera want nothing to do with humans, but she’s got a special connection to their god. With Anari’s help, Kezzar can exude massive waves of power, providing the chimera with much-needed protection from humanity. This power has made Anari so important to the chimera that they’ve tasked her with summoning Kezzar to wipe out humanity. Only Anari knows that when Kezzar rises, he’ll kill everyone in his path, including the chimera who worship him—and that’s exactly why Anari is summoning him.

With less than two months until the summoning ceremony, Anari doesn’t need any distractions, so she’s furious when Senth appears and charms his way into the group. Her irritation grows as she realizes that she, too, finds him charming—but he’s also intrigued by her. As the days until the summoning dwindle, both Anari and Senth will have to grapple with their growing attraction and focus on their goals. Only one of them can succeed; the other will lose everything they’ve worked towards.

[word count, comps, all that good poo poo]

Any feedback anybody can give would be much appreciated. Thanks!

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

Nae posted:

For context, I am a very bad reader and easily confused. But this sounds to me like Senth wants to kill the chimera (“destroy them from within”) and Anari also wants to kill the chimera (“including the chimera who worship him—and that’s exactly why Anari is summoning him”). So the final paragraph stating that they have mutually exclusive goals has me scratching my head. I know I’m missing something in the middle paragraph, but I can’t piece it together.

There’s a minor thing that jumped out at me, too: “she’s got a special connection” sounds more informal than everything else. Might be intentional, but if not maybe “she has” would be better at conveying the tone. :)

(I’ve never submitted anything anywhere btw so take me with a grain of salt.)

The vibe I’m getting is:

- fantasy, can’t peg it to a specific category
- significant romance component
- a lovable rogue & an aloof enchantress
- revenge (but this feels secondary to the romance)

kaom fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 18, 2021

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008

Nae posted:

It's that time of year again where I'm jumping into the querying process, so I'd love some feedback on my most recent query if anybody's got the time.

I'd advise against leading with the passive voice. The first paragraph starts with two sentences worth of it and then closes on another. The cult killed his brother. Make it active, then make his responsive active.

I'm no querying expert but I'm not sure about that swap to a second character. If the first guy shows up anyway, why not have him lead the transition to introduce the other character? And what's a wave of power?

Am I correctly understanding that Anari intends to wipe out both humanity and chimera? "With less than two months until the summoning ceremony, Anari doesn’t need any distractions" ... "doesn't need any distractions" sounds like someone studying for an exam, not summoning a god to wipe out sapient life.

I don't get how their goals are different either. They both seem to want to wipe out the chimera.

Lastly, I don't really get a sense of either character. Like who they are. Makes it hard to care about the stakes.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nae posted:

quote:

Three years ago, Senth Lantham was enjoying a carefree life of crime when he got word that his brother was murdered. After a short trip home and a long investigation, Senth has found the culprits: the Children of Kezzar, a cult of human-animal chimera who pray to a demonic god named Kezzar. In a perfect world, Senth would kill them all for what they did, but there are dozens of them and only one of him. To make them pay, he’ll have to take a different approach: join their ranks and destroy them from within.

Anari Askad is the lone human living on the Knotted Isle, home of the Children of Kezzar. Normally, chimera want nothing to do with humans, but she’s got a special connection to their god. With Anari’s help, Kezzar can exude massive waves of power, providing the chimera with much-needed protection from humanity. This power has made Anari so important to the chimera that they’ve tasked her with summoning Kezzar to wipe out humanity. Only Anari knows that when Kezzar rises, he’ll kill everyone in his path, including the chimera who worship him—and that’s exactly why Anari is summoning him.

With less than two months until the summoning ceremony, Anari doesn’t need any distractions, so she’s furious when Senth appears and charms his way into the group. Her irritation grows as she realizes that she, too, finds him charming—but he’s also intrigued by her. As the days until the summoning dwindle, both Anari and Senth will have to grapple with their growing attraction and focus on their goals. Only one of them can succeed; the other will lose everything they’ve worked towards.

Took a pass at it which is the only way I know how to give feedback sorry

quote:

The outlaw Senth Lantham never gave a drat about right and wrong until the day his brother was murdered. And now he knows exactly who did it: the Children of Kezzar, a cult of human-animal chimera whose demonic god promises the extinction of all mankind. There's no question at all that they deserve to die. But how? Outnumbered and alone, Senth stakes his life on a terrible gamble—joining the Children to destroy them from within. If it's the last thing he ever does, so be it. He can't let his brother down.

The Children of Kezzar have a mother, too. Anari Askad is the sole human the chimera need, and thus their [captive? hostage?]. Her special connection to Kezzar Himself shields the chimera stronghold from human sight. And in less than sixty days, when the stars are right, Anari will summon Kezzar to complete the chimera prophecy and wipe out humanity. Anari's the only one who knows that when Kezzar rises, He will destroy everything in His path—starting with the chimera who hold her captive. [Is this her motive? Does she care if the rest of humanity goes extinct? For example:] The rest of the world can burn, so long as she can finally be free. [Or is she going to be his demon bride or something? What does she get out of this? Is it pure revenge on the chimera?]

With her first and final chance at freedom so close, the last thing Anari needs is a distraction. So she's furious when Senth charms his way into the chimera cult [how can he pass as a chimera?] and [does what?] Her irritation only grows when she realizes that he's not just charming, he's charming her. As the days til the end of the world dwindle, both Anari and Senth find their growing attraction at odds with their goals. Only one of them can succeed; the other will be utterly destroyed. [Why? Why can't they both succeed?]

I don't understand enough about Anari's plans to understand why she and Senth can't just team up—don't they both want all these chimera to die? If he'd have problems with the whole 'destroying the world' plan she could just lie to him, right? And does she really not care if the whole world is destroyed?

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Thank you all so much for the feedback! I can see how the last line is causing the most problems, along with the lack of voice/personality.

The main reason that Senth and Anari can't both achieve their goals (which I'm realizing I didn't put into the query) is that summoning Kezzar requires a human sacrifice, and Senth doesn't want any more humans to die like his brother did. So for Kezzar to be summoned (Anari's goal), a human will have to die (Senth's fail state).

Battuta, for your question: 'Does Anari really care if the world is destroyed?' Yes, she does, but she has other plans for Kezzar that only come out 2/3rds of the way through the book, so for most of the story, it comes across like she doesn't care at all and she just wants everyone to die.

I'll take another crack at the letter and post what I come up with. Thanks again for all the help!

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

Glad to see you’re still writing, Nae. Maybe one day I can be as brave.

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS posted:

Glad to see you’re still writing, Nae. Maybe one day I can be as brave.

It's not so bad after you get rejected enough times. Just kind of becomes status quo, I guess.

Anyway, I banged around the query for another ten minutes, shamelessly taking parts from Battuta's rework in the process, and I think I came up with something that makes more sense and answers some of the questions.

quote:

Part-time criminal Senth Lantham never gave a drat about his family until the day his brother was murdered. Now he knows exactly who did it: the Children of Kezzar, a cult of human-animal chimera who plan to resurrect their demonic god through human sacrifice. There's no question that Senth must stop them from killing again. But how? Outnumbered and alone, he stakes his life on a terrible gamble—joining the Children to sabotage their ritual from within. If it's the last thing he ever does, so be it. He can't let the cultists tear another family apart.

What Senth doesn’t know is that the Children of Kezzar are a family, too. They even have a trusted human in their ranks: Anari Askad, the only person who can communicate with Kezzar. She’s never been open about how she gained her powers, but the chimera can’t say no to their god’s favorite child when he provides them with food and protection. And in less than sixty days, when the stars are right, Anari will summon Kezzar to wipe out humanity. If she fails, Kezzar will cut off his blessings, leaving the chimera starving and exposed. Anari’s already lost one family to Kezzar’s malice; she can’t afford to lose another.

With the date of the summoning fast approaches, the last thing Anari needs is a distraction. So she's furious when Senth charms his way into the chimera cult and turns them against each other. Her irritation only grows when she realizes that he's not just charming, he's charming her. As the days til the sacrifice dwindle, both Anari and Senth find their growing attraction at odds with their goals. If Senth succeeds in sabotaging the summoning, the chimera are as good as dead; if Anari succeeds, the same fate awaits humankind. No matter who wins, everybody loses.

Note: if it seems like Anari's motivations in this query contradict the last one, that's kind of true. The story is written in dual-POV epistolary, so Anari's half of the letters have some real contradictions between what she's telling people she wants and what she actually wants. For the sake of clarity, I'm going with the motivations she gives others in this query, since they're the ones that are at the forefront for most of the book.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

I’m a bit late to this, but I saw your initial query and couldn’t resist taking my own stab at it. As with my previous attempt, I’ve had to take some liberties with characterisation and events that I’m not clear on, but hopefully the intent comes through.

I think the biggest problem in your first draft was definitely the question of how their motivations were at odds, and the second goes a way to resolving that, but I think if this “unreliable narrator” aspect of the epistolary format plays a strong part in disguising Anari’s true goals, there needs to be some indication of that in the query itself.

quote:

Senth Lantham, exiled from his homeland of [someplace] for thievery and deception three years earlier, is summoned back urgently with terrible news: his brother has been murdered by the Children of Kezzar, a cult of human-animal chimera who worship a demonic god. Outnumbered and alone, Senth will have to use the skills he’s acquired in exile to infiltrate their ranks and destroy them from within.

Anari Askad is the lone human on the Knotted Isle, sacred home of the Children of Kezzar, and possesses a special connection to their god that the chimera believe will give her the power to summon him and destroy humanity. She alone can speak with Kezzar; it is a role she has performed ever since the chimera slaughtered her parents and stole her as an infant.

With the summoning ceremony only months away, Anari must dedicate her every moment toward strengthening her bond with the slumbering god. She’s furious when her life’s plans are threatened by the sudden arrival of a newcomer, Senth — a human who’s charmed his way into the cult with stories of his own connection to their god, and plans to disrupt their ceremony to avoid any more sacrifices. If he’s successful, the chimera will perish without Kezzar’s protection — and Anari has already lost one family. If Anari is successful, all of humanity will be at risk — but she alone knows Kezzar’s true motivations.

Senth and Anari must contend with their opposing plans for the ceremony, their different beliefs about family, revenge, and sacrifice, and their growing attraction for one another — while the bloodthirsty Children of Kezzar grow impatient and the date of the summoning grows nearer.

Here, I’ve tried to give a bit more backstory to Senth and Anari to help establish their motivations — Senth is a criminal who’s particularly good at deception and trickery, Anari is somewhat held against her will by these violent cultists (I’m imagining “she’s already lost one family” implies they killed her birth family … ?). I think my changes here go some way to explaining how Senth is able to infiltrate the chimera, which is still an open question to me after your second draft, and sets up some organic tension between the two humans. I’m also hoping that “she alone knows Kezzar’s true motivations” alludes to her having her own plan for the summoning, but it’s difficult to establish this without being too obvious. (But then, this is a query letter, not a blurb.)

I’m also assuming you mention it being an epistolary novel in the word count + comps section?

rohan fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 18, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nae posted:

It's not so bad after you get rejected enough times. Just kind of becomes status quo, I guess.

Anyway, I banged around the query for another ten minutes, shamelessly taking parts from Battuta's rework in the process, and I think I came up with something that makes more sense and answers some of the questions.

Note: if it seems like Anari's motivations in this query contradict the last one, that's kind of true. The story is written in dual-POV epistolary, so Anari's half of the letters have some real contradictions between what she's telling people she wants and what she actually wants. For the sake of clarity, I'm going with the motivations she gives others in this query, since they're the ones that are at the forefront for most of the book.

This is like ten miles better (and I’m not saying that because you used some of mine, the specific changes you made really really strengthened it). Now I actually want to read this. Well done.