Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

it played at the toronto international film festival so its hypothetically possible that shrike has seen it but why bother entertaining this possibility when you can just ignore shrike instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

it's out in europe and asia so sucks to be in north america now i guess :shrug:

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Marvel movies are specifically market researched for appealing to the lowest common denominator of society for maximum $$$

Scorsese, Coppola, Alan Moore, Villeneuve, etc are all right about this — like how is this even controversial lol. These are loving kid movies and its alarming how so many ostensible adults in our alienated society find them profound as if they’re equivalent to Tolstoy and Shakespeare ffs

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’m watching the Cinemax/HBO show Warrior and it’s a blast. the fights are so well done but I’m really impressed by the variety. there’s a lot of kung fu with various weapons of course, but then they also have Irish street pugilists getting in brawls and ring-fights, gun fights, Western style defend-the-barn showdowns, explosions, this show has it all.

it’s set in San Francisco in the 1870s and based on some stuff Bruce Lee was working on. just watch the first scene, if you aren’t hooked by the time the opening credits roll it’s probably not for you. it’s by the team who did Banshee and they have guys from The Raid working on it so you know the fight choreography is top notch

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

MLSM posted:

Marvel movies are specifically market researched for appealing to the lowest common denominator of society for maximum $$$

Scorsese, Coppola, Alan Moore, Villeneuve, etc are all right about this — like how is this even controversial lol. These are loving kid movies and its alarming how so many ostensible adults in our alienated society find them profound as if they’re equivalent to Tolstoy and Shakespeare ffs

Yes but now you can't say that because the studio is hitting all the race filter options.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

indigi posted:

I’m watching the Cinemax/HBO show Warrior and it’s a blast. the fights are so well done but I’m really impressed by the variety. there’s a lot of kung fu with various weapons of course, but then they also have Irish street pugilists getting in brawls and ring-fights, gun fights, Western style defend-the-barn showdowns, explosions, this show has it all.

it’s set in San Francisco in the 1870s and based on some stuff Bruce Lee was working on. just watch the first scene, if you aren’t hooked by the time the opening credits roll it’s probably not for you. it’s by the team who did Banshee and they have guys from The Raid working on it so you know the fight choreography is top notch

yes. I watched the first episode on a whim not knowing what to expect but it kicks rear end (so I watched all of them)

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

finally POC are having their stories that were written by a white man in the 70s experimenting with mids told

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

MLSM posted:

maybe I just haven't talked to anyone in a while because pandemic, but is this really a mainstream thing? I have never, ever met anyone in real life who thinks the marvel movies are doing an important societal job or that they're transcendent pieces of cinema. some people seem to have fun spotting the Easter eggs in loki or whatever and that's it

there's clearly some extreme weirdos online who will jump like they've been shocked when they see criticism of marvel movies but, well, that's online fandoms for you. again, maybe it's just me, but this does not seem to be a real world phenomenon at all

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Aglet56 posted:

maybe I just haven't talked to anyone in a while because pandemic, but is this really a mainstream thing? I have never, ever met anyone in real life who thinks the marvel movies are doing an important societal job or that they're transcendent pieces of cinema. some people seem to have fun spotting the Easter eggs in loki or whatever and that's it

there's clearly some extreme weirdos online who will jump like they've been shocked when they see criticism of marvel movies but, well, that's online fandoms for you. again, maybe it's just me, but this does not seem to be a real world phenomenon at all

its probably a small portion of the fanbase of these movies that make a billion dollars every release but theres definitely lots of these freaks around. theres so many thinkpieces and poo poo that cater to them

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

theres even several people in this forum, this thread even, who call martin a dumb old man for observing baby movies as such

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

Farm Frenzy posted:

theres even several people in this forum, this thread even, who call martin a dumb old man for observing baby movies as such

sad!

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Aglet56 posted:

i think it's mainly centered around Black Panther and stuff where there's a clear push to valorize superhero movies with poc, although as you say the people i know irl just want to see a big punch man movie

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

disney has had entire media cycles about their 'first ever openly gay character' at least seven times at this point. that poo poo has to appeal to someone

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020
disney definitely purposefully stokes the culture war fire every single time they have a major release. its sexist to not like captain marvel. racist to not like black panther, etc. wildly effective marketing scheme i guess

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

a manbaby that likes MCU fare probably has better politics than a "sophisticated" consumer of movies such as sicario or godfather

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

its probably a small portion of the fanbase of these movies that make a billion dollars every release but theres definitely lots of these freaks around. theres so many thinkpieces and poo poo that cater to them

this. there's going to a percentage of psychos for most anything; and especially wider when they have a massive audience making bazillinga $$ a year. it just so happens most of them are on twitter and even these very forums.

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

disney definitely purposefully stokes the culture war fire every single time they have a major release. its sexist to not like captain marvel. racist to not like black panther, etc. wildly effective marketing scheme i guess
hollywood has gotten good at this string pulling by a sycophantic army of social media libs. i have a feeling an overwhelming majority of the shadowy ghost conservative figments that they felt the need to post2praxis against don't even really exist -- i.e. the lady ghostbusters era was horrible

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
COVID has made superhero movies so much easier to ignore that I can't even get annoyed by them anymore. They're just there

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

anyway i watched malignant and it was like 20 minutes too long but otherwise pretty fun and the ending is very funny. for all the 80s, giallo and raimi references it reminded me the most of weird self aware intentionally lovely 90s slashers like wishmaster and leprechaun

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

anyway i watched malignant and it was like 20 minutes too long but otherwise pretty fun and the ending is very funny. for all the 80s, giallo and raimi references it reminded me the most of weird self aware intentionally lovely 90s slashers like wishmaster and leprechaun

is it worth watching if you dislike self-aware intentional lovely stuff like sharknado? i prefer sincerity, regardless of 'campy' levels, 70s-80s horrory stuff more. i don't like stuff that's more like directors going oh hahah ya bro i also watch mst3k, u like that ref?? lmao this is so bad am i right??

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 18 hours!

Xaris posted:

is it worth watching if you dislike self-aware intentional lovely stuff like sharknado? i prefer sincerity, regardless of 'campy' levels, 70s-80s horrory stuff more.

no, I’m the same way and thought it was garbage

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
that loving avatar

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Xaris posted:

is it worth watching if you dislike self-aware intentional lovely stuff like sharknado? i prefer sincerity, regardless of 'campy' levels, 70s-80s horrory stuff more. i don't like stuff that's more like directors going oh hahah ya bro i also watch mst3k, u like that ref?? lmao this is so bad am i right??

i guess you gotta watch it to find out, but it isn't on the level of sharknado

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

shrike82 posted:

a manbaby that likes MCU fare probably has better politics than a "sophisticated" consumer of movies such as sicario or godfather

liking those two movies means you root for china, which i do, so theory busted idiot

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

I hated Sharknado, Kung Fury etc but had a blast with Malignant. It's more 90's schlock than unsubtle irony poisoning.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

Xaris posted:

the actual filmmaking is pretty competent in a way that overt joke movies like sharknado and kung fury arent

Farm Frenzy has issued a correction as of 04:08 on Sep 17, 2021

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

like imagine a slightly worse drag me to hell that turns into freddie vs jason

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Kind of suspect Disney is being run by Ivy League old money that has no idea how humans operate . . .

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Farm Frenzy posted:

like imagine a slightly worse drag me to hell that turns into freddie vs jason

alright sounds good enough, i'll give it a whirl at some point here since there isn't much else. 2021 is mostly dire for movies but I loved The Green Knight and Pig; Nobody was decent enough flick, and Night Drive was surprisingly good for a no-budget movie. Free Guy was ok, better than I expected, and felt very early 2000s.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Xaris posted:

the movie owns specifically because it never winks at the camera about its goofy poo poo

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

It was alright, the lighting and cinematography were the strongest parts imo. Watch it if you want a somewhat unconventional horror-ish movie. I don't love jump scares, gore, or self aware genre films and this kept my attention almost the entire time. Agree it should've been ~20 mins shorter.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Ghosthotel posted:

the movie owns specifically because it never winks at the camera about its goofy poo poo

That's what I really loved about Yakuza apocalypse when it went completely overboard, 100% sincere the whole way

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

as far as black-led Marvel movies go Blade >>>>>>>> Black Panther

nothing in Black Panther is better than that scene in Blade where the cops shoot him as he’s fighting a vampire and he goes “are you out of your motherfuckin mind!?”

indigi has issued a correction as of 04:25 on Sep 17, 2021

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
hmm, i went to the shang-chi imdb page to see who wrote it and lol at this wall of shame:

indigi posted:

as far as black-led Marvel movies go Blade >>>>>>>> Black Panther

nothing in Black Panther is better than that scene in Blade where the cops shoot him as he’s fighting a vampire and he goes “are you out of your motherfuckin mind!?”

blade owns.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
lmao that i just remember the ghoul/familiar in blade is a cop who serves the elite white vampires

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
Blade definitely owns. Now Disney is making a PG13 one lmfao

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

crepeface posted:

hmm, i went to the shang-chi imdb page to see who wrote it and lol at this wall of shame:

drat, not a single good movie (closest is, uh, Godzilla?) but keeps getting to write blockbusters cause he’s bankable, I guess. good for him

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the first Expendables was good

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it was very entertaining for sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

crepeface posted:

accented cinema just made a video about shang-chi and the prevalence to otherize asian-americans in media.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnAEAQtIvGo
this is a great video thanks for posting it