Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

the only thing i know about Xenosaga is that the tragic tale of Albedo is one of the top 10 most shakespearian video game moments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Jimbot posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrfsTNNCbP0

This is a supreme awesome video on a subject I genuinely didn't know much about.

Welcome to The War on Cars

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5POb5fQ4BYM

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Alaois posted:

the only thing i know about Xenosaga is that the tragic tale of Albedo is one of the top 10 most shakespearian video game moments

And it was retconned heavily in the Japan-only DS retelling of the first two games. Also I'm still incredibly appalled by how bad the anime adaptation was, throwing out a whole bunch of things for no reason that were... kinda load-bearing plot elements.

(I have spent too much of 2020-2021 with the Xenosaga games as the research gal for a podcast and we're all loving morons for taking this too seriously.)

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

secretly best girl posted:

And it was retconned heavily in the Japan-only DS retelling of the first two games. Also I'm still incredibly appalled by how bad the anime adaptation was, throwing out a whole bunch of things for no reason that were... kinda load-bearing plot elements.

(I have spent too much of 2020-2021 with the Xenosaga games as the research gal for a podcast and we're all loving morons for taking this too seriously.)

The anime is a worse anime than Episode 1 was. It's remarkable

And I don't listen to podcasts ever outside of one wrestling show but this I will gladly follow, thank you for the link.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

We legit had to turn to buying bootlegs to get copies because people wouldn't even seed it. JRPG die-hards, who keep scans of artbooks, extensive lore websites, interview creators, scream for an HD remaster, and so on, would not even make sure that this series stayed available.

Also because not enough people can see it on an audio medium: this show looked like this. This was official art.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

stargate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cClnrO64mpE

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Xenosaga 2 I think I made it as far as the Gnosis ship and just completely lost interest. It felt like it pivoted from its focus on Shion and KOS-MOS which was the interesting bit and I feel like they cranked the difficulty up because you had to grind for ages to get fights not to feel like a terrible slog. I kind of wish I'd played 3 but at the time I knew it was the last one and wasn't exactly stoked to go finish 2.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

egg tats posted:

you might be talking about CJ the X's "The Neurosis of Cat Valentine" which is mostly about Ariana Grande's character, but takes an aside to talk about Jeannette McCurdy's horrifying treatment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IdDA9B2qiK4

I watched this video btw and it's great. Providing insight and thought and analysis and jokes that really keep me paying attention to a video about a children's sitcom written by a sexual predator.

Garrand posted:

I remember a long time ago there was a fantasy movie of some kind where it was like whoopi goldberg was the queen, the king was white and the prince asian? And I remember jokes being made about that but in retrospect it's like why the gently caress not? It's a goddamn fantasy film, gently caress it.

I think it kind of depends. Like there are settings where going "Whatever, it's a diverse cast, this is made up, deal with it you racist babies" is fine. Something like Avatar, which is a Western fantasy story very deliberately drawing on a melange of East Asian cultures, where there are no explicit 1:1 analogues to Europeans, really shouldn't be pushing that. It's like the dumb attempts to do live action adaptions of Earthsea that ignore the very explicit statements of Ursula K. Le Guin that the main characters are not white.

As far as why The Last Airbender didn't do that though... I don't know. Reading stuff about it over the years it always sounded like nobody in charge of the film respected the property except maybe Shyamalan, who had to make do with what he had (his own writing and directing abilities, for whatever that means to any one person.) Meanwhile, everyone else was just in it to make a quick buck on a children's fantasy movie after that wave had already crashed against the rocks and washed back out to sea.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

And I don't listen to podcasts ever outside of one wrestling show but this I will gladly follow, thank you for the link.

I love how the anime made the bold plot swerves of having Virgil survive the Woglinde in the place of Cherenkov and then skip the Cathedral Ship completely, since there was no point in visiting the Cherenkov Character Development Detour Zone with him already dead, and then they just... did nothing with Virgil as a character. For like the entire run of the anime. They purposefully changed the story to do something new and explore a character badly in need of exploration, and they immediately punted.

"Okay, we saved Virgil and he's a main character now. What can we do with him?"

"Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu"

This was official art.

Yeah, Xenosaga was cursed with some ugly rear end art direction all throughout it's belabored existence, but the anime's was the absolute nadir of it all.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Also can we talk about podcasts here? Are you online creators?

I wanna listen to all these and maybe offer comments if you don't mind.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Also can we talk about podcasts here? Are you online creators?

I wanna listen to all these and maybe offer comments if you don't mind.

I gave the introductory episode of the Xenosaga season a listen. It's pretty good so far. It got quite a few laughs out of me.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
This is in the Rapidly Going Deaf forum, if we can't talk about podcasts here it would be super weird. Also we talk about Dogs Must Die sometimes so I guess it's kosher.

Edit: Podcasts are video essays with your eyes closed.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

YggiDee posted:

This is in the Rapidly Going Deaf forum, if we can't talk about podcasts here it would be super weird. Also we talk about Dogs Must Die sometimes so I guess it's kosher.

Edit: Podcasts are video essays with your eyes closed.

Considering how many people in this thread say they just have the videos on in the background without actually putting their eyeballs on them I think there is even less of a difference

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Q7eU3VUi14

Mark Brown of GMTK is making a game.

Also for some reason I find it really weird to actually see his face when he talks.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
xenosaga

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

if someone on the internet tells you they're into gnosticism, it's a 60/40 split that what they actually mean is that they're way into either SMT or Xenosaga

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I have Xenogeara on my PS3 as one of the many JRPGs in my backlog that I look at an go "Eh, bit long that one"

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I absolutely love all the Xeno- games. I don’t care how weird or goofy they get.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Xenosaga has an important place in the chronology of the silent hill wiki circumcision meltdown

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

imagine 4 balls on the edge of a cliff <...> time works the same way

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I do have to disagree with the apparent dislike of EP1's artstyle. I mean, it isn't the best ever, but I always liked Shion's look more than how she turned out.

She doesn't even look like the same person to me. She became a supermodel, and her shorts have no zipper so you can see her panties. Somebody on Reddit told me this was common Japanese girl fashion at the time but gently caress if I know. I still don't like it.

The episode on Cathedral Ship and Cherenkov was a very interesting discussion that did leave me thinking for a bit. Does Cherenkov's words ("The world didn't reject me, I rejected the world.") contradict what we are shown with how his mistreatment makes him lash out at others? My first thought was we can't just focus on this scene with him on the beach, we have to consider the scene that immediately preceded it. Margulis makes him feel happy by bestowing upon him a purpose in his life, something Cherenkov bemoans that he never found when he was created to be a tool of war. His arc isn't just about the fact he was created to be violent, it's about the fact he doesn't know what to do with that violence. He wants only to find meaning in his life, a topic that comes up repeatedly with those associated with U-TIC. The overarching theme of all Xenosaga is Fear - Fear motivates our heroes and villains alike. They all fear different things and respond in different ways but it is still fear that drives them. Cherenkov feared having no reason to exist. So when he finally no longer did exist, he was at peace.

Also, this is from an official supplement for Episode 1:

quote:

*Enneagram Type
According to the Enneagram personality analysis, Andrew is classified as a type 1(self-disciplined / critical / responsible / self-righteous).

"Having been subjected to personality reconditioning, the personality type seen here is like a "postscript", as he himself said to Shion onboard the Elsa. It can be surmised that his original personality type was an unhealthy Type 9. That being the case, his passionate, incomplete heart would have been suppressed, his feelings of helplessness would have made him reckless, and there would be a strong inclination for him to lose sight of himself and succumb to severe mental illness. His despair would be clearly visible from his words and deeds, and he would get into a very agitated and confused state. He would also behave in a coercive manner towards others. Even if his current personality can be said to be just a postscript after his reconditioning, being a Type 1, he should be thought of as a person with flowing thoughts, capable of perceiving, understanding and making use of the things around him. There are significant differences between the personality he built from his own experiences and one that was forcibly planted in him, but they look the same on the surface.

Type 1 persons are polite and proper in their behavior, and value self-control. They feel they have to restrain their impulses and desires. Of course, this was a natural fit for the personality instilled in Andrew in order to suppress his aggressive impulses. He is strongly aware of the unreasonable impulses within himself, and at the same time afraid of [accidentally] unleashing them. He substitutes his suppressed aggressive tendencies for his uncertain sense of other people. In order to justify himself, he convinces himself that other people need to be punished. To affirm himself, Andrew attached strong significance to Margulis' tempting words to him about putting himself in a position to punish elitists and ignorant people. He would be punishing foolish criminals. By thinking along those lines, he could turn his aggressive impulses into something just, in the service of a greater cause."
- Xenosaga Official Design Materials

Naturally you don't have to think Enneagram is legitimate in real life but the writers themselves chose to apply it to each character so I've always felt it was a helpful lens with which to understand the characters.

Also Nietzsche is good in some ways, like most philosophers I've found.

Also also as a Shion fan, I gotta say:
Shion explicitly leaves Google and joins a hacktivist organization to uncover The Truth(TM) and take them down.

EDIT:
secretly best girl I'm not sure who you are on the podcast, sorry. Why I'm trying to spoiler everything

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Sep 17, 2021

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Xenosaga 1 also had some heavy but understandable censorship going on in the US.
I wouldnt know, we never even got the game over here in Europe. (They did give us Part 2 tho! ????)

Then they made up for it by giving us the excellent Xenoblade first. But comparing Xenoblade to Xenosaga (or even Xenogears) is like comparing apples and oranges.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

DeafNote posted:

Xenosaga 1 also had some heavy but understandable censorship going on in the US.
I wouldnt know, we never even got the game over here in Europe. (They did give us Part 2 tho! ????)

Then they made up for it by giving us the excellent Xenoblade first. But comparing Xenoblade to Xenosaga (or even Xenogears) is like comparing apples and oranges.

It's the greatest troll of all time. You didn't get Episode 1, you didn't get Episode 3, but you did get Episode 2. Not only did you solely get the middle part of a trilogy, you got what is basically universally agreed as the worst game in the trilogy.

As for censorship, it mainly hurt Episode 3. There is censorship in EP1 but it didn't really detract from any scenes. Meanwhile, there's a huge scene in EP3 that is written all around a character talking about blood when there is conspicuously no blood at all in the censored version we got.

I've always wanted to play a de-censored EP3 on PCSX2 or something but I don't think it exists. There are undubs but no thank you. I ain't losing the dub, I love the English dub. The podcast hasn't talked about how fantastic the dub is, especially for when it came out.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

DeafNote posted:

At least we got a DVD packaged with every single cut-scene in Xenosaga 1. Maybe the series isn't for me, or this being the worst possible way to tell the Xenosaga 1 story, but I remember my eyes glazing over after 20 minutes of that DVD. Except when the dude tore off his own head, that was fun/disturbing.

Edit: Also Toy Galaxy just did a video on my favorite Transformers movie, Transformers: The Movie. The story behind the movie is really funny with how surprised Hasbro was that kids actually cared about the characters in their shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vvMTUUdLwg

Archer666 fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 17, 2021

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
This thread sure is getting heated

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, I can forgive things like this if the work aims for the skies. That's why me and other Xenoaga die-hards loathe EP2. Far beyond the bad graphics or combat or music, it sold its soul. The thing that made us Xenosaga fans in the first place was abandoned to try and claw at more mainstream success. It failed dismally, pissed off old fans and failed to draw in new fans. Episode 3 being as good as it was given all it had to do and the fact the original directors and writers were largely absent is a feat for the ages.

Having never played any of the Xenosaga games, my memory of EP2 mostly boils down to a Game Informer review where the pull quote was "This is a dropped ball of Devil May Cry 2 proportions." They still gave it a 7/10.

Alaois posted:

You can tell that Crispin Freeman was having a blast playing him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I've always wanted to play a de-censored EP3 on PCSX2 or something but I don't think it exists. There are undubs but no thank you. I ain't losing the dub, I love the English dub. The podcast hasn't talked about how fantastic the dub is, especially for when it came out.

That was another bit about Xenosaga 2 that irritated, changing up some but not all voice actors. I think Shion and KOS-MOS at least. Now it is extremely likely they couldn't have been brought back or were too busy at the time or any of the reasons a voice actor doesn't come back but in 3 they ARE back so... yeah.

I did laugh at Shion getting Yuffie shorts in the third one.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

NikkolasKing posted:

I dunno, I can forgive things like this if the work aims for the skies. That's why me and other Xenoaga die-hards loathe EP2. Far beyond the bad graphics or combat or music, it sold its soul. The thing that made us Xenosaga fans in the first place was abandoned to try and claw at more mainstream success. It failed dismally, pissed off old fans and failed to draw in new fans. Episode 3 being as good as it was given all it had to do and the fact the original directors and writers were largely absent is a feat for the ages.

It's always been so weird to me that any Xenosaga fans, let alone a consensus, came to this conclusion because ye gods you can tell the writers of Episode 3 were rushing through 3 games worth of notes written by people they fired and packing it into a 20-25 hour "wrap it up wrap it up!!" package.

Now some of this is consequences of other decisions (like a crucial part of Shion's development and establishing herself as an independent character being in the episode they relegated to... I believe an online clicker game? that was summarized in a lore dump at the start of the game), but in the final episode 3 all the potentially-interesting philosophical ideas and exploration of heavy topics instead is just a series of Shocking Reveals that come across as horrifically misogynist nonsense with a heavy dose of straight nihilism. Like, while in gameplay terms you can absolutely argue 3 is better than 2. But in any other respect the rush job they made of all the revelations in the series, whose buildup in the first two completed episodes was a large part of their appeal... yeah I really don't get the appeal except as just disengaging with the games as written entirely and dwelling in the theoretical possibilities of it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

That was another bit about Xenosaga 2 that irritated, changing up some but not all voice actors. I think Shion and KOS-MOS at least. Now it is extremely likely they couldn't have been brought back or were too busy at the time or any of the reasons a voice actor doesn't come back but in 3 they ARE back so... yeah.

I did laugh at Shion getting Yuffie shorts in the third one.

Oh absolutely, they changed many voices so I don't think it was some kind of scheduling issue. Of the party members, they not only changed Shion and KOS-MOS but also chaos and MOMO. They kept the new chaos and MOMO for EP3, though. They also kept the new Wilhelm as he was Dub Kenshin in EP1 but became Vulpes in EP2 and 3. Not a bad change. I think that is part of why they kept MOMO and chaos as their new voices were good.

Or maybe it's just the fact they were less important than Shion and KOS-MOS. I know I personally was most bothered by their changes and I think one reason EP3 turned out so good was they really did listen to the fans. Obviously there were complaints galore after EP2 and the third game addressed pretty much all of them, like bringing back the original dub VAs for the two main ladies.

I will give EP2 this though, they brought in Keith Szarabajka(Harbinger in ME2, Joshua Graham in New Vegas, Holtz in Angel, a ton of other stuff) as the voice of Yuriev and that was a perfect casting choice. They kept him for EP3 too, thank god. My favorite Xenosaga villain.

EDIT:

CmdrKing posted:

It's always been so weird to me that any Xenosaga fans, let alone a consensus, came to this conclusion because ye gods you can tell the writers of Episode 3 were rushing through 3 games worth of notes written by people they fired and packing it into a 20-25 hour "wrap it up wrap it up!!" package.

Now some of this is consequences of other decisions (like a crucial part of Shion's development and establishing herself as an independent character being in the episode they relegated to... I believe an online clicker game? that was summarized in a lore dump at the start of the game), but in the final episode 3 all the potentially-interesting philosophical ideas and exploration of heavy topics instead is just a series of Shocking Reveals that come across as horrifically misogynist nonsense with a heavy dose of straight nihilism. Like, while in gameplay terms you can absolutely argue 3 is better than 2. But in any other respect the rush job they made of all the revelations in the series, whose buildup in the first two completed episodes was a large part of their appeal... yeah I really don't get the appeal except as just disengaging with the games as written entirely and dwelling in the theoretical possibilities of it.

I'd have to hear what you mean in more detail, like what specifically you find misogynistic or nihilistic. I dunno if this is the right thread for that, though. We can PM about it if you want/care enough but I'm just curious

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 17, 2021

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Jamie Faith posted:

lmao that was posted like 7 posts ago. I'm watching it now. It's pretty facinating! I had no idea Lou Bega was german

My buddy had gone on a trip to Europe right before Mambo No. 5 blew up here in the US and he said it was strange because he'd already heard it so many times over there.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Alaois posted:

if someone on the internet tells you they're into gnosticism, it's a 60/40 split that what they actually mean is that they're way into either SMT or Xenosaga

Or Aeon Flux.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

I will give EP2 this though, they brought in Keith Szarabajka(Harbinger in ME2, Joshua Graham in New Vegas, Holtz in Angel, a ton of other stuff) as the voice of Yuriev and that was a perfect casting choice. They kept him for EP3 too, thank god. My favorite Xenosaga villain.

Speaking of EP2 still, was I mistaken in thinking they made it harder on purpose and not in a fun use-your-brain way but instead inflating HP pools of enemies way?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Dawgstar posted:

Speaking of EP2 still, was I mistaken in thinking they made it harder on purpose and not in a fun use-your-brain way but instead inflating HP pools of enemies way?

It's been a long time since I played EP2 and even then I've never cared much about the gameplay in any of them. EP2 was the hardest of the trilogy by far and its endgame side content is apparently even harder than the main story. But I never did it because why on earth would I want to play even more.

I think ScurvyKip LP'ed the extra postgame content and his LP of both EP1 and 2 were very good
https://www.youtube.com/c/ScurvyKip/playlists

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

josh04 posted:

There is no objective quality in art. R. Mutt utterly obliterated the idea, shot it into the sun, objective quality is dead and gone forever, pals. This is the fundamental discovery of art in the 20th Century and pretending otherwise is reactionary nonsense and rightly ridiculed when we perceive it in crude right-wingers clinging to make-believe notions of "classical beauty" but somehow not when we look at "aggregate film review score website says director is bad". The challenge is to justify our likes and dislikes to ourselves and others in the context of our own experience, not to make excuses, divine appeals and self-flatteries. This is why hbomberguy's Fallout video is very good and his Sherlock video is very bad.

They're both objectively good.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The only Xeno saga I care about are the alien films

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Oh, so that's where Araki got that idea for Part 7!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Groovelord Neato posted:

They're both objectively good.

This is part of the silliness of it all: objectively good reviews of objectively good art, in a chain of objective justifications all the way back to what? You end up tied in knots trying to split the difference between "an eternal and external aesthetic of beauty" and "but not God though!" And all the while that urinal sits on a plinth, mocking you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Nobody is dying on the hill of objectivity here. This entire objectivity thing only started because apparently you need to lead every "it's good/bad" statement with "In my opinion..." to make it clear you know you're not making an objective statement. Ideally followed by a long essay explaining your subjective experience and reaction to a thing to make it clear you don't think of something objectively. And like that's nice and all to read to me, but it's not what the rest of the internet or IRL society has trained us to do or expect out of art critiques.

Like there are objective observations you can make about art that might feed into your subjective interpretations and all, but nobody thinks MauLer is actually making objective criticisms besides maybe himself and the weirdos who think he's insightful ammunition to use in their culture war. The only time I've ever seen normal people say "objectively" is as a hyperbolic intensifier and it's up there with getting worked up over someone saying "literally" when they mean metaphorically in terms of an uphill semantic nerd slapfight topic.