Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Man this and Deltarune C2 coming out a day apart. I'm waiting for Half Life 2 Episode 3 to mysteriously show up this weekend at this rate. The waits are over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I ran a goon server back in the spring but my video card went kaput and I can only get 9-10 fps in vanilla game now with onboard graphics. That being said, is anyone running a server I can come futz around on? I don't think I can do combat.

All the goon built stuff on the prior servers were amazing and I could get them back online, but we went to all of mistlands/ashlands/etc so I don't think they'll be worth revisiting. Kind of stinks considering how great some of the buildings were.

edit the cartography table is VERY cool

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Sep 16, 2021

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I've loaded it up for a few minutes only. The cartography table looks cool and the cauldron improvement stuff is nice, though right now most of my homes are built around having a large central hearth in the open middle and the hanging pots/pans/spice rack stuff might look weird. Inverted 26 and 45 corner pieces too.

You can build a Lox saddle! I haven't tamed Lox in this world so don't know what that does yet but...yeah! Also need to find some "darkwood" whatever that is, for some more build pieces.

I might say gently caress it and just start a new game, then use devmode to eventually re-create the buildings I like.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

EDIT: Nevermind!

Otacon fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 26, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Anyone know how to connect to a local server? I've got the Valheim Dedicated Server running on my own PC, with the Game server connected message showing up in the batch file to start it, but not I'm not entirely sure how to connect to it in a way that both my friend and I can join? Steam doesn't see it as an active server, and if I try to connect to my own IP address it fails to connect. I can just join the world locally give that it's on my PC, but then I'd be worried that we won't actually be in the same instance when my friend connects?

e: if I add -public 1 to the server command I can't see it in the server browser either, hmmm

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Sep 16, 2021

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone know how to connect to a local server? I've got the Valheim Dedicated Server running on my own PC, with the Game server connected message showing up in the batch file to start it, but not I'm not entirely sure how to connect to it in a way that both my friend and I can join? Steam doesn't see it as an active server, and if I try to connect to my own IP address it fails to connect. I can just join the world locally give that it's on my PC, but then I'd be worried that we won't actually be in the same instance when my friend connects?

e: if I add -public 1 to the server command I can't see it in the server browser either, hmmm

Try increasing the port you're connecting to by 1. I forget the exact ports, but if the game is running on port 23456, try connecting to port 23457.

Squibbles
Aug 24, 2000

Mwaha ha HA ha!

Otacon posted:

Try increasing the port you're connecting to by 1. I forget the exact ports, but if the game is running on port 23456, try connecting to port 23457.

I think I might have even had to increase it by 2 before for some reason

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Otacon posted:

Beauty, that did it alright, can access it through the Steam server browser now.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
A lot of my friends are whining about melee combat being horrible now. Any opinions so far?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

https://www.reddit.com/r/valheim/comments/ppghp2/recreated_shreks_swamp_house/

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

FrickenMoron posted:

A lot of my friends are whining about melee combat being horrible now. Any opinions so far?

I find melee combat mostly the same as before but then again I haven't fought against Fulings or other tough opponents yet.

I started the game the first time since January and am a bit confused again having to remember what does what.. one of the problems is that my friend hosted our joined world and basically my own is a small shack - albeit with all the necessary amenities - but not much grandeur. For example, there was no way of getting rid of this mound here, and now it's inside my house - I just can't level it no matter what I do.

It's mostly because I completely suck at every kind of house crafting in any games. In Conan Exiles my friends built elaborate palaces filled with imaginative designs whereas I could maybe build a square wooden hut.

The cartography table will be a nice update for sure. Anyone can tell me how to work the stone oven? I assume it's for making bread and pies since those recipes were removed from the cauldron, but I can't figure how to make 'em. The food system seems a bit more complicated, I figured out how to make some ice cream but haven't found any other new foods that give you lots of stamina.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Sep 16, 2021

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
Have you tried using the pick instead of the hoe? You can only level ground so far, you probably need to actually mine that out to get rid of it and then level it once it's down a bit

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yea pickaxe should get rid of that in one or two hits

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I'm tempted to start over for this update, but I don't want to burn out on this game with so many updates to come. Maybe I'll go from the start, up to swamps, and then bring over my silver( or is it steel?) from my OG save?

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Not enough new blocks. Too many new foods/cooking recipes (none would be good.)

I get that this is a small indie development team so new content is gonna be slow, but man...

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, considering one unpaid hobbyist created a mod with an entire tiered magic weapon and tools aspect of the game within a month of the game's release, a few new food recipes after 7 months is a big lol

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And it sounds like there just isn't a good way to get both health and stamina anymore, and you really need both since blocking is now tied to your health bar. So the high end areas force you to stack health to survive, and then you're left walking everywhere slowly and constantly needing breaks to go anywhere in the mountains. Sounds real bad.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah after a night of playing, the stamina nerf felt really brutal. Even with previously made good endgame foods you run out immediately. To the point it's not really challenging, more unfun and sluggish.

Don't think this update will have enough for our group to come back and start a new game especially if the food/stamina system is gonna be like this.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

Yeah, considering one unpaid hobbyist created a mod with an entire tiered magic weapon and tools aspect of the game within a month of the game's release, a few new food recipes after 7 months is a big lol

Are you referring to Epic Loot, or is there another similar mod?

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
It's a tough balancing act, high tier foods before made the game a complete joke to where unless 8 fulings were running at me I was half awake. I guess with this new system you either go 2 stamina 1 health or 1 stamina 2 health and you just deal with your health bar not shooting through the top left corner of your monitor into your ceiling.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well they almost had it with those two star Fulings who can't be parried, those guys were beasts. It's not like they couldn't add more challenging stuff, doing this with the food system kind of feels like the worst "fix" possible.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
https://twitter.com/Valheimgame/status/1438771040650412032

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I dunno, a basic system of two health one stamina outside of base, two stamina one health inside of base seems fine to me. I like how I can immediately get three kinds of meat.

Blaise330
Aug 13, 2007

GOD'S FAVORITE CHAMPION
Normally I roll my eyes when people on twitter nag devs saying "omg this nerf took all the fun out of the game" cause 99% of the time its just players being pussies and the devs will gently caress up their own game design trying to make them happy, but the fact this is tied to the running and climbing in a game that's almost entirely running and climbing.... yeah they earned that complaint this time. I wouldn't mind some stamina buffs on stuff or a super ultra stamina food so a 2 health 1 stamina belly is viable, but I don't think the "PERFECT FOR LITERALLY EVERY SITUATION EVER" foods need to come back.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Blaise330 posted:

Normally I roll my eyes when people on twitter nag devs saying "omg this nerf took all the fun out of the game" cause 99% of the time its just players being pussies and the devs will gently caress up their own game design trying to make them happy, but the fact this is tied to the running and climbing in a game that's almost entirely running and climbing.... yeah they earned that complaint this time. I wouldn't mind some stamina buffs on stuff or a super ultra stamina food so a 2 health 1 stamina belly is viable, but I don't think the "PERFECT FOR LITERALLY EVERY SITUATION EVER" foods need to come back.

Sounds like they balanced the new system around the combat but didn't take adequate account of the constraint on traveling movement created by being tighter on stamina. It seems like they were trying to make it a tradeoff between your character being better at offense versus defense, not create these other issues.

I would think the correct answer here is to create an out of combat buff to compensate. Maybe if you've got your weapons sheathed running/jumping takes half as much stamina or something like that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
This was just posted on Reddit. It's a test patch from today.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

BrianRx posted:

Are you referring to Epic Loot, or is there another similar mod?

Yes, the one by Randy Knapp

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I really hope they give us more time to try the current balance before reversing themselves; I'm inherently suspicious any time there's a knee jerk reaction to a patch, even if it's mine. I kind of liked it being harder to go up slopes or outrun aggro from the Black Forest.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Tweaked weapons but still can't hit anything with my spear that's slightly higher or lower than me :eng99:

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

modders will always, always outpace the actual developers because often they have more time to dedicate to the game and aren't as constrained by the audience.

you could take a look at almost any major Terraria mod and it'll have double the content, mechanics and more compared to the actual updates.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
How does a modder, even an unemployed modder, have more time to dedicate than someone doing it for a living? Serious question, that doesn't make any sense to me, is this a thing?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Because high level modders are usually unemployed people whose all consuming obsession is their mods.

This update is the biggest fiasco I've seen since that time Paradox pushed out a DLC patch that completely broke CK2 and then went on holiday for 2 weeks. I have to admit I've pretty much lost all optimism that these devs have a clue why this game made them millionaires.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Jack B Nimble posted:

How does a modder, even an unemployed modder, have more time to dedicate than someone doing it for a living? Serious question, that doesn't make any sense to me, is this a thing?

uh, because modders can just do whatever they feel like on the timeframe they feel like and kind of push out whatever without having to worry how millions of people will react because, at worst, even if their work messes up the game somehow it won't bite them in the rear end

this isn't really complicated

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

Jack B Nimble posted:

because modders will frequently work well beyond 8 hours a day, 40 hours a week and they don't have to deal with the typical processes that slows down professional development such as scrum, managing deployments across multiple platforms and pesky things like 'vacation time'.

semi-professional modding teams that work with people that have full time jobs or work on a pace to avoid burnout will often have release schedules similar to or longer than the actual devs themselves assuming that the game still receives frequent updates.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

pik_d posted:

This was just posted on Reddit. It's a test patch from today.

Could tar pits something you need to make roof shingles (don't know where "dark wood" might be found) and maybe other stuff? Could be you need to make a new world to get that.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ok, fair, I was thinking of hobbyists working in the evenings, not someone spending an unhealthy amount of time, even more than the crunch game dev is infamous for.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

central dogma posted:

Tweaked weapons but still can't hit anything with my spear that's slightly higher or lower than me :eng99:

Yeah I found myself relying a lot on spear throws even in effectively melee distance. I like it a lot, I just wish there was a plains-tier spear.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

I still have large swaths of unexplored land, but they said there are new items that only spawn in new regions. Does this mean if I just hop on a boat and go exploring and relocate my base, I'll be set?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok, fair, I was thinking of hobbyists working in the evenings, not someone spending an unhealthy amount of time, even more than the crunch game dev is infamous for.

In fact, the studio i worked in has picked up a couple people who's start was modding. He made some of the more popular zombie maps for COD (i forget which one, i kinda don't like COD so it goes in the unneeded info pile).

I asked him how much time he spent modding, he would get up, mod for 4 hours, eat, probably mod for the rest of the day, go to sleep. Occasionally he'd mod with a film on. It was basically his life. Anyone who didn't like his mod was "wrong" in his words, too, so he basically poo poo out his vision and didn't care about anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

dogstile posted:

In fact, the studio i worked in has picked up a couple people who's start was modding. He made some of the more popular zombie maps for COD (i forget which one, i kinda don't like COD so it goes in the unneeded info pile).

I asked him how much time he spent modding, he would get up, mod for 4 hours, eat, probably mod for the rest of the day, go to sleep. Occasionally he'd mod with a film on. It was basically his life. Anyone who didn't like his mod was "wrong" in his words, too, so he basically poo poo out his vision and didn't care about anything else.

Uh, are these modders that get picked up by studious actually going to be a good thing for that studios work?