Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

LonesomeCrowdedWest posted:

What could changing the names possibly do other than cause confusion / feed conspiracy theories? I don’t get it

They’ve had these names for a longass time, but no one has used them because 1) as old as these names are, they do postdate emergency use authorization and 2) they’re very silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

What could changing the names possibly do other than cause confusion / feed conspiracy theories? I don’t get it
They should come out with alternate names like MagaVax and OwnTheLibs so we can see how that changes vaccine uptake.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

They should come out with alternate names like MagaVax and OwnTheLibs so we can see how that changes vaccine uptake.

PatriotShield

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Ivaxmectin

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

I thought medicine names couldn't have real words in them like that? Figured Spike would be on that list.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OgNar posted:

I had a person who was once my friend come over last weekend.
When she last moved, it was into a smaller apartment so I chose to store some of her items in my place since I had room.
Sadly over the past year she has fallen into the Trump cult mindset and has become intolerable.
Our last few conversations had degenerated into yelling matches over Trump and Covid and it was me that was brainwashed by CNN.

When announcing she was coming over to grab some stuff I asked if she had been vaccinated yet, knowing previously that she was a denier.
Normally we would hang out and do things, but there was no way that was going to happen this time.
She ignored my asking 3 times and when I had her here she finally admitted that it was OK because she had antibodies.

That was how last Sunday went.
When the last of her stuff goes, i'm pretty sure we'll never talk again.

Park her poo poo on the curb and tell her she's got till the next garbage day to pick it up.

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

A Sherlock Holmes villain, a Spider-Man villain, and a Bond villainess.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Spazzle posted:

PatriotShield
:hmmyes:

Sono posted:

lol

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
wasn't doctor doom from vaxzervia?

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

JAIL FAUCI

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Stink Billyums posted:

Nah your thinking of valtrex

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Drug or Tolkein Elf is a good game.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Vid-B-Gon

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sono posted:

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

https://twitter.com/rocket_jenross/status/1438498392204890112

She is actually one of the smartest person she knows.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

ben shapino posted:

https://twitter.com/rocket_jenross/status/1438498392204890112

She is actually one of the smartest person she knows.

Does she realize that having quotes around "real" makes it come off as ironic and not some middle of the road compromise?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fallom posted:

Why are people with treatable, survivable conditions being turned away from hospitals full of COVID patients that are presumably less likely to survive? I think I'm still confused about how triage is being employed. It seems like hospitals are only practicing it at admittance and won't discharge patients once admitted.

The mild covid patients can just be fitted with an oxygen cannula and parked in a makeshift ward in a tent or in the carpark with a RN and a handful of interns to watch over them, it's the ICU beds that are the big issue when it comes to triage. Severe covid cases who don't need intubation have a pretty good chance of surviving and once they've been intubated and put into an induced coma the hospital is stuck with them until their condition changes, and back during the last wave the intubated patients could linger for weeks before they died. 'Tubed patients seem to be dying a lot quicker under delta and not lingering as long so uhhhhh I guess that's good news in regards to triage????

I've also been hearing stories of mild covid cases being sent back home with oxygen, expect to see a lot more of that happening in the coming weeks

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Zugzwang posted:

Someone in the c-spam thread posted a nice graph of cases since the beginning of the pandemic. Suffice to say that we are starting from a way higher baseline now than we were last year at this time, and cases only went way up from there.

Obviously we have vaccines now and a lot more "natural immunity", so who knows how that will all shake out, but still. It's not looking good.

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Cases don't matter anymore, only deaths.
:thumbsup:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
:coronatoot:

Get your booster shots and respirator up, folks.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Stink Billyums posted:

No, no, dr doom was with vaxzervia not from vaxzervia

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Those names are alright if you think of them as Pokémon starters. Spikevax is totally a cute little cactus grass type.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

smoobles posted:

once it's approved I bet SpikeVax will have some badass, 90s toy-style TV commercials

Looking forward to getting triple spikevax boosted.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I think Moderna made a good choice for name.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
It's 2032. The new Redbull vaccine SickKilla has been developed to fight the Lungbuster variant.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

It's 2032. The new Redbull vaccine SickKilla has been developed to fight the Lungbuster variant.

Lungbuster could be a Final Fantasy boss.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

HD DAD posted:

They already exist they are called malboro

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

1500 people died of-or-with-Covid today… in Florida alone

https://twitter.com/EricTopol/status/1438703947804393473?s=20

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
And they are all unvaccinated people, wild. Why won't people just get their shot??

Barudak
May 7, 2007

How are u posted:

And they are all unvaccinated people, wild. Why won't people just get their shot??

They were all in love with dying they were doing it in Florida

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Barudak posted:

They’re doing it in Texas too, I assure you

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Barudak posted:

Zugzwang posted:

They’re doing it in Texas too, I assure you

They were drinking from a fountain
Covid pouring like an avalanche
Coming down the mountain

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Sep 17, 2021

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Unfortunately the avalanche is still going up the mountain.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A mountain of corpses, that is

This might fix global warming tho? Ron DethSantis 2024

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

HD DAD posted:

It's called Emerald Weapon

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The mild covid patients can just be fitted with an oxygen cannula and parked in a makeshift ward in a tent or in the carpark with a RN and a handful of interns to watch over them, it's the ICU beds that are the big issue when it comes to triage. Severe covid cases who don't need intubation have a pretty good chance of surviving and once they've been intubated and put into an induced coma the hospital is stuck with them until their condition changes, and back during the last wave the intubated patients could linger for weeks before they died. 'Tubed patients seem to be dying a lot quicker under delta and not lingering as long so uhhhhh I guess that's good news in regards to triage????

I've also been hearing stories of mild covid cases being sent back home with oxygen, expect to see a lot more of that happening in the coming weeks

...... and sometimes their crazy conspiracist buddies convince them to leave the discharge themselves because they think the doctors are trying to murder them, apparently. :pwn:
https://twitter.com/culladgh/status/1437898504714739713
E: and of course that patient rapidly deteriorated and had to be rushed back to hospital
https://twitter.com/culladgh/status/1438528311672532994

E: this one is pretty hosed up as well, family gets slammed by covid (the father was in the ICU for 63 days and died) because another family let their kid go on playdates even though the rest of them were covid positive
https://twitter.com/AnniAless/status/1438420854065487874

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 17, 2021

Mysterious Jim
Sep 7, 2021

Zil posted:

I thought medicine names couldn't have real words in them like that? Figured Spike would be on that list.
It's pronounced Spiké

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Stink Billyums posted:

A couple months ago Alberta decided to follow Florida's lead and basically declare the pandemic over and stop doing anything to mitigate it.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1438300023561801730

Oopsie, we killed a bunch of our voters by not taking the deadly virus seriously. Who could have possibly foreseen this?!

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Stink Billyums posted:

A couple months ago Alberta decided to follow Florida's lead and basically declare the pandemic over and stop doing anything to mitigate it.

https://twitter.com/CBCNews/status/1438300023561801730

typical Canadian, always apologizing

it's trademark poo poo

Zil posted:

the i is actually one of those upside down Spanish exclamation points

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

QuarkJets posted:

Oopsie, we killed a bunch of our voters by not taking the deadly virus seriously. Who could have possibly foreseen this?!
”Who could have imagined this would happen when we removed the cadmium rods from the reactor? Sorrryyy :(

At least everyone responsible will resign, right guys!

…guys?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol I'm not giving them, I just point people at chairs (and try to catch them if they fall out of them).

Basically early on in the pandemic the UK government asked for volunteers to help out with delivering food and drugs to people isolating, ferrying people to and from doctors appointments, etc. I (and 700k other people suddenly at a loose end due to lockdown) signed up with the Royal Voluntary Service and when it came time to start vaccinating they asked for help with stewarding, because most of the centres are small pharmacies or other venues that don't really have the staff to handle simple stuff like cleaning chairs, managing queues, etc.

I've been doing a half-day every week or so since spring - originally because it let me jump the queue to get that sweet sweet vax in my veins, but I've kept it on both because it's a lot of fun for me - it's nice to be out and about, and to get to order people around while wearing hiviz soothes a deep part of my soul - and also because it is actually fairly important. Not as much as the actual clinical staff, obviously, but we're the human face on the majority of the process, and just with a bit of light banter and minimal organisational skills it makes everything a lot less stressful for all involved.

I've also (and look away now the people who believe that everyone should be sitting at home glistening in hand sanitiser) used it as an excuse to get into quite a few places I'd never be able to get into ordinarily - the Science Museum was a particular highlight, one of my favourite places when I was a kid, and getting to sneak in through the staff entrance and walk through the at-the-time completely closed halls on my breaks was fantastic. When they started to use football stadiums as mass centres I took the opportunity to do a bit of ground-hopping too, at stadiums from the tiny Brisbane Road (which has a pharmacy in the health centre built into its new main stand) to the Emirates. The absolute highlight though was getting to go to the London Stadium, a place I have a season ticket for but of course haven't been able to visit for over a year, and not only get to take breaks in the ultra-swish executive boxes but also, thrillingly, got to walk on the hallowed carpet around the pitch (this is a joke that basically means nothing to any non-West Ham fan but trust me, it's a big thing).

Rambling aside, the use of RVS and other voluntary orgs definitely has helped with our relatively fast rollout, because stuff like queue management and babysitting the people who've had their jab is something that would otherwise take actual useful people away from their roles (and it's very, very notable just how much slicker the NHS+volunteer-run vaccination centres are than the Serco and other private-sector run mass testing centres are)

Sorry to bring this post up from pages ago but I'm catching up and wanted to thank you for your service. Doing selfless stuff like this is what the world is seriously lacking right now, really proud of you (genuinely!)